Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

I still haven't gotten a clear answer on this: Can you snap fire template weapons? Asking for a friend

Only Mk3 Armour can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

No, but if you're doing overwatch you get D3 hits for free.

Don't fall for the low level Hixson bait

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Oh. Well, then let me bring you guys leaked photos of the next Alpha Legion signature unit:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
MkIV Loco?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oh. Well, then let me bring you guys leaked photos of the next Alpha Legion signature unit:

https://youtu.be/SpumF9UTxA0

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
SO a few random questions

My favorite legions are the Death Guard, Night Lords and World Eaters

Could any of those legions be mostly played with infantry and stuff you can get from the battle of calth and burning of prospero

Can you run night lords well without alot of Jump infantry and jetbikes?

Which of the three primarchs is the best?

I actually prefer the World Eaters post-fall color scheme? Would anyone care much if I did a 30K world eaters force in red and gold versus white and blue?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Death Guard probably have the best Primarch of the 3 - Mortarion is a real motherfucker. And helpfully they can be run by sending wave after wave of your own men to their deaths. Mk3 is perfect for them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Agentdark posted:

I actually prefer the World Eaters post-fall color scheme? Would anyone care much if I did a 30K world eaters force in red and gold versus white and blue?

SO TRIGGERED

But seriously, Death Guard and World Eaters are both really infantry heavy forces. All my World Eaters stuff is mainly out of the plastic boxes, though I am going to have to invest in 20 Assault Marines soon. It helps to have Legion Rules that make Tacticools a thing to consider taking over Vets.

For Death Guard just get a bunch of Heavy Weapons and run The Reaping Rite of War. It is amazing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Night Lords are a MKIV legion so calth is a good fit for them. They tend to prefer infantry, but use dreadclaws or outflank to get their dudes places. Smaller killy squads with limited heavy support that you can get where you need is their theme. Batman isn't a beat stick in combat, but can strike where he wants so you're choosing your fights most of the time which is a big advantage.

World Eaters gradually descended into the red + gold trim colour scheme and it's not a stretch to assume they had whole groups of crazy red painted guys hanging out with each other. The Red Angel has a bad save, but makes up for it with volume of attacks and low cost for a primarch. He's also one of the best primarchs against vehicles, even knights. His boyfriends, the red butchers, are scary motherfuckers. WE are a MKII legion so you could probably get away with MKIII. They run hordes of infantry well and are probably the second best (in some situations, top) melee legion.

Morty is scary because he has a ton of wounds and can teleport around. DG are a MK3 legion like panascope is saying, so that's easy to buy. I don't really know how they play since there aren't any DG guys in our meta.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Right now in the books the World Eaters are portrayed in a transitional scheme, about half way between the old and new. You can definitely use the red and brass scheme, and Khorne it up for a late Heresy/Siege of Terra force. The only issue with doing WE is sourcing a bunch of Chainaxes, you can get those plus pistol arms from Anvil Industries pretty cheaply if you don't play in a GW store.

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Wargaming-Chain-Axes

For arms (the plastic dudes largely only come with rifle arms):
http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Exo-Lords/Arms-and-Bionics

MkIII use medieval arms, MkIV use vanguard arms. I tend to like World Eaters in MkIV, as MkIII looks too defensive, but it's 100% up to you. WOM will eventually get here and post his dudes that use these arms.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Night Lords can easily run an infantry-based force. They have access to infiltrating terror squads and their associated rite of war unlocks drop pods. As long as you don't mind drop assault armies, you can easily build a list around alpha striking. Outnumbering will be more difficult with smaller units, but that just means some units might have to gang up.

World Eaters are a pretty scary melee horde army and near-universal access to chainaxes makes even tacticals scary as hell. Painting them red/gold shouldn't be an issue and Forge World themselves have shown World Eaters in white/red instead of the traditional white/blue. There's be tons of room to make your own scheme as they descend further into madness. I think they should keep a white element for now though. They also look great in mkIV.

