Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Have Zora pull a Peanut Hamper and go "nah, I'm not getting myself killed for this, later!" and loving off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Need a scene of Zora going "gently caress this" and ejecting Ol' Octopus Head out an airlock

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Have Zora pull a Peanut Hamper and go "nah, I'm not getting myself killed for this, later!" and loving off.

Did Zora sign up for starfleet? When you sign up like Peanut Hamper did you contractually and knowingly sign away some rights, but Zora you could probably argue has the legal right to gently caress off, and discovery is her body. It'd make an interesting court case.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

MikeJF posted:

Did Zora sign up for starfleet? When you sign up like Peanut Hamper did you contractually and knowingly sign away some rights, but Zora you could probably argue has the legal right to gently caress off, and discovery is her body. It'd make an interesting court case.

It's a good thing Discovery is ending because I don't think I want to see their take on A Measure of a Man.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The courtroom erupts in gunfire.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Need a scene of Zora going "gently caress this" and jumping out of there the second the Breen show up.

It hasn't come up in a while but one weakness of the spore drive is that it requires either Stametz or an empath to jump. Zora can't do it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MikeJF posted:

I don't recall if they commissioned her but when they realized she was sentient they had conversations with her about what she wanted to do and she expressed a desire to remain a part of the ship and assist the crew. Stametz tried to have a conversation in secret about it and Kovich cut him off and told him the importance of any discussions about Zora being open and transparent to her.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well we’re finally getting at least one future Klingon

https://trekmovie.com/2024/05/13/preview-star-trek-discovery-episode-508-with-new-images-and-clip-from-labyrinths/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nicki Minaj is a terrible person, but I approve of her Klingon counterpart.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Brb working on my Disco spinoff about reuniting the Klingon Empire called The Once and Future Klingon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This looks like a Fallout 4 screenshot

code:
[Speach] "We will never give you the device"
[Intimidation] "My ship runs on mushrooms, you bastards!"
[Burnham] Sobs uncontrollably

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Zora, do you enjoy being our ship?

Whenever you touch a phased plasma manifold, you're touching me

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We started with old-nu Klingons, we shall end with nu-nu Klingons.

Honestly if they don't have Burnham mention Alice in Wonderland on the final episode, I'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure it only came up once, and I think it was just one of a million errant producer ideas that got into the strew and dropped later... But I'm still waiting for it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That Klingon looks like an Efrosian.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This looks like a Fallout 4 screenshot

code:
[Speach] "We will never give you the device"
[Intimidation] "My ship runs on mushrooms, you bastards!"
[Burnham] Sobs uncontrollably

The article says the name of this actor is Dorian Grey. Is that a real actor? Or one of those fake names they use for a character that is supposed to be a surprise. Because I find it hard to believe someone named their kid Dorian Grey

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

Honestly if they don't have Burnham mention Alice in Wonderland on the final episode, I'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure it only came up once, and I think it was just one of a million errant producer ideas that got into the strew and dropped later... But I'm still waiting for it.

This is the power of looking glasses, people. I f%cking love tea parties.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the start of Star Trek: Discovery with my mom yesterday because she asked "What do you want to watch?" and I said "We could watch Star Trek" because she'd mentioned it when the cast of Discovery was being interviewed on The View. She wanted to watch the series in prequel order, but I honestly forgot about Star Trek: Enterprise. I kept asking after the first episode if she wanted to watch anything different, but we ended up watching the first five episodes. She kept asking if anyone was going to agree with Michael that they should have fired on the Klingon ship before more Klingons showed up, and how does she get off the ship. She likes spoilers while watching things and has a story about how she kept asking a friend for spoilers all through the movie Polyanna (1960) when it was in theaters when she was seven. So I said that she gets out of going to prison because the captain of the Discovery hires her as a member of the crew.

I always thought it was weird that the series seems to want us to agree with Michael about a pre-emptive strike, presenting a situation where a pre-emptive strike would have been the Vulcan-endorsed logical way to resolve the situation. There is no real-world conflict where "they escalated the conflict because we wouldn't escalate and they saw it as weakness" rather than "they escalated because we escalated" is true. What's right and what's logical aren't always the same, and doing what's right sometimes comes with a price, but it felt like what happened was that the writers of the first episode support pre-emptive strikes and the writers of subsequent episodes oppose them.

Then she asked if the tardigrade creature eats Captain Lorca, because that usually happens in movies when an animal is being tortured, and she doesn't like seeing animals tortured. I spoiled that he's secretly evil and from the mirror dimension with the Spock that had the goatee, and they stop having to torture the tardigrade to jump because they splice its genes into the science officer, and she said "Thank you"

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 13, 2024

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The article says the name of this actor is Dorian Grey. Is that a real actor? Or one of those fake names they use for a character that is supposed to be a surprise. Because I find it hard to believe someone named their kid Dorian Grey

Real actor, not a surprise character

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

That Klingon looks like an Efrosian.

