Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of them, were Nice Guy and Tough Guy weak to Fire and Ice in the original? It's been so long since I played the ps2 version but that definitely made that fight a breeze for me in the Vita remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess it depends on how horrified you feel wasting S. Link days on dungeon crawling. I know I went way out of my way to finish the castle in 2 days, which mean fighting the boss with barely any SP items.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Technique posted:

So apparently the DS2 anime site updated at some point and the protagonist is gonna be named Hibiki Kuze. I guess that's neat.

But have they updated with any information regarding Jungo (human) or Jungo (cat)?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Nate RFB posted:

I guess it depends on how horrified you feel wasting S. Link days on dungeon crawling. I know I went way out of my way to finish the castle in 2 days, which mean fighting the boss with barely any SP items.

Well then P3 is pretty hard, too, if you go through it with paying attention to the Tired/Sick conditions...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, let's set the time management part aside for now. If you spread it out enough and fight the boss with full SP, it's a little easier. Chie sure does like to get burned alive in that fight though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I finally beat Devil Survivor Overclocked. The boss fights at the ends of day 7 and 8 are sort of ridiculous. Is there anything I should know going into Devil Survivor 2? It looks like it will get here tomorrow :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Moon Monster posted:

I finally beat Devil Survivor Overclocked. The boss fights at the ends of day 7 and 8 are sort of ridiculous. Is there anything I should know going into Devil Survivor 2? It looks like it will get here tomorrow :v:

As with before, moderation's for suckers. However, agility is useful now! There are a few skills that hit a shitload of times with physical attacks, and these are incredible on a Phys/Agi build. Magic is still great. The protagonist can be a massive rear end in a top hat if you choose to be, and it's great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also Evil/Chaos wave is even more broken than it was in DS1 since it will make the person you attack get pushed further back in turn order. It's pretty silly/stupid.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

King of Solomon posted:

As with before, moderation's for suckers. However, agility is useful now! There are a few skills that hit a shitload of times with physical attacks, and these are incredible on a Phys/Agi build. Magic is still great. The protagonist can be a massive rear end in a top hat if you choose to be, and it's great.

You can also be a massive goofball.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

fount of knowledge posted:

You should ABSOLUTELY be doing these things, with the caveat to the second one that if you KEEP running away from a shadow's view, he'll lose interest and turn around. There's your chance to nail him for the player advantage.

This is a little ambiguous. To be more precise, shadow's will chase you to the thend of their defined area, where they'll hit an invisible wall. If you try to attack a shadow at this point it will NOT count as a pre-emptive strike. However, if you run up a staircase, you become invisible to shadows and reset to their standard roaming pattern.

What I liked to do in P3 was to climb up as fast as I could, just running past enemies and looking for the stairs up. Then, when I'd hit a boss floor, I'd save and try to fight the boss. If I couldn't beat them with what I had, I'd spend some time farming the previous floors, otherwise I'd head on up. The higher you can get before having to grind, the less time you have to spend grinding.

Oh, and don't forget, fuse, fuse, fuse. A strong stable of personae is worth more than anything else in that game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Does the dungeon design in DDS get any better? I'm not a huge fan of turning a corner, running into a statue, then having to climb my way back from the basement floor.

At least the battle theme is pretty awesome.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
That's pretty much the whole game. At least the music is fantastic.

American Folk Hero
Oct 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Does the dungeon design in DDS get any better? I'm not a huge fan of turning a corner, running into a statue, then having to climb my way back from the basement floor.

At least the battle theme is pretty awesome.

Just wait until the final dungeon.

Pray for death :unsmigghh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man the more I hear about earlier SMT games the less I want to play them. Which is weird, because Persona 2 is not exactly super punishing but DDS and SMT1-2 seem like they were made by an rear end in a top hat from what I hear.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most of the earlier MT games wear their Wizardry lineage like a badge of honor and those games were pretty much a case study in player hating gygaxian bullshit but got a pass for being pretty much the first of their kind in the early 80s.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man the more I hear about earlier SMT games the less I want to play them. Which is weird, because Persona 2 is not exactly super punishing but DDS and SMT1-2 seem like they were made by an rear end in a top hat from what I hear.

The first SMT game on the SNES is honestly a fantastic game--in fact, I'd maintain that it may very well always be the "best" SMT game. It basically summarizes the whole series in one tight package. The music is great, the writing is eerie and darkly comic, the battles are fast and furious, and there's tons of sweet demons to pick up. Plus, unlike pretty much every other old-school SMT game, it doesn't throw a lot of bullshit dungeons at you.