I don't know enough about Death Guard to really say much of substance, but I know they've got a rite of war around running a bunch of infantry supported by heavy support squads. Sounds like it'd be possible to make a solid army out of the plastic kits with minimal resin kits for weaponry, etc. MkIII is perfect for them.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Night Lords also get to deep strike terminators without Rites of War, which is great and another good use of Calth/Prospero plastic.

Play all three legions.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So here's my list right now. Let me know if there's any glaring errors. Had to change stuff around a bit because battlescribe wasn't charging me for the command squad's terminator armor. Dropped one terminator and a veteran, as well as a rhino pintle mount on a tac squad.

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy v66) (2500pts) +++

++ The Age of Darkness (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List v252) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (650pts) +

········Iron-father Autek Mor (650pts) [Cyber-familiar (15pts)]
············Legion Terminator Command Squad (410pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon (60pts)], 3x Legion Space Marine Chosen (45pts), 2x Power Fist (10pts)]
················Land Raider Phobos (250pts) [Armoured Ceramite (20pts), Extra Armour (5pts)]

+ Elites (540pts) +

········Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (150pts)
············Cortus Dreadnought (150pts) [Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons (15pts)]

········Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (210pts) [Shatter Shells (30pts)]
············Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (60pts) [Quad Mortar ('Thud Gun') (20pts)]
············Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (60pts) [Quad Mortar ('Thud Gun') (20pts)]

········Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (210pts) [4x Legion Veteran Space Marines (48pts), Veteran Tactics: Marksmen]
············Additional Wargear (40pts)
················Combi-weapon (10pts) [Combi-weapon: Plasma gun]
············Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier (50pts) [MultiMelta (15pts)]
············Legion Veteran Sergeant (20pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Bolt Pistol, Chainsword/Combat Blade]

+ Troops (610pts) +

········Legion Tactical Squad (180pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier (35pts), 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines (90pts)]
············Additional Wargear [Bolters]
············Legion Tactical Sergeant (20pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts)]

········Legion Tactical Squad (195pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines (90pts)]
············Additional Wargear [Bolters]
············Legion Tactical Sergeant (20pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts)]

········Legion Tactical Support Squad (235pts) [4x Legion Space Marines (60pts)]
············Entire Squad may exchange their Flamers for: (75pts) [Plasma gun (75pts)]
············Legion Sergeant (10pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Bolt Pistol]

+ Heavy Support (600pts) +

········Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher (35pts), Twin-linked Anvilius Pattern Autocannon Battery, Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter]

········Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (380pts) [Squadron Command Tank (35pts)]
············Legion Predator Tank (115pts) [Lascannon Sponsons (40pts), Predator Cannon]
············Legion Predator Tank (115pts) [Lascannon Sponsons (40pts), Predator Cannon]

+ Legion +

········Legiones Astartes [ X: Iron Hands, Loyalist]

········Rite of War [The Head of the Gorgon]

+ Fortification (70pts) +

········Aegis Defense Line (70pts) [Comms Relay (20pts)]

Created with BattleScribe

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
If you want to save a few points the vets can probably just outflank on foot and be fine, but that list definitely looks nasty.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

tallkidwithglasses posted:

If you want to save a few points the vets can probably just outflank on foot and be fine, but that list definitely looks nasty.

That's true.

Walking the vets on the field lets me add another powerfist terminator to fill my land raider up, and move the multimelta to the tac squad.

Edit: Actually, it's 3 chosen + standard so that's full already. How would you spend the 35 points? If I found 5 more points I could make the dread a Contemptor instead of Contemptor-Cortus.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 9, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Just read the whole counts as bullshit and basically I am also going to use Mark 7 armour because Emperors Children.

idk

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

New thread rule: if you get the first post on a new page post a good or bad warham picture as well as a picture of your toys. But also make sure there's actual content.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
My Death Guard are all in Mk4 because Calth came out first :colbert:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Right now in the books the World Eaters are portrayed in a transitional scheme, about half way between the old and new. You can definitely use the red and brass scheme, and Khorne it up for a late Heresy/Siege of Terra force. The only issue with doing WE is sourcing a bunch of Chainaxes, you can get those plus pistol arms from Anvil Industries pretty cheaply if you don't play in a GW store.

