Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They probably love American stuff, so it's like "Wow, this is exactly like ours but with cool Americans!"

*New Zealanders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

deadly_pudding posted:

*New Zealanders

Hey Danny is American!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

GuyUpNorth posted:

Some Power Rangers are easily more popular than corresponding Sentai over there. I know at least Lost Galaxy/Gingaman is massively skewed in favour of the latter, and SPD is regarded as equally good minimum.

The whole Lost Galaxy is more popular thing is a myth, Super Sentai is aired on a network almost everyone in Japan gets(and still has ratings issues because the morons running it place the Superhero Time block up against another network's Pokemon block), Power Rangers usually gets aired on satellite channels that only a couple thousand people watch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it's generally assumed when someone is talking about "super popular" they mean among the hardcore otaku who consume all of this stuff.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
Someone mentioned the Justice League/Power Rangers crossover getting delayed, I think it was just an art thing for April because issue 4 just came out today. The first issue opens pretty lame, but the dial-back on it is fine and it just gets more fun and upbeat as it goes along. Wouldn't say it's amazing, but it's shockingly less grim than you'd expect out of DC. If you wanna see the pterodactylzord kidnap batman, Zed and Braniac plot poo poo or Billy and Cyborg science it up together, then this is a nice comic.
Although it's still not without its questionable moments :stare:

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 17, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Japanese MMPR VHS covers are great because they have that same "collage of lots of figures" that sentai VHS covers did, except it's a collage of so many different shows and concepts.

They're also certainly better than the "animorphs" VHS covers we got.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is loving bizarre

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts/phoenix-comicon-gunman-matthew-sterling-punisher-jason-david-frank-9363877

A fat 31 year old went to Phoenix with one mission: kill Jason David Frank

That fat guys identity: The Punisher

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
loving yikes

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
This is legitimately hosed up and I hope the dude gets help, but his arrest also means we've missed the opportunity to see a morbidly obese dude get SIG-AYA'd in the face.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite detail is he put "Kill JDF" on his calendar in case he forgot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Lord Zedd has fallen on hard times.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"...claimed to have stabbed the performer 15 years earlier and went 'to Comicon to finish the job...'"

More information on a 16-year-old supposedly stabbing JDF please. Like, all the information.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Coq au Nandos posted:

This is legitimately hosed up and I hope the dude gets help, but his arrest also means we've missed the opportunity to see a morbidly obese dude get SIG-AYA'd in the face.

Agreed

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The worrying thing to me is that this guy was apparently able to sneak past all the security while armed and dressed like an FPS character. Don't they make people peace bond the weapons for exactly that reason?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PMush Perfect posted:

The worrying thing to me is that this guy was apparently able to sneak past all the security while armed and dressed like an FPS character. Don't they make people peace bond the weapons for exactly that reason?

Comic and anime convention security really isn't all that stringent. If this guy didn't go into the registration area, it's likely he didn't pass by any permanently stationed security people.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
If cuck became a politically charged word, I don't see why we can't adopt the usage of aphrodite officer

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This fandom is far from the most pedanticly childish I've ever seen. When your cast and aesthetic changes every season there's a lot less screaming of the destroying of childhoods, and disgust comes across more with apathy than actual rage among most of the people.

But somehow this still manages to be the most humiliating fandom for some reason. How many Trekkies have tried to kill Shatner?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know but I'm pretty sure both Marina Sirtis and Gates McFadden have been stalked by fans.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Look we might have the murdering weirdos

But at least we don't have the pedophiles like Star Trek.

I hope

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

PMush Perfect posted:

Apparently he donned blackface and avoided peace bond. Thankfully he made his intentions very clear to someone who called the cops, so he was easy to find when he took a brake after the stairs to read the con's programming. But jeez.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Burkion posted:

Look we might have the murdering weirdos

But at least we don't have the pedophiles like Star Trek.

I hope

Zordon knew

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Enjoy all the gaffes in this report of the thing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

When that dude gets out of prison, I hope to God he smiles and screams AHHH!! AFTER TEN YEARS, I'M FREE!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Inspired by this block of Turbo bloopers I've never seen before, I realized how awwkard it must've been on the set for the actors, specifically the dynamic of having a 12(ish?) year old on the set. I totally understand professionalism, but either you're a 12 year old kid whose body is just beginning to realize that girls are fun to look at (and you're around some really good-looking women as your job), or you're an older person realizing that one of your co-workers is likely this kid's Crush Of The Moment.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's a lot of Bulk & Skull in that reel, which is surprising since they were voice actors without physical presence for so much of that season. I wonder if it includes bits of their spinoff that never happened or if it never got that far.

The shot of Tommy stepping on the tiny Blue Centurion was in the credits reel and was the last thing everybody saw before the show went on hiatus for six months to film the second half that had fewer detonator plots and more sillyness.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Apparently he donned blackface and avoided peace bond. Thankfully he made his intentions very clear to someone who called the cops, so he was easy to find when he took a brake after the stairs to read the con's programming. But jeez.

That last part is kinda amazing. Like... what, was he going to kill Frank and then hit up the Attack On Titan panel to ask Matt Mercer what Levi's favourite colour is?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What did I say. Toys may save Power Rangers 2.

"Screenrant posted:

A Power Rangers sequel could still happen, despite the first movie’s box office under-performance. The big screen reboot of Saban’s Power Rangers didn’t exactly go as planned; the movie received mixed reviews, grossing a meager $85 million domestically. Though it enjoyed a healthy opening weekend, ticket sales quickly slumped. In China, where expectations were high, Power Rangers didn’t fare well at all, taking just $1.2 million on its opening day, and a total of $4.2 million thus far. Altogether, that puts Power Rangers with a global figure of around $140 million.