Yeah could be. People are assuming she's klingon, I think.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

MikeJF posted:

From memory it's not clarified in the episode

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MikeJF posted:

Its really weird seeing Kurtwood Smith playing a character who's not pissed off all the time.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

galenanorth posted:

I watched the start of Star Trek: Discovery with my mom yesterday because she asked "What do you want to watch?" and I said "We could watch Star Trek" because she'd mentioned it when the cast of Discovery was being interviewed on The View. She wanted to watch the series in prequel order, but I honestly forgot about Star Trek: Enterprise. I kept asking after the first episode if she wanted to watch anything different, but we ended up watching the first five episodes. She kept asking if anyone was going to agree with Michael that they should have fired on the Klingon ship before more Klingons showed up, and how does she get off the ship. She likes spoilers while watching things and has a story about how she kept asking a friend for spoilers all through the movie Polyanna (1960) when it was in theaters when she was seven. So I said that she gets out of going to prison because the captain of the Discovery hires her as a member of the crew.

I always thought it was weird that the series seems to want us to agree with Michael about a pre-emptive strike, presenting a situation where a pre-emptive strike would have been the Vulcan-endorsed logical way to resolve the situation. There is no real-world conflict where "they escalated the conflict because we wouldn't escalate and they saw it as weakness" rather than "they escalated because we escalated" is true. What's right and what's logical aren't always the same, and doing what's right sometimes comes with a price, but it felt like what happened was that the writers of the first episode support pre-emptive strikes and the writers of subsequent episodes oppose them.

Then she asked if the tardigrade creature eats Captain Lorca, because that usually happens in movies when an animal is being tortured, and she doesn't like seeing animals tortured. I spoiled that he's secretly evil and from the mirror dimension with the Spock that had the goatee, and they stop having to torture the tardigrade to jump because they splice its genes into the science officer, and she said "Thank you"

The morality of the first storyline is so hosed up. The narrative is clearly on the side of mutiny and escalation without justification being the right thing to have done. But they don't really explain it. They treat it as a given because it's what the point of view character thinks. I was so confused during it because I was assuming at some point Michael would be shown to be wrong.

But then that didn't happen and she teams up with her straight and narrow captain that she just mutinied against and commits a war crime by desecrating the bodies of their enemies.

Then the story line eventually gets resolved by subjugating the Klingons with the threat of genocide in a reverse Undiscovered Country as they give speeches about federation values.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

This isn't The Next Generation XXX!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Its really weird seeing Kurtwood Smith playing a character who's not pissed off all the time.

Did we watch the same version of Star Trek VI? :confused:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

MikeJF posted:

in our culture, hair metal came before boy bands

not so in the Klingon empire

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

nine-gear crow posted:

Did we watch the same version of Star Trek VI? :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
https://twitter.com/ansonmount/status/1789445287376757236

gently caress this guy and gently caress strange new worlds i guess

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Oof

This subject is so fraught I'm not personally cancelling anyone for one tweet but I don't love it

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

To be clear I do think it's most likely a future Klingon, I was just making an observation. The head ridges look more Klingon than Efrosian. I'm not sure what's going on with the eyebrows hair patches, but the whole look is much better than their previous attempts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's a Klingosian.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rubber Chicken posted:

Oof

This subject is so fraught I'm not personally cancelling anyone for one tweet but I don't love it

I am personally doing it. Anson Mount is cancelled.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am personally doing it. Anson Mount is cancelled.

yeah gently caress him. he should have kept his mouth shut.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 13, 2024

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rubber Chicken posted:

Oof

Its not fraught at all.

gently caress Anson Mount.

Also its not just that tweet he's being a condescending gently caress in a bunch more.

https://x.com/Eve_Barlow/status/1789779030184472970

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 13, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

The armor is what is giving me the most Klingon vibes

She could be multiple species, like how the UFP President is part Human, Bajoran, and Cardassian

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

900 years of horny leads to some weird hybrids.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

after a millennia of effectively unlimited instantaneous travel and a relatively cosmopolitan egalitarian society set amongst a much larger civilization of different species interacting you’d think that human phenotypical variances would be a lot smoother than they are in Discovery

like everyone should be 1/64th everything by this point, unless there was some sort of deliberate ethnostate or eugenics involvement

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

To paraphrase J Billingtion Bullworth, "everybody gotta keep fuckin' everybody until we all have the same bumps on our foreheads"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

corona familiar posted:

after a millennia of effectively unlimited instantaneous travel and a relatively cosmopolitan egalitarian society set amongst a much larger civilization of different species interacting you’d think that human phenotypical variances would be a lot smoother than they are in Discovery

like everyone should be 1/64th everything by this point, unless there was some sort of deliberate ethnostate or eugenics involvement

You could say the same thing for our planet, but people tend to stick with the culture they are comfortable with.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Admiral Bosch posted:

https://twitter.com/ansonmount/status/1789445287376757236

gently caress this guy and gently caress strange new worlds i guess

oh no

this loving sucks. I know Pike isn't Anson, but it still makes me sad.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Nichael posted:

oh no

this loving sucks. I know Pike isn't Anson, but it still makes me sad.

:same:

i guess it’s too lofty an expectation to hold trek actors to the same values their characters portray

Cojawfee posted:

You could say the same thing for our planet, but people tend to stick with the culture they are comfortable with.

idk i feel like transporters and translators would really change the dynamic. if it was as easy to go to Shanghai or Mombasa and talk to people there as it were to go to your neighborhood bar i feel like cultural intermixing would be a lot more common and organic than it is now

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 14, 2024