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Wargaming-Chain-Axes

For arms (the plastic dudes largely only come with rifle arms):
http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Exo-Lords/Arms-and-Bionics

MkIII use medieval arms, MkIV use vanguard arms. I tend to like World Eaters in MkIV, as MkIII looks too defensive, but it's 100% up to you. WOM will eventually get here and post his dudes that use these arms.

are GW stores THAT anal about bits? I haven't set foot in one for a decade, so I don't actually know. :psyduck:

I'd assume any reasonable manager is going to have a 'don't ask, don' tell' about poo poo like 3rd party hands as long as the person spends money in the store.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Really does depend on the manager, though official policy is that 3rd party headswaps and the like are fine, as long as around 75% of the model is GW/FW.

Generally this only applies for GW events, though again, you get the occasional manager who goes full anal on it.

I had one around here get incredibly funny about people using FW anything in his store.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I'd assumed GW events are a no-go, especially anything you might be in the running for a painting prize in., yeah.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I think it's perfectly reasonable. Building a loyal customer base is critical. Most FLGSs don't have the luxury of having alot of walk in customers.

If you aren't willing to spend money in their store for bits, you probably aren't willing to be a loyal customer. If you aren't willing to be a loyal customer, it's in the stores interest to send you away

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I've only ever been asked not to use a completely 3rd party mantic thunderfire cannon. Fair enough.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Really does depend on the manager, though official policy is that 3rd party headswaps and the like are fine, as long as around 75% of the model is GW/FW.

Generally this only applies for GW events, though again, you get the occasional manager who goes full anal on it.

I had one around here get incredibly funny about people using FW anything in his store.

My local GW store manager was fine with it, his replacement didn't let you use non-Citadel tools and wouldn't let you borrow the stores.

Yes this meant paint, glue, brushes, clippers, files... He didn't last long.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I travel 30+ minutes to my nearest GW store and the manager knows that. I bought the first couple of boxes for my army there. I also buy paint there when I stop in, which is at least monthly. If I got grief for my FW stuff I might feel myself ill used.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just proxy everything as Sekhmet

panascope posted:

New thread rule: if you get the first post on a new page post a good or bad warham picture as well as a picture of your toys. But also make sure there's actual content.

YES

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hey I was wondering what's going on over in 40k....

quote:

Part Three – Rise of the Primarch

Guilliman was captured. The Imperials that didn’t surrender were either killed, or forced to submit. Emperor’s Champion Amalrich was one of the latter, wrestled and beaten down by a mob of Red Corsairs as he single-handledly held the Enginarium. The prisoners were brought to the stronghold of the Red Corsairs – a freakin Blackstone Fortress! Turns out Abaddon had been pleased with Huron Blackheart’s rebellion, and given a kingly gift to the Tyrant of Badab proving both Abaddon’s sheer power (I mean, who gives away Blackstone Fortresses as participation prizes?!) and ensuring the loyalty of the Red Corsairs to Abaddon.

The Imperials were thrown into cells inside the massive space fortress, Guilliman held fast in the chains Kairos had forged from Guilliman’s own mind. He would rot in the prison for a time – Kairos didn’t want to simply kill Guilliman, for a chained Primarch was far too good of a source of power to simple throw away, and already Kairos was plotting in ways to make use of him. The Red Corsairs would act as gaolers, content with the boons that Fateweaver could grant them. But perhaps Kairos was distracted and failed to see the future somehow, for he missed the massive horde that was descending on the fortress… Skarbrand had come for the skull of Guilliman.

