Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There is definitely money to be saved, but the opinion against buying a bike to save money comes from the many questions on various forums the past few years, where the poster makes a comment on increasing fuel prices, his truck is expensive to run and he wants confirming advice on a mint 06 CBR1000 with Akra pots and a Power Commander...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Well, yeah, but the answer is still "do it."

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ola posted:

There is definitely money to be saved, but the opinion against buying a bike to save money comes from the many questions on various forums the past few years, where the poster makes a comment on increasing fuel prices, his truck is expensive to run and he wants confirming advice on a mint 06 CBR1000 with Akra pots and a Power Commander...

Hmm, going to call my insurance company and see about adding that 125 onto the policy for the F2. It's in dire need of a home made "Povertovic" exhaust system to replace the huge OEM item, and some egregious stickers. I plan to talk the owner round with promises of a free battery and replacing the ancient Deathwings with Distanzias.

e:

Saga fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 14, 2011

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Put a set of Norman Hyde rear set controls on my Bonneville. Makes the seating position a bit sportier, and the bike seems like it's easier to lean into and out of corners now. The lower position of the brake pedal took a bit of getting used to though.

I'm thinking of changing the handlebars next, prob should have just bought a Thruxton in the first place, but this way it's my bike, not a factory job.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Goddamit, dropped the bike off for a service and it turns out the cold top-end noise wasn't out of spec valves, it was a shagged cam-chain and tensioner. *sigh* Another ~$450 in parts + labour on top of the ~$350 for the normal service. Ah well, at least it got caught now before it snapped.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

Put a set of Norman Hyde rear set controls on my Bonneville. Makes the seating position a bit sportier, and the bike seems like it's easier to lean into and out of corners now. The lower position of the brake pedal took a bit of getting used to though.

I'm thinking of changing the handlebars next, prob should have just bought a Thruxton in the first place, but this way it's my bike, not a factory job.

Oooorah devil dog! (Is that a new custom title or am I confused?)

Have you sorted out the shocks yet? Based on my brother in law's Bonnie (the cast rim one - can't remember what they call it...), they're the first thing I'd sort out for a little more chassis performance. I like the Bonnie, but it does drag its rear end a bit.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

Let me know if you find a pair you're happy with. I'm not a big fan of the stock handlebars, but all of the replacements I like the looks of seem like they could put me in a less comfortable riding position.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's time for some maths, stats and bike biased analysis!

Fuelly.com and keeping my service records is adding up to some useful data. I did a quick and dirty cost analysis, had to do some finger-in-the-wind extrapolation but should be pretty accurate.

Over 30,000 km I go through two rear tyres, one front, one set of chain + sprockets + 5 cans of lube and oil change every 5000 (I go further, but shortened interval to account for consumption + filters). Also included one set of brake pads all around. I then added road tax and insurance divided by three (since I do about 10,000 pr year) and came out with 0.96 NOK pr km, or 0.28 USD pr mi.

The pr km cost from fuelly adds up to 77% of running costs, giving it a pretty big leverage on totals. If I could go twice as far on my already frugal chains, sprockets and tires, I would get down to 0.89 NOK pr km. But a 10% decrease in fuel consumption brings me down to 0.87 NOK pr km. Both are unrealistic as improvements, but it does show that picking a higher mileage bike has a big impact given similar maintenance conditions.

Now for some travel cost comparisons, a 40 km bus ride I take quite often costs 49 NOK, or 1.23 NOK pr km - 28% more expensive than riding.

Bergen - Oslo is 499 km according to Google Maps, that ends up at 479 NOK. Plane trips can be had as low as 299, but the cheapest train ticket from Oslo airport to the city is 110, while the Bergen airport bus is 95. That gives a lowest possible total of 504 NOK.

There is also a train service between Bergen and Oslo, lowest price is 499.

I live within walking distance of work, but if I moved outside the city centre I could take the bus. It costs 25 NOK one way within the municipality, which breaks even with the bike at 26 km. That's over twice the distance to the dense suburbs that surround the city, typical burbs are around 12 km away - less than half the price of the bus. There are toll roads into the city centre, but bikes pay nothing.

A 30 day bus pass is 660 NOK. Given 22 work days in that period, that comes out at 15 NOK pr trip, breaking even with the bike at 14.4 km which is easily beyond the suburb radius.

Yes, that doesn't account for repairs, tools, riding gear etc etc. There are also routes where ferries are unavoidable, that adds a lot to the total pr journey. It's also amusing to note I have already amassed 40% of the 30,000 km running costs in speeding fines alone. But I'm looking for self justification am I not? Bike ownership loving vindicated!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
You could cycle if you lived in the 'burbs. What about that cool tricycle (bicycle?) in the my first bike thread. Still got that somewhere?

Alternatively, if you're only talking 12km, the best option would be something like

http://www.icebug.se/Product.aspx?m=436

poo poo, I WISH I could live 12km from work... :( My wife won't move any closer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Running 12 km every morning without a shower at work (let alone a body capable of it) is such an unrealistic option for me you might as well compare to a magic carpet.