You WILL get lost a poo poo ton, and you'll end up having situations where you've explored a winding maze for two hours and you're desperately low on everything and it's all you can do to drag yourself along to hopefully by the divine grace of God find a save point, but if you are going to play any old-school SMT game, play this one. I know there's a pretty good fan translation of it out there somewhere.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RentCavalier posted:

The first SMT game on the SNES is honestly a fantastic game--in fact, I'd maintain that it may very well always be the "best" SMT game.

The MCD/PSX/GBA versions are better because you can actually tell walls apart. The SNES and TCD versions are kind of just weird voids.

quote:

I know there's a pretty good fan translation of it out there somewhere.

http://agtp.romhack.net/

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
Man, I just cannot get into Nocturne despite the dozens of times I've tried. I want to love it so badly. I like the Persona games a lot, but I've always found them a bit too easy. I've heard Nocturne is a more difficult game, and I like the press turn system more than All Out Attacks. The fact that your entire party is composed of fused monsters is also a plus, seems like it lends itself to more customization.

But something just keeps me from starting the game in earnest. I always make it to the subway station a little south from the medical building and then just kinda sputter out. Maybe the game is just too, I don't know, daunting? The lack of a compendium always makes me second guess whether I should fuse a creature or level them up. I'm always wondering if I'm spending my attributes points in the right place. I can appreciate the more difficult combat in Nocturne, but I'm always wondering if I'm loving something up while I'm playing it, whereas in Persona I have a good handle on what I'm doing and can always farm up and fuse some poo poo to get me back on track. Everybody just raves about Nocturne, though, so hopefully someday I can just man up and get it done. I feel silly for wanting a game more challenging and with more depth than Persona, but at the same time not playing for those very same reasons. Maybe I need a good noob starting guide or something.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sorry, more DDS questions. The before I play entry says to have Focus, War Cry, and Fog Breath, yet none of these seem to actually be skills in the game. Did the entry just get jumbled with Nocturne's?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I thought Nocturne did have a compendium..

Cake Attack posted:

Sorry, more DDS questions. The before I play entry says to have Focus, War Cry, and Fog Breath, yet none of these seem to actually be skills in the game. Did the entry just get jumbled with Nocturne's?

They might be Combo Skills.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

I thought Nocturne did have a compendium..

They might be Combo Skills.

It does, but you don't get for quite a while. Maybe 15-20 hours in iirc.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Try Power Charge for Focus and Taunt for War Cry. I don't think Fog Breath exists, but you can pull off Debilitate as a combo by combining three -nda skills.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

The Moon Monster posted:

When the game tells you to save someone, you need to save them. It doesn't gently caress around with that concept nearly as much as the first game, so if you want to keep people alive, you can't just blow them off.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Momomo posted:

When the game tells you to save someone, you need to save them. It doesn't gently caress around with that concept nearly as much as the first game, so if you want to keep people alive, you can't just blow them off.

In fact, if it looks like the plot is going to require you to do something, do it ASAP. You can't end a day early by doing plot, and most days end later than DS1 did.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Cake Attack posted:

That info is definitely jumbled from Nocturne. It's especially pointless because it mentions how once you forget a skill you can never learn it again, but in DDS you can customize your skill list at any time.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

As long as you have the latest update patch for the SMT 1 translation and the automap patch, SMT 1 isn't that hard.
The items are explained in the manual and if you understand the fusion concepts later in the series, the only real difficulty is dealing with horrible status effects.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just started playing Nocturne, and I have a question regarding Magatamas; after I've mastered a given Magatama, is there any way for me to relearn the skills it teaches if I end up forgetting them to make space for other stuff?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I just started playing Nocturne, and I have a question regarding Magatamas; after I've mastered a given Magatama, is there any way for me to relearn the skills it teaches if I end up forgetting them to make space for other stuff?

Nope! Choose wisely.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I checked back in the thread, and it appears while everyone got the news of the preview for the Devil Survivor 2 anime, we missed a tweet saying roughly "Happy New Year and stay tuned for more on the future development of the Game" posted on the Devil Survivor twitter. Did we ever confirm a new game was coming out?

https://twitter.com/dsexp_atlus/status/284966935173677056

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Dehry posted:

I checked back in the thread, and it appears while everyone got the news of the preview for the Devil Survivor 2 anime, we missed a tweet saying roughly "Happy New Year and stay tuned for more on the future development of the Game" posted on the Devil Survivor twitter. Did we ever confirm a new game was coming out?

https://twitter.com/dsexp_atlus/status/284966935173677056

I'm pretty sure they confirmed they're making a new version of DS2, yeah? At least i think so.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Speaking of DS2, my copy arrived in the mail today, except the package was already opened and there was nothing it it but a receipt. Game is trolling me before I even play it :argh:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