The hordes of Khorne fell on the Blackstone Fortress. The Red Corsairs rallied quickly, forming firing ranks and pouring fire into the charging Khornate forces. Kairos howled in dismay at the unforeseen events, summoning masses of Tzeentch Demons to fight back as more and more Khorne demons joined the slaughter. Guilliman, still trapped in his gaol, listened to the distant sounds of battle and prepared himself for any potential opportunities to escape…

Deep within the fortress’ core, a portal that had long lay dormant flickered to life. A band of shadowed figures, accompanied by a larger robed figure, slipped unseen into the Blackstone. Through the twisting maze of hallways they went, long-dormant systems coming to life to allow them access as they passed. Eventually they reached the cells that Guilliman and the Ultramarines were being held in, guarded by a full squad of Red Corsairs with guns trained at the only door into the gaol. At least the only door the Red Corsairs knew about. Silently and unseen, a door slid open at the back of the room and the Harlequins of the Veiled Path, and the larger robed figure, moved soundlessly up behind the Red Corsairs and cut them down before they could even react. The robed figure grabbed the key to the cells off one of the guards as Sylandri Veilwalker pointed him in the direction of a specific cell.

Guilliman watched as the robed figure approached his cell. He didn’t recognise the Astarte, but he did recognise the colours of the 1st Legiones Astartes.
“Who are you?” Guilliman asked.
“I can free you,” the mysterious figure replied, ignoring the question.
“Can. Not will. What do you want?” Guilliman frowned in return.
“Take me to Terra, to the Throne, and I will free you,” said the hooded figure. Guilliman, trapped in his chains, could only glare. He didn’t have much of a choice.
“Very well,” the Primarch replied, “but know this Dark Angel. If you seek to trick or manipulate me, nothing in this galaxy can save you.” One side of Cypher’s mouth lifts in a bitter smile.
“As you say,” Cypher mutters as he unlocks all the cells.

Sylandri Veilwalker steps forward at this point, and Guilliman’s eyes widen as he recognises her as the mysterious Eldar that guided them through the Maelstrom. But was she guiding them to freedom or had she deliberately sent them into a trap? Hmmmmmmmmmm. Veilwalker begins a dance as she focuses her energy on the chains around Guilliman, unbinding them. Guilliman, Sicarius and the rest of the Ultramarines, several hundred strong, were free. They still had their armour, but no weapons. Veilwalker revealed the location of their weapons and vehicles that been salvaged by the Red Corsairs. Guilliman was highly suspicious of the Eldar and the mysterious Dark Angel, but resolved to at least let them lead him to his weapons and allies. They moved quickly, for their escape would not go un-noticed for long. On the way they find and free Celestine and her Geminae, Cawl and his Mechanicus forces, Greyfax and finally Voldus and his Grey Knights as well as the rest of the successor chapter Marines and their Dreadnaughts and Tanks that had been taken off the ships. Sicarius suggest they strike fast to their ships to escape, but Veilwalker informs them that the docks are thick with fighting. At any rate, the human crews of the ships are all dead and their navigators have been taken away. The only way off is through the Webway Portal the Harlequins and Cypher came in on.

(btw I guess this means the Macragge’s Honour is left behind in the hands of the Red Corsairs….).

Driving their vehicles through the huge passageways, the Imperials and their guides make for the Webway, but its not long before they are noticed and eventually their advance slows to a crawl as they get pinned down by both Red Corsair and Demons sent out to intercept them. Finding themselves surrounding and pinned in from both sides, things are looking grim until the timely arrival of the Legion of the Dammed. Their spectral forms sweep in and clear the Chaos forces from their flanks, allowing Guilliman’s force to move forward. Eventually they reach the heart of the Blackstone, a huge chamber a hundred miles across with bridges cutting across it, connecting various doorways. The Webway Portal is at the far side, but from the doorways stream endless waves of enemies – Khrone Demons from oneside, Tzeentch Demons from the other. As the Imperials cross the bridges towards the Webway Portal, three-way fights break out between the Khorne, Tzeentch and Imperial forces. Guilliman catches sight of Kairos lurking way in the back, clearly not keen on getting up in Guilliman’s face now that the Lord of Change’s plans are in ruins. Skarbrand is a different story though.

