Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I usually buy my friends' kids things that make a lot of noise, because I'm terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They should use the old Toys R Us buildings for stores that sell nothing but Hungry Hungry Hippos games.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Doom Rooster posted:

No kid ever actually called themselves a Toys R' Us kid either. Freakazoid is right. They only cared about TRU because they knew it had a fuckton of toys.
They didn't call themselves Toys R Us kids, but the point was to get them to have a positive impression of the store and also know exactly where to bother their parents to go when they wanted some toy or other. The fact that it's being described as "iconic" by people that grew up under it proves it worked. It's "iconic" in the same way as cartoon characters used to sell sugary cereal.

That said, I don't think there's anything particularly "gross" about it compared to the entire rest of the advertising industry.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OneEightHundred posted:

They didn't call themselves Toys R Us kids, but the point was to get them to have a positive impression of the store and also know exactly where to bother their parents to go when they wanted some toy or other. The fact that it's being described as "iconic" by people that grew up under it proves it worked. It's "iconic" in the same way as cartoon characters used to sell sugary cereal.

That said, I don't think there's anything particularly "gross" about it compared to the entire rest of the advertising industry.

Advertising directly to children is the worst part of the advert industry. Children's brains aren't equipped to reason their way out of it as they're just not developed yet. That's why directly advertising anything to children was banned until the Reagan administration. Needless to say advertising got significantly more scummy after that.

This is also why cults target the young and insist that you induct your children. If it becomes a core part of your identity that's something they can tap forever. The fact that people have strong nostalgia for so many absolute garbage cartoons from the 80's is also proof of this.

And no I'm not entirely immune to that either. I still fondly remember He-Man and Transformers even though the animation quality was complete trash. That and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles though that I haven't gone back and watched to tell you if the animation was bad or not. I'm going to assume it was.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Motronic posted:

It's a hobby, which is fine. It just happens to be used as a virtue signaling hobby by a lot of people which is annoying

:agreed:

if you want to grow poo poo on your roof or pretty it up or even make your own little wildlife habitat then more power to you

if you then go around claiming you're saving mother earth and restoring humanity's connection to nature (:weed:) unlike non garden owning filth then kindly gently caress off and die

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And no I'm not entirely immune to that either. I still fondly remember He-Man and Transformers even though the animation quality was complete trash. That and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles though that I haven't gone back and watched to tell you if the animation was bad or not. I'm going to assume it was.
I've been watching some old cartoons with my kid like Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters and honestly they're fine. Some parts haven't aged well (there's definitely some sexism that got a pass back then that wouldn't now), but for the most part they're just fun and dumb, exactly like you'd expect and probably remember.

While in a lot of ways you have much smarter cartoons these days, I do kind of miss the gratuitous violence and insults* that went out of style.

* Old school Shredder is loving amazing for this, you can't get away with this poo poo anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ixWMO57Aw

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lmao is that Reginald VelJohnson?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Nah it's Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince, James Avery: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Avery_(actor)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

I've been watching some old cartoons with my kid like Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters and honestly they're fine. Some parts haven't aged well (there's definitely some sexism that got a pass back then that wouldn't now), but for the most part they're just fun and dumb, exactly like you'd expect and probably remember.

While in a lot of ways you have much smarter cartoons these days, I do kind of miss the gratuitous violence and insults* that went out of style.

* Old school Shredder is loving amazing for this, you can't get away with this poo poo anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ixWMO57Aw

I was mostly thinking of the animation. He-Man in particular was unbelievably awful. It was pretty blatantly Hannah-Barbara levels of "let's do this as cheaply as possible and just trace everything."

Looks like TMNT did some of that but didn't let the quality completely go to poo poo. And yeah Shredder's zingers are often timeless. The bickering between Krang and Shredder, too...ah that brings back memories.

But really look at He-Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW3Ehu-jMCM

So much of that show is scenes where the only thing moving is the person's mouth while they occasionally blink. If you watch closely the constant reuse of animation even in places where it doesn't necessarily make sense becomes pretty obvious. It isn't even good animation; sometimes it's just the same three or four frames repeatedly endlessly for entire scenes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Ghostbusters holds up but you need a weird chart to know which seasons and at one point they were running good episodes and bad episodes simultaneously on different time slots

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fun thing is almost all of the popular cartoons have gotten remakes at some point, He-Man in particular got a relatively short lived but way better 2003 cartoon, so you never know if you're actually talking about the same show with some kids.

And Batman The Animated Series holds right the hell up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BlueBlazer posted:

My friends who now have kids, I give them older laptops/ computers/ tablets/ server subscriptions. I'm your lovely internet uncle.

Give gifts that last, teach, and are needed.

'Last' is a questionable modifier given I used my first second-hand computer basically to learn everything not to do with a computer, and completely wrecked it in the process.

I think kids having overflowing toy chests isn't the worst thing as long as it means they have variety. Let 'em have Barbies, toy cars, dinosaurs, nerf guns and lego for whatever mood they're in. And then have Barbie on the dinosaur ranch with car roller skates and Nerf artillery.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My go to kids gift when my kid has to go to a party is a gift card to the movies.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Advertising directly to children is the worst part of the advert industry. Children's brains aren't equipped to reason their way out of it as they're just not developed yet. That's why directly advertising anything to children was banned until the Reagan administration. Needless to say advertising got significantly more scummy after that.

This is also why cults target the young and insist that you induct your children. If it becomes a core part of your identity that's something they can tap forever. The fact that people have strong nostalgia for so many absolute garbage cartoons from the 80's is also proof of this.
It depends on the product, most of it doesn't wind up being a core part because it gets outgrown. I'm more worried when we're talking about things that do instill lifelong habits like cigarettes(/JUULs), soda, and McDonalds.

