Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Helmacron posted:

I'm back. Been drinking heavily for weeks. Hellacious beard. I hit a kangaroo so hard with my car it landed on the hood, blinked three times, closed it's eyes, and died. I can't hear out of my left ear because I ate a wheel of blue cheese. My fridge is full of Vodka and Guarana mixer cans. Also I quit my job, I'm leaving in February for THE WORLD. I'm going to hit Jakarta, through Indonesia/Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand, I'll see if I can get through Burma without getting pulled up and shot to death in a battered hiace van 30km from Hsipaw/India/Nepal/Tibet/China/Mongolia/Russia and then motherfuckin' down to Cape Town. I worked in this mine for a year without doing anything remotely fun and ended up with such a ridiculous amount of money, I gently rub my bank statements on my unemployed friend's cheap possessions.

Here's my D3s:

It got hit by a car. It's still painful. I couldn't find the broken poo poo thread so I threw it in here. I think I'll buy the D800 if it really is going to have 36mp. That'll be neat to gently caress around with.

The dos equis man has nothing on Helmacron.

That sounds like an awesome trip. If you do a travel log book in the same style as your posts I will buy it no questions asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Helmacron posted:

I'm back. Been drinking heavily for weeks. Hellacious beard. I hit a kangaroo so hard with my car it landed on the hood, blinked three times, closed it's eyes, and died. I can't hear out of my left ear because I ate a wheel of blue cheese. My fridge is full of Vodka and Guarana mixer cans. Also I quit my job, I'm leaving in February for THE WORLD. I'm going to hit Jakarta, through Indonesia/Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand, I'll see if I can get through Burma without getting pulled up and shot to death in a battered hiace van 30km from Hsipaw/India/Nepal/Tibet/China/Mongolia/Russia and then motherfuckin' down to Cape Town. I worked in this mine for a year without doing anything remotely fun and ended up with such a ridiculous amount of money, I gently rub my bank statements on my unemployed friend's cheap possessions.

I am going to study you, so that I may become you.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You should have that camera cast in bronze.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
This is basically the only subforum I check on SA these days, but I was bored and took a gander at the Creative Convention today. I saw a stickied thread there that made me slightly ashamed of my need for a new lens, and I thought maybe I'm not the only one who missed this charity drive for a school in Haiti.

Donate to some poor kids!

Looks like the 85 1.8 will have to wait a few weeks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anyone familiar with photography classes around Chicago?

I went to school here for graphic design (Illinois Institute of Art) and my office keeps telling the designers to pursue further education in things that would be beneficial to our careers on the house. Being the only person on staff that knows their way around a camera has deemed me the resident photographer but I would like to refine my skills a bit if at all possible. I was trying to look into something along the lines of studio photography and portraiture since thats what we end up shooting the most.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Unless you need a piece of paper stating that you took a course, I could help you out sometime if you'd like... feel free to PM for contact info.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use Fast Stone Max View to review photos on PC, is there anything similar on Android? The closest I can find is Large image Viewer.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

CarrotFlowers posted:

This is basically the only subforum I check on SA these days, but I was bored and took a gander at the Creative Convention today. I saw a stickied thread there that made me slightly ashamed of my need for a new lens, and I thought maybe I'm not the only one who missed this charity drive for a school in Haiti.

Donate to some poor kids!

Looks like the 85 1.8 will have to wait a few weeks.

Done. Thanks for the link.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Helmacron posted:

Here's my D3s:

It got hit by a car. It's still painful. I couldn't find the broken poo poo thread so I threw it in here. I think I'll buy the D800 if it really is going to have 36mp. That'll be neat to gently caress around with.

Far out, you're lucky that roo didn't come through the windscreen, you could've suffered some pretty severe injures/died.

ie. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-410876/Driver-fatal-collision-kangaroo.html

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love a well made time lapse and this one has some great moments. It is from a guy in New York.

http://gizmodo.com/5870278/this-wonderful-time-lapse-walk-captures-new-yorks-holiday-feeling-perfectly

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Verman posted:

Anyone familiar with photography classes around Chicago?

I went to school here for graphic design (Illinois Institute of Art) and my office keeps telling the designers to pursue further education in things that would be beneficial to our careers on the house. Being the only person on staff that knows their way around a camera has deemed me the resident photographer but I would like to refine my skills a bit if at all possible. I was trying to look into something along the lines of studio photography and portraiture since thats what we end up shooting the most.