The massive Bloodthirster charges forth, his rage influencing everyone around him. Amalrich and his Black Templars find themselves filling with rage and throw themselves furiously into the oncoming demons, the Emperor’s Champion going straight for Skarbrand himself. Guilliman considers diverting assistance to them, but knows he has to concentrate on maintaining cohesion amongst the rest of the Imperials lest they lose themselves to Skarbrand’s rage too. Voldus and the Grey Knights lead the advance, with the Legion of the Dammed bringing up the rear, as they close in on the webway portal. Cawl and his Skitarri are mowing down demons, Novamarine Vindicators are blasting away bridges to stop the demons flanking and Celestine and Greyfax are fighting side by side as they hack their way through demons (what a great date!)

But then Skarbrand lets loose a deafening roar, and leaps across the gap towards the Imperials. Guilliman’s eyes go wide as he see’s Amalrich’s Black Blade buried in the chest of Skarbrand, the only remaining sign of Amalrich himself (“a bloody atonement for his failings on Cadia”). Skarbrand lands amongst the Legion of the Dammed, sending them tumbling down the chasm into the darkness. The rearmost of the Imperial forces begin to turn back, already succumbing to Skarbrand’s madness, and Guilliman realises he’s about to lose control. He orders all Imperials to make fast across the last bridge to the Webway Portal and he turns back to confront Skarbrand, holding at the head of the bridge in his very best Gandalf impression. All the Imperials, and the Harlequins, are through the portal by now with just Sicarius and Celestine remaining outside. But Skarbrand is bearing down on Guilliman. That skull belongs to Khorne and by golly is Skarbrand going to take it!

Guilliman feels the hellish fires rise in his mind, as he begins to lose himself to the rage and unable to stop himself he charges at Skarbrand. The Emperor’s Sword meets Slaughter, as Guilliman ducks under Carnage. With every blow, Guilliman feels his rage rising even more, and a small part of his mind realises he’s about to be lost to it. He fights a second battle, in his mind, stamping his iron will back down on the rage until its under control. Glancing back he sees Sicarius and Celestine yelling at him to get his arse through the portal, and he steps backwards towards it, blasting away with the Hand of Dominion. Skarbrand is slowly being driven back, but Guilliman is down to his last shell – he aims it at Amalrich’s Black Blade still buried in Skarbrand’s chest, and blows it apart, shredding through Skarbrand and knocking him off the platform. With Skarbrand dealt with, but more demons pressing in, he sprints for the portal and dives through after Sicarius and Celestine as it the portal seals shut behind him.

Guilliman finds himself standing amongst the survivors of the Terran Crusade. About two thirds of the warriors who escaped the cells remain alive, and Voldus and his Grey Knights have remained relatively unscathed. He notices Cypher standing with a group of similar armoured marines, and realises they must have been waiting for Cypher in the webway. Sylandri Veilwalker shares a loaded glance with Belisarius Cawl, before speaking to Guilliman – they have to move quickly. She has Skyweaver Jetbikes scouting this area of the webway, and they are reporting Chaos Marines in blue and gold on the way. It dawns on Guilliman that, through sheer luck or patented Just As Planned shenanigans, Magnus knew that Guilliman would end up here and was lying in wait. But why…? It’s Voldus who comes up with an answer, dredging up knowledge from the libraries of Titan. Isn’t there a Webway Gate in the Imperial Palace? Of course! Guilliman deduces that Magnus already knows of this gate (there were rumours that the Crimson King had already passed through it once after all) and he was now simply waiting for the defences to be deactivated to allow Guilliman’s passage. Curse you Magnus! A masterful plan! Guilliman despairs at being so close to his destination, but unwilling to risk letting Magnus get a foot through. Veilwalker offers an alternative – if he can’t go to Terra, why not go to Luna? Oh yeah, btw, there’s a long dormant Webway Gate on Terra’s moon.

To Luna it is. The Terran Crusade sets off, with Cypher and his Fallen in tow, led by the Harlequin’s of the Veiled Path. Its not long before they come under attack by the Thousand Sons though, Rubricae and Tzaangors hounding them at every turn. But Celestine cuts a way through, and the Imperials continue a fighting advance until eventually the reach the portal. Donning helms and rebreathers, they step through the portal onto the surface of Luna. It’s a harsh transition, from the relatively comfortable environment of the Webway to the harsh vacuum of space. The crusade emerges into a deep crater and, with rays of Sol itself spilling over the lip, bound their way up the sides of the pit. Veilwalker begins to incant a ritual to seal the gate, but before she can finish the gate explodes outwards with a rush of blue energy as Rubric Marines step out of the gate. They being pouring salvoes of firing into the exposed Marines clambering up out of the crater. Guilliman halts the retreat at the top of the crater, standing amongst a graveyard of old decommissioned and junked starships. Above them, Terra shines in the sky and Guilliman is at last in sight of his destination. But its not ever yet – the Thousand Sons are on Luna. Guilliman knows that all the psychic activity will have undoubtedly tripped all the alarms so he just needs to hold off until help arrives.

The Thousand Sons are pouring out of the portal now, and Guilliman orders his forces to positions at the top of the crater, laying fire down into the Traitors. The Thousand Sons are getting hammered by the fire from the crater, but pulse of dark power swirls at the gate as a wave of dread sweeps over the loyalists. Magnus the Red had arrived. He throws out a huge shield of warp energy, and the Thousand Sons forces advance quickly up the slopes of the crater unharmed behind its protection. Seeing his position at the top of the crater about to be overrun, Guilliman orders his forces to pull back to the wrecks of the spaceships for cover. The Thousand Sons rise over the lip and begin advancing again, Magnus floating up behind them, wreaking havoc with his Psychic Powers. Guilliman realises Magnus will tear through his army if left free, and launches into a charge, jumping off the edge of the crater to strike at him in the air. Magnus just manages to parry, and they both go flying into the wreckage of the ships. Behind them, the Battle of Luna rages on.

Guilliman rises from amongst the wreckage and looks around for Magnus, challenging the Demon Primarch to face him. There’s pretty cool duel that takes place, but tl;dr - Magnus has the edge until the entire battlefield lights up in fire. The Terran Defense Fleet has arrived. Aided by telemetry uploaded by Archmagos Cawl, the Imperial Ships rain orbital fire down on the Chaos forces as teleportation flares light up – the Adeptus Custodes have also arrived, and they promptly get into wrecking face amongst the Thousand Sons. Yellow Drop Pods also thunder-down to the surface, as the Imperial Fists make an entrance. And amongst all the reinforcements, a trio of Valkyries bearing the sigil of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica beeline for the duel between Magnus and Guilliman. Sisters of Silence drop out to aid Guilliman and suddenly Magnus finds his psychic edge over Guilliman completely nullified.

Meanwhile, Sylandri Veilwalker sees Guilliman and Magnus locked in their challenge and realises the moment of the Final Act has arrived. Their drama had been played out, and the “brother’s enmity burned anew”. Signalling her Death Jester to communicate with Guilliman of her plan, she sprints for the webway portal and takes out the Sorcerers guarding it. She hastily prepares a ritual as Guilliman, informed of the plan, and the Sisters of Silence drive Magnus back down the crater towards the gate. Guilliman manages to drive his sword under Magnus guard, wounding him solidly, and Magnus lets out an uncontrolled blast of sorcery that blast them apart – and Magnus through the gate. Veilwalker triggers her runestone and the gate severs completely from the Webway, cutting Magnus off from Luna. With their Primarch gone, the rest of the Thousand Sons are mopped up. Sylandri, and the rest of her Harlequin Troupe, have vanished as well… The battle is over.

