Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Radiohead71 posted:

Just got this game on steam and loving it so far. My good doctor and research guy was killed by a rabid squirrel. Also the other 2 dudes are near serious breakdown since I had them both cannibal a dead raider since my food was low.

Is it worth it to continue with 2 guys or just start over?

The game's perfectly viable with only 1 colonist and eventually it'll turn back around to make more colonists available anyway. However, combat is going to be a real problem until you have more warm bodies unless you've already researched the turret technology (in which case you can cower behind your turrets for a lot of stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhere Sanguine
May 25, 2011
Will infestations attack raiders?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Somewhere Sanguine posted:

Will infestations attack raiders?

Yeah. I've actually had an infestation spawn inside an ancient evil site and go to war with the cryosleeping marines

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Picked this up about a month ago, I'm really glad to find a version of Dwarf Fortress that has both moderated the :spergin: aspects, and has nice graphics.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
My Labradors are alcoholics and my entire colony has a -30% move speed because they won't stop smoking blunts. 10/10

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zhentar posted:

Also, once you've played long enough to understand how goofy the vanilla pathfinding can be, try out my brand new Better Pathfinding mod!

Trying this out now, any chance for a steam workshop upload?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Alert: Infestation!
Alert: Food binge!

Consuming: Insect Jelly.

A-loving-mazing.

Also, oh, is a prisoner going berserk and trying to break down the door, why, this seems like an excellent time to deliver food and OH GOD WHY ARE YOU HITTING ME.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 5, 2016

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The theme of my current game is people joining at awful times. I had a crashed pod come down during a maneater Warg pack. Earlier a wanderer joined during a raid and immediately got beat to death. I actually didn't notice the join message, just the A colonist is down!!! one.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I just lost the will to play my latest colony to Randy thinking back to back plagues infecting almost everyone in my 20 person colony would be hilarious. I'll be lucky if half of them survive since my doctors are bascially just spending their entire days treating illnesses while everyone else lies around in pain. I didn't realize how fast plague worked until I started seeing colonists needing rescue like 1 or 2 days after contracting it, and now it's too late.

That said, I guess I could just stick with the survivors and see how long it'll be before I can get back to my previous population.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

basically all health problems in this game are best treated the second they're detected - god forbid you have someone try to walk off a scratch from a raccoon, because you know GOD drat well that it will get infected, and then it's a nailbiting couple of days and guaranteed consumption of a couple medical resources to make sure they don't die. basically anything you can imagine is more serious than that and it's all best treated immediately.

and gently caress any heart problems, holy jizzsock heart attacks are goddamn nasty in this game. someone with even minor blockage should get a heart transplant at first opportunity.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Speaking of health problems, is it worth bothering with malari-block? It seems an enormous bother to stave off an extremely rare problem. If it blocked diseases and infections in general that would be one thing, but only preventing one out of the variety of random plagues you can get hit with really doesn't seem worth the effort.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Once in a while infection works out for you. I don't know if I misclicked or what but a hunter decided to go after a thrumbo. I noticed in time to save the colonist with only a few cuts on him. Then a few days later I see the thrumbo dead outside my base. Apparently all it's wounds got horribly infected and it died from it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't have this game yet, and I only know a bit about it, but (mostly) out of context, this all sounds ridiculous and fun.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't have this game yet, and I only know a bit about it, but (mostly) out of context, this all sounds ridiculous and fun.

Yesterday, a herd of deer went crazy. One guy was outside, and couldn't run back to base fast enough. He finally staggered to the door, and got incapacitated in the doorway. The deer streamed inside, and overwhelmed the two other colonists I'd sent to murder them/rescue the first dude. They kill most of the deer, but get incapacitated themselves. My only remaining guy has no arms (but he's an excellent researcher, and I didn't realize he had no arms until I'd recruited him), so he can't fight the deer and he can't rescue the wounded.

Everyone's just lying there, bleeding out, while the last deer runs around in circles.

poo poo like that, it happens all the time.

bisonbison fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 5, 2016

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Speaking of health problems, is it worth bothering with malari-block? It seems an enormous bother to stave off an extremely rare problem. If it blocked diseases and infections in general that would be one thing, but only preventing one out of the variety of random plagues you can get hit with really doesn't seem worth the effort.

I've only ever bothered with it when I found myself embarrassingly rich and could afford to buy out a bulk goods trader's entire stock of neutroamine. Malaria isn't even that bad in the spectrum of Rimworld illnesses, some sort of inoculation against plague would be much more useful.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

it'd be worth using it if it didn't require neutroamine or whatever it's called. like if it required 1 herbal medicine, 1 smokeleaf , 1 strawberry or some other concoction of potentially home-grown things that you could produce reasonably efficiently, then okay sure. that's a good cost-benefit analysis of how tropical your poo poo is, how recently you've had problems with malaria, or how much you really don't want to be interrupted by illness right now.

as it stands you have to trade for it, and you objectively get hosed literally every single time you trade right now so you don't want to do it casually. neutroamine is not hugely expensive, but it's also not cheap and unless you're shouldering the additional expense for requesting caravans it doesn't come along every day. you will need to use a lot of it just creating decent medical supplies.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm going to have to build a rehab room because all my alcoholic colonists have such massive alcohol tolerance. It's always sad to see an entire colony hit rock bottom all at the same time. :(

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I don't really have a problem with my colonists becoming alcoholics but what is it with this drat game and its' alcoholic dogs?

