Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

I'm like 75% sure that guy was a plant because Darren thought a Twitter own would help his brand.

this is a very solid theory, to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He literally prewrites hundreds of tweets before the super bowl

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
"what would you know about Gatorade" IS a very suspicious insult to lob at a lame-o like Darren. Like, of course he knows everything about brand history. Just call him a nerd loser or something

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/988884031604486144

lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm completely baffled why a ponderous know-it-all dumbass has such a large fanbase

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm completely baffled why a ponderous know-it-all dumbass has such a large fanbase
"Ponderous man. Ponderous... loving ponderous!"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I remain confused why anyone outside New York would ever give a single poo poo about him

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I stopped listening to sports radio with any regularity years ago so I couldn't care less about Francesa but I randomly had the Michael Kay Show on this afternoon in the background in the office and I was amused that they spent like 45 minutes talking about how not scared they were of him coming back and how much they didn't care but that he was such a piece of poo poo. It was just very absurd.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the only sports radio that has ever been good was the old, drunk bears guys after they got humiliated on a national telecast

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

It's prolly the uncool thing to say but I still do enjoy Jim Rome's yearly Smackoff. It's literally the only Jim Rome show I'll listen to anymore.

There was a time when it was an event... now it's a bunch of try hards with a script trying to not make it sound off as one.

Once the likes of Terrance from Sierra Madre or Trapper from HB quit making appearances was when the magic was lost and I bounced out.

And this is coming from one that remembers his overnighter shifts on XTRA Sports 690 WAY before the syndication bucks dump-trucked in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Because we grew up listening to him and Dog and then just him alone. His show has been flat up bad for YEARS but him as a personality is endlessly compelling.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

the only sports radio that has ever been good was the old, drunk bears guys after they got humiliated on a national telecast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM7CDqxsvvo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Someone sent pictures of an inside look at ESPN's NFL draft coverage notes and such to deadspin. Nothing too shocking but it's always neat to get a look at things like this.

And apparently Adam Schefter doesn't tip.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

why do people like Hawk Harrelson

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

Someone sent pictures of an inside look at ESPN's NFL draft coverage notes and such to deadspin. Nothing too shocking but it's always neat to get a look at things like this.

And apparently Adam Schefter doesn't tip.

Doesn't a guy like Schefter make 6 figures? What the gently caress?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doesn't a guy like Schefter make 6 figures? What the gently caress?

Schef likely does well there, yeah. I give him a little leeway because hotels have a hundred different service charges and it's easy to assume the gratuity is included, especially when you have a line of "Gratuity tax" on there.

Entirely possible as well he gave the wait staff cash.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I wouldn’t tip either if there was already a 23% service charge on top of a delivery tax for dropping off my room service.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I could understand the "delivery charge $2.50" not being a tip but if the wait staff isn't seeing any of that 23% it's on management, not Schefter

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I could understand the "delivery charge $2.50" not being a tip but if the wait staff isn't seeing any of that 23% it's on management, not Schefter

yeah that's fair

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

If that 23% were going straight to management, we would know, because Darren Rovell would be sending out many laudatory tweets about it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Kristine Leahy is getting a spinoff on FS1.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think we all saw this coming when the USMNT poo poo their pants in qualifying, but Fox Sports is going full :effort: with the World Cup http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/04/25/fox-broadcast-world-cup-mostly-american-commentators-la-studio/

quote:

As a result of the US Men’s National Team crashing out of World Cup qualifying, FOX Sports has made the decision to take drastic cuts with their World Cup commentary team. Instead of hiring the best in the business, FOX Sports will feature an almost all-American crew. And instead of having the commentators calling the vast majority of the games from the stadiums, like Telemundo is doing, FOX has decided to only send the teams of John Strong-Stu Holden and JP Dellcamera-Tony Meola to Russia. The remainder of the games will be called off monitors from the FOX Sports studios in Los Angeles.

quote:

Compared to the last rights-holder, ESPN had four crews in South Africa in 2010 and called seven matches from the International Broadcast Center in Johannesburg, then used five pairings four years ago in Brazil and had 13 games broadcast from the IBC in Rio de Janeiro.

I'm probably just going to watch it on Telemundo this year

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
When I saw the "embrace your roots" commercial I knew that it was hosed.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Edward Mass posted:

Kristine Leahy is getting a spinoff on FS1.

Colin Cowherd always looks like a leering pervert

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

why do people like Hawk Harrelson

no one likes hawk harrelson

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

I think we all saw this coming when the USMNT poo poo their pants in qualifying, but Fox Sports is going full :effort: with the World Cup http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/04/25/fox-broadcast-world-cup-mostly-american-commentators-la-studio/

I'm probably just going to watch it on Telemundo this year

America's (and Mexico too) path to qualification should be so easy so I love it when they poo poo the bed so hard and then completely give up pretending to be into football.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NY radio chucklefucks keep calling each other out

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

They're going at it as hard as they can

They're Mike and the Mad Dog on the Fan

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You know those baseball games exclusively on Facebook? Nobody’s watching them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

You know those baseball games exclusively on Facebook? Nobody’s watching them.

quote:

Facebook broadcasts have averaged between 65,000 and 85,000 concurrent viewers over the league’s first three games, according to data obtained by the Inquirer and Daily News. The league’s Facebook experiment is in its infancy, but those numbers are far lower than even the lowest-rated baseball game aired on television.

holy poo poo :laffo:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

You don't say. Who the hell is watching them besides people whose offices don't block Facebook

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the thing about the Cord-cutting phenomenon is really about consumers wanting options. Putting a game exclusively on Facebook isn’t giving consumers options, it’s just shifting where they have to get their content.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The bigger problem is that companies think young people are still into Facebook, when in fact young people loving hate Facebook and have for years.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

The broadcasts are super annoying. They will sway between baseball talk and ask for comments on dumb questions.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Maybe Kids These Days don’t care about sports not available in GIF form? :shrug:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Benne posted:

The bigger problem is that companies think young people are still into Facebook, when in fact young people loving hate Facebook and have for years.

A friend of mine just deleted hers. If I didn't need it for work, I'd delete mine.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

A friend of mine just deleted hers. If I didn't need it for work, I'd delete mine.

Yeah this. Unfortunately I’m the social media manager for my company, half my day is spent on Facebook anyways.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Benne posted:

they only care about when athletes are PETTY 😭😭😭😭😈😈💩👻👻🙌🙌✊

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Baba Oh Really posted:

The broadcasts are super annoying. They will sway between baseball talk and ask for comments on dumb questions.

Holy poo poo it's not just a normal broadcast and they're pandering for comments and interaction? No wonder they're struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Holy poo poo it's not just a normal broadcast and they're pandering for comments and interaction? No wonder they're struggling.

I've only seen the one for a Mets game and it was staggeringly bad; luckily I was able to sync the radio guys to the video from FB