Guilliman stands amongst the gathered Imperial forces. Tech Priests are swarming over the deactivated webway gate, but most of them (save the Custodes) are staring at the Primarch in awe. He allows the senior Imperial Fist apothecary to treat his wounds, as an enormous gold Imperial Lander touches down with more Custodes onboard, led by Shield-Captain Ty Andronitus. He explains that the High Lords have organised Guilliman and his warriors would be brought to Terra in all haste, to travel as part of a glorious parade to the Emperor’s Palace. After some nice descriptions of the orbital defences and Terra itself, they land at the Eternity Well spaceport. Guilliman steps out infront of a massive crowd, and is shocked at the sights around him. Terra looks very different from when he last saw it – where once had been industrious glory, now was buried in grotesque layers of gothic over-construction and macabre religious ornamentation. Some more pretty cool descriptions of Terra as Guilliman and co eventually reach one of the many entrances to the Emperor’s Throne Room.

This one is a massive doorway that stands at the end of a towering cathedral, its space filled with millions of pilgrims who cry out in awe as not only Guilliman passes through them but the Living Saint herself. Sicarius, Grand Master Voldus, Shield-Captain Adronitus, Cypher and his Fallen, Belisarius Cawl and Katarinya Greyfax are also accompanying Guilliman and Celestine, followed by the Battle Brothers of the Terran Crusade. At least Guilliman reaches the foot of the stairs leading up to the doorway, where a 20 strong contingent of Custodes stood at guard. Their leader steps forward, introduces himself as Aquila Commander Kalim Varanor, and formally asks who comes before the throne room of the Emperor. Shield-Captain Adronitus formally announces each of the leaders of the Terran Crusade as ancient formalities played out, befitting the gravitas of the arrival of a Primarch. The millions strong crowd hold their breath as the Aquila Commander makes his judgement. Varanor looks to a Hooded Tech Priest that had been waiting with the Custodes, and the Tech Priest nods his head…

…the Primarch would pass, alone, into the throne room. Everyone else will remain outside. Cypher went for his pistols – he’d upheld his end of the bargain and he’d been promised entrance! But Guilliman was not fool enough to trust the mysterious Dark Angel blindly. He might not recognise his person but he did recognise the blade Cypher carried on his back, the sight of which made him shudder with dread. There was no way he was allowing that near his father. Guilliman commands the Custodian Guard to apprehend Cypher and his compatriots. Cypher hesitates for a moment, caught between attempting escape or making a futile lunge for the doorway, before the Custodes surround him and arrest him. They take him to a cell that, not for thousands of years, had anyone escaped from but Cypher would do just that. But for the moment, Guilliman turns and ascends the steps to the Throne Room. The Custodes part way for him, but the hooded Tech Priest bows before him, blurting out in binary. Belisarius Cawl hurries up the steps to exchange binharic blurts with the other Tech-Priest before turning to Guilliman to speak of secret pacts on Mars and works nearing completion. Cawl then turns and heads down the stairs, and into the crowd, important work on Mars requiring his attention…

Guilliman stands alone before the door to the throne room. A single chime booms through the cathedral, and the sigh of million worshippers rings out as the doorway opens to reveal darkness. Guilliman takes a breath, and steps through. The doors close behind him. Hours pass, the warriors of the Terran Crusade standing to attention before the throne room. The murmurs of the crowd turn to fervent prayer, and some even step forward to offer thanks and meagre offerings to Captain Sicarius and Grand Master Voldus. Celestine and Greyfax bail at this point, to “spread her blessings” and to “report to her Ordo Hereticus superiors”. Ah, that’s what they’re calling it these days