Haven't got the bike anymore sadly. I would consider a bicycle if I was 5-ish km away from work and could choose streets outside the normal commuter flow. Then after some consideration I would reject it and ride the GSX anyway. :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I will allow the soothing strains of Hollywood Holt to answer all of your questions about cheap commuting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_kIUSr7-is

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Z3n posted:

I will allow the soothing strains of Hollywood Holt to answer all of your questions about cheap commuting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_kIUSr7-is

Haha, I love that song, but those guys are loving idiots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yJcP4YQ1cU&NR=1&feature=fvwp

"We're not hipsters, we grew up in lower middle class neighborhoods!"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wonder what the increased running costs and initial investment of a kit is compared to a stock bitch.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ola posted:

Running 12 km every morning without a shower at work (let alone a body capable of it) is such an unrealistic option for me you might as well compare to a magic carpet.

Haven't got the bike anymore sadly. I would consider a bicycle if I was 5-ish km away from work and could choose streets outside the normal commuter flow. Then after some consideration I would reject it and ride the GSX anyway. :D

You can do a lot with a towel, a tap, a toilet stall and deoderant. My new office doesn't feature a shower either, but when I cycle in, that's what I do.

12km is like 7.5 miles...a month of gradually increasing training, even if you start from a base of zero running experience, and you could manage that without any trouble.

ne: I can't listen to videos at work, but I gather it involves some OG style Puch Maxi love. Respect.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I considered riding my bicycle to work (10 miles-ish), and after some consideration I rejected it and continue to ride my Pegaso anyway. Now I need to do something with the push-bike before all the bits that can rust do. Best option I think would be to trade it for a folding bike which I could more realistically ride to the nearest tube station and then lock up at work (as well as keep in my front hallway at home). However, given my track record, this idea would probably also be rejected in favour of taking the Pegaso anyway.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saga posted:

You can do a lot with a towel, a tap, a toilet stall and deoderant. My new office doesn't feature a shower either, but when I cycle in, that's what I do.

12km is like 7.5 miles...a month of gradually increasing training, even if you start from a base of zero running experience, and you could manage that without any trouble.

ne: I can't listen to videos at work, but I gather it involves some OG style Puch Maxi love. Respect.

I appreciate the theoretical possibility (although a towel down in the bathroom is not really an option) and the health benefits, but it's just not happening. I do a bit of walking, there are nice scenic hikes practically in the Bergen city center and walking 2.6 km (1.6 mi) to work, in any weather, is just nice. The only time I will run on purpose, non-emergency, is doing the "running man" on the dancefloor.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

12k on a road bike is peanuts, especially in your nordic summers you won't really sweat. Give yourself sufficient time so you don't have to really push it hard and you'll be fine. This coming from someone who sweats more than normal.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

12k on a road bike is peanuts, especially in your nordic summers you won't really sweat. Give yourself sufficient time so you don't have to really push it hard and you'll be fine. This coming from someone who sweats more than normal.

Shh, I want to see him do it on the [e: kiddie bike!]

Saga fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 15, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Saga posted:

Shh, I want to see him do it on the [e: kiddie bike!]

Ola is my hero.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Why can you not get yellow rubber for motorcycles?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ola posted:

Why can you not get yellow rubber for motorcycles?

:colbert:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Ah yes, the burnout upgrades.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

So happy to stand corrected.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

JP Money posted:

I got by just fine on my F4i on the cheap. Cheap bike, insurance is 110 a year, gets about 35mpg around town, parts aren't unreasonable, etc. Doesn't mean I couldn't go wayyy overboard with dumb add-on's. I don't try to justify it as economical though, I certainly haven't saved the cost of the bike + gas, insurance, parts, etc. in the time I've had it compared to my car.

35 mpg? You can get 40mpg out of the F4i easy. If I keep mine up in the powerband, then I get like 37 mpg. Might want to check your air filter or something :)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

xd posted:

35 mpg? You can get 40mpg out of the F4i easy. If I keep mine up in the powerband, then I get like 37 mpg. Might want to check your air filter or something :)

It was replaced a few months ago making no difference. That's city, not highway. Highway I'd get near 40. I never put on a speedo healer but I went 1 down in front so it's a bit off I guess but not by much. It's not exactly advanced fuel injection, at least that's what I chalked it up to.

Doesn't matter now, it just got totaled :haw:

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

JP Money posted:

It was replaced a few months ago making no difference. That's city, not highway. Highway I'd get near 40. I never put on a speedo healer but I went 1 down in front so it's a bit off I guess but not by much. It's not exactly advanced fuel injection, at least that's what I chalked it up to.

Doesn't matter now, it just got totaled :haw:

I guess 35 would make sense then. What did you trade up for?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

xd posted:

I guess 35 would make sense then. What did you trade up for?

As of right now? A check in the mail from their insurance. I'm in the search for something newer with USD forks and a bit more performance I guess. I still can't really knock the F4i for anything even though I've tried. For someone who has had some dirt experience and a level head I really have no problem recommending it for semi-beginners. It was a joy at slower speeds but still kept up with all the newer bikes. The upright seating position was nice in town but I feel like I wanted something a bit more "race" inspired for harder riding. It's also pretty forgiving of little slip ups and things but maybe that's just my experience with it.

