Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Haujobb's latest music video restores what appears to be a Chevrolet Caprice wagon, with plenty of rapid-fire exploded vacuum-hose diagrams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUOeibCly70

Was that music or an industrial accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Both.

Regardless of the artistic content, that's a mean wagon.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This is mean. Even lovely cars don't deserve this.

http://youtu.be/zadq9usA2SQ

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 5, 2011

mykel
Aug 27, 2006

Let it bleep.

Shaocaholica posted:

This is mean. Even lovely cars don't deserve this.

http://youtu.be/zadq9usA2SQ

They were put out of their misery.

Content: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVkY8oA3RlE

A screaming BMW M1. Pure engine sounds (tm).

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0TONBwqc7E

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK1uw2NgKuQ&feature=share

Never mind the awesome visuals, turn it up

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
That was amazing codriving. Simply superb. Like he was another hemisphere of the driver's brain. And that course.... gently caress ME, that was horrifying. I don't even see how the dude can see the clipboard.

Do you guys know the story of the world's first pace notes?

In 1955, Stirling Moss was given a Mercedes 300SLR with which to compete in the Mille Miglia - a 1,000 mi (1614 km) circular course around Italy that started and ended in Brescia, Italy. As co-driver and navigator was Denis Jenkinson, who was a motor racing journalist and had a history in motorcycle racing. He was also 5 feet tall, so added little weight or aerodynamic drag to the open-topped 300SLR.

The whole race took place in Italy of course, and was a little bit of a self-congratulatory affair; Italians in Alfa Romeos, Maseratis and Bugattis beating everyone else on their own home soil. So a Mercedes reserve driver - John Fitch - who was originally scheduled to use Jenkinson as his co-driver, came up with the idea that the only way to beat the Italians was to introduce a sort of scientific approach. The idea was to note every bend on the course and give the driver a heads up about the speed they should negotiate a blind corner. But then when Moss joined the team for the race, Jenkinson asked Fitch if he could still use the idea with his new assigned driver, and the go-ahead was given.

During the actual race, they were going around 160 mph through the Italian countryside in an open top car, so they had to use hand signals to communicate. The problem was that none of this had ever been tried before, and all sorts of crests and corners that were predictable at normal speeds made the car behave wildly at the 170+ m/hr speeds they achieved. Thus they went off 3 times, but were incredibly lucky. Once, Moss blacked out from G-forces. Another time he went wide and collided with some baled hay. And one time, one of the brakes locked up (as we know the 300SLR had huge drum brakes that were contemporary at the time as opposed to the relatively new fangled disc brakes), and they spun across a small driveway, miraculously avoiding the ditch it spanned that continued for some distance in either direction. The last 300 miles they had to drive with no front brake pads.

Moss and Jenkinson won a victory with a time of 10 hrs, 7 mins. and 48 seconds. The average speed was 97.95 mph (157.63 km/hr) Moss became one of only 2 non-Italians ever to win the Mille Miglia, both in Mercedes.

The race was only ever run two more times. And we all know the tragedy that that exact car, the Mercedes 300SLR, was to be a part of at Le Mans later that very year.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

Cat Terrist posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK1uw2NgKuQ&feature=share

Never mind the awesome visuals, turn it up

I would do so much better at driving games if I had someone scream :supaburn:CHICANE!!!:supaburn: in my ear like that guy can.

eames
May 9, 2009

Dutch people are doing a braking test in a show that's looking for the worst driver of NL. Welp.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=75b_1309958206

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

eames posted:

Dutch people are doing a braking test in a show that's looking for the worst driver of NL. Welp.

Translation of the conversation in the car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

eames posted:

It's actually a shoulder check test - they have the same one on Canada's Worst Driver.

You're driving down the central lane at 50-80kph (changes depending on season), then you have to quickly shoulder check both of the signs (see how one has an X and the other one is a big circle?) then lane change into the lane indicated by the "clear" sign. Sometimes both of them are "bad" in which case you just have to stop in time.

Most people lock 'em up and understeer into the wall of boxes, or if they do manage to lane change, fail because they weren't going the proper speed. One entrant in a previous year crashed at ~40kph.

This is the episode that features it from the last season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pEFF0GxpVk

The reason the brand new Camaro in this episode looks demolished is because the first episode consisted of:

quote:

a reversing course with one foot of space on either side, followed by a 50 km/h slalom before stopping in front of a wall.
Season five demolished a very clean Silver Shadow II in the same way.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 6, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Canada's worst driver

"What does that mean?"
"It's a red light."
"Oh" *JAMS BRAKES*

:suspense:

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
How can there be a woman named Dale?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Scientist posted:

Welcome to Canada, eh!

I've been watching through season 6, some it is borderline painful to watch.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.
I love the ones with Dean and his buddy Brian. They have the best reactions to everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pEFF0GxpVk&t=21m20s

teh jhey fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 6, 2011

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

KozmoNaut posted:

Welcome to Canada, eh!

I've been watching through season 6, some it is borderline painful to watch.

Ever seen Canada's Worst Handyman? gently caress my life there's some incompetent fools out there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrZig posted:

Ever seen Canada's Worst Handyman? gently caress my life there's some incompetent fools out there.

I've seen the Red Green Show. Close enough, eh? ;)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

MrZig posted:

Oh Ajay...

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
When are they going to do Canada's Worst Mechanic? I'd love to see the emergency safety meetings when idiots crawl under elevated 1.5 ton death hazards.

Tex was always my favorite. They fixed his ineptitude but not the red on his neck.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

The Scientist posted:

Is it Dale or Dell?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

angryhampster posted:

Is it Dale or Dell?

I've seen a Dayl for a girl's name.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I just watched that whole season of Canada's Worst driver for some reason beyond my comprehension. The conclusion was total BS, they chose the guy who decided on his own to pull over and stop, rather than the old lady who broke dozens of laws in one small trip, and was completely oblivious to what she was doing. She is by far the greater danger.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

teh jhey posted:

I love the ones with Dean and his buddy Brian. They have the best reactions to everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pEFF0GxpVk&t=21m20s

Watching this is blowing my mind, not because of the bad drivers but because im 99% sure this was made in the 90s but then out of nowhere theres a brand new camaro and rx8. This is seriously loving with my head. The corny set production, the video quality, the clothing all of it points to mid 90s... then they show a green camaro and my mind has to do a double take.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 7, 2011

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

mutt2jeff posted:

I just watched that whole season of Canada's Worst driver for some reason beyond my comprehension. The conclusion was total BS, they chose the guy who decided on his own to pull over and stop, rather than the old lady who broke dozens of laws in one small trip, and was completely oblivious to what she was doing. She is by far the greater danger.

The worst driver in that season got kicked off the show anyway. I do agree though, Dale should have taken the title. She just doesn't understand she has no business being anywhere near a car.

I felt sorry for the dude with the wife. She was just straight up abusive.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Canada's Worst Driver.

I'll usually watch that show especially now that Philippe Létourneau is in the cast -- I've had advanced driving instruction (track, ice) from the guy, and it's always neat to see someone you know on TV -- but I'm often frightened to think that the contestants are driving on the same roads as I am in everyday life when some of them clearly should not have licenses. It's even worse when you consider that there may be worse drivers still on the road.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crustashio posted:

The worst driver in that season got kicked off the show anyway. I do agree though, Dale should have taken the title. She just doesn't understand she has no business being anywhere near a car.

I felt sorry for the dude with the wife. She was just straight up abusive.

Yeah, that Scott dude was a major-league douchebag. I hope no one ever lets him behind a wheel again.

I agree that Dale should have "won". She is just completely oblivious to the law, common sense and the safety of other people. I cannot fathom how someone can be THAT bad at driving or even basic comprehension.

As for Lawrence, he actually looked like he was improving a lot. Bad driver, yes. Worst driver? Not even close.

I wanted to reach through my monitor and bitchslap Brad's wife multiple times. What a thundercunt.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

coolskillrex remix posted:

Watching this is blowing my mind, not because of the bad drivers but because im 99% sure this was made in the 90s but then out of nowhere theres a brand new camaro and rx8. This is seriously loving with my head. The corny set production, the video quality, the clothing all of it points to mid 90s... then they show a green camaro and my mind has to do a double take.

It's a Canadian production.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
:golfclap:

That's actually a fake show with actors pretending not to be able to drive for poo poo, right? I mean, how can somebody who's driven for more than a day not know the S-turn? Or the guy who couldn't make a lane change without skidding into a parked car. But then... they wouldn't have an actor run over some crew members... so it's probably real, isn't it? :gonk:

Lance just seem to have a psychological problem, although that's really a pretty common issue with the contenders. Including Brad's land-whale's who's completely terrible though, and anyone driving her around would go nuts in short order. Scott is a douche, but besides the drinking and driving a bit too fast I thought he was fairly competent compared to most of the others. Dale is just terrifying, I have no idea how anyone can willingly stay in her car for any length of time. She's by far the worst of the bunch.

Check out the previous season, it has a guy named Mike Butt. It's also pretty interesting that they have some of the same type of terrible drivers: the abusive pair, the slow one, the careless distracted bitch, the immigrant, etc. On the down side, they beat the poo poo out of some cool cars like the Silver Shadow, G-Wagen or the CL coupe, it's just so much more fun when it's an ugly green automatic Camero.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
:golfclap:

That's actually a fake show with actors pretending not to be able to drive for poo poo, right? I mean, how can somebody who's driven for more than a day not know the S-turn? Or the guy who couldn't make a lane change without skidding into a parked car. But then... they wouldn't have an actor run over some crew members... so it's probably real, isn't it? :gonk:

Lance just seem to have a psychological problem, although that's really a pretty common issue with the contenders. Including Brad's land-whale's who's completely terrible though, and anyone driving her around would go nuts in short order. Scott is a douche, but besides the drinking and driving a bit too fast I thought he was fairly competent compared to most of the others. Dale is just terrifying, I have no idea how anyone can willingly stay in her car for any length of time. She's by far the worst of the bunch.

