Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

EdsTeioh posted:

Alright, we got housed by Ultron twice in a row. First game I think we played Iron Man, Capt. Marvel, and Spider-Man; this week we did Capt. America, Dr. Strange, and Iron Man. What's the trick to managing all of the drones?

It really just comes down to keeping the board clear as efficiently as possible. That second team shouldn't have been too terrible at it, but Strange, while easily S-tier, has one weakness, which is minion swarming.

Most heroes can do okay, but here are some heroes that excel vs Ultron:

Thor - Guaranteed extra card draw and big AoE means he has a lot of fun. This is probably his best villain to fight (2nd/3rd best being Mutagen Formula and Expert Drang).
Black Panther - Energy daggers is an easy board clear almost every turn.
Rocket Raccoon - Rocket launcher's very good, and he'll be triggering overkill constantly.
Gamora - If you build her with some extra thwart events, you'll get a free ping every turn and kill her drone. She's just generally great.
Venom - Multi-Gun clears minions real quick.

If you have a leadership hero, you should always run Squirrel Girl and Hawkeye (Clint) against him. And if you can recur Squirrel Girl with Make the Call or Rapid Response, even better.

For aggression, Tigra's great because she can kill drones forever without dropping.

I'm sure there are more options, but those are off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

EdsTeioh posted:

Alright, we got housed by Ultron twice in a row. First game I think we played Iron Man, Capt. Marvel, and Spider-Man; this week we did Capt. America, Dr. Strange, and Iron Man. What's the trick to managing all of the drones?

You need to make your own decks if you haven't already. The prebuilt ones are intentionally bad to encourage you to make changes to improve them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Hall of Heroes has full spoilers for the new box.

Both heroes look great and there’s some incredibly interesting cards in the mix (leadership resource where you get resources based on how many allies you have in play!)

Great news is that from a glance, surge spam is done. One of the scenarios has some cards that use it, but otherwise the rest seem to use it sparingly. Overall I’m really excited for this set.

That Mass Attack card seems insane for Leadership decks that can quickly build up a full ally board.

Adam Warlock getting his Cape and Mystic Senses seems like the perfect setup to guarantee success right off the bat if you get them early, really fantastic stuff.

Noticed some fairly new (iirc) things for the game in the In-Betweener character card that you shuffle into the villain deck, and that Audacity card which does stuff when you spend it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

KPC_Mammon posted:

You need to make your own decks if you haven't already. The prebuilt ones are intentionally bad to encourage you to make changes to improve them.

I haven’t. The big thing with this game to me so far is that despite the fact that I’ve bought the core, Red Skull, and 2 hero packs, I don’t feel like I have that much of a pool of cards to build from. Also I’m v bad at deck building in general.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

EdsTeioh posted:

First thing is if you’re playing with someone with Justice is to make sure you have the Justice card that makes the main scheme need +4 in order to pop. That way you generally have a pretty good buffer. It’s not necessary but it’s super helpful.

The biggest thing is know when to take drones, know when not to. For example. Cap America with his shield is okay to take a drone because his shield with retaliate instantly kills them when he’s attacked. Ditto for Black Panther.

For some heroes, it’s better to just add a threat on the main scheme because someone should be mainly focusing on that.

Make sure you have heroes that can do multi-hits. If you have a hero that generally only ever hits one at a time, you’re going to be in for a rough ride. Not everyone needs this but enough that if someone is getting overwhelmed they can step in. Venom with the multi-gun is definitely someone you’d want to put against him.

My biggest suggestion is to fight like hell to make sure the main scheme doesn’t go to its second form. It’s not impossible it’s just a lot more hassle if it happens.

EdsTeioh posted:

I haven’t. The big thing with this game to me so far is that despite the fact that I’ve bought the core, Red Skull, and 2 hero packs, I don’t feel like I have that much of a pool of cards to build from. Also I’m v bad at deck building in general.

If you’re not great at deck building. There’s sites out there that have people build decks. You can see what people have built and then pick something you like. After enough time you should have a good enough feel for the game and how you play that you can build decks that suit your play style.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 16, 2021

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

That's why the starting decks are trash, so that all skill levels can make improvements.

Even doing something as simple as removing cards you find yourself not playing and replacing them with a third copy of events you find useful can improve deck consistency.

Also keep in mind that Ultron is supposed to be hard. Try subbing in an easier modular encounter set if you want a little more leeway and are getting frustrated.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The Black Stones posted:

First thing is if you’re playing with someone with Justice is to make sure you have the Justice card that makes the main scheme need +4 in order to pop. That way you generally have a pretty good buffer. It’s not necessary but it’s super helpful.

The biggest thing is know when to take drones, know when not to. For example. Cap America with his shield is okay to take a drone because his shield with retaliate instantly kills them when he’s attacked. Ditto for Black Panther.