I had a better experience taking courses at Grand Rapids Community College than I did once I transferred to Columbia Chicago. Honestly your best bet is to spend the tuition money on equipment and learn as you go. Find photographers who exhibit the level of experience you're looking for and offer to help out and learn from watching them work. In the four years I've been working professionally nobody has cared about my education.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

woot fatigue posted:

I had a better experience taking courses at Grand Rapids Community College than I did once I transferred to Columbia Chicago. Honestly your best bet is to spend the tuition money on equipment and learn as you go. Find photographers who exhibit the level of experience you're looking for and offer to help out and learn from watching them work. In the four years I've been working professionally nobody has cared about my education.

You're from Grand Rapids Michigan? I'm originally from Muskegon. Small world.

Anyway, my agency is paying for all of this as an incentive to learn more skills so nothing would be coming out of my pocket not to mention I would be allowed to leave during the day to attend these courses. I'm not really looking to get a professional degree in photography or anything but I mainly just want to learn more about lighting styles and get a little time with models in a studio on my employers dime. I saw that Calumet holds a 2 day lighting course every so often, the only thing that sucks is that its 9-5 Saturday and Sunday.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
FWIW, Elizabeth Weinberg (a photog I follow) on pursuing a professional career in photography:

quote:

iamawakenow asked:

Do you have any advice for someone who wants to try to pursue a professional career in photography? I'm building my portfolio slowly with a mix of personal and more commercial looking portraits and works and I just don't know how to get started when I'm ready to start trying to contact employers. Thank you so much for your time, whether or not you have time to respond :]
I get this question in my Tumblr inbox all the time, so it’s hard to answer every one of them. But it’s the holidays and in the holiday spirit I’ll do a unified answer that I hope satisfies everyone who has asked me something similar but hasn’t gotten a response yet (sorry! it’s hard!).

- Build a solid body of work before you attempt to contact people who would hire you. It’s a lot harder to convince someone you’ve “improved” than it is to show them a killer portfolio right off the bat. There are some photo editors I showed poo poo to in 2007 that probably still think I suck because I’m pretty sure everything I shot up until that point totally sucked. Live and learn!

- Don’t assist.

- No really, don’t assist.

- Okay, if you really think you have to assist, don’t do it for more than a year.

- Credit cards are your friend if you’re broke. If this works out for you, your camera will pay for itself down the line. When I started out I had 7 credit cards and 5 figures of debt. All of this crap isn’t cheap. A nice portfolio costs $400. And you know how much a camera is. I worked part-time for years and years and years. I have a separate skill (web design) which paid the bills for me until photo took over. Figure out a way to get yourself decent income that will allow you the schedule flexibility to shoot if you need to.

- Learn how to print color in the darkroom before you try loving with digital files. Trust me on this. You need to learn about color. You can rent darkroom space in most cities. Nail your technique with film and learn to print well and then shoot digital and try to figure out why your digital colors look like poo poo, which they will. Then try to fix it. Don’t stop until you figure out how. No one has time for ugly digital anymore.

- Keep up with who is shooting what, so you know who you’re up against and who is out there (Tumblr is great for this, try blogs like Je Suis Perdu and Happy Accident, etc.), but don’t go crazy with jealousy/comparisons. Sometimes it’s best to just take a break from constantly looking at the internet to see what everyone else is up to and work on your own poo poo.

- Ask questions. Your peers are your best resources. A lot of photographers are huge assholes and don’t like to bro down with their “competition,” just a warning. That’s just how it is. Thankfully you can find some good pals on the internets. I have more real-life photo friends from Flickr than any other “social network,” seriously! (Even though I barely use Flickr anymore)

- Mastheads.org is a great resource to find out who photo editors are, but it’s little outdated. You can always just go to the newsstand and check in person, and write everything down. If you can afford it, Agency Access is great for photo editors and art buyers, for the commercial stuff.

- Pay attention to quality in every facet of your public personality. Spell correctly. Use proper grammar. Don’t use lovely fonts on your website. Make sure your site is well-designed and EASILY NAVIGABLE…and isn’t Flash. Make sure your site works on the iPhone/iPad. Don’t send out emails greeting the wrong name (this happens more than you think). Don’t send out promos on cheap crappy paper. Print your portfolio really well. Pretend your portfolio prints are going up in the Whitney.

- Once you think you have a solid book and are ready to meet with people, don’t expect a lot of immediate responses. Don’t badger. Don’t suck up. People are busy and you will be met with a lot of “no’s”. Meet with those who are into it, and try the others again later. Don’t take it personally or you’ll want to give up and go live in the woods where no one but the squirrels can say no to you anymore.

- Don’t put too much stock in all of these inane “future of photography” conversations everyone seems to be having. Do your own thing but do it well. You can only get better. It won’t work out for everyone. It will work out for a small percentage of everyone. But it definitely won’t work without giving it your highest-quality everything.