They've said they're working on a new Devil Survivor 2 project, but they haven't dropped any specifics. Based on the terminology they've been using, as well as how casually they've been talking about it, I'm worried that it'll be something significantly less interesting than Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked (which, that's already not especially interesting by itself).

e: VV No, they've confirmed that they're working on a DS2 game in addition to the cartoon.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 10, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm pretty sure I've read they're making a DS2 anime, could be that.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So for those who have played both versions, how are the added songs in the Devil Survivor Overclocked soundtrack compared to the original? I've recently acquired a copy of the P1P OST, so Devil Survivor is next up on the list of soundtracks i need to buy, and IDK which version to get. Does it actually have any good music that wasn't in the original version?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dorroile posted:

So for those who have played both versions, how are the added songs in the Devil Survivor Overclocked soundtrack compared to the original? I've recently acquired a copy of the P1P OST, so Devil Survivor is next up on the list of soundtracks i need to buy, and IDK which version to get. Does it actually have any good music that wasn't in the original version?

There's like a grand total of 2 new songs (not including the new OP which doesn't even have a full version so whatever) The rest is just the normal OST with no changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLqkMov6GSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPfYK01j0Y

I think Confusion is pretty good, probably one of my favorite songs on the OST as a whole but High Touch is kinda meh.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 13, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

dis astranagant posted:

It does, but you don't get for quite a while. Maybe 15-20 hours in iirc.

Nah, more like seven or so hours in, less if you know what you're doing or can pick up on how the battle system works early on. You get access after you reach Ikebukuro (right after Matador).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's like a grand total of 2 new songs (not including the new OP which doesn't even have a full version so whatever) The rest is just the normal OST with no changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLqkMov6GSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPfYK01j0Y

I think Confusion is pretty good, probably one of my favorite songs on the OST as a whole but High Touch is kinda meh.

It's actually not quite the normal OST; the songs on the Overclocked OST are the in-game versions while the original OST actually has slightly altered versions of the songs; for example, Action has a bluesy guitar riff in the background on the original OST while the Overclocked OST does not, and Demon of Darkness has an extended intro in the original OST.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Wow, guess I'll just be going for the original version then, since Reset is better than the other OP anyway, and neither of those tracks are very great. Thanks for the heads-up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

There's really nothing punishing about DDS1. There's a small gently caress you moment in party construction but it's nothing too daunting. DDS1 is probably the closest SMT ever got to a classic JRPG formula until Persona 3 came around. The final dungeon is pretty lovely though, and the game's bonus bosses can be pretty lovely too but the core game is pretty vanilla.

DDS2 on the other hand definitely does screw you in the party construction though. Just spoil yourself and ask the thread which characters you should focus on to save yourself some grinding.

Speaking more abstractly, it's really just the dungeon design that gets hard knocks in every single SMT game out there and it's not exactly something they ever improved on (I thought Tartarus in P3 was supposed to be some parody, but nope they were serious about that being the game's dungeon!) Nocturne has some interesting dungeons but there's still lots of poo poo to wade through on that front too. I really hated the Amala network a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rascyc posted:

There's really nothing punishing about DDS1. There's a small gently caress you moment in party construction but it's nothing too daunting. DDS1 is probably the closest SMT ever got to a classic JRPG formula until Persona 3 came around. The final dungeon is pretty lovely though, and the game's bonus bosses can be pretty lovely too but the core game is pretty vanilla.

DDS2 on the other hand definitely does screw you in the party construction though. Just spoil yourself and ask the thread which characters you should focus on to save yourself some grinding.

Speaking more abstractly, it's really just the dungeon design that gets hard knocks in every single SMT game out there and it's not exactly something they ever improved on (I thought Tartarus in P3 was supposed to be some parody, but nope they were serious about that being the game's dungeon!) Nocturne has some interesting dungeons but there's still lots of poo poo to wade through on that front too. I really hated the Amala network a lot.

Yeah I think it's just reading the DDS dungeon impressions that gave me that idea. Strange Journey dungeon mechanics get worse and worse. By the last dungeon I just sat in front of my computer with a guide open because I could mop the floor with enemies but I just kept getting lost and it was getting really frustrating. Still looking forward to SMT4 though.

And I totally forgot that I forced all my friends to play Persona 3 and told them how good it was then forgot the dungeon was a thousand randomly generated, interchangeable corridors and there is basically no real story for like 10 hours. That game has such a strong ending you forget how weak parts of it can be.