Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

GD_American posted:

It took me 2 years to not feel weird putting in my own time.

I remember I went off on a career SSA employee (he was a 30 year+ CSR, you are filling in the blanks correctly from there) who was in the break room bitching about being micromanaged. (We are not micro-managed. If anything, we're under-managed somewhat)

I told him that in millions of jobs in America, they have a timeclock, a time card, and often they have a supervisor there watching you punch in, and if you punch in late (or even just on time) you get groused at, and about 5-10 minutes after work time starts they collect all the time cards so if you come in later than that you have to see your boss just to be able to start work. The concept horrified him.

I remember he retired early (like, mid-50s) and last I heard he was about to go work at Amazon. lol good luck there, fucko, I'm sure that'll be an education

The time clock thing is abusive overmanagement though. That treating labor like poo poo has been normalized in this country doesn’t make it correct.

I’ve had to do the time clock thing. All it did was motivate me to find ways to steal back time and fantasize about killing my power tripping bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I actually struggled really hard at my SSA job, hosed up a lot, and left, despite doing well in training and graduating from the course.

Now during this job market, I'm just sending out applications and spinning my wheels. It sucks a lot. :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Meanwhile I was told I was unqualified for the SSA GS-7 I applied to, despite five years as a GS-9 at USCIS, which as far as I can tell is the immigration equivalent of SSA

Timeclocks really are stupid. My last USCIS position finally escaped those in favor of a manual timesheet, except then by the time I left that job actually required entering everything you were doing, down to 15 minute segments, into a database. Hot

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

I actually struggled really hard at my SSA job, hosed up a lot, and left, despite doing well in training and graduating from the course.

Now during this job market, I'm just sending out applications and spinning my wheels. It sucks a lot. :(

FWIW I was one of the dudes that interviewed you for the grading job in Denver you applied to a few years ago, and you were a great candidate. You just got beaten out by someone with a MA in animal science. I’d recommend trying for some of those roles again when they open up, series 1980.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Artificer posted:

SSA jobs can be hard, keeping up with numbers is hard and the training is often insufficient for the actual work you do. Don't beat yourself up.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 25, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

marchantia posted:

SSA jobs can hard, keeping up with numbers is hard and the training is often insufficient for the actual work you do. Don't beat yourself up.

But, like Who's Line, all the numbers are made up and don't matter.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Meanwhile I was told I was unqualified for the SSA GS-7 I applied to, despite five years as a GS-9 at USCIS, which as far as I can tell is the immigration equivalent of SSA

Next time, send me the posting you are looking at. Your experience is completely irrelevant, it's all about the keywords.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

GD_American posted:

I remember I went off on a career SSA employee (he was a 30 year+ CSR, you are filling in the blanks correctly from there) who was in the break room bitching about being micromanaged. (We are not micro-managed. If anything, we're under-managed somewhat)

I told him that in millions of jobs in America, they have a timeclock, a time card, and often they have a supervisor there watching you punch in, and if you punch in late (or even just on time) you get groused at, and about 5-10 minutes after work time starts they collect all the time cards so if you come in later than that you have to see your boss just to be able to start work. The concept horrified him.

I remember he retired early (like, mid-50s) and last I heard he was about to go work at Amazon. lol good luck there, fucko, I'm sure that'll be an education

When I was at TSA, they had a hard on for time clocks and just loved nailing folks to the wall for being 5 minutes late, 5 times over the course of 6 months. They tossed out LOCs with leave restrictions (so you couldn't call out if you were late) like candy.

People like that dont know micromanagement until they had a camera pointed into their screening station with a manager just waiting to jump on you for pulling out a phone or chewing gum in a baggage room.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Boy reading the last page gave me anxiety. I applied for an SSA position and was told that I'd hear back by the end of September if I got the job. Getting close. :smith:

At least my temp SBA job let's me do my own timesheets!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

GD_American posted:

while I agree entirely with your general sentiment, this made me lol because it's the exact opposite of one of my few memories from briefly working at SSA.

First thing every morning I would just enter the same start and leave time every day in whatever web based clocking system we used. Eg 8-:4:30, because those were my regular hours.

a week or two after training, my supervisor walked up to my cube, sternly handed me a print out of my timesheet, and raised her eye brows knowingly while pointing to a column that showed the time the data was entered. It did not correspond exactly to my start and leave times! I was informed in no uncertain yes that I must record the exact minute going forward and that this is monitored.

The end result was of course me trying to game the system as much as possible.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Wow, I'm glad my bosses dun give a gently caress about that poo poo, I enter my start and end times and any leave I took for the entire pay period on the Friday before T&As are due.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

yeah, I should add that my current agency is way chill and it's 1000x better. I don't even enter times, just the daily total hours every two weeks

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Rakeris posted:

Wow, I'm glad my bosses dun give a gently caress about that poo poo, I enter my start and end times and any leave I took for the entire pay period on the Friday before T&As are due.

Yea my agency has literally never had a problem with anything I put on my time sheet (on Fridays at 2 o clock) except for any Military Leave taken for the Reserves. That's super important to check up on base don the amount of emails I get as soon as I put in for it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
v0v, SSA has a 3 and a half hour window (at least at HQ) to show up, so I don't think it's crazy unreasonable to be like "just clock in when you get in/on". Like, nobody of significance gives a poo poo if when you come in during that window, just that you do and that you're honest about it, which seems like a trivial ask.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea my agency has literally never had a problem with anything I put on my time sheet (on Fridays at 2 o clock) except for any Military Leave taken for the Reserves. That's super important to check up on base don the amount of emails I get as soon as I put in for it.

:same:

The only somewhat PITA thing my agency makes us do is fill out a paper timesheet to go along with the electronic time keeping system (no punches, just daily hours due every PP). In my field we traditionally have to document all of our OT separately, but having to fill out a paper timesheet separately for all hours is a bit over the top.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Thesaurus posted:

while I agree entirely with your general sentiment, this made me lol because it's the exact opposite of one of my few memories from briefly working at SSA.

First thing every morning I would just enter the same start and leave time every day in whatever web based clocking system we used. Eg 8-:4:30, because those were my regular hours.

a week or two after training, my supervisor walked up to my cube, sternly handed me a print out of my timesheet, and raised her eye brows knowingly while pointing to a column that showed the time the data was entered. It did not correspond exactly to my start and leave times! I was informed in no uncertain yes that I must record the exact minute going forward and that this is monitored.

The end result was of course me trying to game the system as much as possible.

We've got a five minute tolerance, they said if you clock a time 5 minutes outside it, enter into notes. Our laptops have slow logins all the time, so unless you're doing it every day, you could probably fudge 10-15 minutes every now and then and get away with it. I don't bother because, what's another 10-15 minutes at work? I usually erred on the cautious side just because it's the last thing on earth I wanna get hemmed up on.

The first time I got chewed out over time was when I was in training (8am to 4:30pm), it was like 4:45 and someone was showing me something really interesting I was learning from, and our ADM saw me there and panicked, saying YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO LEAVE AT FOUR THIRTY. I said it's ok, I'm not really a clockwatcher, and this guy was showing me something really interesting.

That was when I learned that no, you don't just get to work a little longer in government over the clock if you feel like it.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

GD_American posted:

That was when I learned that no, you don't just get to work a little longer in government over the clock if you feel like it.

Yeah the only time anyone has ever given me poo poo has been when I've stayed past the clock or not taken a break.

The manager lady in my last office was so anxious about that she insisted that people literally leave the building during lunch so there could be no confusion over whether they had taken their lunch break.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Here in Navy acquisitions my supervisor is military and doesn't give drat what hours I keep as long as things get done. Almost feels like under management but it's a bit stressful because I get anxiety that I'm not doing enough or not aware of issues boiling up.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

In my work, Systems will get after your manager if your call prevents them from ending the site workday, but if your TOD ends before then and your call goes late it's not a problem. Unfortunately my time clock has not been working consistently since I got back and after two/three tickets I have given up on IT ever fixing it, so now I have to document my time myself and send it to my manager, not because he needs it, but because upper management could ask for it... and they're effectively threatening to take away emergency telework for us because of idiots who posted about abusing the system, so any fudging is within a minute or two to avoid issues. It's not great, but it could be worse, and sometimes I can save up slip to end 20 minutes early.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

idiots who posted about abusing the system,

lol how did they post that?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Howard Phillips posted:

Here in Navy acquisitions my supervisor is military and doesn't give drat what hours I keep as long as things get done. Almost feels like under management but it's a bit stressful because I get anxiety that I'm not doing enough or not aware of issues boiling up.

Hello there fren! I’m trying to get a similar job but don’t know what my resume is missing despite doing contracting and acquisitions in the military.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Thesaurus posted:

lol how did they post that?

Facebook, probably under their real name like an absolute dumbass, and by saying they were going to report some time they were spending faffing around as systems downtime because they didn't want to keep working that day or something

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

White Chocolate posted:

Hello there fren! I’m trying to get a similar job but don’t know what my resume is missing despite doing contracting and acquisitions in the military.

I was very lucky in getting this job but I can offer some insights based on my experience. Feel free to PM.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeesh.

I just manage to get overtime regularly because the senior PSE doesn't want to stay long, so I end up getting that time in because I work six days per week every week. Meanwhile, my lead clerk gets pissed off all the time about not getting offered that overtime first because she's full-time.

I think it's all been a matter of circumstance, but I get the impression that someone at my level should not be hitting 40-plus hour weeks all the time. My understanding is that full-timers are supposed to be offered overtime first, which is fine, but my postmaster is such a loving putz that he's either not doing his job or trying to keep overtime as low as possible (we go deep into overtime every Monday because of the load). She files grievances every time she learns that a PSE got overtime, even if it was only fifteen minutes. The rule we practice is to just lie to her about if we got any overtime.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Facebook, probably under their real name like an absolute dumbass, and by saying they were going to report some time they were spending faffing around as systems downtime because they didn't want to keep working that day or something
Reminds me of my old co-worker who posted Facebook pictures of herself grilling outside in a bikini with the caption "Telework is awesome!" and about two days later got taken off Telework

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

Reminds me of my old co-worker who posted Facebook pictures of herself grilling outside in a bikini with the caption "Telework is awesome!" and about two days later got taken off Telework

Lmao what a weak move by management. They are only willing to conceptualize telework as a slavish imitation of office life.

Another reason to avoid having any social network connections with your coworkers

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Thesaurus posted:

Lmao what a weak move by management. They are only willing to conceptualize telework as a slavish imitation of office life.

I don't know the specifics of the situation but it sounds like there's a reasonable chance that management made the right call there. Believe me, I don't like to side with management, but c'mon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

rujasu posted:

I don't know the specifics of the situation but it sounds like there's a reasonable chance that management made the right call there. Believe me, I don't like to side with management, but c'mon.

Assuming the Telework agreement is more or less the same throughout the government, if they were grilling during the time they were supposed to be working, then they violated the telework agreement and their manager would be well within their rights and ability to take them off. The assumption with telework is that, even if you're not at the office, you should be ready to work as poo poo happens. Not busy with other stuff as you're still on the clock.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

She should’ve had her work laptop in the photo.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You can absolutely grill some burgers during your lunch break if you are working from home.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

You can absolutely grill some burgers during your lunch break if you are working from home.

Gotta actually be on break though which isn't clear if they were or not.

Josh Lyman posted:

She should’ve had her work laptop in the photo.

Basically.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's the easiest thing in the world to do that and get away with it. Here's the secret: don't post pictures of yourself doing it.

We had a similar thing at my part of fedgov when we were all sent home. Some chucklefucks correctly determined that we wouldn't be heading back in anytime soon, so they decided to blow town for a few weeks to mountains and beaches. Technically we're supposed to be on 2-hour recall and since we were gone for a few months they could very easily have gone somewhere else and come back with nobody the wiser. Except for posting stuff on Facebook for their coworkers and friends to see! So along with everyone else I got grilled the week after about where I had been (home and the grocery store).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Lol, the bikini did it before the burger, you nerds. Most federal agencies are full of, and run by, puritanical boomers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wearing a bikini during work hours did it? 🤔

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Toshimo posted:

puritanical boomers.

when will the scatological goons run the bureaucracy

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I'm a big believer in who cares what you do as long as you get your work done on time and at an acceptable quality -- while still being a pleasant person to work with.

But I think some of you guys here are ignoring the fact that this person put this picture on blast to the public during working hours. To pull from some of the ethics trainings I've sat in on, even the appearance of fraud, waste, or abuse can lead to "issues with public trust in the Federal government." Obviously I don't have an issue with a person relaxing during their own time during their lunch break, but this becomes a much different issue once the person put it out on social media. Apart of the ethics stuff, it feeds into the false narrative that Federal employees are lazy and don't work on their telework days. It's people like bikini griller that gave this administration enough just cause to cut telework drastically at my agency prior to Covid.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I bashed the managers, but their reaction was to be expected. same as with any other job in the private sector, managers are gonna be managers. drones just need to know how to play the game and the importance of appearances. It's the same reason you want to be seen at your desk clicking on spreadsheets when a boss walks by, not putting your feet up and sipping coffee, regardless of your actual productivity and whether you're on an authorized break.

there are always people that don't understand the importance of appearances. These are usually the same people who will wander around the office complaining to no one in particular they they don't have enough to do.

I sometimes use my condo's pool during lunch and answer emails on my balcony with a virgin piña colada, but I'm not stupid enough to send a pic to my co-workers. Where I live I could telework beachside at a beach bar every day if I felt like it, but you don't want to let on that you're enjoying yourself. Everyone in america, including the government, has accepted and actively enforces the idea that work should be miserable, and you disrupt that image at your own peril

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

I bashed the managers, but their reaction was to be expected. same as with any other job in the private sector, managers are gonna be managers. drones just need to know how to play the game and the importance of appearances. It's the same reason you want to be seen at your desk clicking on spreadsheets when a boss walks by, not putting your feet up and sipping coffee, regardless of your actual productivity and whether you're on an authorized break.

there are always people that don't understand the importance of appearances. These are usually the same people who will wander around the office complaining to no one in particular they they don't have enough to do.

I sometimes use my condo's pool during lunch and answer emails on my balcony with a virgin piña colada, but I'm not stupid enough to send a pic to my co-workers. Where I live I could telework beachside at a beach bar every day if I felt like it, but you don't want to let on that you're enjoying yourself. Everyone in america, including the government, has accepted and actively enforces the idea that work should be miserable, and you disrupt that image at your own peril

+1 couldn't have said it better myself.

Corporate America isn't that much better. If you're going to work in an office, you gotta learn to play the game. Also second the advice that you should minimize sharing your personal life with coworkers. Perception is reality folks.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Toshimo posted:

Next time, send me the posting you are looking at. Your experience is completely irrelevant, it's all about the keywords.
Oh I definitely will. There was just another one that closed recently, but they seem to hire fairly frequently. No clue how this did not post last time I posted, oops

Josh Lyman posted:

Wearing a bikini during work hours did it? 🤔
Yes. I mean, the grilling did too, but you are required to wear the same clothes at home when working as you would in the office. This is part of why they had quarterly unannounced home inspections (though the union finally won the right for a two-hour warning).

(Though the real secret was to live so far away from the office that they found it too irritating to visit, as they only got to me about once a year)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Dr. Quarex posted:

you are required to wear the same clothes at home when working as you would in the office. This is part of why they had quarterly unannounced home inspections (though the union finally won the right for a two-hour warning).

I could see being desperate enough to work for whatever insane poo poo show of an agency this is, but I’d be on USAjobs all day.

I’m trying to imagine how it would go if my employer tried to inspect my home during telework. I think I’d end up unemployed if not in custody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Loucks posted:

I could see being desperate enough to work for whatever insane poo poo show of an agency this is, but I’d be on USAjobs all day.

I’m trying to imagine how it would go if my employer tried to inspect my home during telework. I think I’d end up unemployed if not in custody.
USCIS. And the funny thing is that lots of its employees feel it is one of the best agencies to work for given its discretion in doing your job and fairly minimal micromanagement, but it depends hugely on who your supervisor is. Mine made me come in twice a week from 3 hours away, because that was the rule; other supervisors looked the other way about their employees who lived in the same town coming in once every two weeks.

I would definitely work for them again to be fair, particularly now that the union ensured they do not show up at your house when you are in the bathroom and panicking that they will write you up if you do not answer the door immediately.

But as they have not been hiring since February and may not hire again for years depending on how things go with immigration and Fascism, that is kind of irrelevant.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot; the union also did something awesome not long after I changed jobs, as they finally won a grievance against our service center and eliminated the requirement for some employees to come in twice a week. I got a few thousand dollars out of the blue as a settlement for the time I had logged and the hours I had spent driving. I calculated it was about a tenth of what they actually owed me, but it was sure more than nothing

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 26, 2020