Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Nuns with Guns posted:

Invisible Sun is that caring and supportive father figure you never had

Monte Cook is ready to be your daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, I have now divined that the game takes place in a modern occult setting. I base this supposition solely on the fact that a character has a gun.

That's all I got.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The sun is invisible because nobody can see it, due to distance based penalties to Spot checks.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zurui posted:

Monte Cook is ready to be your daddy.

Monte Cook is gonna make you his John Romero

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Monte Cook is gonna make you his John Romero

No no no, you're thinking of Wick.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scyther posted:

The sun is invisible because nobody can see it, due to distance based penalties to Spot checks.

Now that I can believe.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Invisible Sun is that caring and supportive father figure you never had

It makes sense that the father figure I never had would have had an invisible son.

Also, Invisible Sun is shorter and blacker than I imagined my father figure.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
Whelp, that funded. But wait; it's time for stretch goals!

quote:

The first is what we are calling a Rules Primer. This will go to ALL BACKERS, and will be delivered in electronic form next year, before the release of the game. It’s a taste of how the game will work—just the basics so you get all the concepts down—so that when the Black Cube heeds your call and appears in the conjuration room of your house, you’ll already know the basics of the game and you’ll be able to hit the ground running. To be really clear, the Primer isn’t the game, nor will it resemble the early access/playtest version of the game. It’s a handy learning resource. A… primer. We’ll send this out to all backers if we reach $230,912.
Send more money and you'll get to see how to play the game. Nice (not really).

quote:

As with all products of Invisible Sun, Book M is filled with clues, mysteries, and hidden truths requiring a careful reading. What’s more, Book M has a special mystery woven through its pages that hides an entire secret section of the tome. Impossible? You’ll have to help us get the book and see for yourself.

Will Book M ever be found? Only with your help. Tell your friends and your enemies to cast the spell to Call—or even Control, Master, or Merge with—the Black Cube.

Book M is a hardcover magic sourcebook with new spells, ephemera, artifacts, and much more. We will unlock Book M, making it available as an Add-On, as well as including it with the rewards of every caster of Control the Black Cube and higher levels, if we reach $276,101.

If funded, Book M material will feature in the Directed Campaign, incorporating the quest for the book and its discovery as part of the story ideas and source material.

A quick start guide and the first expansion seem like a bit of a letdown for the RPG that's "breaking all the rules".

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

homullus posted:

I wish I had the patience for podcasts. It takes less than a minute of one for me to wonder how much further I'd be if I were reading it. :(

Well look at this guy who doesn't take public transit!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, that's what a game with 500 spells needs. A book with more magic.

Also you have to wait a year to actually see the rules? Is this a loving joke?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

Okay, I have now divined that the game takes place in a modern occult setting. I base this supposition solely on the fact that a character has a gun.

That's all I got.

You'd think so but Monte Cook wrote at least two fantasy RPG supplements dealing with guns of some sort, including weird demon guns, so it's still up in the air.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

If this was by the CAH people I would totally believe that the box just has poop inside.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, that's what a game with 500 spells needs. A book with more magic.

Well, first you have to give Monte more money and then wait a year. Seems reasonable.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, this whole Invisible Sun thing is a joke, right? It has to be. Y'all had me going for a while, I don't know how you managed to get Monte to set up a fake KS page, but yeah, you got me. It's just a joke.

Right?

:ohdear:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, this whole Invisible Sun thing is a joke, right? It has to be. Y'all had me going for a while, I don't know how you managed to get Monte to set up a fake KS page, but yeah, you got me. It's just a joke.

Right?

:ohdear:

Even better
You're supposed to use the Invisible Sun Facebook page to find strangers in your area who want to pool their money so that in a years time you can group up to play this game.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I dunno, I kind of figure we could reverse engineer the rules just with what we already know, given that Monte Cook came up with it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Christ, we could probably reverse-engineer the "setting" in our individual systems of choice without any real hassle in less than six months.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Evil Mastermind posted:

Christ, we could probably reverse-engineer the "setting" in our individual systems of choice without any real hassle in less than six months.

I did it in six hours.
my version uses Apocalypse World

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I dunno, I kind of figure we could reverse engineer the rules just with what we already know, given that Monte Cook came up with it.

Based on the two minutes of gameplay that's come out it looks like a pretty bog standard "roll a d10, try to hit a target number" system, where you can get boosts from magic/other players to add more dice to your pool for better chances at hitting a success. And the little snippet of the campaign seemed like a pretty normal "disparate weirdos team up to uncover dark magick mysteries". I was being flippant about it coming off like a planescape/unknown armies mash-up, but everything so far seems to point in that direction too.

like woaaah dude, a plane where it RAINS KEYS

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

ravenkult posted:

HEY I ALSO EXIST

potatocubed posted:

ME TOO although I only wrote that one thing for them one time, so.

Whooaaa, so many Hatters are goons too! Even with my magical powers, I can only identify who potatocubed is, though. Also you should totally write another thing. Your first thing was most excellent.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Honestly all that I get from the kickstarter is "I could have a good time welding Kult's setting onto Don't Rest Your Head".

