Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

pusha t is tryhard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

rear end Catchcum posted:

Pusha t is better than asap talk about him more
ALLA is way the gently caress better than MNIMN.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I don't think alla sucked, it was just really mediocre. Asaps "enthusiasm"/intonation always putse to sleep.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

ALLA is way the gently caress better than MNIMN.

Yeah, but try to tell me it's better than Hell Hath No Fury

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
These are some wild comparisons you guys are throwing around

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

is this rocky's fifth symphony

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

is this rocky's fifth symphony

more like white album

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

e; this post was originally too aggressive but forreal stop getting baited into rear end catchum trolls

also needledrop nails how i feel about alla:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9J4diol8s

40 lbs to freedom fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 3, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

e; this post was originally too aggressive but forreal stop getting baited into rear end catchum trolls

i got to the bit where he said cloud rap like it's a thing. he apparently gives it 5/10 though and to be honest that's an insult to the production which alone makes it an 8

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Pusha t is better than asap talk about him more

Best rear end Catchcum post in a while

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Marching Powder posted:

i got to the bit where he said cloud rap like it's a thing. he apparently gives it 5/10 though and to be honest that's an insult to the production which alone makes it an 8

Cloud rap is a thing, at least a couple years ago. Stuff's still around, although it's mutated a bit. 5 is a bit harsh, as you said due to the production. But good thing reviews don't impact anyone's enjoyment of the music, right?

Related, Main Attrakionz dropping an album at the end of the month.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Cloud rap is still around, but it's almost all held together by productions. Still big outside of USA especially.

New Tempa T - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptBj2xO4Nrc

Xavier Wulff really likes his anime and made an entire tape dedicated to it, it's okay i guess https://soundcloud.com/xavierwulf/sets/xavier-wulf-project-x-full-cd

im gay fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 3, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

alansmithee posted:

Cloud rap is a thing, at least a couple years ago.

christ almighty

alansmithee posted:

5 is a bit harsh, as you said due to the production. But good thing reviews don't impact anyone's enjoyment of the music, right?

if anyone gets upset at music reviews it's a loss for humanity

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

christ almighty

if anyone gets upset at music reviews it's a loss for humanity

You just got upset that someone said a sub genre existed so

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
If I can learn why you think the highs on asap are higher than the highs on mnimn then I guess I will finally learn about rap. Everyone in this thread just says the production and beats are great which is true but then just put an instrumental album. ASAP is ok and most of the guests were weak af re: ye

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

goldblums eyes posted:

You just got upset that someone said a sub genre existed so

lol.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
New migos :allears:

http://youtu.be/DHGZixH6fuQ

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

40 lbs to freedom posted:

Although needledrop is the haverofbadopinions(tm) I can at least agree with him that this album could have been helped tremendously by adding multiply and getting rid of some of the more filler tracks like JD. Otherwise I think he's missing half of the point of LSD (which is definitely not a bad track like he thinks), and he completely missed the nostalgia of the chorus for Electric Body (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIA2e1QgVrM).

Giving the album a 5 is kind of unfair, and as said by Marching Powder this album is an 8 by production alone....and before you say anything about relying on production you have to know that people have made ENTIRE careers of relying on production.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't even think the production is that great. ALLA is just kind of boring in general. Hopefully it will grow on me.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
MIA and Bones. Possibly the best features eveeeeer.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I like ALLA but I'm not surprised that people don't like it. It's not a "fun" album and it's 3-4 tracks too long. Your enjoyment of it pretty much hinges on how much you like slow late night mood music.

Also ALLA is a better album than MNIMN but Numbers on the Board is one of the best rap songs of the decade

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

I like ALLA but I'm not surprised that people don't like it. It's not a "fun" album and it's 3-4 tracks too long. Your enjoyment of it pretty much hinges on how much you like slow late night mood music.

Also ALLA is a better album than MNIMN but Numbers on the Board is one of the best rap songs of the decade

Agreed, Pusha is great but I think he tends to be inconsistent

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
might of been posted but sickomobb has a new tape out already skeee-EEEee

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

did anyone post king gucci? like everyone else here ive stopped checking out his frankentapes but this is definitely one of the best ones hes put out since being locked up
http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/gucci-mane-king-gucci-new-mixtape.115844.html

also keef is evolving into a semi-comptent producer

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 3, 2015

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

this_is_hard posted:

Agreed, Pusha is great but I think he tends to be inconsistent

false - name one full weak verse by him, ever lol

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i guess that statement shows my bias

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

40 acres is pretty questionable

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Tremendous Taste posted:

40 acres is pretty questionable

What? That's one of his better ones.....

