Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Radish posted:

EDIT: Sure no problem VV

Reposted. Conservatives in my Facebook friends, WATCH OUT :colbert:

My German relatives might freak out but they'll survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Amused to Death posted:

Brilliant. Mind if I steal it to post around?

The danger is that people will see that and not see anything wrong with it.

The other one was harder to wiggle out of, as it used the same picture as the original.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

XyloJW posted:

How do you have no need for a pickup truck? Do you never buy, move, or sell furniture or do yardwork?

The ones festooned with crying eagles usually show no signs of ever having been used for any of these things. Trucks are a fetish associated with a cultural identity originally based upon doing the kind of work that required a truck. But many of the fetishists no longer do that kind of work.

Furthermore it is possible to do most of these things with any vehicle.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

VideoTapir posted:

The ones festooned with crying eagles usually show no signs of ever having been used for any of these things. Trucks are a fetish associated with a cultural identity originally based upon doing the kind of work that required a truck. But many of the fetishists no longer do that kind of work.

Furthermore it is possible to do most of these things with any vehicle.

How do you propose moving a refrigerator in a sedan? Trucks are not exclusively associated with that cultural fetish; sometimes they're associated with people who do do that work. My family's used several trucks, and the only placards, bumper stickers, and other decals those trucks have born is the "Coexist" sticker on the current truck, and possibly "Visualize whirled peas".

Mind you, I agree, there are a lot of Murricans out there who love their trucks nearly as much as their dogs; just please don't paint all truck-owners with the same brush.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

darthbob88 posted:

How do you propose moving a refrigerator in a sedan?

Depends on the fridge and the sedan. But you could definitely do it in a wagon.

Also, when I've moved, I've never had to move a refrigerator. I have driven cross-country in a sedan packed to the gills with crap.

I've also hauled a couple hundred pounds of pavers in one, I've hauled garbage and brush in one. My mom has hauled sand and gravel in minivans and wagons. Basically, if it can fit through one of the doors, you can put it in any vehicle. And if you've got a convertible, you don't even have to worry about that, it just has to fit in the passenger seat.

And that isn't even touching on the things i've seen people do with bicycles in China.

There are things you cannot do without a truck. But far fewer than you seem to think.

quote:

Trucks are not exclusively associated with that cultural fetish; sometimes they're associated with people who do do that work.

This is something I did not know and would never have considered if you had not come along to enlighten me. Thank you.

quote:

just please don't paint all truck-owners with the same brush.

If you'd taken a quarter the time to read what I wrote that you did to write your response you'd see I didn't.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
^^^ What he said ^^^

darthbob88 posted:

Mind you, I agree, there are a lot of Murricans out there who love their trucks nearly as much as their dogs; just please don't paint all truck-owners with the same brush.

This is the quote that got everyone talking about this, below.

Amused to Death posted:

Speaking of lazy fucks, of the people I know, the good deal from probably both left and right could be considered not all that healthy, it's definitely more so on the right, because apparently eating healthy and riding a bike to places once in a while is un American or something(like some to the point of King of The Hill-esque levels of eating steak/ capacious amounts of other red meat daily). These are the people who are going to be such a massive drain on medicare in the future from obesity related problems it's hilarious in its irony. Also why do so many of these people love pick up trucks when they have no need for them.

I have bolded and underlined the important parts. You're defensive about nothing. Trucks have a purpose, and a place, you yourself admit to the fetishistic way they treat trucks. It's a separate thing from actual working people.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Most importantly, you probably know somebody who owns a pickup truck. For the one time every couple of years the average person actually needs one, you could just buy them a case of beer for helping out.

Driving something that is unnecessarily terrible on gas every day of the year on the off chance you might need to move a refrigerator is incredibly dumb.

Also U-haul.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
^^^Yeah, that's exactly what we had been doing when we lived by friends/family.

I guess I'm a little bit defensive about owning a truck. I realize it gets terrible gas mileage compared to a sedan, and probably 90% of the time, a car would suit my needs better, so I feel guilty/dumb. But my wife and I live about 6 hours from any of our friends or family, and so when we moved, we sold our car and got a truck, because we knew we'd need one every once in a while. And it's been indispensable a number of times.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Tomahawk posted:

Most importantly, you probably know somebody who owns a pickup truck. For the one time every couple of years the average person actually needs one, you could just buy them a case of beer for helping out.

Driving something that is unnecessarily terrible on gas every day of the year on the off chance you might need to move a refrigerator is incredibly dumb.

Also U-haul.

Yeah this is exactly what I came to post. Obviously there are people who have actual constant use of a pick up, but as someone said I'm talking about the culture around them, people in white collar jobs and such you think worked major construction with the amount of bed and horsepower they're dragging around. I mean even Xylo's reason is actually pragmatic, I'm talking the people who just need a pick up regardless, like even in high school, you had 18-19 year olds in the suburbs who the first auto they'd buy with their own cash was a pick up, and it'd be this important thing, not in terms of their furst auto they bought with their own money, but the sheer fact of owning a pick up, like they were going to use that pick up to start some sort of side business, when in reality they work at Target and the most laborious thing they do is drinking.

There's just a weird culture around them, and granted this is true for a lot of things, most are not as wasteful as pick-ups though.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

If you make use of it, that's great. But I think he's talking more about people like the ones that live around me in Middle-of-Nowhere, SC. Families where the Dad drives a pickup truck, the 16-year old son also drives a pickup truck, and an SUV for the whole family. When it's an "I'm a hard working macho-man" thing rather than a "I need one" thing, it's just stupid.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

VideoTapir posted:

This is something I did not know and would never have considered if you had not come along to enlighten me. Thank you.
Always happy to help. If you require further insights, such as the blueness of the sky, or the wetness of water, please, you have but to ask.

quote:

If you'd taken a quarter the time to read what I wrote that you did to write your response you'd see I didn't.
From your post:

quote:

Trucks are a fetish associated with a cultural identity originally based upon doing the kind of work that required a truck. But many of the fetishists no longer do that kind of work.
I read this as "ALL truck owners are red-state Murricans who fetishize being working manly men, even if they aren't", and got defensive, as I believed was appropriate; my family are liberals who do work and put our truck to regular and appropriate use. Not all truck owners are Murricans who love their trucks more than their dogs, and I firmly agree that those that are are not the best sort of people.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
He's obviously talking about people who treat truck owning as a sort of culture, not everyone who owns a truck. There are legit reasons to own trucks, just like there are legit reasons to own SUVs. The people who use them for legit reasons tend to form a culture around the reasons though, instead of the type of vehicle. For instance, my dad has an SUV to tow his ATV to races. He doesn't obsess over SUVs though, and if he didn't use it to tow, he wouldn't have one. We're also planning on saving up for a trophy truck for rallying together, but again, rally is the culture that decision is based on, not trucks. That's the difference, at least IMO.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

He's obviously talking about people who treat truck owning as a sort of culture, not everyone who owns a truck. There are legit reasons to own trucks, just like there are legit reasons to own SUVs. The people who use them for legit reasons tend to form a culture around the reasons though, instead of the type of vehicle. For instance, my dad has an SUV to tow his ATV to races. He doesn't obsess over SUVs though, and if he didn't use it to tow, he wouldn't have one. We're also planning on saving up for a trophy truck for rallying together, but again, rally is the culture that decision is based on, not trucks. That's the difference, at least IMO.

I've gathered as much. We here have a truck, so we can carry a ton of firewood back to the house, branches to the burn piles, furniture and trash wherever they're needed, and tow the chicken tractor around. If we did not do this, we would not have the truck. Thus, we are not part of this truck-fetishizing culture.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
According to a guy at work the national EAS test tomorrow is yet another sign of the incomming police state and so I shouldn't be surprised when 'they' show up at my door 'soon'.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Hasn't the EAS been around for a long loving time?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

EAS since 97, but that replaced something which replaced something both of which served the exact same purpose. The shitfit over this will be another great unnecessary shitfit. Facebook will be fun for a few days.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dominator posted:

According to a guy at work the national EAS test tomorrow is yet another sign of the incomming police state and so I shouldn't be surprised when 'they' show up at my door 'soon'.

What so they're going to warn us before coming to line us up against the wall? That seems pretty counter-intuitive, coming police state overlords!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Asnorban posted:

EAS since 97, but that replaced something which replaced something both of which served the exact same purpose. The shitfit over this will be another great unnecessary shitfit. Facebook will be fun for a few days.

Okay, so I'm not crazy for remembering seeing EAS tests years ago, good.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

This is the first national test of the alert system. It's always been done regionally or locally in the past.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Glitterbomber posted:

What so they're going to warn us before coming to line us up against the wall? That seems pretty counter-intuitive, coming police state overlords!

The only thing worse than their desire to control every facet of your life is there total incompetence at everything they do!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Amused to Death posted:

like even in high school, you had 18-19 year olds in the suburbs who the first auto they'd buy with their own cash was a pick up, and it'd be this important thing...

