Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

OptimusShr posted:

The Assassins killed him. Hitler was a Templar and the Templar's had him kill his body double to fake his death,

JUST KILL HIM IN THE BUNKER

FauxGateau posted:

most likely poetic irony.

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

codenameFANGIO posted:

JUST KILL HIM IN THE BUNKER

The Assassins didn't have access to the bunker. That's why they were waiting outside the bunker.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Inco posted:

The Assassins didn't have access to the bunker. That's why they were waiting outside the bunker.

They mean the writers should've just had him killed in the bunker.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Vanguard Warden posted:

They mean the writers should've just had him killed in the bunker.

But then what's the point of sending assassins if you're just going to have writers kill Hitler?

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Dec 5, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

flatluigi posted:

For all the faults that series has had over the years, the interesting NPCs are definitely not one of them.

lmao if you didn't hug davinci

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arstan posted:

I just started Xenoblade Chronicles X. Your character is mostly silent, but you get to choose a voice for their combat barks.

The neat thing is, they list the voice actor next to each voice option. It's a really forward facing way to credit the actors. Plus, for anime/JRPG dorks, it's a handy shorthand for choosing your character's voice.

So is it one of those games where your other party members do all the talking for you? Or does it have non-voiced dialogue? I haven't picked it up yet.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Aphrodite posted:

So is it one of those games where your other party members do all the talking for you? Or does it have non-voiced dialogue? I haven't picked it up yet.

The do all the talking but you have options you can choose that affect the conversation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Aphrodite posted:

As far as I can tell (am in Chapter 5), Elma is the main character and your dude/dudette is just there and they do have "dialogue" (answer prompts) but they're not voiced and don't actually have any effect on the game other than some funny reactions.
They sure are chatty cathies when in battle, though, but they're all pretty generic gung-ho phrases.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I've been playing the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky games, 1 and 2. It's all in the same world, and some some of the story-telling takes place over both games.

In the first game, you're introduced to one of your party members coming the opposite way while you're heading towards a small town you've been to a few times. You've learned that this town got the brunt of a bloody battle about 10 years ago, and lot of people died there.

In the 2nd game, you learn that this character that I mentioned grew up in that village, and was there during the attack. His little sister died during it. He wasn't there to save her, and has a complex over it.

So, I'm replaying the first game. I passed him, and met him, on the way back to that village, and I saw in the cemetery, there's a bouquet of flowers on what you learn in game 2 is his sister's grave.

There's no explanation or nod to it in the first game. I just love the long-term vision of that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Both super mario sunshine and galaxy are fabulous but in different ways. The controls are incredibly slick in both games and the stage structure plays to their strengths well, with the water gun's 3 different kinds of mobility making it better suited to open levels and galaxy's gravity mechanics better working with linear levels as you jump to different planetoids one by one.

Galaxy also had some very good traditional levels without much gravity fuckery though. I guess those levels made people wish the whole game was like that which is why so many people complain that the levels weren't as open as in 64 and sunshine.

Sunshine feels incredibly unfocused to the point where it doesn't seem to really please anyone entirely. Beyond the camps that love FLUDD/hate the challenge levels and hate FLUDD/love the challenge levels, you have the oddness brought on by a Mario game constrained by "realistic" level concepts, the water mechanics not being as fleshed out as they maybe could've been, and maybe you're a weirdo like me that was more into cleaning up all the neat gloopy paint as a kid, which is largely forgotten as the game goes on. And of course the surprisingly lovely objective design. I can't see anyone defending stuff like the watermelon contest. Blue coins weren't particularly great either...

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

liquidypoo posted:

Just Cause 3 - I really appreciate the game tracking stupid little achievements, and then letting me challenge people to beat my scores. I'm not at home, so I can't check the exact number, but I've ragdolled a distance of ~320m. The old record was like 80 :haw:

Unfortunately, all that leader-board poo poo is slowing the gently caress out of the game.

Games forum god Gibbed found you can a)Skip the intro movie:

In steam add
--vfs-fs dropzone --vfs-archive patch_win64 --vfs-archive archives_win64 --vfs-fs .
to launch options then create an empty corona_video.bikc in \just cause 3\dropzone\videos\ (<- you will have to create both of these directories too) and you skip the opening intro

and that running steam in offline and firewall blocking JC3 leads to about a 10 fps increase for a lot of people.

http://justcause3mods.com/uploader/gibbed/ :allears:

Gibbed is my fave thing in games

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Why even have him execute the body double if they are going to kill him moments later anyway

I wasn't really paying attention when this happened, and was convinced that Hitlers body double killed him and then ran away to start a new life in South America.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I wasn't really paying attention when this happened, and was convinced that Hitlers body double killed him and then ran away to start a new life in South America.