And I don't know if you can call Pusha inconsistent...it's not his lyrics that have ever failed him

Tremendous Taste posted:

It drags relative to the surrounding tracks imo

Ok, sure it's a completely different tempo than the tracks around it but the content of the song itself and wordplay is in the top half of the album. Say what you want about all the other guys we've discussed but Pusha might have one of the strongest delivies of any rapper i've ever heard of, and his lyrics are pretty much always top notch.

MNIMN is a better album than ALLA too, tbh, it's just much more condensed.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 3, 2015

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It drags relative to the surrounding tracks imo

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Let's talk about how stupidly fun this track is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgwCJuZ0u-o

Also is it just me but does A.F.R.O. sound a bit like Celph Titled during the last few lines of his verse?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I tend to agree. I honestly can't think of an outright bad Pusha verse, on any of his projects or features.

Like every single one of his verses on MNIMN hit and was fantastic. Some of the songs were lessened by the Features(Who I Am). Some Hook issues or pushing for Radio play (Sweet Serenade, No Regrets),

But I honestly don't see how it could be a consensus that ALLA is better than MNIMN.

King Push, Number on the Boards, Nosestalgia, Pain, and Suicide. Are better than anything I've heard on ALLA.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Discounting NoTB which is an all time great track, Excuse Me and Electric Body hold up. I'm personally fond of Back Home and M'$ but they aren't as good as the other two.

You either feel it or you don't I guess

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Also juicy j is better than asap

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

At what

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Dexo posted:

I tend to agree. I honestly can't think of an outright bad Pusha verse, on any of his projects or features.

Like every single one of his verses on MNIMN hit and was fantastic. Some of the songs were lessened by the Features(Who I Am). Some Hook issues or pushing for Radio play (Sweet Serenade, No Regrets),

But I honestly don't see how it could be a consensus that ALLA is better than MNIMN.

King Push, Number on the Boards, Nosestalgia, Pain, and Suicide. Are better than anything I've heard on ALLA.

The 911 came with the rear end shots
A toothless crackhead was the mascot
The owner of the key to that padlock
I’m Jordan vs Cavs for the last shot

Those 4 bars are better than anything ASAP Rocky will ever spit. Period.

Look at it - it's got double and triple entendre, it's almost poetic in it's simplicity he even drives it home with a visual in the form of a Jordan game winner for extra braggadocio on top.

That's from 40 acres too....

(And I like ALLA , it's just Pusha is leagues ahead of Rocky)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tremendous Taste posted:

Discounting NoTB which is an all time great track, Excuse Me and Electric Body hold up. I'm personally fond of Back Home and M'$ but they aren't as good as the other two.

You either feel it or you don't I guess

Eh, I don't hate ALLA. It's a good Album. I just don't think it's better than MNIMN.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It isn't for sure, edited to cut out the chaff it'd have a shot

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Dexo posted:

It's apples and rhinos. They aren't the same animal, they aren't the same sport. Better? I would just say they are equally good in different ways. I would have trouble putting one over the other.

I would ask if Rocky or Pusha T is a better rapper OVERALL. I would probably give that to Pusha, not that Rocky isn't dope but Pusha T has done a thousand amazing crack puns at this point.

E: i would say ALLA is better to kick it and smoke on some chill poo poo and you should listen to Pusha when you are breaking down your ounces into grams lol

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Anaranjado posted:

1 train and fuckin problems are not good songs. Actually they're super terrible

thathonkey posted:

im guessing if these are your favorite asap rocky songs you dont like asap rocky that much.

1 train and loving problems rule specifically because it's other rappers getting access to Rocky's production. I would kill for somebody like Gibbs to get Rocky-tier beats. 1 train's biggest problem is that it is a bit too long, which is fine, just cut off Rocky's verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

1 train and loving problems rule specifically because it's other rappers getting access to Rocky's production. I would kill for somebody like Gibbs to get Rocky-tier beats. 1 train's biggest problem is that it is a bit too long, which is fine, just cut off Rocky's verse.

i like those 2 songs but yeah they can hardly be called ASAP Rocky songs. some more/better features would have helped ALLA along with trimming at least 3 tracks. rocky doesnt have poo poo to say for 18 tracks. i still enjoy listening to a lot of the songs from it though. it's still new & enjoyable music.

i guess to weigh in real quick on this somewhat random comparison, MNIMN and ALLA are both pretty decent albums imo probably i would put them around the same ranking (good, but flawed in different ways). but i do think pusha T is a better rapper in terms of lyrics than rocky is, definitely. flow-wise they both tend to be good :shrug:

edit: oh btw on the Jamie XX album there is a slightly different version of that Good Time song with Young Thug if anyone wants to check it out it is on Spotify.