For some heroes, it’s better to just add a threat on the main scheme because someone should be mainly focusing on that.

Make sure you have heroes that can do multi-hits. If you have a hero that generally only ever hits one at a time, you’re going to be in for a rough ride. Not everyone needs this but enough that if someone is getting overwhelmed they can step in. Venom with the multi-gun is definitely someone you’d want to put against him.

My biggest suggestion is to fight like hell to make sure the main scheme doesn’t go to its second form. It’s not impossible it’s just a lot more hassle if it happens.

If you’re not great at deck building. There’s sites out there that have people build decks. You can see what people have built and then pick something you like. After enough time you should have a good enough feel for the game and how you play that you can build decks that suit your play style.

Is what I have enough cards to really do any good customization though?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

You can make better decks with just the core box, so yes.

The bigger your pool of cards the bigger difference it can make but fewer cards should make deciding easier because there is less of an overload from too many options.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

ALSO I just realized after watching a deck building demo/playthrough that the ENTIRE time we've been playing this (like 6 months) that we've been dealing boost cards to minions as well as the villain. No friggin wonder this was so hard. FAIL.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

That’s one thing I always have to remind myself of when switching between LotR and Marvel.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

EdsTeioh posted:

ALSO I just realized after watching a deck building demo/playthrough that the ENTIRE time we've been playing this (like 6 months) that we've been dealing boost cards to minions as well as the villain. No friggin wonder this was so hard. FAIL.

Ouch. Yeah there's (at least) one specific minion who does get boost cards, that would make it harder.

Question - one of the Kang versions (Immortus) won't take damage if there are any minions in play. If you do damage to everything with one card on your turn can you stack it up so the minion dies first then the Kang will take the damage? Or is it instantaneous and he shrugs it off then becomes vulnerable to the next attack? It was Captain America's shield where x targets take 4 damage and there was one low hp minion out plus Immortus.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

McGurk posted:

That’s one thing I always have to remind myself of when switching between LotR and Marvel.

Yeah, I came to both Arkham and Marvel from playing a lot of LotR. I should probably get rid of one of these since they're all so similar, honestly.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

They should've made Shocker a 0/1 Villainous minion as a reminder / teaching aid during rhino's introductory scenario.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

EdsTeioh posted:

To get a general idea of how to use a character, I hit up marvel champions db and search by the hero then choose the aspect I want based on the popularity. Hasn't steered me wrong yet and gives me a good idea of how the hero plays at their best. Then I can tune from there based on my preferences.

Though if you only have 2 hero packs that probably will limit you quite a bit but you can still look at what people are adding into the decks for a idea of what people want to do with them.

bagrada posted:

Ouch. Yeah there's (at least) one specific minion who does get boost cards, that would make it harder.

Question - one of the Kang versions (Immortus) won't take damage if there are any minions in play. If you do damage to everything with one card on your turn can you stack it up so the minion dies first then the Kang will take the damage? Or is it instantaneous and he shrugs it off then becomes vulnerable to the next attack? It was Captain America's shield where x targets take 4 damage and there was one low hp minion out plus Immortus.

No. Same with Guard unfortunately. Shield Toss targets/damages simultaneously so everything would take the damage at the same time. Compare to Melee which does get around Guard/Immortus because the effect of the damage is split happened sequentially.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 16, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Absolutely! Check out the Marvel CDB site, they have hundreds of great deck ideas and list exactly which cards/sets you need for each deck. You can pick out themed decks for specialized villains and situations as well.

Try out these more popular deck ideas to get you started: https://marvelcdb.com/decklists/halloffame

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

DLC Inc posted:

Absolutely! Check out the Marvel CDB site, they have hundreds of great deck ideas and list exactly which cards/sets you need for each deck. You can pick out themed decks for specialized villains and situations as well.

Try out these more popular deck ideas to get you started: https://marvelcdb.com/decklists/halloffame

Thanks for this, and all the links everyone posted. I forgot to mention I have Thor as well.

I think a lot of the problem here is that I've been trying to keep as many decks built as I can (so currently 9 of the 10 heroes I have) as opposed to keeping 3-4 good decks built at any one time. I think after my tkd class tonight, I'm going to just tear everything apart and see if I can't build up a good Spidey or Cap deck and see how they come out.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

EdsTeioh posted:

I think a lot of the problem here is that I've been trying to keep as many decks built as I can (so currently 9 of the 10 heroes I have)

Yeah, don’t do this. Shave the number by half. If you want to build new hero decks, Look at who you don’t play much and then take that deck apart.

I have a lot of hero decks built (around 11 I think now) but I’m also crazy and have bought multiple of the same hero for deck building (I don’t like to proxy).

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, don’t do this. Shave the number by half. If you want to build new hero decks, Look at who you don’t play much and then take that deck apart.