Till he tragically died of kidney failure three days after arrival.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I realize I'm way late to Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system party, but I've been having a lot of fun with it. There's this one Uruk who started out as a complete nobody who just happened to kill me and became captain, lucked into a combination of traits that make him really hard to take down, and after meeting and failing to crack him a few more times, I finally realized the easiest way to deal with him would just be making him warchief. Best part is that he's a big fat idiot. We're sleeper agent buds now but I feel like I'll end up having to tell him about the rabbits.

Another one in the first half of the game was a complete pain-in-the-rear end wiry runt who started out as Ushbaka the One-Eyed and who I killed so many times that he started showing up with big stapled gashes in his face, and then eventually just wore a bag over his head, because apparently not even the Uruk could stand looking at him anymore. Anyone know where the Shadow of Mordor stories start in this thread? I'm sure there are a ton.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

My Lovely Horse posted:

I realize I'm way late to Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system party, but I've been having a lot of fun with it. There's this one Uruk who started out as a complete nobody who just happened to kill me and became captain, lucked into a combination of traits that make him really hard to take down, and after meeting and failing to crack him a few more times, I finally realized the easiest way to deal with him would just be making him warchief. Best part is that he's a big fat idiot. We're sleeper agent buds now but I feel like I'll end up having to tell him about the rabbits.

Another one in the first half of the game was a complete pain-in-the-rear end wiry runt who started out as Ushbaka the One-Eyed and who I killed so many times that he started showing up with big stapled gashes in his face, and then eventually just wore a bag over his head, because apparently not even the Uruk could stand looking at him anymore. Anyone know where the Shadow of Mordor stories start in this thread? I'm sure there are a ton.

First I saw was page 31, checking against release date.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's such shame that the nemesis system doesn't really seem to have caught on.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xoidanor posted:

It's such shame that the nemesis system doesn't really seem to have caught on.

Game development takes a while, you know.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Well it's not something that you can easily throw in during the development and SoM came just a year ago.

I'd like to see something like that on racing games. Surely there must be some already?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Mierenneuker posted:

Game development takes a while, you know.

No you just make your game and drop the nemesissystem.exe into the folder.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aw man, I read some old posts and now I'm sad I never got a "the Friendly" captain. Maybe I'll do some timeskips and see if one pops up that I can support.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Aw man, I read some old posts and now I'm sad I never got a "the Friendly" captain. Maybe I'll do some timeskips and see if one pops up that I can support.

Oh, I love those guys! "I've got nothing but love for you in my heart! Come, let us lay down these weapons!"
*proceeds to try to gut you

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Maybe it's because I got all the DLC when I bought the $15 bundle from Indiegala but I thought that Shadow of Mordor actually did a good job with DLC, where each one is a self-contained campaign that is shorter than the main campaign but builds on it interesting ways; one emphasizes and expands on the ability to control the fauna of middle earth, the other focusing on the ability to convert enemy Uruks and shaking up the combat abilities so that you're no longer the overpowered monster you were at the end of the game playing as Talion. Plus the latter is a prequel so you can actually use the One Ring to turn invincible and has Sauron as a final boss which was rad af even as someone who doesn't really care for the LotR movies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My favorite was (Something) the Literate.
Dressed well and spoke like a studious human.

One of my mind-controlled dudes killed him and never showed up again :(

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

flatluigi posted:

For all the faults that series has had over the years, the interesting NPCs are definitely not one of them. There's a random line you get in AC2 when you're parkouring around the rooftops where a guy remarks "He must be late - and she must be beautiful" and it's probably my favorite piece of random chatter ever

The best "NPC watching you parkour" was from "That man is going to hurt himself, and when he does, I'm NOT going to help him." from 1. My roommate and I didn't like the game all that much but we used that line on each other plenty. The plain text doesn't really sell it...

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

1 also had "no, you don't understand, I have nothing" from those beggar ladies who would get in your face as soon as you got near them. I think everybody who played that game killed some of them with the assassin's blade at a certain point, because holy poo poo did that get annoying.

On a whole that game suffered a lot from repetition. It really felt like a proof of concept where they spent so much time on the core mechanics that they had to rush the content. It worked out for the games afterwards though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My favorite little thing in Transformers Devastation is Bumblebee. I don't know why they chose to make him god-king of the transformers but just flying accross stages punching dudes in the face is amazing. I just beat Devastator by punching him in his giant robot balls until he gave the gently caress up.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

My favorite was (Something) the Literate.
Dressed well and spoke like a studious human.

One of my mind-controlled dudes killed him and never showed up again :(

My favorite was a guy named So and So the Utterly Fearless. He was afraid of fire, bloat flies, the dogs the giant monsters and fire.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

My Lovely Horse posted:

My favorite 'little' thing about Shadow of Mordor was setting my own goals in the game. For example managing to mind-control the whole orc hierarchy tree:

Then killing all of them:

Fun times that game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

1 also had "no, you don't understand, I have nothing" from those beggar ladies who would get in your face as soon as you got near them. I think everybody who played that game killed some of them with the assassin's blade at a certain point, because holy poo poo did that get annoying.

On a whole that game suffered a lot from repetition. It really felt like a proof of concept where they spent so much time on the core mechanics that they had to rush the content. It worked out for the games afterwards though.

I think everyone killed one at some point because the finicky context sensitive controls made it hard to not randomly knife people.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Mierenneuker posted:

The same voice did one of background NPC voices in Unity, I think the lady who gets robbed in the random crowd events, and it practically gave me hives even years later. gently caress off, lady, there is no money system in AC1, I don't have anything to give you!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mierenneuker posted:

Pleeeeease I'm poor and sick and hungry

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Pound_Coin posted:

Unfortunately, all that leader-board poo poo is slowing the gently caress out of the game.

Games forum god Gibbed found you can a)Skip the intro movie:

In steam add
--vfs-fs dropzone --vfs-archive patch_win64 --vfs-archive archives_win64 --vfs-fs .
to launch options then create an empty corona_video.bikc in \just cause 3\dropzone\videos\ (<- you will have to create both of these directories too) and you skip the opening intro

and that running steam in offline and firewall blocking JC3 leads to about a 10 fps increase for a lot of people.

http://justcause3mods.com/uploader/gibbed/ :allears:

Gibbed is my fave thing in games

I'm on PS4. Sorry, you can't help me add 10 funs per second to my game. That's okay, though, the game is fun enough as is.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I've been playing Shadow Complex Remastered, and holy poo poo there are A LOT of melee kill animations. A lot of them bug out sometimes, but I just saw one I had never seen before, and I've had 300 melee kills. I'll never get tired of the high-powered gutpunch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Got to repeat the little comments when skipping lines in fallout 4 again, it's a great bit of characterization for the player character and I want to see something like it in other games. Talking to the radio guy in goodneighbor and listening to him ramble to himself about how great a cheesy fictional character is, and she just groans "the people I meet..."

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Personally I love all the :bethesda: quirks, they make for great game moments because they often end up so ridiculous.

The Rifleman perk can knock people down when you shoot them, which (combined with ragdoll physics) means that when a followup shot kills them, they clip into walls and get shot into the air. It's great.
The repeatable missions are a fast way to grind a level or two for that one neato perk. An even faster way to do them? Lay mines on spawn points for next time. Walk in, boom, lay the mines again, kill stragglers, home again.
Villagers have infinite ammo as long as they have one ammo. Plus they are REALLY aggressive, so give 20 villagers auto-laser-shotguns and they'll disco raiders to death. :krad: Even better that they fire from WAY outside effective range and do basically no damage for long-lasting disco parties.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Evilreaver posted:

Villagers have infinite ammo as long as they have one ammo. Plus they are REALLY aggressive, so give 20 villagers auto-laser-shotguns and they'll disco raiders to death. :krad: Even better that they fire from WAY outside effective range and do basically no damage for long-lasting disco parties.

I prefer gamma guns which are powerful as hell and in easy abundance from the children of the atom, the only downside is that they can't hurt ghouls. :shepface:

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I know he's a half-finished character, but I still love Agent from Resident Evil 6. He is entirely silent unless he's being attacked, cannot interact with anything besides going up/down ladders and ledges, and teleports to Ada anytime she uses her Batman gun to zip somewhere. It's like having a gun-wielding ghost buddy that has one helluva right hook.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

One time Abernathy farm was under attack from super mutants and I'd managed to take most of them out when one of my supply line provisioners randomly turns up with his minigun and mowed down all the other ones down before I even realized what was happening and then he just went on his way. Really, the way NPCs have basically no reactions to events after they've happened makes them all look like cold blooded killers crazy badasses.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RillAkBea posted:

One time Abernathy farm was under attack from super mutants and I'd managed to take most of them out when one of my supply line provisioners randomly turns up with his minigun and mowed down all the other ones down before I even realized what was happening and then he just went on his way. Really, the way NPCs have basically no reactions to events after they've happened makes them all look like cold blooded killers crazy badasses.

To be fair, that's probably just another Tuesday for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

QuietLion posted:

I know he's a half-finished character, but I still love Agent from Resident Evil 6. He is entirely silent unless he's being attacked, cannot interact with anything besides going up/down ladders and ledges, and teleports to Ada anytime she uses her Batman gun to zip somewhere. It's like having a gun-wielding ghost buddy that has one helluva right hook.

Unfortunately he's super boring to play if you're co-oping Ada's campaign; there's a lot of places you just have to wait around until Ada solves whatever puzzle.