Figures like that sadly mean any subsequent Power Rangers movie sequels are unlikely – something director Dean Israelite couldn’t have been expecting, when he added a mid-credits scene that hinted at the arrival of the Green Ranger in future movies in Power Rangers. In fact, it wasn’t just one Power Rangers sequel planned; multiple movies were rumored. Hope is not lost, though, because ultimately, Power Rangers’ toy sales could be its saving grace.

A report by Toy News states that NPD data has Power Rangers listed as the number one action figures brand, with a massive increase in sales this past year. In the last year to date, figures are up 122.8%, with April 2017 listed as an increase of 185.9% on the same month in 2016. That puts Power Rangers as the 11th best seller across all toy properties. In fairness, those figures cannot all be attributable to the Power Rangers movie; Power Rangers: Ninja Steel has enjoyed huge popularity on Nickelodeon this year, with a second season, Power Rangers: Super Ninja Steel, confirmed for 2018.

Given that kids are reliant on adults taking them to the movies, and Power Rangers was rated PG-13, it seems likely that Power Rangers: Ninja Steel is why the toy sales have lifted so massively; kids can enjoy free access to the show whenever they like. However, such an increase can only be looked upon favorably by Hollywood execs, who might just think a second movie in the franchise will be viable, especially if they can tie its release to the back of a Ninja Steel season.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have an assumption I make about CG-heavy and especially entirely-CG films that I wonder if it is true. I figure that a lot of the time and money of making a first movie is making all the CG character models and stuff, right? I'm sure it's not like, even half? of the budget but it's got to be a decent chunk. This makes me wonder if making a second one is always going to be a little easier/cheaper, since you've already laid the groundwork. Like if you had a movie with lots of expensive sets and props, but could continue using those same ones for sequels. Is that a true thing at all?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's not how CG works. It's not like like video games where making the engine is most of the cost, you barely have any retaining assets you can pass on to the next project.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

That's not how CG works. It's not like like video games where making the engine is most of the cost, you barely have any retaining assets you can pass on to the next project.

Obviously a lot of stuff won't be helpful but like in this case the ranger suits and the zords and stuff presumably could still be used? Unless of course they change those up for the sequel. Like yeah you still need to animate everything but at least the robot's already been built? Admittedly I don't know and am asking! So if I'm wrong as hell I'd be glad to know.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Light Gun Man posted:

Obviously a lot of stuff won't be helpful but like in this case the ranger suits and the zords and stuff presumably could still be used? Unless of course they change those up for the sequel. Like yeah you still need to animate everything but at least the robot's already been built? Admittedly I don't know and am asking! So if I'm wrong as hell I'd be glad to know.

That stuff would save them maybe 10 million if you severely overestimate stuff. Most of the money in a movie is booking actors, the set, the staff, and making new CG.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
And the thing about special effects -- well, the short answer anyway -- is that making those existing CG models look good and feel realistic and move believably onscreen, in an actual environment surrounded by real people, is way harder and more intensive than just modeling those things in the first place.

I'd be really bummed if this didn't get a sequel, but even now I'm keeping expectations low.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah, you could probably reuse some assets but you're still looking at doing all the rigging, lighting and compositing over again. It's not going to be enough of a factor to save the franchise and to be honest, even those toy numbers aren't that nutty. A 180% increase when comparing a year with a show spinning down (Dino Charge) to an all new show with Ninja Steel and a movie is nice but it isn't going to make those box office numbers look any better. It's a bummer but I think the dream is looking pretty dead short of some sort of insane home video business getting done and home video is not what it once was at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

J33uk posted:

Yeah, you could probably reuse some assets but you're still looking at doing all the rigging, lighting and compositing over again. It's not going to be enough of a factor to save the franchise and to be honest, even those toy numbers aren't that nutty. A 180% increase when comparing a year with a show spinning down (Dino Charge) to an all new show with Ninja Steel and a movie is nice but it isn't going to make those box office numbers look any better. It's a bummer but I think the dream is looking pretty dead short of some sort of insane home video business getting done and home video is not what it once was at all.

If not for the fact that part of the marketing was still targeting the same audience that normal PR was aiming for, I'd say the money might've been better spent on a limited mini-series on Netflix or HBO or something. Maybe 7 episodes or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

If not for the fact that part of the marketing was still targeting the same audience that normal PR was aiming for, I'd say the money might've been better spent on a limited mini-series on Netflix or HBO or something. Maybe 7 episodes or something.

This. They should have just committed completely to the bit and done like a Power Rangers version of Kamen Rider Amazons, the dark and gritty Kamen Rider Amazon re-imagining that airs on Amazon Prime Video in Japan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
This is the path that leads to people saying they should adapt Akibaranger.

I am that people. They should do it, Netflix exclusive.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I don't even know what the American version of that looks like. I'm assuming it has JDF as himself, and an actor portraying the guy who wanted to murder JDF at that con as the Red Ranger Fan?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

As much as I love that show I'm not really sure how an adaption that wasn't just a straight dub would even work. Not to mention the fact that there isn't a lot of usable footage that doesn't eventually contain an unmasked Japanese actor.

There's also not that much of it in general seeing as if you count both seasons as one the show is only 26 (well, 24 considering the last episodes of both seasons are just clip shows) episodes long. I suppose it could be possible to pull it off but it would probably take RPM levels of effort to make it work.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 1, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The Powerful Rangers are replaced by the "Super Scouts" and are Akaranger and Big One that speak completely in Japanese and the subtitles have every fansub sin included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Have they worked in the hip youngster slang "squad up" into Power Rangers yet

edit: That reminds me, I'd probably watch Hip Hop Voltron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnX-GA9omNg