Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I just spent the last week comparing Z97 v X99 v Z170. Haswell-E isn't always the best.

A friend of mine who's heavy into Lightroom wanted something faster than his i7-3770k, so I got him the i7-6700k. We discussed it and figured out that the 4.0 base and 4.2 turbo is better - once he has batch jobs running he doesn't mind walking away as typically his work is over at that point. The extra 1-2 core clock speed, which Lightroom tends to gobble, was worth it, and the ability to go 64GB of RAM (while not as good as X99) is still better than a Devil's Canyon. I'm more or less in the same boat, so I'm sticking with my 4690k overclocked to 4.4 for the foreseeable future.

Unless you need those extra 2 cores/4 threads for something, think hard about what you really need!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Don Lapre posted:

I thought the 3.3ghz 5820k can hit 4.5+ghz. that doesn't seem piss poor to me.
That was my plan a while ago. Stick a big cooler on it and overclock it. The power draw when pushing it wasn't exactly exciting, but that's about it.

But the idea was to allocate two cores to a virtual fileserver. Since I have a physical one, I don't think I need six cores. That is, until someone proves that there's considerable advantages with DX12. NVidia cards delivered rather lackluster results in current benchmarks, so probably not.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

I thought the 3.3ghz 5820k can hit 4.5+ghz. that doesn't seem piss poor to me.
The bins must be incredibly inconsistent then since a lot of people have actual trouble getting past 4.0-4.1.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

LiquidRain posted:

so I got him the i7-6700k.

How did you get him a 6700k, you son of a bitch?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Apparently they're available some places in Europe/Asia, and there are import stores that will happily sell them to you. For a fee, of course.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

All the Japanese/Chinese stores I found were just con games, charging $500+ for it but wouldn't ship for a month, like on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B012M8LXQW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new . You add it to your cart and go through the process before checkout and it goes to "usually ships within 7 to 15 days" and a delivery time of "from 1 to 4 weeks". You also can't buy one on Japan Amazon and have it sent to the US. The European sites like OverclockersUK won't accept outside EU shipping addresses for CPU's for some dumb reason.

Update: motherfucker newegg has 6700k in stock, but only for combo purchases. God drat, I think I'm going to end up selling my 6600k unopened in SA Mart for $50 less. Shouldn't be long before they're sold out of combos.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 22, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The bins must be incredibly inconsistent then since a lot of people have actual trouble getting past 4.0-4.1.

Every data point I've seen has put 4.5 as an average chip, 4.6 as a good one and 4.4 as a crappy chip. People not getting past 4.0 are doing something wrong.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Botnit posted:

How did you get him a 6700k, you son of a bitch?
Live in Tokyo. Went to Akihabara. 3rd store we tried had it in stock for 50,000Y post-tax. ($400 USD - PC parts come with ridiculous markups here) Guy reached into the stock shelf and grabbed one!

They also have the i7-5770C in stock here if that's your fancy, at about 55,000Y.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

Live in Tokyo. Went to Akihabara. 3rd store we tried had it in stock for 50,000Y post-tax. ($400 USD - PC parts come with ridiculous markups here) Guy reached into the stock shelf and grabbed one!

They also have the i7-5770C in stock here if that's your fancy, at about 55,000Y.

That's actually not much of a markup at all. Newegg has them listed for $360, which is about $385 after tax.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Intel is trying to make a new standard that is a little smaller than ITX but quite a bit larger than NUC. I'm not really sure the point of it as it has no PCIE slot, so you should probably just get a NUC. They are socketed so I guess you can choose just about any processor, but they're going to be limited to 65W and integrated graphics. Other than that it seems like they have a pretty standard set of features that NUC also has.

On the plus side, they do have standardized CPU placement, but that's really the only pro I could see.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9556/intel-launches-new-socketed-minipc-motherboards

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

VulgarandStupid posted:

Intel is trying to make a new standard that is a little smaller than ITX but quite a bit larger than NUC. I'm not really sure the point of it as it has no PCIE slot, so you should probably just get a NUC. They are socketed so I guess you can choose just about any processor, but they're going to be limited to 65W and integrated graphics. Other than that it seems like they have a pretty standard set of features that NUC also has.

On the plus side, they do have standardized CPU placement, but that's really the only pro I could see.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9556/intel-launches-new-socketed-minipc-motherboards

That will probably replace the Thin Mini-ITX standard and a 65W TDP conveniently lines up perfectly with the Iris Pro Broadwells.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Krailor posted:

That will probably replace the Thin Mini-ITX standard and a 65W TDP conveniently lines up perfectly with the Iris Pro Broadwells.

Yeah, considering that it drops some of the nice features from mITX (full sized DIMMs, PCIe), and the only advantage it has over a NUC is the support for a socketed CPU, it seems pretty clearly aimed at the reality that there are people who like the SFF of the NUC but need a bit more oomph than a 15W CPU can provide. Which is literally all this does--gives Intel a way to let people stuff a 65W CPU into a SFF box without having to bother releasing a new lineup of soldered sets.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I thought the point of the new form factor was so that you could get console-like performance in a very small volume. Isn't 65W at the most recent generation (or one previous) enough to handle 1080p at low-medium settings, especially with the improvement in integrated graphics over the last decade?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Grundulum posted:

I thought the point of the new form factor was so that you could get console-like performance in a very small volume. Isn't 65W at the most recent generation (or one previous) enough to handle 1080p at low-medium settings, especially with the improvement in integrated graphics over the last decade?
67% of console, anyway. And only with the Broadwell Iris Pro.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
If they keep improving their top end graphics offering I could see them releasing an Iris Pro Kaby Lake part that would give you comparable performance to a 750ti which would soak up the low end graphics market.

But that's all going to pale in comparison to the magical Zen APU that AMD puts out with 8gb of HBM2 that will also let you get rid of your system ram so you can just have something the size of a socket and giant heatsink...right...right guys...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Krailor posted:

If they keep improving their top end graphics offering I could see them releasing an Iris Pro Kaby Lake part that would give you comparable performance to a 750ti which would soak up the low end graphics market.

But that's all going to pale in comparison to the magical Zen APU that AMD puts out with 8gb of HBM2 that will also let you get rid of your system ram so you can just have something the size of a socket and giant heatsink...right...right guys...

Future AMD motherboards are just massive heatsinks with some ports on them, since the APU is practically a system on a chip.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Krailor posted:

Reading r/amd and there are people who believe that there is a supar-sekret version of Zen will come with 16GB of HBM2 and have 8 cores and 16 threads running at 5GHz and you can overclock it to 7GHz and it has onboard graphics as fast as Fury X and it's only going to be $250 and Intel will finally get what they deserve!

AMD is just keeping it under wraps because reasons!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Reading r/amd and there are people who believe that there is a supar-sekret version of Zen will come with 16GB of HBM2 and have 8 cores and 16 threads running at 5GHz and you can overclock it to 7GHz and it has onboard graphics as fast as Fury X and it's only going to be $250 and Intel will finally get what they deserve!

If only.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Now we know where all the kids in elementary school who had uncles that worked for Nintendo went.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

canyoneer posted:

Now we know where all the kids in elementary school who had uncles that worked for Nintendo went.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/07/fabled-sony-nintendo-play-station-prototype-discovered/

:colbert:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's a combination of that an DX12/Vulcan that is the secret sauce

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
Hey, a person can dream can't they...

While in reality I'll just wait for the day that AMD goes bankrupt and on that day buy whatever the top-of-the-line i7 and Geforce card is and ride those off into the sunset for the next 20 years.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Krailor posted:

Hey, a person can dream can't they...

While in reality I'll just wait for the day that AMD goes bankrupt and on that day buy whatever the top-of-the-line i7 and Geforce card is and ride those off into the sunset for the next 20 years.

While AMD is not doing great these days, ARM based CPUs have been nipping at Intel's heels for awhile, so hopefully if AMD goes under, someone will be able to keep Intel from raising their prices too high.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Skandranon posted:

While AMD is not doing great these days, ARM based CPUs have been nipping at Intel's heels for awhile, so hopefully if AMD goes under, someone will be able to keep Intel from raising their prices too high.

Too bad that someone is China.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Skandranon posted:

ARM based CPUs have been nipping at Intel's heels for awhile

Also, next year is the year of Linux on the desktop!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

*Android

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Gwaihir posted:

ARM is selling and there's real-world use cases but the Linux Desktop just hadn't has much of either.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

History tells us the the bigger the AMD gamble, the more it will fall face first into the dirt.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Hey, I said hopefully someone steps up with an ARM design to keep Intel honest, not that ARM is currently competition for Intel in the desktop market.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Palladium posted:

History tells us the the bigger the AMD gamble, the more it will fall face first into the dirt.
Well, there was K7/K8...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
An ARM design that could seriously compete would need to be able to run x86-64 code at an acceptable speed. That's the barrier they'd have to hit to keep Intel "honest".

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

Chromebooks are rapidly becoming the standard school computer. Mostly not the ARM models, however.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rastor posted:

Chromebooks are rapidly becoming the standard school computer. Mostly not the ARM models, however.

They really aren't, in any form. They're several orders of magnitude away from that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Rastor posted:

Chromebooks iPads are rapidly becoming [a secondary device to dick around on while most real work still gets done on] the standard school computer.

Fixed for accuracy and more relevance to ARM.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Nintendo Kid posted:

They really aren't, in any form. They're several orders of magnitude away from that.

I'll have you know that my school district and place of employment both use Chromebooks for training purposes!

Collaboration! Security! Utility!

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Nintendo Kid posted:

An ARM design that could seriously compete would need to be able to run x86-64 code at an acceptable speed. That's the barrier they'd have to hit to keep Intel "honest".

This is true, but that's also assuming that the software momentum of current PCs will outweigh the software momentum of Android/iOS. ARM is already starting to eat into the laptop market (slowly), but PCs are kind of the last bastion where it's x86 or GTFO. ARM designs are making an end-run around it and going straight for server market where that momentum is less of an issue (and the market is actually not shrinking like PCs).

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

It doesn't even need to compete to keep Intel honest, just threaten competition. It's not like AMD is seriously competing with Intel right now, but things would be a lot worse without them around.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Durinia posted:

ARM designs are making an end-run around it and going straight for server market where that momentum is less of an issue (and the market is actually not shrinking like PCs).

In theory, anyway. Actual ARM servers seem to be slow in coming out - there's HP's Moonshot thingy and that's about it that's actually commercially shipping, I think. I'm kind of suspicious manufacturers are more interested in using the threat of ARM in the datacentre to negotiate with Intel than in actually taking the risk of building and selling it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

feedmegin posted:

In theory, anyway. Actual ARM servers seem to be slow in coming out - there's HP's Moonshot thingy and that's about it that's actually commercially shipping, I think. I'm kind of suspicious manufacturers are more interested in using the threat of ARM in the datacentre to negotiate with Intel than in actually taking the risk of building and selling it.

HP's moonshot exists and is awesome, if you were very silly you can even buy AMD APU modules for it :haw:

e: Just to be clear, the Moonshot is a chassis and it supports all kinds of specialized modules- There's the Applied Micro ARM based X-Gene, single to quad Atom C2750 modules, a quad core AMD APU, or Xeon-L low voltage chips.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Gwaihir posted:

HP's moonshot exists and is awesome, if you were very silly you can even buy AMD APU modules for it :haw:

The m700 is actually quite speedy for virtual office needs. 64GB of storage, four APUs with integrated graphics. If only Citrix wasn't created from the pits of Hell...