I watched as a day old puppy slammed down 5 beers in a row, following the heavy drinking example of momma dog (who I also watched slamming all my booze while preggo)

What the hell guys you have plenty of kibble and I can't apply drug policies to you! I don't want to restrict the dogs from my brewery because they're the hauling linchpin of my entire colony.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

tuyop posted:

Trying this out now, any chance for a steam workshop upload?

Probably not. I feel like that would be implying that I seriously intend to maintain it going forward... which I might, or I might get distracted by some other shiny thing and forget all about it. I don't care if someone else takes it and uploads it, though.

Tristesse posted:

I don't really have a problem with my colonists becoming alcoholics but what is it with this drat game and its' alcoholic dogs?

I watched as a day old puppy slammed down 5 beers in a row, following the heavy drinking example of momma dog (who I also watched slamming all my booze while preggo)

What the hell guys you have plenty of kibble and I can't apply drug policies to you! I don't want to restrict the dogs from my brewery because they're the hauling linchpin of my entire colony.

Animals have literally zero preference for actual food over beer. They'll pick whichever one they happen to be closest to at the time they get hungry. So if you want to keep your animals dry but still hauling your booze, strategically placed kibble stockpiles can make it so they're almost always closer to kibble and thus more likely to eat it than booze it.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Coolguye posted:

as it stands you have to trade for it, and you objectively get hosed literally every single time you trade right now so you don't want to do it casually. neutroamine is not hugely expensive, but it's also not cheap and unless you're shouldering the additional expense for requesting caravans it doesn't come along every day. you will need to use a lot of it just creating decent medical supplies.

You just gotta know how to work the system! Which reminds me, I hadn't gotten around to posting my economics guide here.

Market Value
Many items have a fixed base market value. Most items that either can’t be crafted (e.g. raw materials, artifacts, bionics) or that are crafted but use a fixed set of raw materials (e.g. drugs, TVs, armor, ranged weapons) have a fixed base market value. Meals also have a fixed market value. But most crafted/constructed follow a formula:

Base Market Value = (market value of raw materials) + (Display Work To Make * .24)

Armor vests, kevlar helmets, and miniguns are worth a bit more than they would be according to the market value formula, everything else is worth less. Pila and Greatbows are terrible
(Note: the workToMake values in the XML files have a unit of ticks. The work values displayed in game have a unit of real seconds at 1x speed, equivalent to 60 ticks)

Then actual market value depends on two additional modifiers:

Actual Market Value = Base Market Value * Quality Multiplier * Health factor

Quality MarketValue
Awful: 0.4
Shoddy: 0.6
Poor: 0.8
Normal: 1
Good: 1.2
Superior: 1.5
Excellent: 2.0
Masterwork: 3.0
Legendary: 6

Health factors: (linear relationship in between points)
0% health = 0% market value
30% health = 4% market value
90% health = 100% market value
100% health = 100% market value

And after all that, if the value is above $200.00, the value gets rounded up to five (so $200.01 would be rounded to $205.00)

As some examples:

A ‘Good’ Plasteel Large Sculpture has a market value of $4,835. 135 plasteel * $27 = $3,645, plus 1600 work * $0.24 = $384. $3,645 + $384 = $4029, times 1.2 for ‘Good’ quality = $4,385.

A ‘Masterwork’ Sandstone Large Sculpture has a market value of $3,370. 135 sandstone * $1.9 = $256.5, plus 3600 work * $0.24 = $864. $256.5 + $864 = $1120.5, and then times 3 for ‘Masterwork’ quality = … not $$3361.5, rounded to $3365, but actually $3370. Not quite sure why.

Trader Pricing
The prices traders will actually buy and sell things for is based on more than just the market value!

Buying From Traders

Buy From Trader Price = Actual Market Value * (1 - NegotiatorTradePriceImprovement)
* ItemPriceType * RandomPriceFactor

Actual Market Value is explained above.
NegotiatorTradePriceImprovement is the Trade Price Improvement stat of whichever pawn is performing the trade. It’s 0.1 (or a 10% price reduction) at 20 social skill and 100% talking capacity, a 0.5% price reduction per level of social.
ItemPriceType is a per trader, per item type price multiplier (see table below).
RandomPriceFactor is a per trader visit, per item random price modifier between 90% and 110%.

Item Price Types Multipliers:
Very Cheap: 40%
Cheap: 70%
Normal: 100%
Expensive: 200%
Exorbitant: 500%

In Vanilla, most of traders’ items are Normal or Cheap, with some Expensive. Nothing is Very Cheap or Exorbitant. See a full table of price types for vaguely descriptive categories here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qbNXH1TV-CN9xQZzIU9ISOpr9QrNIvLpmk2W-y6e8hc/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

Selling To Traders
The sell price formula is much more complicated.

