Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

RBA Starblade posted:

It was fun on PS+ but it got old quick

Fall Guys just didn't have enough variety for what it was

yeah, the downtime is too much but it's still a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Anonymous Robot posted:

Majima is just the joker.

oh I get it

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Anno posted:

This game itself isn’t at all for me but this is one of the better video game trailers I’ve seen in awhile.

https://twitter.com/multiversus/status/1526185742690664449

I'll wait for Clockwork Orange dlc.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I'm pretty sure Kiryu never learns what sex is.

Oh and you have? Get real.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kennel posted:

I'll wait for Clockwork Orange dlc.

Honestly, Super Smash Kubrick Brothers would be incredible

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s funny when Majima is a fairly round character that’s recognizably human in 0, but it’s supposed to be an origin story of how he became “the demon,” so at the end they just dunk him in an Ace Chemicals vat and he comes out in a snakeskin jacket.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah honestly I don't know how Majima became a fan favorite character in the first place because he isn't really that interesting in the first game. Obviously they leaned more into making him a mascot as the series went on, but even with that he's way more interesting in 0 than he ever was in the original or sequels, where he's honestly kind of a jobber.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Yeah honestly I don't know how Majima became a fan favorite character in the first place because he isn't really that interesting in the first game. Obviously they leaned more into making him a mascot as the series went on, but even with that he's way more interesting in 0 than he ever was in the original or sequels, where he's honestly kind of a jobber.

Y1 he is absolutely a deranged lunatic, including ramming a massive trash truck into a building at full speed while screaming "KIRYU-CHAAAAAN!"

In a game that is wall to wall severe looking men glaring at each other with barely a hint of emotion on their faces he easily holds the spot as the most interesting thing going on. But regardless, Yakuza 0 is literally one of the best games you can play for a lot of reasons, and Majima is a huge part of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfEnIFV2-mc

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s funny when Majima is a fairly round character that’s recognizably human in 0, but it’s supposed to be an origin story of how he became “the demon,” so at the end they just dunk him in an Ace Chemicals vat and he comes out in a snakeskin jacket.

Yakuza Zero was my first (and only, besides Like A Dragon) Yakuza game and Majima's "transformation" at the end made no loving sense what so ever. There was no setup at all, besides vague connection to how Nishitani acted, but even then it doesn't make any sense why Majima would change his whole character to copy a guy he barely interacted with. Majima's sudden obsession with Kiryu made no sense either because they barely interact before then.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The entire point of Majima's change is that he radically reinvents himself because everything about his life before that point went to several spectacular kinds of poo poo and it also served the purpose of loving with and intimidating his enemies, not sure what more setup you need given he pretty much spells it out at one point.

He bonds with Kiryu over their shared taste in clothing obviously.

(iirc Kiryu is described to Majima a few times throughout 0 which always has him going "drat that guy sounds badass" and it's also established that Majima is really good at spotting dangerous people, so when he goes full mad dog he latches onto Kiryu as somebody that can give him a good fight yadda yadda yakuza stuff. It's the basis of their relationship in Yak1 as well.)

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 16, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Majima was a boss in Elden Ring

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I wish Majima was a boss in Elden Ring

Mordja posted:

So has there been any news whatsoever on what's going on with Xenonauts 2? I played that GOG demo but that was years ago now.

The dev posts monthly status updates on their site, it's still going. They did some graphical overhaul that slowed things down a few months ago.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So has there been any news whatsoever on what's going on with Xenonauts 2? I played that GOG demo but that was years ago now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Psycho Landlord posted:

I wish Majima was a boss in Elden Ring

Majima everywhere system

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrN4eOIwCLk

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Jack Trades posted:

Yakuza Zero was my first (and only, besides Like A Dragon) Yakuza game and Majima's "transformation" at the end made no loving sense what so ever. There was no setup at all, besides vague connection to how Nishitani acted, but even then it doesn't make any sense why Majima would change his whole character to copy a guy he barely interacted with. Majima's sudden obsession with Kiryu made no sense either because they barely interact before then.
There is a through connection in how Majima is treated through the series. It's not just Yakuza 0 but also in the backstory of Yakuza 4. It's hasn't been a very consistent arc, as things have changed from game to game, but they started creating a more complex Majima throughout the series. As just some low-level Yakuza, he is used as a pawn, maimed, and betrayed by those above him who can use what is important to Majima to manipulate him. As the Mad Dog, he has hidden those weaknesses with an outrageous persona that doesn't care about anything but fighting. He's also abandoned all concept of Yakuza loyalty and joined an untrustworthy family that doesn't care. But that frees him to be a wildcard and to fully indulge his whims.

It also falls back on some Japanese character tropes, so familiarity with those probably helps.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

Fall Guys numbers really fell off pretty quick, it's obvious Epic is hoping for a repeat of Rocket League but I wonder if they may have bought a lemon.

Its amazing how little content they were able to pump out. There was so much potential and they really did very little with it afterward.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
fall guys just benefited from being a hangout vibes game during a plague. none of those little pillow man comedy action simulators have any longevity - the entire point of them is that they're bigger versions of the better mario party minigames. Once you've played enough the shine comes off the apple quick

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

eonwe posted:

Its amazing how little content they were able to pump out. There was so much potential and they really did very little with it afterward.

When Fall Guys first came out I was convinced that they'd be able to pump out new maps every week and new or modified game modes every month.

