Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has anyone here gone to one of the Mads live riffs? There’s one here next week and I was wondering if they bring/sign merch after the show? I want Frank’s books.

I’ve seen them, they’re very cool about signing stuff and Frank’s books are for sale. Plus the show is great. I saw them riff The Tingler, it was delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reince Penis posted:

I'm not sure how tight we are on season 12 spoilers here but Frank was away from his radio show for a week and posted a pic of him and Patton during that time so guess who's probably making a cameo!

:) This excites me greatly.

Based on this spoiler, it now occurs to me that TV's Frank could also be called TV's Father of TV's Son of TV's Frank.

Not that I'm claiming it as a good idea.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Internet's Dad of The Internet's Max.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

WHEN THE HELL CAN I REWATCH THE LIVE SHOWS?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Junkie Disease posted:

WHEN THE HELL CAN I REWATCH THE LIVE SHOWS?

I'm still irritated at Wiseau for not letting them sell the live version of The Room.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Oddly, and as Joel promised, there's another pledge drive for the new season of MST3K. If you want a Season 12 tshirt, tote bag, or poster, now is your chance to get that. You can also get an AP / EP credit or an invention exchange invention, Crow, or Tom Servo production prop. Are the bots props? Don't tell them I asked.

Ardy posted:

Every new pledge will be used to help us keep Mystery Science Theater healthy, and allow us to take MST3K into the future... plus you’ll get some cool rewards in return!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

CapnBry posted:

Oddly, and as Joel promised, there's another pledge drive for the new season of MST3K. If you want a Season 12 tshirt, tote bag, or poster, now is your chance to get that. You can also get an AP / EP credit or an invention exchange invention, Crow, or Tom Servo production prop. Are the bots props? Don't tell them I asked.

You can also pre-order digital downloads and collector-edition DVD/BluRay releases which will release 6 months after the Netflix premier and 6 months before the public release. The pre-ordered DVD/BluRay set will come with an exclusive bonus disc which will have material that will not be offered with any other release.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It won't process my payment :negative:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

It won't process my payment :negative:

I had to use Paypal instead because it wouldn't take my credit card directly.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

I had to use Paypal instead because it wouldn't take my credit card directly.

Same.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ok good, it's not just me then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The digital download of S12 for $50 seems like a good deal. (In fact, most of the sub $100 stuff seems decent)

The Executive Producer credit on all episodes and private screening would be cool, but there’s no way I could justify that amount of money.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

New email to the Kickstarter backers shows some of the pages for the MST3K comic. Since adding silhouettes and word bubbles to existing comic panels is too messy, they're just redrawing the pages with MST3K guys acting as/replacing certain characters. So they're reenacting the original stories while calling things out.

Kind of like a classic Deadpool comic from the late-90's where Deadpool and Blind Al went back in time and pretended to be Spider-Man and Aunt May in an old Spider-Man comic from the 60's.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Some of y'all might be interested but forums goon Ben Solo has copies of the remastered Atomic Brain/Monstrosity for sale on Amazon. It's a nice companion piece to go along with his Manos remaster.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I had surgery this past week, and my surgeon’s name was Dr. Forrester. That probably shouldn’t have felt reassuring but it was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I stumbled across an old episode I don't think I'd ever seen before, San Francisco International. It's pretty hilarious. While no doubt running an airport is a big job, Parnell Roberts elevates it to impossibly smug levels. I wish they'd gotten to do more of these kludged together 70s TV movies. (There's the Master Ninjas and Riding With Death. Am I forgetting any?)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dawgstar posted:

So I stumbled across an old episode I don't think I'd ever seen before, San Francisco International. It's pretty hilarious. While no doubt running an airport is a big job, Parnell Roberts elevates it to impossibly smug levels. I wish they'd gotten to do more of these kludged together 70s TV movies. (There's the Master Ninjas and Riding With Death. Am I forgetting any?)

I want to say Time of the Apes falls into that category, but Japanese. Maybe the Fugitive Aliens, too?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

Stranded in Space is one, Code Name: Diamond Head is another, and closer to SFI, since they were both TV pilots, while The Master Ninja and Riding With Death were TV Eps edited into movies. Rocky Jones, Fugitive Alien films, and Time of the Apes are other TV shows edited into movies.

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank was a PBS movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Was Angels Revenge a TV pilot?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Dawgstar posted:

I love San Francisco International. One of the highlights of my life was flying into the actual airport a few years back. We had a safe landing because there were no mushy wheels on my plane.

Sadly, I failed to find any vending machines that sold diet gum, and I certainly didn't meet any made-for-TV hippies.

'The answer my friend, is blow it out your arse' never, ever fails to catch me off guard or to make me laugh (it's up there with the increasingly gastic 'fat man' sound effects from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

I should give it another watch if only to honour the recently departed Tab Hunter :patriot:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

It rarely gets brought up, but this is my favorite episode.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
My job my way!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Is that the one where they take a bunch of bureaucrats or investors or something up in a plane and pretend it's going to crash just to show them that safety is important? Because gently caress those guys.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unkempt posted:

Is that the one where they take a bunch of bureaucrats or investors or something up in a plane and pretend it's going to crash just to show them that safety is important? Because gently caress those guys.

