Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

To follow up on my performance stuff: Literally nothing I tried has worked and I'm still just getting 15-20 juddery FPS after trying every fix I could find here or on google, besides a 3-8 minute load time every time I want to try. I really have no idea what's going on.

I'm going to try that disk benchmark when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s badly optimized don’t let those people trick you it runs like absolute garbage.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I definitely got stutters and pop-in but nothing as bad as 15-20 fps

e:
8gb ram

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Xik posted:

I can't for the life of me remember now. I vaguely recall one or two power management settings and one under the disk properties in device manager. Looking through my benchmark folder I actually used ATTO Disk Benchmark to confirm the problem. The performance for 512B, 1KB, and 2KB was atrocious but larger sizes were fine when compared to online benchmarks. It was that day that I appreciated those tedious 20 page tech reviews with detailed benchmarks.

Just spitballing, but maybe the drive's not in AHCI mode? (2) (3)

Or perhaps it's almost full?

Also, if it's a Samsung 840/840 EVO, they can develop performance issues over time without current firmware.

Also also, clean out the dust inside your case.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Speedball posted:

I mostly just used the cyclops to help me store food as I moved closer to the endgame since it was awkward as hell. Naturally power becomes less of a concern once you finally get those thermal conversion chips for recharging from hot water.

Food was the least issue for me. My base had 2 pots in it that each held a Buboa tree and I always planted the last seed back in the pot when I'd eaten the rest. By the time I'd eaten the second plant the first had fully regrown. For travel I packed an emergency breakfast bar, but normally just ate cooked fish caught with the upgraded knife.

I thought the nuclear reactor was going to need baby-sitting or fuel replacement or the radiation suit but it was build and forget. I wonder if that's going to get more fiddly in future?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Gromit posted:

I thought the nuclear reactor was going to need baby-sitting or fuel replacement or the radiation suit but it was build and forget. I wonder if that's going to get more fiddly in future?

I think it does burn through its fuel but it takes a pretty long time per rod.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I put in four rods and each is worth 2500 power, and in the remaining 10 hours I played I didn’t even drain the first one with cell chargers going, so I think it’s effectively if not technically infinite

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I just built my farm and fabricator in the Cyclops. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Frog Act posted:

I put in four rods and each is worth 2500 power, and in the remaining 10 hours I played I didn’t even drain the first one with cell chargers going, so I think it’s effectively if not technically infinite

A couple days in and I have one depleted rod. :shrug:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Water filtration machines are basically the only power drain you need to worry about.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
On a scale of 1 to “this is just like No Man’s Sky!” How similar is this to No Man’s Sky?

Is it good and runs/looks well on a PS4?

Is it a good game for cool people like me?

Is it a linear narrative or more just an explore-y sandbox survival thing?

Sorry for the annoying questions, I’m on meds and my brain is dumb.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Feenix posted:

On a scale of 1 to “this is just like No Man’s Sky!” How similar is this to No Man’s Sky?
Thankfully, not much. Subnautica is a game that respects your time investment and has lots of atmosphere.

quote:

There's a story and an ending. You can also explore/build/craft, and you can survive or turn that part off.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s not procedurally generated. There’s a definite story you progress through so you have a sense of direction. These some RNG to the drops but if you get super lost there’s no spoiler guides you can use. I can’t speak to performance tho.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Picked it up myself on console. About 2~ hours in and the performance seems fine so far. Takes a bit to load when you load up your game or first start, but it's nothing too heinous. Not like, Morrowind on XBox heinous.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Is it good and runs/looks well on a PS4?

Is it a good game for cool people like me?

Sorry for the annoying questions, I’m on meds and my brain is dumb.
I've fought a war with bugs so hard that the things I've used to prove there were bugs have been patched out.

I would still recommend Subnautica "An actual complete game with a tangible goal". If as "A good game with rough edges and rougher history"

A friend of mine recently bought it and ran into nearly every bug I warned them about short of Internet Kraken's showstopper "Death by ending cutscene". But he still had a good time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 6, 2018

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

I definitely got stutters and pop-in but nothing as bad as 15-20 fps

e:
8gb ram

Lmao you literally have my setup with half the ram

I’m... just gonna put this away til I’m bored with smash

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
My own setup is:
A nearly 10 year old i5-750, 1050ti, and 8gb ram

And it runs perfectly smooth outside of occasional loading hitches.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Flytrap posted:

Not like, Morrowind on XBox heinous.

Especially if you had the original release, where the save could get large enough from you moving things around in the world that you could run out of memory and crash when entering any sufficiently modified areas. I spent more time booting up and loading the game then actually playing until the GOTY edition came out with a "fix" (hard limit on the "clutter" in the world, anything extra in a world cell being loaded gets placed in a bag and left in the middle of the area).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Fixed it this morning. It was... my hard drive firmware

Turns out old samsung hard drives had an issue! Xik was absolutely right.

Now I get 60FPS underwater on most settings, 45 when transitioning between environments. Thank you!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
...maybe wait on the PS4 version: I have been completely unable to ever save.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Heads up to anyone that follows the thread but doesn't own this yet, it will be free to pick up in about a weeks time from the new Epic store.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Save issue has been fixed and I'v established 4 bases. I've just built my first sub.
This is the first survival game I've ever really gotten into despite trying a bunch of them. Grinding doesn't hurt, travel isn't painful, overall it feels like you're making progress towards a goal and the game is only as hard as you want to make it. I also like that there are always several things to be working on, it feels open but branching, not railroaded rigidly to grind to the next tier. It's relaxed without coasting to a stop. I'm digging it. But save often, lots of bugs.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Xik posted:

Heads up to anyone that follows the thread but doesn't own this yet, it will be free to pick up in about a weeks time from the new Epic store.

So I picked up Subnautica from the Epic store, but when I launch it it's just a black screen with no audio, and the mouse cursor is the games one.

The game has clearly loaded, if I click in the right place It opens their red bubble store in my web browser, but I've already tried a bunch of troubleshooting steps, and I'm an nvidia user, so not an issue with the AMD graphics.

Any ideas or experience with an issue like this, thread?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

mehall posted:

So I picked up Subnautica from the Epic store, but when I launch it it's just a black screen with no audio, and the mouse cursor is the games one.

The game has clearly loaded, if I click in the right place It opens their red bubble store in my web browser, but I've already tried a bunch of troubleshooting steps, and I'm an nvidia user, so not an issue with the AMD graphics.

Latest drivers and OS updates? Probably try to do the equivalent of Steam Verify or just reinstall...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I really wish this game had co-op. God knows how it'd work with the engine being held together with baling wire and prayer as-is, but it would be SO nice.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

mehall posted:

Perhaps something related to which GPU is being used, or the game defaulting to VR mode?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Perhaps something related to which GPU is being used, or the game defaulting to VR mode?

hahahaha the epic launcher is so bad.

There's a settings button next to every game, so you can edit the launch parameters from there? Lol no, go to the epic launcher's settings menu, then go to the Subnautica bit.
How the hell is that going to work if their store actually does well. Like, if I had to do that in Steam, there are games I would have just refunded, because I'm not scrolling through 200 games I have installed to find the right section for it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

I really wish this game had co-op. God knows how it'd work with the engine being held together with baling wire and prayer as-is, but it would be SO nice.

Good news and bad news, this game will never officially have co-op, there are mods that give co-op but they only work so well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get the impression co-op was planned but didn't work out at all.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I imagine it really takes something away when you have someone watching your back.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yeah, I can't see the appeal of multiplayer in a game that has such a great "alone on a strange world" feel.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Just got this game; it's pretty fun. Once I've built my sea base, is there a way to have its position show up on my hud like my life raft does?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fayez Butts posted:

Just got this game; it's pretty fun. Once I've built my sea base, is there a way to have its position show up on my hud like my life raft does?

Yup, though you have to build a beacon for that. Beacons will float in place wherever you put them and can then be toggled on or off in your HUD.

Your vehicles also have their own hud indicator.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
This is a good chill game so far. Playing on the mode without hunger or thirst, just kind gathering stuff up and making boxes to put more stuff in. Slowly picking aprt the gameplay figuring, you know, I'll probably need these 15 boxes full of titanium and lubricant eventually. Should proooolly figure out how to get the plans for basemaking soon though. Wanna spread out before I strip mine everything around the start.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Speedball posted:

Yup, though you have to build a beacon for that. Beacons will float in place wherever you put them and can then be toggled on or off in your HUD.

Your vehicles also have their own hud indicator.

Or build a scanner room and the cameras can be toggled on your hud!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh right, I forgot about the scanner room. Which is invaluable if you want to strip an area clean of all specific resources. Man, they improved that dumb thing so much from when it was first introduced.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Beacons are life. Just make dozens of beacons.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

To follow up on my last tech support post: turns out it wasn’t my hard drive, as my frame rate issue returned within a few minutes after reboot. As it happens, the pump in my self-contained liquid cooler died! Looks like I’ve been redlining my cpu for a while now. Replaced the heatsink with a fan unit and now everything is as good as gold.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Just remember these things for scanner rooms:

A) They drain energy p hard. Give them their own bioreactor if you're too deep for solar.

B) Range is best, don't bother with speed.

C) Even then, the large deposits are a bit glitchy in terms of finding them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Are there any mods that give you a map? I keep getting lost in areas I've already been to, even though I've done like three complete runs.