Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

"We spent all 3.2M on hookers and blow product research, sorry guys."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

ItBreathes posted:

Foam IEMs (Shure Olives at least, Comply has isolation-focused tips) are just physical soundproofing, preventing outside sounds from reaching your ear canal, and drat good at what they do.

What about IEMs that also do ANC? Is there even any point to that?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CaladSigilon posted:

What about IEMs that also do ANC? Is there even any point to that?

The main reason would be if they don't provide enough isolation. If you're not using (well seated and the right size) foam tips IEMs aren't going to do much better than anything else, and ANC will do it's thing.

And don't get me wrong here, ANC is very good at what it's good at, but good foam tips are (like) a pair of good earplugs, that still pipe your music through, with the added benefit of being passive and even more portable.

Honestly, if I were you I'd try to try them both in the environments you'll be using them in and return the ones you like less. You say you'll be traveling a lot, which is what ANC is usually recommended for so if it suits your purpose and you prefer not to go IEM I'm not saying you shouldn't get them, but the IEMs will do a real good job at shutting the world out, especially if a kid starts screaming or somesuch.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
My problem with IEMs and travel is that my ears get fatigued wearing them after a few hours. These are are comfy westones with tons of earbud options too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Lowness 72 posted:

My problem with IEMs and travel is that my ears get fatigued wearing them after a few hours. These are are comfy westones with tons of earbud options too.

That was me before customs, but I have a hard time suggesting that to anyone who hasn’t tried all the gateway drugs first.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

eddiewalker posted:

That was me before customs, but I have a hard time suggesting that to anyone who hasn’t tried all the gateway drugs first.

I mean, if Etymotic made a pair of high end headphones, I’d be all over that.

I guess I need to do a trip to a store and see how comfortable foam IEMs would be. If not... Bose QC over the Sennheiser HD1?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

CaladSigilon posted:

I mean, if Etymotic made a pair of high end headphones, I’d be all over that.

I guess I need to do a trip to a store and see how comfortable foam IEMs would be. If not... Bose QC over the Sennheiser HD1?

If you're in NYC there's a store on 46th (46 audio) that will let you try out all kinds of stuff including IEMs. They have a plastic bucket full of "tester " westones buds you can try on whatever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I used to have a funny thing with IEMs because while tiny and convenient getting a good fit was super difficult until I read something that made me experience a realization.

My ear canals aren't remotely symmetrical. I have to use tips with different sizes for each ear. A perfect fit on one side does nothing for the other.

Then there's the part where you have to figure out how to sit each IEM in each ear for that perfect comfortable fit while maintaining a good seal and it takes a lot of experimentation which must be started over if you swap out the tips.

On the upside I've somehow become used to triple flange tips which I used to find terrifyingly invasive. So that's nice.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Worth every penny, folks.

I've never experienced anything like this DAC/amp ... ultra-clean, totally adjustable, great crossfeed implementation, and the dynamic/configurable loudness function is really great for quiet background listening. Nothing feels like a tacked-on gimmick, but rather a professionally engineered function. The amp section drives 300 Ohm headphones without even ticking over, and even with the EQ tuned a bit bass heavy (that's the live view in the photo, not the curve chosen ... it was just a bass heavy section when I took the photo), it feels like there is an unlimited power reserve for dynamics.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

DoesNotCompute posted:

I went with an external audioengine D1, it’s usb based, doesn’t require an external power source and does 24bit/96khz, I’m very happy with it and it was not expensive.

$170 isn't expensive :psyduck:

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

MC Hawking posted:

Everything's relative.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

MC Hawking posted:

I got mine used for $90. Check USaudiomart, I got mine on the Canadian equivalent and am always finding deals.

(Also lol at the $1k DAC posted above, now that's affordable)

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

DoesNotCompute posted:

I got mine used for $90. Check USaudiomart, I got mine on the Canadian equivalent and am always finding deals.

(Also lol at the $1k DAC posted above, now that's affordable)

I apologize for nothing. It makes me a lot happier than a 15K Harley would. :)

My first DAC/amp was the $30 Beyerdynamic model. Middle age comes with a few disposable income privileges.

insularis fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 22, 2018

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

insularis posted:

I apologize for nothing. It makes me a lot happier than a 15K Harley would. :)

My first DAC/amp was the $30 Beyerdynamic model. Middle age comes with a few disposable income privileges.

Oh I can't even fault you, honest question though, does it sound that much better? I can see paying big money for a power amp or pre-amp or speakers but I've just never heard a DAC that sounded $1k better than a $200 one. I've never heard the one you posted though.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

DoesNotCompute posted:

Oh I can't even fault you, honest question though, does it sound that much better? I can see paying big money for a power amp or pre-amp or speakers but I've just never heard a DAC that sounded $1k better than a $200 one. I've never heard the one you posted though.