Instead we got Rick and Morty hats

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I remember talking to my friends about Fall Guys when it came out and was the big new thing, and a friend wondered if they'd keep the momentum up, and I thought that they probably could as long as they kept putting out new gameplay content like maps and modes to keep it from getting stale.

Well, they didn't.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kanos posted:

I remember talking to my friends about Fall Guys when it came out and was the big new thing, and a friend wondered if they'd keep the momentum up, and I thought that they probably could as long as they kept putting out new gameplay content like maps and modes to keep it from getting stale.

Well, they didn't.

I can't remember the order, but Among Us and Fall Guys basically traded places between complete unknown and then biggest thing ever, one displacing the other as the biggest thing in gaming, and like a year later Among Us has literally permeated the lexicon and Fall Guys is almost an afterthought.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Anno posted:

This game itself isn’t at all for me but this is one of the better video game trailers I’ve seen in awhile.

https://twitter.com/multiversus/status/1526185742690664449
Y'all are talking about Meme Shaggy, I'm just happy they made the Objectively Correct Decision to have Kevin Conroy voice Batman. Don't care much about Warner Smash Bros., but I needed to know if that was true.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Y'all are talking about Meme Shaggy, I'm just happy they made the Objectively Correct Decision to have Kevin Conroy voice Batman. Don't care much about Warner Smash Bros., but I needed to know if that was true.

Just you wait till he gets curb stomped by a kid with a gem in his stomach or a kid with a green watch.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone ITT checked out Riftbound? Clearly Plants vs Zombies inspired, could be fun to play casually? Somehow it wound up on my Wishlist, just came out a few days ago.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Speaking of PvZ, I see Garden Warfare 2 made it to Steam. Is it any good? I'm looking for an Overwatch replacement for casual pvp shooting.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Is that the one with the titanfall zombie or whatever cause I want to play it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My niece is five and Plants vs Zombies is her favourite media property. For her last birthday my sister printed out pictures of the different plants and zombies and put them up all over the living room and I thought the little one would implode with sheer joy. She has a plush toy of the peashooter she takes everywhere.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sloppy posted:

Speaking of PvZ, I see Garden Warfare 2 made it to Steam. Is it any good? I'm looking for an Overwatch replacement for casual pvp shooting.

Amazon gave away PvZ Battle for Neighborville for free on prime gaming a bit ago, and even after the presumable population boost from the giveaway I booted it up and queued into the main gamemode and 50% of the lobby was bots instead of real players.

Garden Warfare 2 is 3 years older so I doubt it'll be much better, unless BfN was just a really awful sequel and everyone stuck with the previous games.

edit: apparently it is a lot more popular.
GW2 currently has 2,088 concurrent players on steam while BfN has just 202 (with an all-time peak of ~2.3k)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 17, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I played the 1st one and it was super fun fwiw.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Kiryu, unlike Majima, has never killed a man.

I have a whole album of screenshots where Kiryu Never Kills Anybody

Kiryu Never Kills Anybody

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 17, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have a whole album of screenshots where Kiryu Never Kills Anybody

The Pissing Minigame is an S-tier difficulty minigame, that's for sure.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just to push back at the Kiryu slander from earlier a bit, a big part of what makes Kiryu funny is that he's a straight man in the comedic sense. So he heightens the funniness of the weird poo poo happening around him because he's going "nani?"

Also he's just a really good man even if he constantly makes stupid decisions like joining the yakuza.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Warner Bros making a Warner Bros Smash Bros is just kind of sad because like, the other Big IP Smash Bros games (Smash Bros and then the Nickelodeon one) are "Look at all of these beloved characters we've created or worked with over the years!" and then the Warner Bros one is "Look at all these cool characters we bought the rights to :pwn:"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Smash has some of those too, like bayonetta

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somebody once posted that Kiryu is a man who gives ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY PERCENT to everything he sets his mind to and I cannot shake the idea, it is too perfect a description of that wholesome, stupid, handsome, stupid man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_GO50AAjE

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hot? take: ichiban's better

(e) don't get me wrong, kiryu's a good boy

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
It's true, Kiryu is an inspiration.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
There's a new vampire-themed early access survival game out today:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604030/V_Rising/

I generally completely ignore survival games but this one looks pretty drat good and I'm quite excited for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J3X3r2jDwA

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bardeh posted:

There's a new vampire-themed early access survival game out today:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604030/V_Rising/

I generally completely ignore survival games but this one looks pretty drat good and I'm quite excited for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J3X3r2jDwA

This game looks cool. But what's the other game that a brief clip is shown of at around 10:51?

e: Lmao, I've never really looked at Survival games much but I am looking through them now and there is an asymmetric multiplayer pvp game about a bunch of crypid dorks hunting Bigfoot:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/509980/BIGFOOT/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256845607/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628259833
'
e2: Bigfoot is made by a Ukrainian dev team who had to pause development and evacuate Kyiv but they are now safe in Bulgaria and back at work on the game :allears:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: Lmao, I've never really looked at Survival games much but I am looking through them now and there is an asymmetric multiplayer pvp game about a bunch of crypid dorks hunting Bigfoot:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/509980/BIGFOOT/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256845607/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628259833
'
e2: Bigfoot is made by a Ukrainian dev team who had to pause development and evacuate Kyiv but they are now safe in Bulgaria and back at work on the game :allears:

sorry, game's trash