A kid I tutor has a rather large contingent of evangelical Christian/redneck friends at his high school (something I honestly never expected, given that we live in liberal coastal So. Cal.). Four or five of them drive around in huge, lifted pickups that they of course never put to any practical purpose. Pretty much the perfect example of the original complaint.

On a related note: as I said this group is fairly rabidly Christian (and homophobic, etc.). The kid I tutor is a staunch atheist (I think the only reason he hangs out with this group is that the girls are all hot). Just yesterday, they were all standing around near a flight of stairs during lunch when some random student walked by carrying three large boxes. Halfway up the stairs, this student lost hold of her boxes and they and their contents went flying everywhere, sliding down the stairs, etc. everyone just stood there and watched her scramble around while kind of laughing to themselves. Atheist kid is the only one who gets off his rear end and helps her out, but the best part is what one of the Christian girls asked him when he finished and returned to the group:

:confused: Why'd you do that?

And his reply:

:science: Atheist values.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

And then everyone applauded.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

And the boxes turned into a bear and said "welcome to the Democratic Party. :smug:"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Tomahawk posted:

That logic's kinda dumb though because if fewer people had pickups then the odds of you knowing someone with one would be much smaller

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Riptor posted:

That logic's kinda dumb though because if fewer people had pickups then the odds of you knowing someone with one would be much smaller

Even if you can't, renting one is $30-60 for the day. You'll pay at least that much extra in gas every few weeks if you unnecessarily drive a pickup around every day.

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

And the boxes turned into a bear and said "welcome to the Democratic Party progressivism. :smug:"

I refuse to believe the Democratic Party would get off its rear end to help someone out :colbert:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Not an email but we had the following discussion leaving the polls today...

:j: me
:smug: my father

:j: So the only thing on our ballot because we're unincorporated was SPLOST. That sucks.
:smug: Yeah I voted no.
:j: On SPLOST?! It's a one cent sales tax that goes to fund education!
:smug: I always vote no on every tax out of principle.
:j: :psyduck: But...it's for education.
:smug: The government gets enough of my money, they just need to spend it better.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

And THAT'S why your dad shouldn't get a raise.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Even if you can't, renting one is $30-60 for the day. You'll pay at least that much extra in gas every few weeks if you unnecessarily drive a pickup around every day.

Is this the time of the day when we get to go over a poor person's finances with a fine-toothed comb to see if they're spending their meager funds optimally? I get so mixed up with day-light savings!

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

13Pandora13 posted:

Not an email but we had the following discussion leaving the polls today...

:j: me
:smug: my father

:j: So the only thing on our ballot because we're unincorporated was SPLOST. That sucks.
:smug: Yeah I voted no.
:j: On SPLOST?! It's a one cent sales tax that goes to fund education!
:smug: I always vote no on every tax out of principle.
:j: :psyduck: But...it's for education.
:smug: The government gets enough of my money, they just need to spend it better.

He's not entirely wrong. We could fund quite a bit of underfunded poo poo if we just stopped spending hundreds of billions on MOTHERFUCKING FIGHTER JETS AND LASER GUNS.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
sp:lost:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

XyloJW posted:

Is this the time of the day when we get to go over a poor person's finances with a fine-toothed comb to see if they're spending their meager funds optimally? I get so mixed up with day-light savings!

No, it's a good idea for anyone, rich or poor.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

ApathyGifted posted:

He's not entirely wrong. We could fund quite a bit of underfunded poo poo if we just stopped spending hundreds of billions on MOTHERFUCKING FIGHTER JETS AND LASER GUNS.

I don't disagree, though he'd argue defense is the one thing we shouldn't cut.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

ApathyGifted posted:

SPLOST is for Local funding. So while I agree about the wasteful defense spending, it's not really an issue at the local level.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sarion posted:

SPLOST is for Local funding. So while I agree about the wasteful defense spending, it's not really an issue at the local level.

You mean your local municipality doesn't buy fighter jets and laser guns?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Dominion posted:

You mean your local municipality doesn't buy fighter jets and laser guns?

Because of all the goddamn commies.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Posted on Facebook:

Cognitive dissonance? No what is that?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Crackbone posted:

So something like this instead?

Second half of this should feature Charlton Heston and the date 2022

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Crackbone posted:

So something like this instead?

Passenger Pigeon. The meat we'll never eat :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dominion posted:

Posted on Facebook:

Cognitive dissonance? No what is that?

He got a free government job with little to no education required, where all he has to do is not be fat and/or disagreeable. He travels and everything is provided for him.

It's not like he's producing the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on him.