Definitely diminishing returns, for sure. But, it lets me use any source I want without doing EQ/crossfeed/balance/loudness through software (or going without), and yeah, it's drat apparent on 300 ohm headphones like the Sennheiser 6xx or 250 ohm Beyerdynamic 770 next to the Beyerdynamic DAC/amp, and better than the Objective ODAC.

Hard to quantify, of course, but yeah, I found it worthwhile (or it definitely would have been returned). I'd been researching a new DAC/amp stack for over a year, and this was the first one that really ticked every box.

I particularly like that it's mid-pro engineered audio gear for pros, not consumer. Very little woo factor, everything is measurable.

This one component costs about half of what my home theater did, because I use it every day at work, for most of the day.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

insularis posted:

Definitely diminishing returns, for sure. But, it lets me use any source I want without doing EQ/crossfeed/balance/loudness through software (or going without), and yeah, it's drat apparent on 300 ohm headphones like the Sennheiser 6xx or 250 ohm Beyerdynamic 770 next to the Beyerdynamic DAC/amp, and better than the Objective ODAC.

Hard to quantify, of course, but yeah, I found it worthwhile (or it definitely would have been returned). I'd been researching a new DAC/amp stack for over a year, and this was the first one that really ticked every box.

I particularly like that it's mid-pro engineered audio gear for pros, not consumer. Very little woo factor, everything is measurable.

Fair enough, and I suppose headphone applications would make it more obvious if something was a little "off". The majority of my listening is on bookshelves and a good mix of CD, vinyl, tapes and about half coming out of the little DAC so getting EQ stuff right is always a challenge. I tend to just leave everything flat these days. Almost all of my gear is older NAD stuff so I can get behind the lack of woo factor.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

are there good/durable cheap IEMs? around SE215 price - i have a pair and they make everything sound like the version of xtc skylarking that was made with inverted polarity

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

landgrabber posted:

are there good/durable cheap IEMs? around SE215 price - i have a pair and they make everything sound like the version of xtc skylarking that was made with inverted polarity

Honestly... after buying the Tennmak Pro Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones, I wish I hadn't plunked down 5x that much for a pair of SE215's.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DEHWPMG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

insularis posted:

I've never experienced anything like this DAC/amp ... ultra-clean, totally adjustable, great crossfeed implementation, and the dynamic/configurable loudness function is really great for quiet background listening. Nothing feels like a tacked-on gimmick, but rather a professionally engineered function. The amp section drives 300 Ohm headphones without even ticking over, and even with the EQ tuned a bit bass heavy (that's the live view in the photo, not the curve chosen ... it was just a bass heavy section when I took the photo), it feels like there is an unlimited power reserve for dynamics.

Until few days ago I didn't even know this thing existed, now I want it so bad.

Does the pre-amp mute the speakers when phones are plugged in?

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

Sorbus posted:

Until few days ago I didn't even know this thing existed, now I want it so bad.

Does the pre-amp mute the speakers when phones are plugged in?

You can configure that to behave whichever way you prefer. Check the manual out, that's what finally sold me on it: RME ADI-2 DAC manual.
You can change almost every behavior, aspect of the sound, save presets ... it's neat. I have a different preset for each pair of headphones to either neutralize them or play to their strengths.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I want that DAC amp so bad. But I can't justify the cost to myself (yet?). Went with a b stock black Valhalla 2 for $300 instead. Doesn't sound so different through my speakers but my HD650s definitely sound better with it.

E: vs my magni 2u I was using

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I used to use a lot of RME stuff when i worked in recording studios and had to slave together racks full of DSPs over toslink with a never-fail master clock. It's all ludicrously overbuilt, but solid, reliable and configurable. Absolutely wild overkill for home listening, but I'd take anything they make over your typical audiophile nonsense any day of the week.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Are there any completely wireless IEMs or earbuds that are certified for Skype for Business and have the dedicated USB dongle? Bonus if they are sweat proof / water resistant.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Are there any completely wireless IEMs or earbuds that are certified for Skype for Business and have the dedicated USB dongle? Bonus if they are sweat proof / water resistant.

These must be some intense Skype calls yo.

For content: what you are looking for seems like a really weird edge case and really the only thing I could think of is maybe using a USB dongle and whatever IEMs you want.

Why would they have to be certified for Skype? Seems like a weird thing to need.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 24, 2018

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
SFB certification in headsets has more to do with input processing and voice quality, it also allows the device to bypass the default Skype processing and poo poo. It usually gurantees pretty decent quality as they run a pretty extensive set of tests using ACQUA systems.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

SFB certification in headsets has more to do with input processing and voice quality, it also allows the device to bypass the default Skype processing and poo poo. It usually gurantees pretty decent quality as they run a pretty extensive set of tests using ACQUA systems.

Ah I guess that makes sense! Still don’t know if any IEMs that would have that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Precisely. The water proof is because I travel and would like one set of wireless buds for both work calls and working out. The certified for Skype for Business is for outgoing call quality. For whatever reason, it makes a noticeable difference in how others hear me when I speak.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I've never posted here before, but I got a Logitech gaming headset to replace my old headset last week and I had to return it because it barely worked. Then I got an SHP9500S paired with a BoomPro microphone after reading some discussions earlier in this thread. The headphones sound amazing, the mic sounds good by all accounts, and the whole thing is sturdier and far more comfortable than anything I had before, so thanks headphones thread! :buddy:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

insularis posted:

Hi5.

Yeah, this works pretty well as a DAC. When I listened to it, I was surprised as well that the audio quality difference was very clearly noticeable from other DACs I've used out of the box without doing a direct A-B test. I was looking for something clinical and measurable, and very configurable via EQ, and I purchased the RME ADI2 DAC as well.

As for differences when you start to get to $1000+ equipment: It can be drastic, but make sure that you know what you are getting into (many things are overpriced, audiophile stuff can be very stupid sometimes). If you know somebody with a very legitimate setup, have a listen and a $500 versus $4000 legitimate setup will be clear.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

ntan1 posted:

Hi5.

As for differences when you start to get to $1000+ equipment: It can be drastic, but make sure that you know what you are getting into (many things are overpriced, audiophile stuff can be very stupid sometimes). If you know somebody with a very legitimate setup, have a listen and a $500 versus $4000 legitimate setup will be clear.

Thanks! Yeah, that was definitely my big spend for the year (next year, I'm thinking a set of planar magnetics, but I'll audition those first). I still use an ODAC at home, and the difference is very, very noticeable with the same headphones and tracks. I feel like the RME is my final stop for the amp/DAC portion.

Yeah, as far as woo goes, I try to be rational about everything. I don't believe in cables beyond proper termination and basic quality construction (at least, I can't hear a difference). I don't believe in subtleties that can't be measured. And I don't have the conceit to ego that I have "golden ears". I just know what I like and what sounds good to me for maximum enjoyment.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What's the go to for wireless headphones for my phone? I prefer earbuds because headphones feel uncomfortable. I don't really care too much about quality as I use $15 dollar ear buds right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

poe meater posted:

What's the go to for wireless headphones for my phone? I prefer earbuds because headphones feel uncomfortable. I don't really care too much about quality as I use $15 dollar ear buds right now.

which phones and what is your price range?

The Anker ones are decent and in the 20ish range.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Im using a Pixel 2 and I have never had any wireless headphones before. Need something for the commute and when I'm at work. I could be potentially using it for like 6 hours a day. No budget really.

Edit: Why are AirPods so expensive? Because it's apple?

poe meater fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 30, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AirPods aren't really any more expensive than any other completely wireless earbuds.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

poe meater posted:

Im using a Pixel 2 and I have never had any wireless headphones before. Need something for the commute and when I'm at work. I could be potentially using it for like 6 hours a day. No budget really.

Are you looking for wireless as in no wire to your phone (ie standard Bluetooth headphones), or wireless as in no wires at all even between the two buds (eg airpods and similar)? Because the latter is more expensive at this point, probably because true wireless buds are still fairly young.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah it's still pretty new tech and unfortunately the prices were pretty much set by lovely Kickstarter projects and Apple.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

poe meater posted:

I love my AirPods, but if you’re not fully-invested in the Apple ecosystem, you’re going to be disappointed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked everything about AirPods except that I couldn't wear them for more than a half hour, so I returned them. The Zolo Liberty+ I got are worse in every way except that I can wear them all day.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I didn't realize the real wireless earbuds were new technology. Is there any real difference other than the convenience of it actually being wireless? I guess I'm looking for the more standard bluetooth headphones since it would be cheaper and perhaps better sound quality (just guessing)? I appreciate the help and information, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have a new unconventional recommendation and I'm prepared to be yelled at:

The Sennheiser GSP500 gaming headset. For music. Imagine open back with a very large sound stage, great imaging and sub bass. Somehow. (It's semi closed and has angled drivers, plus Sennheiser voodoo magic)

If only they didn't come in a retarded XxX_Gamer-Xtreme_XxX form factor that I'd be embarrassed to be seen in. Then again maybe if they came made of exotic polished metal and such they'd cost 4 times as much for no practical benefit.

To be clear I'm listening to them via my Jotunheim on low gain so I can't speak for a motherboard listening experience but if you can afford these you can also afford a cheap USB DAC/AMP (FiiO Olympus 2-E10K?) for a clean source if required. I reckon pretty much anything would drive them though.

I think they have a better sound stage than my loving Fostex TH610s. At what point during design did these become gaming headphones? :psyduck: