Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

I found myself in a shoujo manga:

Just a minor thing, but I'm quite sure Prunus Girl isn't a shoujo manga.

Pavlov posted:

I feel like kaguya has become less about rear end in a top hat mindgames and more about goofy denial lately. Still pretty funny, but it's like the original premise got lost somewhere.

I've always found the comedy in general funny, even when the joke isn't specifically related to the mindgames, so I still enjoy it. Like the chapters with Fujiwara trying to help Shirogane with Volleyball/singing/fish cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DisDisDis posted:

so it's like, a figure reference book for yaoi?

hell yeah

they make all these pose references and how to draw books for yaoi artists but they really need to put one out that shows them what a taint looks like

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And here I thought hands were the biggest problem....

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

they make all these pose references and how to draw books for yaoi artists but they really need to put one out that shows them what a taint looks like

Japanese censorship laws strike again.

edit: I assume

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

And here I thought hands were the biggest problem....

tip of the iceberg man

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

so it's like, a figure reference book for yaoi?

hell yeah

According to amazon.jp it's just a photobook of male models.

Ytlaya posted:

Just a minor thing, but I'm quite sure Prunus Girl isn't a shoujo manga.

Oh well, it reminded me of other cross-dressing shoujo series but I can see it as shounen too. It's still pretty cute and entertaining though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Alder posted:

According to amazon.jp it's just a photobook of male models.

Oh well, it reminded me of other cross-dressing shoujo series but I can see it as shounen too. It's still pretty cute and entertaining though.

Yeah it was published in shonen mag Gangan Joker.

Are there good cross dressing series not named Kuragehime or Utsosuki Lily?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Yeah it was published in shonen mag Gangan Joker.

Are there good cross dressing series not named Kuragehime or Utsosuki Lily?

There's a few BL/gag one-shots but not sure if I'd call Utsosuki Lily a good gender-bender manga since it drags on forever.

Hanakoi Tsurane: Boy is heir to traditional kabuki family who plays women and his rival always gets in his way.

Shounen Oujo: Boy pretends to be princess to save his country.

J no Subete: Boy suffered tragic past and tries to find his place in society. Psychological manga with dark themes.

Nise x Koi Boyfriend: Shy boy likes accidentally runs into cross-dressing classmate. Hijinks ensue.

Shimanami Tasogare: Side character is a boy who likes cross-dressing but is conflicted about his sexuality.

Mizutama Honey Boy: Boy who likes girly hobbies falls in love with Girl who likes boyish hobbies.

Bokura no Hentai: Secret club where cross-dressers meet from HS. Psychological manga with dark themes. Sad endings.

Parakiss: Side character who likes creating women's clothes and cross-dressing.

Ame Nochi Hare: HS boys who turn into girls during rainy days. Slow story.

Ao no Souyoku - Phantom of Dragon: Girl who wants to be a pilot in place of her brother who wants to be her. One of the FEW scanlated non-BL manga drawn by INARIYA Fusanosuke.

Chevalier d’Éon: Boy cross-dressed as his late sister to save France from demons.

Wandering Son: Serious manga about boy and girl dealing with their individual gender in Japan.

There's a few other manga series but idr their titles but Hachimitsu Scans has scanlated all of them since it's their niche.

Alder fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 1, 2017

coathat
May 21, 2007

This is good http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/renai-anagram-r19986

And big girls are back http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Pochamani

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Alder posted:

Shimanami Tasogare: Side character is a boy who likes cross-dressing but is conflicted about his sexuality.

Wandering Son: Serious manga about boy and girl dealing with their individual sexulities in Japan.

Gender and sexuality aren't the same thing, dog.

Both of those are really good though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

Gender and sexuality aren't the same thing, dog.

Both of those are really good though.

Sorry, my mistake as I wasn't sure how to summarize them properly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wandering Son has an anime adaption too.

Bokura no Hentai is dark and really uncomfortable at points but it's also pretty good and worth reading.

This thread made me read Prunus Girl, and I'm very happy about that. :3:
(It made me think of this old song for some reason, probably not an entirely appropriate match but whatever)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Thanks for this because it's adorable :kimchi:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Awesome! Didn't know there were this many

epic

it's hilarious actually

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Awesome! Didn't know there were this many

It's fairly niche so I'm always glad to see other people who like gender bender series.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Alder posted:

(gender-bending mangos)

This is really great; thank you! :D I'm always on the lookout for manga that deal with gender identity or things that are even tangentially trans-ish.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Alder posted:

Cross dressing/gender bender manga

Cradle of the Sea is also a good one although it's technically seinen and more adventure-based. It takes place during the Age of Exploration where a girl escapes from the slums and serves on a ship while cross dressing as a guy. In the meantime, she also has to look after her former master's son at the same time and not get found out.

The art is really nice in it! One of the neat things included in the series is that in between chapters, there are these short illustrated text interludes (usually about side characters). They're written in a third-person novel style, so it really gives the sense of an adventure book.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nondevor posted:

Cradle of the Sea is also a good one although it's technically seinen and more adventure-based. It takes place during the Age of Exploration where a girl escapes from the slums and serves on a ship while cross dressing as a guy. In the meantime, she also has to look after her former master's son at the same time and not get found out.

The art is really nice in it! One of the neat things included in the series is that in between chapters, there are these short illustrated text interludes (usually about side characters). They're written in a third-person novel style, so it really gives the sense of an adventure book.

Cradle of the Sea is good. The potential romance elements actually fit what I mentioned earlier in this thread pretty well; I was initially not sure if it was shoujo due to the male co-lead having a similar personality to shoujo love interests, plus the navigator guy kinda fitting "second guy competing for protagonist's affections (but you know he doesn't stand a chance)" shoujo tropes.

It seems like "manga written by women but published in seinen magazines" is a good combo when it comes to this sort of thing. I think this is mostly because the female characters are (naturally) written much better and the male characters are written with more of an eye towards what women actually find appealing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Two (2) new chapters of Kimi no Todoke just popped up if anyone aside from me is still reading :v:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 4, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
http://bato.to/reader#6e39954b3419ef86

New Kaguya!

That horoscope app is scarily accurate

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Two (2) new chapters of Kimi no Todoke just popped up if anyone aside from me is still reading :v:

I'm not currently but appreciate update notices since that means it's maybe getting closer to the end :v:
I want to finish reading it once it's done and I can blast through all at once.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't even remember where I left off reading it, somewhere around where it started strongly hinting that one of the girls and that teacher were going to have a thing and it all got too serious.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still "read" KnT but it's really most just sleepwalking through the chapters to see if/when it's ending soon or not.

In other news, that jerk Kuzumi is back. Looks like the group was waiting on tankoban scans, based on the first couple of pages.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nate RFB posted:

I still "read" KnT but it's really most just sleepwalking through the chapters to see if/when it's ending soon or not.

In other news, that jerk Kuzumi is back. Looks like the group was waiting on tankoban scans, based on the first couple of pages.

Haruna is such a great wingman. :allears:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Speaking of back from the dead, I'm glad Real Clothes is updating again. I'd forgotten it was technically a romance, but the last few chapters were a bit of a reminder of that, I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One Korean webtoon I've gotten into recently is Yumi's Cells, which has a pretty strong romantic bent to it so I think it'd fit in well here. Basically an Inside Out-take on an office lady living her social/professional/romantic life viewed primarily through her body's cells, mostly her brain as you'd imagine. It's pretty adorable with a surprisingly diverse cast with tons of funny quirks. It also just looks so much more pleasant than most Korean webcomics I feel like I've seen before.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 4, 2017

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
A pleasant Korean comic? :psyduck: Surely it's only a matter of time before a terminal disease kicks in or someone gets bullied to suicide

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, I meant more in terms of art style. Lots of Korean comics I feel have this sort of cheap look to them, you look at a given panel and you instantly know it's one of those.

The recent chapters of Yumi do have some ominous tidings being hinted at that I desperately hope don't rock the boat too much :ohdear:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tarezax posted:

http://bato.to/reader#6e39954b3419ef86

New Kaguya!

That horoscope app is scarily accurate

I always like the parts of the narration that explain some obvious thing like it's really surprising.

"A birthday! A special day that comes only once a year!"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vesi posted:

A pleasant Korean comic? :psyduck: Surely it's only a matter of time before a terminal disease kicks in or someone gets bullied to suicide

Hey, Love Doctor doesn't really have anything bad in it. :v:

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Unless you consider how crippling ballet can be on the human body as bad.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ytlaya posted:

I always like the parts of the narration that explain some obvious thing like it's really surprising.

"A birthday! A special day that comes only once a year!"

Kaguya is also doing the same gag Jitsuwata does with "*Individual results may vary" and the narration contradicting a character's thoughts

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cephas posted:

This is really great; thank you! :D I'm always on the lookout for manga that deal with gender identity or things that are even tangentially trans-ish.

You're welcome :v:

I feel like gender bender is not the ideal term to describe the genre but there's not a ton of good ideas for it.

Nate RFB posted:

Well, I meant more in terms of art style. Lots of Korean comics I feel have this sort of cheap look to them, you look at a given panel and you instantly know it's one of those.

Although I like reading webtoons but they're scanlated less often compared to manga and regulated behind pay walls so I just give up after awhile. It's always fun to see color panels then it never updates after a cliffhanger.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Well, it does have some kind of heavy personal emotional poo poo going on, mostly with the love doctor herself. I've mentioned before how I find Korean media to often be better at this sort of interpersonal drama.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Same.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Lemon-Lime posted:

How about Suji being so deep in the closet it is destroying her friendship?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I have never so identified with an anime before in my life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

How about Suji being so deep in the closet it is destroying her friendship?

I feel bad for her, since there's basically no good ending for her unless she ends up with the famous ballet dancer or something (but it seems like the famous ballet dancer might end up with the girl she hired to replace the love doctor lady). Since there are 5 main characters, it seems like one is doomed to not being hooked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I feel bad for her, since there's basically no good ending for her unless she ends up with the famous ballet dancer or something (but it seems like the famous ballet dancer might end up with the girl she hired to replace the love doctor lady). Since there are 5 main characters, it seems like one is doomed to not being hooked up.

I think it's more likely the doc will move on and the two friends end up together.