Artificial Day turns to Artificial Night and Artificial Day again before the doors open once more, and Roboute Guilliman steps out, expression unreadable. He demands an immediate assembly of the High Lords of Terra, and that he will be resuming his seat on that council as well as forcibly removing several High Lords from office. He would, once again, become Lord Commander of the Imperium of Mankind. Of his meeting with the Emperor, all Guilliman would say is that he received all the enlighten he required. He warns the High Lords of an encroaching darkness, a terrible Warp phenomena that was manifesting over the galaxy as the war against Chaos enters a terrible new phase. Cadia was only the beginning – from Fenris to Armageddon to Attila and Balor, all were feeling the claws of Chaos. But hope was not lost. New Armies would be raised, in numbers not seen since the days of the Great Crusade. From Cawl’s forges on Mars would come new and terrible weapons whose fury the worshippers of Chaos would be unable to stand.

The Imperium would not drown in the tide of warfare, but instead ride upon the crest of a bloody wave to triumph against darkness.

:stonk:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

:yikes:

The influx of new 30k posters can't be related, right? :v:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
40k end times definitely aren't coming, this is nothing like what happened with WHFB

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Holy poo poo that writing is garbage

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

This is good and dumb, just the way I likes it.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

TTerrible posted:

:yikes:

The influx of new 30k posters can't be related, right? :v:

Totally not we've always been here you just didn't notice.

Somebody please make a post explaining custodians because I'm thinking of pissing away my tax return on pretty golden boys.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

SteelMentor posted:

The last time I was in a GW here in good ol' New Zealand the store manager disallowed even forgeworld anything, alongside saying the store wasn't a library when I was 30 seconds into leafing through a white dwarf I was considering buying.

Never again. I believe he's still the manager/sole employee of the last gw store left here in Auckland.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bombogenesis posted:

Totally not we've always been here you just didn't notice.

Somebody please make a post explaining custodians because I'm thinking of pissing away my tax return on pretty golden boys.

They're ridiculously hard. Low model count. Grey Knights on steroids.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Just stay away from medusas and/or typhons.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

TTerrible posted:

They're ridiculously hard. Low model count. Grey Knights on steroids.

You weren't kidding about that low model count. Dicking with list building, less than 20 models can be up to 1500pts :wtc: I love it. I'll order some BoP dudes offa e-bay/amazon I guess and see what happens.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Bombogenesis posted:

You weren't kidding about that low model count. Dicking with list building, less than 20 models can be up to 1500pts :wtc: I love it. I'll order some BoP dudes offa e-bay/amazon I guess and see what happens.

I've only had to play against a squad allied with a regular legion so I'm not sure how accurate of an assessment this is, but they seem like they'll match up really well against other elite, infantry based armies and get totally owned by heavy shooting or armies that can put up a high volume of attacks.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Custodes are probably the cheapest way to get into 30k, especially if you get the plastics. You need like 20 models to play.

They have so many rules I can't even comprehend them all, but the general consensus seems to be that they are really really strong.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

BULBASAUR posted:

Custodes are probably the cheapest way to get into 30k, especially if you get the plastics. You need like 20 models to play.

They have so many rules I can't even comprehend them all, but the general consensus seems to be that they are really really strong.

As a cheap-rear end this was my hope. An HQ and fifteen dudes is just over 1k baseline according to my six seconds of research, and I'd assume if I wanted to get more bodies on the field I could bring in Sisters? It'll be a bit before I can go whole hog but I can easily grab a sprue or two from BoP and learn to hate building something new and exciting.

Thanks 30k thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Bombogenesis posted:

As a cheap-rear end this was my hope. An HQ and fifteen dudes is just over 1k baseline according to my six seconds of research, and I'd assume if I wanted to get more bodies on the field I could bring in Sisters? It'll be a bit before I can go whole hog but I can easily grab a sprue or two from BoP and learn to hate building something new and exciting.

Thanks 30k thread.

For what it's worth, I recall hearing that GW may be putting out 5 man squads of Custodians in support of the new 40k campaign book on the 18th, might push down the prices of the BoP cast offs some.