IIRC they're a senate group in charge of airport appropriations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Unkempt posted:

Yeah, it's the Senate like above, but you must understand that Robert Parnell has the most important job in the world and possibly scaring people into heart conditions is worth it.

Mike and the Bots' hilarious punching down of the kid whose parents are getting a divorce so he steals a plane is one of the funniest things I've come across in a while.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

brocked posted:

My job my way!

Ooooh, there's a dense smug rolling in.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it's the Senate like above, but you must understand that Robert Parnell has the most important job in the world and possibly scaring people into heart conditions is worth it.

Mike and the Bots' hilarious punching down of the kid whose parents are getting a divorce so he steals a plane is one of the funniest things I've come across in a while.

:eng101: Pernell Roberts. Source: Having to watch Bonanza every week as a kid.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Dawgstar posted:

Go back to your piddling congress, I run an airport!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dawgstar posted:

I think there were a couple for both Spider-Man and Captain America back then too

Also they unfortunately never got English dubs for the most part, but multiple Tokusatsu series got those kind of compilation movies, imagine how Joel/Mike/Jonah and the Bots would react to something as ridiculous as Kamen Rider V3 or the Gorangers, it would be gold

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Part of what makes those Sandy Frank movies so rough is that they weren't simply a few episodes in a row made to look like one movie, like with Master Ninja and San Francisco International. They were cobbled together from entire 13 to 26-episode TV series. Stories that originally had a lot of time to breathe wound up crammed into a few hours with a lot of important scenes glossed over.

I have no idea if any of their uncut versions were remotely any good, though Mighty Jack was produced by one of the creators of Godzilla and Ultraman.

For comparison, when Japanese producers decided to make a compilation movie out of Mobile Suit Gundam's 43 episodes, they made it a trilogy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ms Boods posted:

Ooooh, there's a dense smug rolling in.

Mother: "It's just that sometimes married people-"
Crow: "-break up because of their kids."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CapnBry posted:

:eyepop: $25,000 to be an "executive producer" and it comes with this nice caveat

* Please note: While you will be credited as an Executive Producer and enjoy an amazing experience – and our deepest gratitude! – this title is honorary, and does not grant any formal decision-making role or financial return on the series.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Dawgstar posted:

While people are talking about it- showed it to my pilot friend as recommended by this thread.

She alternated between head in her hands, and glaring at the screen and/or me in pure anger. I count that as a success. Next time- Starfighters :v:

What threw me the most was MacGyvers boss showing up to yell at TV hippies. And that we found out afterwards that the plane the kid stole actually is the easiest to fly plane ever. It's rigged so it's like having the Easy control mode from Ace Combat on all the time- wheel only, no rudder pedals.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of SFI, the actor who played the fake priest, Tab Hunter, passed away recently.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Saw The Mads tonight. They riffed The Choppers, another movie starring Arch Hall Jr of Eegah fame (infamy?). After that, they riffed two absolutely horrifying shorts: one with a hellspawn walking mouth and ears that I can’t find on YouTube, and this thing. Frank and Trace were really nice, though Frank seemed pretty reserved. He only really lit up when my friend asked him about Cartoon Dump.

Pretty great night overall though, they’re both still great riffers. It was nice to see them be absolutely brutal and just tear into a film in ways they never could on broadcast tv.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of SFI, the actor who played the fake priest, Tab Hunter, passed away recently.

Ms Boods posted:

I love San Francisco International. One of the highlights of my life was flying into the actual airport a few years back. We had a safe landing because there were no mushy wheels on my plane.

Sadly, I failed to find any vending machines that sold diet gum, and I certainly didn't meet any made-for-TV hippies.

'The answer my friend, is blow it out your arse' never, ever fails to catch me off guard or to make me laugh (it's up there with the increasingly gastic 'fat man' sound effects from Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

I should give it another watch if only to honour the recently departed Tab Hunter :patriot:

Ahem.

[Crow: laughs like the Riddler]

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

what gets me every time is the increasingly maniacal laughter between Santa and his mechanical reindeer

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paingod556 posted:

While people are talking about it- showed it to my pilot friend as recommended by this thread.

She alternated between head in her hands, and glaring at the screen and/or me in pure anger. I count that as a success. Next time- Starfighters :v:

She, too, will be singing the stock footage song "Da da da da da, EAT IT MOVIE!!!"

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Dawgstar posted:

Mother: "It's just that sometimes married people-"
Crow: "-break up because of their kids."

"All those people down there are getting divorced because of you, Davey."

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
"The faces of those you've wronged will float up at you on the left"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Paingod556 posted:

Inspired by the thread, last night I watched San Francisco International with my girlfriend, who works in operations for an airline. She had exactly the same reaction: yelling at the screen about all the things that simply would not happen, or don't work that way, no matter how many decades ago it takes place. It was great. :haw: