Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rumor is for the NHL at least that they want to buyout the local sports networks and handle everything themselves at some point, if that's the case they really, really need to put out a better product and number one on that list is the loving blackouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm trying to find out what the best hardware / software combo is out there to use for my streaming needs. Basically I want to get rid of all the Amazon products in the house as Alexa stuff has been exceedingly intrusive over the past year and its time for it all to go.

I have a fire cube streaming to our 4k living room TV and it's on an ethernet connection. I have a few other old fire sticks on a guest room tv and a tv in my office/gym but less worried about replacing those this second. I also have a NAS and a separate Plex media server on the network.

I'd like some hardware / software that can accommodate the following:
1. Stream from my plex server, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video, Disney+ and allow for some kind of ad-blocked Youtube app. I'm using SmarthomeTV or whatever on the Fire cube right now and its been good.
2. Be able to attach to ethernet and HDMI.
3. Have a way to accommodate or come with a remote.

I am open to building up some kind of microPC or modify / sideload onto stuff. Mostly just want to not have ads and as little intrusive stuff involved and just play media from the apps I use.

I have a PiHole on the network also, but it doesn't seem to block youtube ads well in any of my non PC devices.

What should I be looking for?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AppleTV IMO

Blocking Youtube ads is not gonna happen though so either suck it up or pay for premium

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I like using a Chromecast for YouTube and casting from a laptop web browser and AppleTV for everything else.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

That Works posted:

I'm trying to find out what the best hardware / software combo is out there to use for my streaming needs. Basically I want to get rid of all the Amazon products in the house as Alexa stuff has been exceedingly intrusive over the past year and its time for it all to go.

I have a fire cube streaming to our 4k living room TV and it's on an ethernet connection. I have a few other old fire sticks on a guest room tv and a tv in my office/gym but less worried about replacing those this second. I also have a NAS and a separate Plex media server on the network.

1. Stream from my plex server, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video, Disney+ and allow for some kind of ad-blocked Youtube app. I'm using SmarthomeTV or whatever on the Fire cube right now and its been good.

I am open to building up some kind of microPC or modify / sideload onto stuff. Mostly just want to not have ads and as little intrusive stuff involved and just play media from the apps I use.

I have a PiHole on the network also, but it doesn't seem to block youtube ads well in any of my non PC devices.

Get an nVidia Shield. You can easily download different launchers from the Play store so you don't see ads on the homescreen. Sideload SmartTube and you won't get Youtube ads

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FCKGW posted:

AppleTV IMO

Blocking Youtube ads is not gonna happen though

Bonzo posted:

Get an nVidia Shield. You can easily download different launchers from the Play store so you don't see ads on the homescreen. Sideload SmartTube and you won't get Youtube ads

Thanks. Any concerns or issues with the Shield to be aware of, specific versions to avoid or prefer etc?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Isn’t the Shield lagging behind/not receiving regular hardware updates?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

That Works posted:

Thanks. Any concerns or issues with the Shield to be aware of, specific versions to avoid or prefer etc?

The Tube model seems to be the unpopular one.

Thwomp posted:

There are still OS and security updates, but the hardware, imho, is solid. I have an original one which can do 4K. The newer ones have AI upscaling, plus there's the gaming options. Either you use the built in nVidia stuff or run an emulator.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you use Apple stuff then the AppleTV is a no-brainer. If not the Shield is definitely a high quality alternative.

As a Plex user I see the shield recommended a ton and can concede it does support audio bitstreaming which gives it an advantage over the AppleTV in that regard for some users, but I also see it get brought up an awful lot for other issues, and believe it still struggles with some frame rate iffyness. As usual, no perfect box. I’ve had an AppleTV since the 2nd generation and love them, they’re just very capable and fluid devices and you definitely get a premium experience compared to a fire stick/Roku that comes in much cheaper.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

That Works posted:

The Chromecast 4K I bought can do this, and I'm doing exactly what you're trying to do with Youtube. I do have a powered USB-C adapter that also has Ethernet, and it works with no issues and it comes with a remote. I swapped the launcher out and it's been working beautifully so far. So does my Onn streaming box, for that matter.

I have two Shields and they're great, but mine are starting to get a bit flaky after five years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

The Chromecast 4K I bought can do this, and I'm doing exactly what you're trying to do with Youtube. I do have a powered USB-C adapter that also has Ethernet, and it works with no issues and it comes with a remote. I swapped the launcher out and it's been working beautifully so far. So does my Onn streaming box, for that matter.

I have two Shields and they're great, but mine are starting to get a bit flaky after five years.

Thanks! Can you point me at the right direction to learn more about swapping the launcher out/ what that entails? Also how intrusive is the voice activation stuff/ can I completely disable it? Big part of why I am ditching all the Echo devices is because they are far more actively engaging than they did a year or two back.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

That Works posted:

Thanks! Can you point me at the right direction to learn more about swapping the launcher out/ what that entails? Also how intrusive is the voice activation stuff/ can I completely disable it? Big part of why I am ditching all the Echo devices is because they are far more actively engaging than they did a year or two back.

This is what I used with FLauncher:

https://gitlab.com/flauncher/flauncher#set-flauncher-as-default-launcher

I used ADBLink (http://jocala.com) to make the ADB connection and disable the default launcher.

This page gives you sort of an idea of what you'll see step by step: https://www.techdoctoruk.com/tutorials/use-custom-launcher-on-chromecast-with-google-tv/ (such as enabling developer options so that you can actually do the steps above). I cobbled it together with other searches like this:https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/s96moi/how_to_connect_to_ccwgtv_via_adb_using_only_wifi/, but if you stick with ADBLink and FLauncher, it was fairly easy and you won't need that reddit link, it's more of a long way to get to the same place.

If that doesn't make sense, just let me know. As far as disabling voice, that's in the main settings (https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7320960?hl=en), but I haven't done it personally. Should be fairly easy to do so though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

This is what I used with FLauncher:

https://gitlab.com/flauncher/flauncher#set-flauncher-as-default-launcher

I used ADBLink (http://jocala.com) to make the ADB connection and disable the default launcher.

This page gives you sort of an idea of what you'll see step by step: https://www.techdoctoruk.com/tutorials/use-custom-launcher-on-chromecast-with-google-tv/ (such as enabling developer options so that you can actually do the steps above). I cobbled it together with other searches like this:https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/s96moi/how_to_connect_to_ccwgtv_via_adb_using_only_wifi/, but if you stick with ADBLink and FLauncher, it was fairly easy and you won't need that reddit link, it's more of a long way to get to the same place.

If that doesn't make sense, just let me know. As far as disabling voice, that's in the main settings (https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7320960?hl=en), but I haven't done it personally. Should be fairly easy to do so though.

Awesome thanks! I think I can get it going with all of the above but will send you a PM or something if I get totally lost. Seems like something I am capable of at least.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have Alexa devices and could give two shits if Bezos wants to hear my boring rear end. Wouldn't Google just be the same? Just look at how they've ramped up YT ads.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bonzo posted:

I have Alexa devices and could give two shits if Bezos wants to hear my boring rear end. Wouldn't Google just be the same? Just look at how they've ramped up YT ads.

Thus asking if the feature can be disabled and how I can side load apps onto it that block those ads

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bonzo posted:

I had the Fire TV cube briefly and from what I was reading, it’s a hell of a lot harder to swap out the launcher (I really can’t stand the Amazon UI) without screwing something up there. Both the nVidia Shield and the Chromecast let you swap the launcher much more easily.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheScott2K posted:

LoL if you think 5G isn't going to make Comcast look like Santa Claus when it comes to data caps.

TheScott2K posted:

What do you think 5G is going to do to affect that situation that LTE couldn't have?

So anyway, T-Mobile has a deal where you can get their 5G Home Internet for only $25 a month with no data cap. "Lifetime" rate too so it won't go up for a while. I've been using for two days now and it's way better than Comcast in my market. I'm pulling 450/90 on TMobile where I was lucky to get 250/25 on Comcast and I pay for 800/200. It's great for streaming but your pings can get a little long so not that great for gaming. I'm not a gamer so I'm stoked so far. I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I try to use it for work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Croatoan posted:

So anyway, T-Mobile has a deal where you can get their 5G Home Internet for only $25 a month with no data cap. "Lifetime" rate too so it won't go up for a while. I've been using for two days now and it's way better than Comcast in my market. I'm pulling 450/90 on TMobile where I was lucky to get 250/25 on Comcast and I pay for 800/200. It's great for streaming but your pings can get a little long so not that great for gaming. I'm not a gamer so I'm stoked so far. I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I try to use it for work.

Yeah I was going to get in on this deal even as a “hotspot” but they don’t service my area… in like the middle of Los Ángeles lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I was going to get in on this deal even as a “hotspot” but they don’t service my area… in like the middle of Los Ángeles lol

Same. I think they’re looking to juice up subscribers in areas with excess capacity. LA metro is probably already congested

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

are there any special (or recurring) deals to look out for with Netflix or Paramount+? gonna be looking to rotate out of YoutubeTV as NFL season ends and into a movie/tv service (that we don't already have) for some binging. hardware is a LG C2 (and separately, a PC) but we could get an AppleTV device if needed.

I know there was a paramount+ deal around black friday but I wasn't looking then

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix doesn’t run promotions.

You just missed out on 50% off a year of Paramount+, it ended on the 3rd.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

pmchem posted:

are there any special (or recurring) deals to look out for with Netflix or Paramount+? gonna be looking to rotate out of YoutubeTV as NFL season ends and into a movie/tv service (that we don't already have) for some binging. hardware is a LG C2 (and separately, a PC) but we could get an AppleTV device if needed.

I know there was a paramount+ deal around black friday but I wasn't looking then

Comes free with Walmart+ if that has some benefits you might find useful.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thwomp posted:

I hit random bugs here and there that take forever to get fixed because some android tv variant is the bottom of the bottom of the list to support for streamers. For example in the peacock app I’m constantly defaulted to audio descriptions being enabled every time a new episode starts or I resume a paused episode. It’s been an issue for months from what I can tell from various googletv subreddits

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
loving around in AutoCAD, it turns out that I was way off on where north is at my new apartment. Time to reposition the antenna.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
welp, re-subbed to Disney+ with this $6.99 deal on the basic plan, only to learn that they're in a fight with Roku at the moment. Using a PS4 in the meantime, functional but the remote is a much bigger pain to use!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does anyone have a recommendation for an IPTV viewer I can toss on my Sony Android TV? I've been playing around with services to stream out my local content and while I'll likely use some proxy nonsense to get it all bundled together into Plex with my actual antenna stuff I'd like to be able to toss it on without being assed to type in URLs into VLC. Bonus points if they can be hooked into the "live" section like you can with SlingTV.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Stealing from Slickdeals, but if you have Verizon, you may be eligible for a free year of Netflix premium with a bundle of something else. Since I already had Netflix, this would pay for itself in six months.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16506664-netflix-premium-1-year-free-verizon-up-members-only-bundle-required-5-83-mo-minimum#comments

Calm and Netflix Premium $69.99/yr
STARZ and Netflix Premium $74.99/yr
AMC+ and Netflix Premium $83.88/yr
Super Duolingo and Netflix Premium $83.99/yr
Paramount+ Premium and Netflix Premium $99.99/yr
Peloton App and Netflix Premium $129.99/yr

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp, figured it was about to happen. (I just got a survey from Google about YTTV pricing *yesterday*)

Just got an email from YouTube TV - prices are rising from $65 to $73 a month.

The 4K package is *decreasing* from $20 to $10/month and there is a $5/month 12 month promotion if you sign up for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This is the straw, putting mine on indefinite suspension now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

This is the straw, putting mine on indefinite suspension now.

Same at least until football season starts back up.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

BonoMan posted:

Welp, figured it was about to happen. (I just got a survey from Google about YTTV pricing *yesterday*)

Just got an email from YouTube TV - prices are rising from $65 to $73 a month.

The 4K package is *decreasing* from $20 to $10/month and there is a $5/month 12 month promotion if you sign up for it.

It's still cheaper than Xfinity for me, so I'm sticking with it. It'll get a bit painful when RedZone comes back but still I find YTV to be the best out there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My Spectrum package just went up too. The excuse is that the channels and stations increased their fees, so spectrum had to pass it on to the customers. I don't understand how that justifies increasing the cost of the internet though. I'd love to cancel. But they're literally my only option for high speed internet. I would be paying way more if I went with just their internet and then an OTT service like YTTV or Hulu.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah this might make me seriously reconsider.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Now it makes sense that T-Mobile said their $10 /month discount was being shifted from the sub itself to a T-Mobile bill credit. I was already contemplating cancelling for that since work pays my cell phone bill so having the $10 discount there didn't do me any good.

I basically only watch animation reruns on FXX that are all on Hulu and stuff on Adult Swim which area also mostly just reruns that are on HBO Max and Hulu. I don't do sports, so no issue there. This will be the kick I need to stop just putting the TV around for background noise while I doomscroll. Should be playing video games or watching something in my huge backlog instead.

With the savings I could buy like 3-4 full TV seasons a month from Vudu or Amazon so if there's something I do want to watch that's not next day on one of the streaming services, I should be covered.

My billing cycle is on the 8th so I don't have do do anything about it till May 8th since I'll still get the old price when this cycle ends.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Now it makes sense that T-Mobile said their $10 /month discount was being shifted from the sub itself to a T-Mobile bill credit. I was already contemplating cancelling for that since work pays my cell phone bill so having the $10 discount there didn't do me any good.

I basically only watch animation reruns on FXX that are all on Hulu and stuff on Adult Swim which area also mostly just reruns that are on HBO Max and Hulu. I don't do sports, so no issue there. This will be the kick I need to stop just putting the TV around for background noise while I doomscroll. Should be playing video games or watching something in my huge backlog instead.

With the savings I could buy like 3-4 full TV seasons a month from Vudu or Amazon so if there's something I do want to watch that's not next day on one of the streaming services, I should be covered.

My billing cycle is on the 8th so I don't have do do anything about it till May 8th since I'll still get the old price when this cycle ends.

Same, mine is on the 7th. Gonna mull it over with my partner and see what she says. I *do* watch Sports so that kinda sucks. But other than that, we mainly use subscription services (otherwise it's just news or the office in the bg)

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Directv Stream raising prices too:

quote:

Today DIRECTV STREAM started to contact customers to inform them that starting April 22nd, their TV price will e going up to 74.99 a month and the popular Choice plan will now cost $99.99 a month.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If anyone in here wants a 30 day free trial of HBO with Ads, PM me. Microsoft gave me a code that expires in a week and I already have it.

Edit: claimed!

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 26, 2023

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Youtube announced pricing for NFL Sunday Ticket, and they are making it available through a Youtube TV package OR a package for people who don't want YTTV and just want to watch in Youtube.

yttv: 349 (249 presale)

no yttv: 449 (349 presale)

Looks like Redzone can be added to either for $40.

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/nfl-sunday-ticket-presale-2023/

To add it in Youtube, looks like you can go to the NFL page, and there's a Get NFL Sunday Ticket link.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

phosdex posted:

Youtube announced pricing for NFL Sunday Ticket, and they are making it available through a Youtube TV package OR a package for people who don't want YTTV and just want to watch in Youtube.

yttv: 349 (249 presale)

no yttv: 449 (349 presale)

Looks like Redzone can be added to either for $40.

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/nfl-sunday-ticket-presale-2023/

To add it in Youtube, looks like you can go to the NFL page, and there's a Get NFL Sunday Ticket link.

:hellyeah:

Wonder if the discount applies if your sub is currently on pause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Wish they would have a single team package. $350 to watch a team, then how many games are going to be national anyway.