HAPPY HANUKKAH Y’ALL!

ADDENDUM: People seem to be getting their panties in a bunch because I say don’t assist. I say don’t assist because it’s decent money and there can be some travel involved but it’s very easy to get stuck doing it for years and years without having time to build a career for yourself. Then you are stuck wondering about poaching clients from your boss. And some bosses are huge dicks about thinking their assistants are trying to leverage some upward mobility, like working for them is a means to an end. It just isn’t worth it, personally. I learned a lot about the industry by working in professional photo labs and dealing with agents, clients, and photographers directly, without the weird political bullshit involved with trying to climb out from under your boss’s shadow. If you don’t agree, that’s cool too. ELIZ NAVIDAD!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I hope she's kidding about the credit card thing because you'd probably be way, way better off going to the bank for a line of credit at prime plus whatever versus 18%+ for a credit card.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I don't really have anything to say about her advice directly, but I find it hard to take professional advice from someone who so liberally uses swear words in an advice paper. And I say gently caress like 10 times a day.

It is nice to hear that she's got a somewhat different perspective on how to make it in photography...with the no assisting and stuff like that. You don't hear too much about that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Having walked around with point and shoots, DSLRs, film SLRs, and a TLR while taking pictures in public, I've found that the more eccentric your camera looks, the nicer people are to you (with my new TLR, a little old lady smiled and told me "ooh, I hope you're getting some good pictures!" :3:) By extension, if I walked around with a view camera mounted to a steadicam rig, I would be the most popular and well liked person in the world.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

I don't really have anything to say about her advice directly, but I find it hard to take professional advice from someone who so liberally uses swear words in an advice paper. And I say gently caress like 10 times a day.

It is nice to hear that she's got a somewhat different perspective on how to make it in photography...with the no assisting and stuff like that. You don't hear too much about that.

I don't like her because she hasn't followed me back on Tumblr.

Some of her advice is good, but the credit card thing is bad. I can't see how anyone would need 5 figures worth of equipment when I did fine getting started with a Rebel XTi, 17-40L, a $200 tripod and a four-year-old 12" PowerBook G4.

Just borrow things when you need them or if it's for a client make them pay for rental.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HPL posted:

I hope she's kidding about the credit card thing because you'd probably be way, way better off going to the bank for a line of credit at prime plus whatever versus 18%+ for a credit card.

As soon as I read that, I just switched off reading the rest.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

I don't know what it says about my swear word usage when I didn't notice any swear words and had to go back and be like, oh yeah, I guess it does use a ton.

I thought it was all very valid advice, and while taking it all out on credit cards might not be the best idea, the idea that you do need to invest is sound. The public persona part is important too, I have a "friend" who's a "pro photographer" (is technically a photographer full time but is constantly broke and doesn't have too many jobs, so more like jobless) who is constantly griping about, on public social media, including his professional accounts, about how a)photography isn't going good b)no girl wants to get with him and all girls are vapid whores c)drunk updates rambling how much his life sucks. I'll tell you what, if I was a possible customer and looked up his profiles to see how he is to work with, the moment I saw that poo poo I'd run away.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

woot fatigue posted:

I don't like her because she hasn't followed me back on Tumblr.

Some of her advice is good, but the credit card thing is bad. I can't see how anyone would need 5 figures worth of equipment when I did fine getting started with a Rebel XTi, 17-40L, a $200 tripod and a four-year-old 12" PowerBook G4.

Just borrow things when you need them or if it's for a client make them pay for rental.

Yeah, putting yourself in credit card debt for something you hope will pay off is not a good idea. Reminds me of one guy I read on another forum who bought a 5d2 as his starter dslr...go gently caress yourself richie pants. /jealousy

Also everytime I start feeling like my gear is the limiting factor of my work, I remember what you started with, and what a lot of people here use, and it makes me work that much harder because I know it's me, not my equipment.

Her work is nice though.

edit:

nonanone posted:

I don't know what it says about my swear word usage when I didn't notice any swear words and had to go back and be like, oh yeah, I guess it does use a ton.

I thought it was all very valid advice, and while taking it all out on credit cards might not be the best idea, the idea that you do need to invest is sound. The public persona part is important too, I have a "friend" who's a "pro photographer" (is technically a photographer full time but is constantly broke and doesn't have too many jobs, so more like jobless) who is constantly griping about, on public social media, including his professional accounts, about how a)photography isn't going good b)no girl wants to get with him and all girls are vapid whores c)drunk updates rambling how much his life sucks. I'll tell you what, if I was a possible customer and looked up his profiles to see how he is to work with, the moment I saw that poo poo I'd run away.