Check out the previous season, it has a guy named Mike Butt. It's also pretty interesting that they have some of the same type of terrible drivers: the abusive pair, the slow one, the careless distracted bitch, the immigrant, etc. On the down side, they beat the poo poo out of some cool cars like the Silver Shadow, G-Wagen or the CL coupe, it's just so much more fun when it's an ugly green automatic Camero.

It's real and awesome.

All the Canada's Worst whatever shows seem to be (I watch them on TV since I'm all :canada: and poo poo)

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
This is worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ex6dHzcgOE

Couple of guys, I presume, testing out a dash cam.... catch an awful driver, hit and run, and chase her.

Edit: 2 year suspended, 200 hours community service, 2 year ban and had to pay the victim £500 compensation. Sigh.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That is outright pathetic: 500 pounds for clipping somebody at a decent speed? What the hell.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Dashcams for everyone!

I wish there was an easy way to make a cheap digital cam just endlessly loop on say a 32 gig SD card.

vvvvvvvvvvvv: The loop function is what I'm looking for. As in it comes on when the car is on, and doesn't need any attention. When something happens, pull the card and download it. If nothing happens? Card doesn't "fill up" just overwrites the oldest stuff.

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 8, 2011

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
What about a GoPro?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sponge! posted:

Dashcams for everyone!

I wish there was an easy way to make a cheap digital cam just endlessly loop on say a 32 gig SD card.

vvvvvvvvvvvv: The loop function is what I'm looking for. As in it comes on when the car is on, and doesn't need any attention. When something happens, pull the card and download it. If nothing happens? Card doesn't "fill up" just overwrites the oldest stuff.

I think there's a particular keychain cam model that does exactly that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phone posted:

That is outright pathetic: 500 pounds for clipping somebody at a decent speed? What the hell.

Well, plus the suspended sentence, community service and 2-year ban on driving, after which she'll have to take (and pay in full) her driver's license all over again, that's another £800-£1500.

I agree, though. The 2 year sentence shouldn't have been a suspended sentence and the fine should have been £5000 instead of £500, plus a decent amount paid to the victim. She's clearly a menace to other people.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, plus the suspended sentence, community service and 2-year ban on driving, after which she'll have to take (and pay in full) her driver's license all over again, that's another £800-£1500.

I agree, though. The 2 year sentence shouldn't have been a suspended sentence and the fine should have been £5000 instead of £500, plus a decent amount paid to the victim. She's clearly a menace to other people.

Ultimately I think the sentencing is fair. Actual jail-time for a driving offense makes zero sense to me unless it's a repeat offense during a probationary period--this woman is clearly just an irresponsible idiot, she's no threat to society unless she's driving a car. As for the fine, I'd assume the guy was well taken care of by insurance (dunno how that works in the UK) and it was purely punitive in addition to the community service, so that works for me (assume $10/hr* for the community service and it's $2500* total).

* - Like hell I'm using your foppish "pound" symbol.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I think there's a particular keychain cam model that does exactly that.

I'd be interested to know what that is. I'd love to have something like that, my car seems to be a magnet for fuckwit drivers in front of me.

Yes there is a fixed speed camera and its a 60kmh zone. No you don't have to slow down to 30km an hour just to be sure you don't get caught, driving through it at 60 is perfectly fine.

EVERY.

loving.

DAY.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KozmoNaut posted:

I agree that Dale should have "won". She is just completely oblivious to the law, common sense and the safety of other people. I cannot fathom how someone can be THAT bad at driving or even basic comprehension.

Dear loving god, in episode 5 during the donut challenge she repeatedly hit the wall and the center obstacle, she kept looking at the wrong things and hitting them.

And on the way out of the ring she aimed the car at the presenter, hit the gas and cackled "I'm gonna getcha!" :gonk:

How is this woman not in a mental institution?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Puddin posted:

I'd be interested to know what that is. I'd love to have something like that, my car seems to be a magnet for fuckwit drivers in front of me.

I believe it's this one: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/4/16/the-smallest-720p-camcorder-in-the-world.html but go through that guy's reviews anyway, he's covered most of them at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://www.vimeo.com/25909960

During the recent violent rains in Copenhagen, some woman takes a hint from Oregon Trail and decides to FORD IT!

Looks to me like she wasn't wearing any pants either :confused: