Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Mantle posted:

I might be taking on a short 3 week software dev contract to rewrite a TypeScript microservice in Python. The contract would be with a NYC based consultancy, I don't know who the client is. I'd be working on this project after hours of my regular 40hr/week job. The consultancy is looking for 20-40 hours over those 3 weeks.

I want to negotiate on a per project-basis rather than an hourly basis. How can I frame the discussion in these terms? I have little experience in consultancy work so I'm not sure how to approach this.

e: What effective hourly rate is reasonable? I would self identify as an intermediate dev.

If you do this on a project basis then you need extremely clear requirements and deliverables. If either of those aren't clear then expect the company to argue for the interpretation that benefits them and requires the most work.

2x your current rate is a standard metric. You can calculate an hourly rate from a yearly salary by dividing it by ~2000 hours, 50 weeks at 8 hours a day modify if you want for more/less vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I've heard rumblings that asking for $100/hr is gonna be too much but I kind of feel like if I'm gonna be doing this after a whole regular day of work I want to be paid overtime rates at least. It also doesn't seem totally unreasonable in this market.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Mantle posted:

I've heard rumblings that asking for $100/hr is gonna be too much but I kind of feel like if I'm gonna be doing this after a whole regular day of work I want to be paid overtime rates at least. It also doesn't seem totally unreasonable in this market.

Not to say you shouldn’t shoot your shot and aim for $100/hr, but at that rate why wouldn’t they just go for someone else who contracts as their day job/someone who isn’t doing this on the side?

If I was the one selecting a contractor, “I want over time rates” and “I’m doing this on top of my regular job” just make me think you won’t be able to dedicate the correct amount of time and detail to the job.

Take my words with a grain of salt though, as I do not hire contractors, nor have I ever done contract work.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You can't get a contractor,(short term) doing this during the day for under $200 an hour, probably more like $300 and they'll be better at "counting" hours. Unless this is cash under the table I think $100 is low. After tax that's going to be like $2000 for the project which and I think it'll be a huge pain in the rear end.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd be inclined to ask them what their budget for the project is and work out if that's worth your while after tax. Take the timescale and spec into account, and be very clear if they expect changes to be at your expense or theirs and what level of ongoing maintenance is expected.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm currently full time Work From Home. WFH is so wonderful, but I really dislike the daily work I do, plus I have very little work to do. I've lost all passion for my career, and I have no fulfillment.

I have an interview for a place that is 30 minutes from my house, but its the kind of work that I used to enjoy. How are people determining how much extra pay they would need to commute? Its more than just the time spent in your car and the cost of the gasoline.

I would have to wear a button down shirt and slacks every day instead of the same t-shirt 5 days in a row. I get to walk outside in my garden whenever I want. I can take a poo poo at home. If I'm in a bad mood I can play a game of Starcraft.

I'm not sure how to put a dollar value on WFH vs commuting.

How to negotiate against yourself, a masterclass.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

asur posted:

If you do this on a project basis then you need extremely clear requirements and deliverables. If either of those aren't clear then expect the company to argue for the interpretation that benefits them and requires the most work.

2x your current rate is a standard metric. You can calculate an hourly rate from a yearly salary by dividing it by ~2000 hours, 50 weeks at 8 hours a day modify if you want for more/less vacation.

this is woefully low

Lockback posted:

You can't get a contractor,(short term) doing this during the day for under $200 an hour, probably more like $300 and they'll be better at "counting" hours. Unless this is cash under the table I think $100 is low. After tax that's going to be like $2000 for the project which and I think it'll be a huge pain in the rear end.

this is much more reasonable

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I wouldn’t do contract dev work for less than $200/hr, especially as a moonlight gig when I already have a job. Maybe $150 if I really liked the person/company/project, but even that’s a big maybe.

If you knocked on the door of even a low tier agency around here you’d be paying nearly 200/hr for the equivalent of junior devs, and much more for someone actually good. Granted there’s a middleman in the equation, but it’s still the going rate.

Especially do not do flat rate work. That is the path of pain.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Guinness posted:

I wouldn’t do contract dev work for less than $200/hr, especially as a moonlight gig when I already have a job. Maybe $150 if I really liked the person/company/project, but even that’s a big maybe.

If you knocked on the door of even a low tier agency around here you’d be paying nearly 200/hr for the equivalent of junior devs, and much more for someone actually good. Granted there’s a middleman in the equation, but it’s still the going rate.

Especially do not do flat rate work. That is the path of pain.

Yeah after sober second thoughts I am ok with letting this opportunity go if doesn't pay enough to make it worth it to moonlight.

I was distracted by knowing my friend is getting $90/hr as a full timer, but his situation has no bearing on what it would cost to make me happy doing it after hours.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm currently full time Work From Home. WFH is so wonderful, but I really dislike the daily work I do, plus I have very little work to do. I've lost all passion for my career, and I have no fulfillment.

I have an interview for a place that is 30 minutes from my house, but its the kind of work that I used to enjoy. How are people determining how much extra pay they would need to commute? Its more than just the time spent in your car and the cost of the gasoline.

I would have to wear a button down shirt and slacks every day instead of the same t-shirt 5 days in a row. I get to walk outside in my garden whenever I want. I can take a poo poo at home. If I'm in a bad mood I can play a game of Starcraft.

Alternative framing: you are being paid in time and opportunity to develop outside of work.

Pick up an outdoor hobby. Udemy course for $15. Skillshare for a similar price. Read a book. New path to a new career. Drawabox.com Like anything but giving it up. Get second remote job (and don't get caught).

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

this is woefully low

this is much more reasonable

How is it woefully underpaid? A intermediate software engineer should be making $200k+ which would be $100+ per hour and thus $200+ per hour at 2x rates.

If Mantle isn't getting $200k+ then they should dump this project and invest the time in interviewing and negotiating.

asur fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 13, 2022

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

For a 1099 it's actually a lot more as you're responsible for all the employer taxes as well.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Alternative framing: you are being paid in time and opportunity to develop outside of work.

Pick up an outdoor hobby. Udemy course for $15. Skillshare for a similar price. Read a book. New path to a new career. Drawabox.com Like anything but giving it up. Get second remote job (and don't get caught).

Having done the second job thing, the money can be nice, but IMHO, the time is better spent on yourself and finding peace and happiness away from work. Largely antithetical to the topic here, but still.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think he meant develop as a person

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I should have added that I live in the California Bay Area and only make $65k. I'm going to ask for $90k, if they counter with $85k I'll take it.

e: banking compliance

ee: well unless the pay range is higher than $90k...

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 14, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Since it's been taken out of the thread title:

This Whole Fukkan Thread posted:

Never say a number first.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Having done the second job thing, the money can be nice, but IMHO, the time is better spent on yourself and finding peace and happiness away from work. Largely antithetical to the topic here, but still.

Hadlock posted:

I think he meant develop as a person

Both, just throwing stuff out there to illustrate: holy poo poo, OP has time on their hands while being paid. Do something that's not giving up the time. Therapy is also a great option, fwiw. not relevant, OP is looking for pay increase.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 16, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Both, just throwing stuff out there to illustrate: holy poo poo, OP has time on their hands while being paid. Do something that's not giving up the time. Therapy is also a great option, fwiw.

I qualify for section-8 housing because of my income level, but yes, therapy is what I need instead of a better paying job. Thanks for the help.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I qualify for section-8 housing because of my income level, but yes, therapy is what I need instead of a better paying job. Thanks for the help.

I read your post as being unfulfilled in a career with lots of time on your hands and missed your update. Based on that, and having direct experience, I posted what I did to figure it out. Definitely not trying to belittle you and your income situation. That's my bad.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I read your post as being unfulfilled in a career with lots of time on your hands and missed your update. Based on that, and having direct experience, I posted what I did to figure it out. Definitely not trying to belittle you and your income situation. That's my bad.

No problem, I should have included my whole situation in my OP.

I probably should have made better use of my WFH time too.

pizzapocketparty
Nov 27, 2005
CHOMP
Just had a second interview and they followed up asking me for 3 references so they can send an offer letter. Thank you resume thread for helping to get me here.

Question : Do I ask/negotiate compensation prior to sending the references? Or did I let the boat sail on that matter?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You negotiate when they are ready to extend an actual offer. If they want to contact your references first, then you need to send them first.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
What do you do about references when you've worked in your current job for over a decade, are applying on the QT, and don't really have references from anywhere else that makes sense anymore? (Like, your old boss from 20 years ago shuttered the company where you used to work and is now a Youtube conspiracy theorist.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

References available upon request

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bill Pullman posted:

What do you do about references when you've worked in your current job for over a decade, are applying on the QT, and don't really have references from anywhere else that makes sense anymore? (Like, your old boss from 20 years ago shuttered the company where you used to work and is now a Youtube conspiracy theorist.)

Refer them to people who are not your boss or in your chain of command but who have exposure to your work. You generally only need a handful of people you can trust for this, it should be fairly straightforward.

Reach out to these people first to check the temperature.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I mean the conspiracy theorist could be a fun and exciting wildcard. Will you get an offer? Will you get a visit from the FBI?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Bill Pullman posted:

Do you have close-ish coworkers or teammates who have left but you're still on good terms with?

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014

SpelledBackwards posted:

Do you have close-ish coworkers or teammates who have left but you're still on good terms with?

Ah yes, that's the play. Duh. Thanks.

(I can't use anyone still with the company, no matter how friendly we are. It's strictly verboten and I don't want to potentially cause issues for them.)

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I mean the conspiracy theorist could be a fun and exciting wildcard. Will you get an offer? Will you get a visit from the FBI?

I could give him a try and see what happens. I actually don't think he'd do anything to mess me up. It's more that it was just soooo long ago. And, to be fair, there's a non-zero chance he'd tell them that I was aware that FEMA was putting nanobots in his fillings or something.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
If I could get a recording of the call, I'd vote wild card. But I don't think we can.

Unless someone in this thread is connected. :nsa:

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014

leper khan posted:

If I could get a recording of the call, I'd vote wild card. But I don't think we can.

Unless someone in this thread is connected. :nsa:

He would argue that someone in this thread is already aware and probably manipulating the entire interview process as we speak.

Yeah, just checked out his latest video. I'm not gonna include him in my references. Hoo boy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you are in a role where you work with external entities you could maybe go that route.

edit: like i'd put a couple of key client people who think i am the poo poo

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I haven't caught up on the thread in a couple of months but felt compelled to post. I've just accepted an offer at a new firm (a competitor) for 90% more than what I earn right now and its all thanks to advice from this thread.

Even my recruiter was impressed at how I managed it. Although she did say my CV and interview skills really did help me too.

What leads me to thank you all is that they asked if they made me an offer would I then use it to get a counter offer where I am?

I said nope. I told them asking for a raise is practically begging for more money for the same job, if the answer is no its best to just move on. If they made a counter it would tell me that they could afford it all along, meaning they had no respect for me. Plus it would make me a flight risk and I'd never get promoted further. They would spend the next 6 months insulating themselves and making sure all my duties could be covered by others. They loved the answer and my overall business acumen. Made me an offer at the top of their range so perfect.

Thanks thread for giving me the wherewithal and confidence to talk about these things like I know what I'm doing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I remember you (because of your Lawrence avatar) and I remember you made a post about dealing with recruiters a year or so ago that was tremendous and that I've been meaning ever since to quote and write an effortpost off the back of. Haven't gotten around to it yet but awesome work and I hope you post more in this thread as you have time :cheers:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Hell yeah. I love lurking this thread to hear the wins.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's nice to see honesty and straightforwardness getting rewarded.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fuckin' A dude, nicely done.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I remember you (because of your Lawrence avatar) and I remember you made a post about dealing with recruiters a year or so ago that was tremendous and that I've been meaning ever since to quote and write an effortpost off the back of. Haven't gotten around to it yet but awesome work and I hope you post more in this thread as you have time :cheers:

I've never had my shitposting referred to as tremendous before; you are making me blush.

Bill Pullman posted:

Advice that won't help you now but will in future - Ask people you know, trust and respect for written references that you can then pull out of your rear end several years from now. It helps covering your working life if you get challenged on it in future and also if the companies go *bump* and you can't locate the person. They are much better than contact details for someone to make a phone call with and you also have the advantage of knowing exactly what they will say. I have a bitching reference from someone with an impressive work title that I'd still use even though it's 20 years old.

The 'References available of request' is still the correct way to go on any CV/Resume. For now in your case I'd try and think outside the box first and see if there is someone that would/could help that won't set off any alarms. As an e.g. I had a colleague in the same situation who worked as an IT support computer toucher that needed a reference and didn't want to spook anybody with his plan to leave. He thought about it and realised that he had an excellent relationship with a Sales Director in the company as the two had bonded over their diabetes diagnosis that they both received within months of each other; they'd talked about it and helped each other. He contacted him on the sly and the guy agreed to keep it quiet. It was a better reference than one from 'Senior Computer Toucher' anyway.

Other way to go is to give them your current boss's details and *heavily* caveat that they are *not* to contact them unless they wish to make a serious offer. Tell them straight - most people would understand you not wanting to let your current employer know you are leaving.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

deported to Canada posted:

Other way to go is to give them your current boss's details and *heavily* caveat that they are *not* to contact them unless they wish to make a serious offer. Tell them straight - most people would understand you not wanting to let your current employer know you are leaving.

loving power move. I like it, but I'd probably be too chicken to do it myself.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Sometimes you have to risk going too far to know how far you can go.

As a point to note, in the UK as you can't trash someone by law in a reference most companies only say "Yes Mr/Mrs X did work for company Y doing a job as Z from date". Anyone that would give you a reference of any real value would probably at the very least like or tolerate your existence and may even be complementary. If all I had to do was prove that I had a job and I'm not making it up then gently caress it just call my boss and ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I’m not sure if any laws like that exist in the US ( :lol: yeah right) but I have heard that it’s generally at least a standard HR practice (to cover their butts, as usual).