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Based on the two minutes of gameplay that's come out it looks like a pretty bog standard "roll a d10, try to hit a target number" system, where you can get boosts from magic/other players to add more dice to your pool for better chances at hitting a success. And the little snippet of the campaign seemed like a pretty normal "disparate weirdos team up to uncover dark magick mysteries". I was being flippant about it coming off like a planescape/unknown armies mash-up, but everything so far seems to point in that direction too.

like woaaah dude, a plane where it RAINS KEYS

The key rain is what you call out rather than the -giant vandal snail?-

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Hey, let a snail go for a walk during a keystorm; it's the only time during the day he has to be alone with his thoughts

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The snail is doing nothing wrong and has every right to be there

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I want to know what the deal is with the giraffe/mantis thing further in the background.

Not $200 worth of want to know, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He's even looking both ways before crossing the street.

It's the giraffe-thing off in the background that's loving around smashing poo poo.

e: f;b.

...with the not paying to find out thing, too.

e. gorbash we doing tg fantasy football again this year or are you tired of me always winning

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
at all the people who think that this game actually costs hundreds of dollars.

As an occult master, Monte Cook knows you can turn lead into gold. So really the highest tier pledges only really cost like, a couple bucks. At least, if you're a smart, creative person.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't doubt he will take a bath in shipping, maybe on printing, but not that big a bath, no.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Let's be honest - Monte Cook isn't selling a game. He's selling you proof that you're a True Fan.

It's not surprising in the least this made it's goal.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Leperflesh posted:

He's even looking both ways before crossing the street.

It's the giraffe-thing off in the background that's loving around smashing poo poo.

e: f;b.

...with the not paying to find out thing, too.

e. gorbash we doing tg fantasy football again this year or are you tired of me always winning

I thought the giraffe thing was a giant arm making a shadow puppet dog.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Let's be honest - Monte Cook isn't selling a game. He's selling you proof that you're a True Fan.
You know, I'm a "True Fan" of Greg Stolze and Evil Hat, to the point where I'd back pretty much anything they put out sight unseen. They're people who I know will deliver something I'm more than likely going to really like.

But even so, I'd still be wary if one of them said "hey, here's my new RPG, it's a $200 big-rear end black box with a bunch of props, we're not saying what the game's really about or how it works, you won't find any of that out for a year or possible ever, are you a bad enough dude to save the presidentback this project?" I'd be backing up and asking them what the hell is going on here that all this is necessary.

And that's for people whose work I love. As far as I'm concerned, Monte is in the running for the mediocre-iest big name game designer out there.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not a store.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, I'm a "True Fan" of Greg Stolze and Evil Hat, to the point where I'd back pretty much anything they put out sight unseen. They're people who I know will deliver something I'm more than likely going to really like.

But even so, I'd still be wary if one of them said "hey, here's my new RPG, it's a $200 big-rear end black box with a bunch of props, we're not saying what the game's really about or how it works, you won't find any of that out for a year or possible ever, are you a bad enough dude to save the presidentback this project?" I'd be backing up and asking them what the hell is going on here that all this is necessary.

And that's for people whose work I love. As far as I'm concerned, Monte is in the running for the mediocre-iest big name game designer out there.

I went in on Delta Green for $300, on the other hand while I knew it would take a couple of years to all come out, I also knew it'd be some of the best written and illustrated rpg supplements around, and i'd be getting well over 2k pages of stuff. In comparison to Monte reads Gaiman+playtest it's feels like a whole other scale of 'how much do you get for your money'.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PST posted:

I went in on Delta Green for $300, on the other hand while I knew it would take a couple of years to all come out, I also knew it'd be some of the best written and illustrated rpg supplements around, and i'd be getting well over 2k pages of stuff. In comparison to Monte reads Gaiman+playtest it's feels like a whole other scale of 'how much do you get for your money'.

Shoot, I went in for 80 dollars, and that's all just PDFs, but the Arc Dream folks had a full ruleset ready to rock from the get-go.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Caedar posted:

Whooaaa, so many Hatters are goons too! Even with my magical powers, I can only identify who potatocubed is, though. Also you should totally write another thing. Your first thing was most excellent.

Nah I just did the art for DLYM, the Don't Rest Your Head supplement.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

PST posted:

Not really an accurate comparison, given that some version of Delta Green already existed as a reference point of what the new DG will be like.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Here's my drive-by on this: I'm reading the comparisons to Kult, Unknown Armies, and Don't Rest Your Head (and you could probably throw in Over the Edge and a few other games for good measure). But if I had to bet money on it, I'd bet that most of the mechanical stuff relevant to those character concepts is as small a part of this game as the narrative character traits were in Numenara.

Rather than those games, this strikes me as being much more like one of the 90s games that rode White Wolf's coattails--specifically, a subset of those games that also had to include elves, dwarves, and wizards in their dark modern urban fantasy game with some pretense toward being like a Neil Gaiman comic. The fact that the marketing for this game seems inspired by Imagine and Everlasting just strengthens that impression.

Edit: and the Blankety Blank of the Blank who Blanks stuff just seems made for D&D 3rd edition era naming conventions rather than anything else. I predict more "Soulreave Darkblade of the Blackfire Clan who shits souls" rather than some Everway-ish stuff about crafting dreams or whatever.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

I predict more "Soulreave Darkblade of the Blackfire Clan who shits souls" rather than some Everway-ish stuff about crafting dreams or whatever.

how did you find out about my character

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like its going to be Bad Gaiman the RPG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cK-8jnub5Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Laphroaig posted:

I feel like its going to be Bad Gaiman the RPG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cK-8jnub5Q

I mean it's by Monte Cook, so it being bad is a given.

• Locked thread