I think being professional on any public social networking site is super important, no matter what industry your in. It probably has more of an impact when you have to look for your own clients, but in any job I would be super embarrassed if my colleagues/boss/clients saw me griping about how I didn't get laid on the weekend, or how drunk I was or something. I suppose that may not be something most photographers think about, but I agree it's very important.

Now that I think about it, I better comb the internet for any lost and forgotten blogs or sites I may have started as a stupid young person.

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 22, 2011

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can you make a site like that on wordpress?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Some of it is good but ultimately you point to five or fifty pro photographers and they'll all have different stories of how they got to where they are. Some assisted, some don't. Some only shoot film, some have never touched it. etc.

At least it's just a tumblr post and not an attempt at trying to create a "going pro" industry to profit of people directly.

Also the whole "keep up with who is shooting what" is pretty bad advice which she ends up pointing out herself. You shouldn't turn your work into a competition, let it stand on its own merit.

The whole don't assist thing is garbage which it looks like has been pointed out to her as she back tracks in the addendum.

Assisting is definitely different to photography but it is still hugely valuable. I was thinking about writing a blog post on it.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 22, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

Also the whole "keep up with who is shooting what" is pretty bad advice which she ends up pointing out herself. You shouldn't turn your work into a competition, let it stand on its own merit.

Keep up with people's work for inspiration. Jealousy is only natural and it will happen, but if you swallow your pride and get past comparing yourself to others (for the most part anyway), you'll come away learning something from their work more often than not.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

Keep up with people's work for inspiration. Jealousy is only natural and it will happen, but if you swallow your pride and get past comparing yourself to others (for the most part anyway), you'll come away learning something from their work more often than not.

You can get inspired from sources other than photography. If you're using other photographers as your main inspiration your work will become imprinted with THEIR style not yours. Which is becoming all too common and you end up with a bunch of people that look like copy cats because they think they have to adhere to what their more esteemed peers are doing.

Flickr really shows this quite visibly with how similar many photographers are because that's what they think the market wants (and more often than not it is) - the same thing happens on a professional level. You end up seeing the same editorial work being produced by like 8 different photographers because of one magazine editorial.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 22, 2011

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

aliencowboy posted:

Not to mention, networking. Living in NYC, there's a ton of social media savvy photographers who have shows and openings all the friggin time. Going to those shows and openings and knowing who is doing what is a good way to get your own shows and openings and jobs and whatnot. Like any other industry, a lot of getting ahead is who you know.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

Not to mention, networking. Living in NYC, there's a ton of social media savvy photographers who have shows and openings all the friggin time. Going to those shows and openings and knowing who is doing what is a good way to get your own shows and openings and jobs and whatnot. Like any other industry, a lot of getting ahead is who you know.

Yeah, that's definitely a good thing to do. I wouldn't be where I am now if I didn't have incredibly supportive peers and good connections. I just try not to look too hard at their work, haha.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

You can get inspired from sources other than photography. If you're using other photographers as your main inspiration your work will become imprinted with THEIR style not yours. Which is becoming all too common and you end up with a bunch of people that look like copy cats because they think they have to adhere to what their more esteemed peers are doing.

Flickr really shows this quite visibly with how similar many photographers are because that's what they think the market wants (and more often than not it is) - the same thing happens on a professional level. You end up seeing the same editorial work being produced by like 8 different photographers because of one magazine editorial.

I agree and it is something you need to approach with caution, but I wasn't trying to imply that inspired work need be derivative.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I'm in the process of pissing off a whole bunch of people (i.e., superiors) at work in order to protect the copyright on my photos. Is this a good idea?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

William T. Hornaday posted:

I'm in the process of pissing off a whole bunch of people (i.e., superiors) at work in order to protect the copyright on my photos. Is this a good idea?

Yes. Unavoidable.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yes, it's unavoidable and perfectly within your rights.

Your employers can tell you to stop taking pictures at work, they can tell you to do it outside of normal hours, but they can't tell you anybody other than you owns those pictures.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I agree with the previous two gentlemen. That's the right course of action. If you let it slide then they'll continue to disrespect your rights and who knows where it'll end up. Better to put an end to it ASAP.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Exactly the answers I was hoping for.

Like the angel on my shoulder. Thanks, Dorkroom.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

William T. Hornaday posted:

Exactly the answers I was hoping for.

Like the angel on my shoulder. Thanks, Dorkroom.

Read the fine print on the paper you signed when you got hired. They might have a clause in there stating that anything you create whether at work or not belongs to them (especially if it is related to whatever you were hired to do). It'd probably never hold up in court, but their hope is no one will ever bother to pony up the legal fees to contest it.

It could also put you on the shitlist, piss off the wrong manager and they will put you under a microscope looking for any reason to terminate. Or assign you to the shittiest job at the company.

Just general advice, I don't know your workplace so results may vary. But they do have ways of making you miserable that are within the law.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

It mostly comes down to the fact that no one there (except me, apparently) understands photographic copyright, and I come across looking like a neurotic rear end in a top hat when I try to explain it to people and ask that they respect it.

Almost every single photo I've taken at work was off the clock, on my lunch, or on my breaks. I'm nice enough to let my immediate coworkers use them for presentations, projects, etc. and occasionally I'll allow them to be used for official company stuff like press releases, graphics, or on the website, on the condition that I provide explicit permission for the specific use and that I'm credited as the photographer. Those requests have apparently rubbed at least one higher-up the wrong way in the past. And just recently a photo of mine was 'authorized' by someone above me to be used in a official company publication and I didn't find out about it until I saw a copy of the finished product in the gift shop. I reiterated my conditions for the use of my photos to the person responsible and it was met with hostility.

I'm seriously considering just not ever sharing my photos with anyone at work again because it always seems to erupt into a giant clusterfuck like this, but doing that will undoubtedly also piss people off. And honestly, the thing that bothers me the most about all this is that it's completely taken the enjoyment out of taking photos there.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If they're using your work in products they're selling, gently caress them. You have a right to compensation for your work, or they can pay someone else to do it instead.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paul MaudDib posted:

If they're using your work in products they're selling, gently caress them. You have a right to compensation for your work, or they can pay someone else to do it instead.

Totally agree. Your photos are stunning on their own. If they are selling it as part of merchandise, then screw them. They are profiting off your photos that you took off the clock and they are entitled to nothing. If worse comes to worst you will find a new job....sucks but not the end of the world.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So I took a few snapshots at a Christmas party last week, and finally got around to uploading a few so people could see them. The following exchange happened at work the next day.

Host of Party: "Hey man, I saw you only put up like 10 pictures or something, didn't you take more?"
Me: "Oh, yeah, I did, I took a bunch. I really only got a handful of good shots though, it was really dark in there."
HoP: "What... I mean... why don't you just put them all up?"
Me: "Well, I just wanted to put up the quality pictures since I try to keep a high standard of work, no matter what it is."
HoP: "*exasperated sigh*, just send me everything you took, I'll see what I can salvage."
Me: ":aaa: Uh, no?"

I'm not a guy at a party with a loving Coolpix, I actually want to keep my name associated with quality photographs. How can you be so dumb to think, "*SIGH*, this guy has no idea what he's doing, I guess I'll swoop in and fix all his pictures for him, even though I don't know a camera from a butthole."

tl;dr - Dorkroomer gets pissed off, probably overreacts.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

QPZIL posted:

So I took a few snapshots at a Christmas party last week, and finally got around to uploading a few so people could see them. The following exchange happened at work the next day.

Host of Party: "Hey man, I saw you only put up like 10 pictures or something, didn't you take more?"
Me: "Oh, yeah, I did, I took a bunch. I really only got a handful of good shots though, it was really dark in there."
HoP: "What... I mean... why don't you just put them all up?"
Me: "Well, I just wanted to put up the quality pictures since I try to keep a high standard of work, no matter what it is."
HoP: "*exasperated sigh*, just send me everything you took, I'll see what I can salvage."
Me: ":aaa: Uh, no?"

I'm not a guy at a party with a loving Coolpix, I actually want to keep my name associated with quality photographs. How can you be so dumb to think, "*SIGH*, this guy has no idea what he's doing, I guess I'll swoop in and fix all his pictures for him, even though I don't know a camera from a butthole."

tl;dr - Dorkroomer gets pissed off, probably overreacts.

I ran into this exact same problem :( If I shoot my friend's hockey games, he asks me why I only put up 10-20 pictures from the whole game. I try to explain why and he says I should just dump them all onto my computer and upload all at once, blurry pictures and all... I already think my hockey pictures aren't that great, there is no way in hell I am going to show every picture I took haha.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Event photography is more about the coverage than the actual photography. People care more that there are pictures of them rather than good pictures of the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paragon8 posted:

Event photography is more about the coverage than the actual photography. People care more that there are pictures of them rather than good pictures of the event.

This is true, but I think the point is, people either hear your shutter firing throughout the night, or they say you taking pictures of the event, and they think there should be 100+ pictures.

The biggest truth is, if you get 1 good picture of someone from that event, they won't worry about where the other pictures are :P