I think the difference is just overstated, mostly in the sense that adults seriously underestimate how much advertising affects them and have normalized absurd levels of advertising bombardment. Kids don't understand that ads are trying to persuade them and sell them stuff, fine, but why are adults just now starting to reckon with what the entire point of Facebook has been for years? Why do they think selling cereal with cartoon characters is the kind of absurd poo poo that only kids fall for when stuff like recent Axe body spray commercials exist?

Before cable TV penetration was high and Cartoon Network existed, broadcast TV was already cutting back on kid-focused time slots because they figured adult-focused programming would rake in more advertising revenue.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 16, 2018

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am glad where we are now at the point where my kids get confused when they see commercials. Thanks Netflix and YouTube Red.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Truth. X-Men, on the other hand, really, really doesn't.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now that show...that show is god damned art.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OneEightHundred posted:

It depends on the product, most of it doesn't wind up being a core part because it gets outgrown. I'm more worried when we're talking about things that do instill lifelong habits like cigarettes(/JUULs), soda, and McDonalds.

Get the gently caress out of here with equating tobacco products with food you dislike because you want something practically indistinguishable.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Truth. X-Men, on the other hand, really, really doesn't.

You are a liar and I will fight you.

Listen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkL2-vh2Sk

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A lot of already-existing rooftops aren't adequate for green roofing but it's more than feasible to make it so new buildings require them, since people are stupid and crabby and greedy and need to be dragged screaming into anything that isn't immediately gratifying.

The engineering required to do a green roof anywhere that has lots of precip and snow loads is very, very expensive compared to standard roofing practices. It's a trend for looking environmentally conscious, nothing more.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Liquid Communism posted:

The engineering required to do a green roof anywhere that has lots of precip and snow loads is very, very expensive compared to standard roofing practices.

Is any solution universal? I assumed we were talking about places where they would actually be functional, I don't know why would think otherwise.

Liquid Communism posted:

It's a trend for looking environmentally conscious, nothing more.

The main issues I'm aware of are logistics and money, but that applies to basically every fixable problem we have - the ecological benefits seem to be sound.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The main issues I'm aware of are logistics and money, but that applies to basically every fixable problem we have - the ecological benefits seem to be sound.
The main problem is that crops being separated by rooflines (and needing to move harvesting equipment to roof level) drastically hurts the efficiency. You're probably better off putting solar panels on top instead.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There are a whole bunch of ways to do the stuff "Green roof" design does. Really they're most desirable on relatively short structures which ease maintenence and also mean that they can affect ground level conditions more directly.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

:science: Green roofs are also good at controlling storm runoff!

Plus they look cool and make rooftop decks nicer, which is a totally valid reason to build things

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Foxfire_ posted:

:science: Green roofs are also good at controlling storm runoff!

So do gutters.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I agree on urban farming, which is why I urban farm wolves. Cute, cuddly, and removing pests, wolves are a fun neighbor to keep around, and a great babysitter for neighborhood kids to instill wolf values in the impressionable minds of our children.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Gutters are actually real bad/useless at stormwater control. The problem is that there's no exposed soil anymore and all the rain over a big areas gets channeled into large flows. The classic solution is stormdrains sized for the biggest thunderstorm you expect, plus regular maintenance to keep them from clogging.

Green roofs are nice because they're basically big water storage tanks that slowly release. You can use actual tanks too though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LeJackal posted:

You are a liar and I will fight you.

Listen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkL2-vh2Sk

The live-action russian version was a much much better show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Oasn5EUac

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Foxfire_ posted:

Gutters are actually real bad/useless at stormwater control. The problem is that there's no exposed soil anymore and all the rain over a big areas gets channeled into large flows. The classic solution is stormdrains sized for the biggest thunderstorm you expect, plus regular maintenance to keep them from clogging.

Green roofs are nice because they're basically big water storage tanks that slowly release. You can use actual tanks too though.

There's still no exposed ground level soil when you're building a "green roof" on a portion of the roof to a 10+ story building though. You also can't retrofit too much soil holding capacity up there so they can't hold all that much water.

As such you still need a proper gutter system from the roof and other outcroppings down to ground level, and preferably to safely carry the water places just dumping it in the road won't take it.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 16, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Planting a bunch of grass on a roof to control stormwater isn't the same thing as planting food crops.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Grass looks nice. Take some of the money away from the people who have billions of dollars sitting around and put grass on our rooftops. Water them with their blood.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

edit: Wrong thread

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

fishmech posted:

Get the gently caress out of here with equating tobacco products with food you dislike because you want something practically indistinguishable.

It's a perfect comparison, complete with the CEO's of all mentioned goods engaging in the same immoral practices to get children addicted until/unless forbidden by regulations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

AsInHowe posted:

I agree on urban farming, which is why I urban farm wolves. Cute, cuddly, and removing pests, wolves are a fun neighbor to keep around, and a great babysitter for neighborhood kids to instill wolf values in the impressionable minds of our children.

It worked for Rome so why not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

poopinmymouth posted:

It's a perfect comparison, complete with the CEO's of all mentioned goods engaging in the same immoral practices to get children addicted until/unless forbidden by regulations.

It's not, because soda and slightly different food than you like to eat aren't literal poison.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Perhaps a car analogy might help here?

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

It's not, because soda and slightly different food than you like to eat aren't literal poison.

i dunno sugar has a pretty good killstreak going

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

fishmech posted:

They are.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

self unaware posted:

i dunno sugar has a pretty good killstreak going

Oxygen has 100% mortality too.

They really aren't, you orthorexic loon. So sorry that people are eating food slightly different than your favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

fishmech posted:

Oxygen has 100% mortality too.

They really aren't, you orthorexic loon. So sorry that people are eating food slightly different than your favorite.

They really are identical.