I have a lot of hero decks built (around 11 I think now) but I’m also crazy and have bought multiple of the same hero for deck building (I don’t like to proxy).

Yeah, I think this is the thing that I just realized reading this thread and sort of clicked. I'll probably focus on Cap, Strange, Spidey, and maybe one more for now; maybe Capt. Marvel? Thor?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I bought the Marvel core yesterday and am already obsessed with it. I kept losing and figured I was doing something wrong. I was activating every ability, side scheme, and minion on the boost phase AND encounter phase.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

decided to just pick 2 decks at random to do Risky Business with since I thought "what could possibly go wrong" and picked Dr. Strange Leadership and.....Drax Protection, possibly the worst loving hero/aspect choice of all time for Risky Business LOL. Waiting to do protection with a small hand, barely getting attacked, just doing gently caress-all so far lol.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Risky business is worse than wrecking crew, I think it’s the worst scenario they’ve released. Absorbing man may be boring but at least it has the gimmick “get through this as fast as possible“.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

DLC Inc posted:

decided to just pick 2 decks at random to do Risky Business with since I thought "what could possibly go wrong" and picked Dr. Strange Leadership and.....Drax Protection, possibly the worst loving hero/aspect choice of all time for Risky Business LOL. Waiting to do protection with a small hand, barely getting attacked, just doing gently caress-all so far lol.

I did the same with Protection Drax and Justice Iron Man, and it was just the worst time.

Thankfully he was much more fun against Kang, paired with Justice Venom. I still don't think I like him (it took way too long to get his 'draw on attack' upgrade out, and keep 3 vengeance counters on him to counteract the 4-card hand size), BUT it wasn't an awful time. He got the Knife Leap -> Fight Me, Coward! -> Knife Leap combo against Kang phase 2, which was pretty hilarious.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I've been doing a campaign style progression through the villains I have so far. I beat Expert Rhino with Cap/Leadership and Iron Man/Aggression, but Iron Man died. I replaced Iron Man with She-Hulk/Justice and she died but we beat Expert Klaw. For Ultron I'm thinking of doing a Spider-Man/Protection just to keep the rotation going. Cap doesn't hit too hard though so we'll see how it goes if Spidey is more about defense.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tested out a new Aggro Spidey / Justice Hawkeye deck duo on Rhino and he drew Horn, two Charges, and the enhanced suit all in one go lol. Forgot how swingy he can get sometimes, didn't matter since he lost anyway. Webbed Up is such a loving good card, Spider-Man can legit shift the game in your favor in a single move.

Testing out some newer cards like Making An Entrance for earlygame mitigation of threats while healing from attacks from the villain / using Lie In Wait for security versus any enemies that come out or to make sure they have Toughness autocancelled.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Mad Titan Shadow got delayed for US/Canada but is out already in the UK.

I really, really want some new villains to play with and the heroes look awesome. I bit the bullet and ordered from a UK website. I’ll give my impressions when it comes in. They’re estimating shipping between the 2nd-10th of Sept. That will almost be a month early, so the small extra cost is worth it to me.

——

Edit: should also mention Valkyrie was revealed yesterday. Cards are up on hall of heroes. Thor gets even more Asgard allies you can funnel to him if you want.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 28, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Hall of heroes is great, too bad their server is a hamster on a wheel

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ve never had issues with the site. It can take a bit to load a huge load of cards (like when you want to check out the big box expansions) but I chalk that up to the images being usually high quality.

Otherwise everything loads quick and fast for me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not too interested in Valkyrie but those Aggression cards in her pack are loving awesome. Will definitely buy it just for those cards. Best Defense/Smash The Problem are dream cards for guys like Thor, Drax and even Hulk. Using that with cards like like Quick Strike with those guys will just pump out 6 to 8 damage consistently for cheap.

The Black Stones posted:

Mad Titan Shadow got delayed for US/Canada but is out already in the UK.

For some reason this has been happening to the Marvel miniatures too---some sets of an expansion came on time, the other half was delayed by a month or so---but were available in the UK.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DLC Inc posted:

For some reason this has been happening to the Marvel miniatures too---some sets of an expansion came on time, the other half was delayed by a month or so---but were available in the UK.

I imagine it has to do with shipping method where it takes one way to UK, and other for North America. I know they all rely on boat shipping and I know the Kickstarter for the new Sentinels of the Multiverse game had the company saying they paid to be bumped up to as fast as possible shipping but they would still possible be a month or two late.

Shipping is all sorts of messed up right now and I guess it’s just affecting certain product runs. I backed a Batman board game that finally has finished production and they’re just now going to start shipping. They had said they were going to get the game out end of Summer. Yeah, good luck (I’m expecting December).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Thankfully shipping prices to Taiwan here are awful from pretty much everywhere except Hong Kong so ordering Mad Titan's Shadow from the UK was not a big deal. I tossed Nebula in on the order and hopefully she comes in this week or the next and that can get out the door.

I just received Venom and he's a lot better than I thought actually and I'm kind of excited to try him out. I hope they come up with a Hero that has a nemesis that they can summon "on demand" via their hero card for some kind of benefit. Having minions out is really fun.

Got in a game over the weekend, Hulk and Captain America vs Standard Zola. Hulk had plenty to punch and it was great.He played fine with Captain America and being able to take the hits from a low ATK power enemy like Zola but he needed more ways to heal and shrug off damage/status before I want to take him into other matchups.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I have Mad Titan on the way. Shipping was a bit but not super crazy. I’m just at the mercy of the parcel company. It took 3 days for the package to move at all from being picked up and when questioned the answer was “We don’t take any questions about shipping times because of COVID”

It’s been exported on the 2nd so I’m hoping I get it in this week.

From the one or two comments I’ve seen from people who got it, it’s better than GMW so I’m really excited now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Heads up. The Nebula pack is confirmed being shipped from Asmodee so that looks like it will be out this month still.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So I'm sure this will be answered in a new rules reference, but whats the move if you are playing Nebula Hero and Gamora Hero, and a Minion version comes out, is it the "endgame situation" or are they just not put into play since a unique card is already in play?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Not put into play. So if you draw Shadows and you are playing Gamora and Nebula hero. You put out the side scheme and shuffle the other cards into the deck and then surge because the nemesis never entered play.

Technically you also can’t play Nebula against Nebula but FFG’s stance is “well, while it’s the rules it’s also your game” so how much of a stickler for the rules is up to you.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

cool, thats what I thought would happen. And yeah, I read the "just don't play Nebula ya goober" note before lol

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Obviously the campaign villain nebula is a phony. Extremely nebulous

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I must be cursed to not play Mad Titan. My delivery estimate when I ordered should have had it here today but the shipping company still has it listed as just “exported” and it hasn’t even come into the country. Ive asked the company what the issue is and I just get “Covid slows things down” and I’m struggling to think how it slows down a package already in export to a country. My best guess is for the price I paid they should have thrown it on a plane but chucked it into a boat because “lol”

I should have looked at the reviews on parcelforce before I used them as my option. I stupidly thought “oh, slightly more money and faster shipping means should be good” but when the company is filled with liars it’s easy to claim shipping times when you won’t hold up to it.

Close to 30,000 reviews on trustpilot and 50% of them “bad” Awesome that I flushed money down the drain to get the expansion probably when everyone else will.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Tim Whatley posted:

I bought the Marvel core yesterday and am already obsessed with it. I kept losing and figured I was doing something wrong. I was activating every ability, side scheme, and minion on the boost phase AND encounter phase.

Oh, dude I was giving boost cards to MINIONS for the longest time. 2 straight BAD losses to Ultron and we were like "wtf is going on here?"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The infinity gauntlet set is: you reveal a card, then activate it on the next activation. Not one infinity stone per activation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

I must be cursed to not play Mad Titan. My delivery estimate when I ordered should have had it here today but the shipping company still has it listed as just “exported” and it hasn’t even come into the country. Ive asked the company what the issue is and I just get “Covid slows things down” and I’m struggling to think how it slows down a package already in export to a country. My best guess is for the price I paid they should have thrown it on a plane but chucked it into a boat because “lol”

I should have looked at the reviews on parcelforce before I used them as my option. I stupidly thought “oh, slightly more money and faster shipping means should be good” but when the company is filled with liars it’s easy to claim shipping times when you won’t hold up to it.

Close to 30,000 reviews on trustpilot and 50% of them “bad” Awesome that I flushed money down the drain to get the expansion probably when everyone else will.

I hear you. I ordered the last L5R deluxe and the Venom pack in the middle of July and just got them on Monday. It was listed as shipped on July 23rd and I had a tracking number by then too but they literally sent it on the slow boat to China(Taiwan isn't China but you know).

When COVID first hit I got a set of metal rings for L5R off a guy in the UK and it took them almost 4 months to arrive. I felt really bad because the guy got them out the weekend before lockdown in the UK but god knows how long they sat in the queue waiting to be shipping. The thing was that when they arrived I had less than 30 days left to file for a refund on Paypal, which thank god that was an option because I'd paid for the service.

Unfortunately, shipping via Amazon is just extremely fast(usually in 10 days exactly), free shipping on orders over $75(which going to Taiwan typically means that I'm paying 1/2 the price of the goods in shipping fees) and my stuff never gets held up at customs. I just wish that FFG had their shipping issues sorted so they could get stuff on Amazon with better frequency so I could order it from them.