I'm still nowhere near fast enough to be close to maxing out the F4i though, don't get me wrong. I've just got new bike fever haha. I'm pretty sure all the upgrades I'm seeking are more bling than truly necessary upgrades.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

For what it's worth, my Harley is now QUIET.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I popped my wheelie cherry (on-road, anyway, I did one on the Ninja in the parking lot at work when I shifted into first without the clutch, with the choke on and the bike running at ~6k) today by accident when I got mad at a taxi turning right from the middle lane of Highland and cutting me off. Popped the front up MAYBE 3 inches, but :feelsgood:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VTNewb posted:

For what it's worth, my Harley is now QUIET.

Blasphemy! What'd you do to it?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Speaking of accidentally doing things, I accidentally launched the R6 going to work last week. The horn switch on my bike is still messed up from when I crashed in October and I can't be assed to fix it, so I don't have a horn. So instead, whenever someone does something retarded I give them a nice 20000rpm blip of the throttle.

I was turning right onto a 2 lane street. Dudebro in his accord was making a left out of a gas station on the road I was turning onto. People do this all the time at this intersection so I saw him long before I ever turned onto the road. I was never in danger of him hitting me, but I let him get pretty close to my bike, so he probably thought he was going to hit me. By this time I was nearly stopped and gave him the 'ole blip. All was well so I was starting to accelerate back to speed. Well, it turns out I didn't let the clutch out as much as I thought. So when I got hard on the gas the revs spiked back to around 18k. At this point I was already feathering the clutch and could feel the front wheel starting to get light so I said gently caress it and went with it.

Now If only I could do that on demand :(

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Made it stock :D

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

-Inu- posted:

Speaking of accidentally doing things, I accidentally launched the R6 going to work last week. The horn switch on my bike is still messed up from when I crashed in October and I can't be assed to fix it, so I don't have a horn. So instead, whenever someone does something retarded I give them a nice 20000rpm blip of the throttle.

I was turning right onto a 2 lane street. Dudebro in his accord was making a left out of a gas station on the road I was turning onto. People do this all the time at this intersection so I saw him long before I ever turned onto the road. I was never in danger of him hitting me, but I let him get pretty close to my bike, so he probably thought he was going to hit me. By this time I was nearly stopped and gave him the 'ole blip. All was well so I was starting to accelerate back to speed. Well, it turns out I didn't let the clutch out as much as I thought. So when I got hard on the gas the revs spiked back to around 18k. At this point I was already feathering the clutch and could feel the front wheel starting to get light so I said gently caress it and went with it.

Now If only I could do that on demand :(
Accidentally finding balance point is an interesting experience. :D

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Well that's obvious isn't it...

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Saga posted:

Well that's obvious isn't it...

Had to lay 'er down?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Saga posted:

Oooorah devil dog! (Is that a new custom title or am I confused?)

Have you sorted out the shocks yet? Based on my brother in law's Bonnie (the cast rim one - can't remember what they call it...), they're the first thing I'd sort out for a little more chassis performance. I like the Bonnie, but it does drag its rear end a bit.

New custom title, apparently a Marine wasn't happy with my opinions about his service. :v:

Haven't done anything with the shocks yet, not sure what direction I'd go with that. I'm thinking of getting an air box removal kit, and working out the controls. Has anyone tried flipping the stock bars upside down?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

New custom title, apparently a Marine wasn't happy with my opinions about his service. :v:

Haven't done anything with the shocks yet, not sure what direction I'd go with that. I'm thinking of getting an air box removal kit, and working out the controls. Has anyone tried flipping the stock bars upside down?

Marines can type? Holy poo poo dude we're in trouble now.

If you flip the bars would you possibly hit the tank under full lock?

I'm guessing from my limited Bonnie-riding experience that if you want it to handle like a cafe racer, you're going to need more ride height and more spring at the back. It basically sits on/rotates around the back axle even when you aren't on the throttle. To let you load the front properly and let the back end work for harder/"sportier" riding, I'd sort out the shocks before making changes to riding position or adding more power.

Just my 2c...

MotoMind posted:

Had to lay 'er down?

Well it's quieter now it don't hardly run no more...

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well, the first thing I did when I bought it is de-eagled it. The only problem is I had SCREAMIN' EAGLE pipes on the thing. The bike has been sitting at my friends house for a month now, and he tossed on my high pipes and the optional extra ($$$) baffles. Just took the thing out yesterday. It's quiet enough that I can hear the intake.

My butt dyno says more top end power, but who knows. Need to take it back to a real dyno.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

MotoMind posted:

Had to lay 'er down?

I'm not exaggerating that I just choked on a mouthful of breakfast when I loving read this, holy poo poo hahaha. Perfect timing man, perfect timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I AM SO BUMMED! Went to the Backfire-moto meet last night in Ballard and went home with a huge goddamn nail in my 1000-mile old 180-width ME880, and it's not exactly a slow leak. Now I have to go through the bother of taking the wheel off, bringing it to a shop for a patch, and crossing my fingers it doesn't need to be replaced, because it wasn't a cheap tire.