Sell To Trader Price = Actual Market Value * Difficulty Sell Price Factor
* Thing Sell Price Factor * (1 + NegotiatorTradePriceImprovement)
* (ItemPriceType - 1) * RandomPriceFactor

Actual Market Value again, is explained above
Difficulty Sell Price Factor The harder the difficulty, the less you get for selling your crap. 70% on base builder, 60% on ‘some challenge’, 55% on Rough and Intense, 47% on Extreme.
Thing Sell Price Factor Apparel and weapons sell for half as much, because gently caress you, that’s why (or maybe so raider corpses don’t make you too rich)
Negotiator Trade Price Improvement same as selling, except in the other direction. 10% sell price increase at 20 social skill and 100% talking, 0.5% increase per level of social.
ItemPriceType - 1 The same as selling, except one worse. If they sell at Expensive, they buy for Normal; Normal becomes Cheap, and Cheap becomes Very Cheap.
RandomPriceFactor is the same as buying, a random per trader visit & item modifier between 90% and 110%.

Additionally, anything that would sell for over 2,000 silver after all those factors has a post-processing curve that reduces the value (down to 50% at 12,000, and then down to 20% at 200,000).

But what does it all mean!? (or tl;dr)
  • Don’t make weapons or clothing to sell, because there’s a hidden gently caress-you-over factor.
  • especially don’t make guns or bows
  • If you want to sell leather or other textiles, make arm chairs or animal beds out them. More traders will buy furniture, even Shoddy items effectively increase the value of the raw materials (your constructor only needs to be skill level 4 to turn a profit), and high level constructors work very fast.
  • If you want to sell minerals (plasteel, gold, uranium, jade), make single beds, stools, animal boxes, or equipment stands, for the same reasons. (unless you have a pawn with a higher art skill and time to spare).
  • And extra don’t make gold/uranium/jade sculptures, because because the high value post-processing will murder your profits.
  • If you want to sell pawn time, make sculptures. (Furniture would be the best, since again, high level constructors get mad speed bonuses, but all vanilla furniture items have a high resource to work ratio). The material doesn’t matter; your pawn’s time is worth the same whether it’s spent making wood, stone, plasteel, or gold statues, so just make it out of whatever you have the most available. Yes, that plasteel statue sells for a poo poo ton, but so would three wood statues and four plasteel beds.
  • For certain resources (plasteel, Neutroamine, and medicine in particular), the trader type significantly impacts the price.
  • Someone should make a mod that shows the random price factor because hand calculating it is tedious as all hell.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 5, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zhentar posted:

Someone should make a mod that shows the random price factor because hand calculating it is tedious as all hell.

I don't know of any real market-y mods this could go in, but you could always ping zorbathehut or cupropanda on the ludeon forums with the info, see if they're interested in doing another one of their tiny tweak mods for it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the annoying thing is, even if you do all these things right, you will still be getting, optimistically, 80% of actual market value for the things you produce, while you will buy everything at 100%+ . making furniture for trade is also insanely tedious, which makes it even more BS that furniture is by far the most efficient way to add value and get trade fodder. even if you exploit trader types you will always be trading at a huge loss, the question is just how much you are losing.

the obnoxious thing is that it is not even that hard to fix it. the usual margin you have is sell at 60%, pay at 100%. each trader has a subset of SELL and BUY items, they buy their BUY items at 120% and sell them at 200%, they sell their SELL items at 75 or 80% and buy them at 20%. combine with the already-planned "only one caravan call per season" change because people are doing poo poo like calling in 50 caravans and then blowing a manhunter whistle and you have a trading system that is at the absolute least easy to understand and objectively useful, instead of the current thing where you basically have to divine what the developers have overlooked in order to not get murdered while bartering.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The "cheap" price type categories sell to you at a base of 70% market value, so you can buy raw materials for well under 100% market value and turn a profit with a high level crafter. But yeah, you can't get rich playing trader.

And FWIW, Tynan agrees with you. He commented on my post "FYI most of this has been heavily refactored and rebalanced for the next alpha. So what you wrote sounds corrent for A15, but A16 will be different and hopefully better balanced and better fed back."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My now level 20 artist has managed to make three excellent stone statues, and a masterpiece one.

All three silver statues I tried to build were normal quality :negative:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Dogs are so good, hauling in peace time, fluffy meat-shields for the times when scary things happen and you have to fight away from your actual defenses. Huskys are the true heroes of my arctic colony right now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao I've had this colony going for literally a single in-game day, in fact, not even a 24 hour period yet, and randy gave all three of my dudes the plague

everyone's dead, gently caress you randy, at least let me get started

e: new colony:

- 2 escape pods and an escaped slave
- thrumbos
- eclipse
- mad animal
- it's day 3

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 6, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a guy at 52% withdrawal since I'm sick of him getting no bonuses from the beer supply. He ended up going on a booze binge without me noticing, taking away the withdrawal effect. Next time I checked, he was sober and his withdrawal was at 51%. So it's good to know you don't lose all your progress if your colonist cheats :v:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Having so many mortars that raids don't even finish preparing before they flee :hellyeah:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

Having so many mortars that raids don't even finish preparing before they flee :hellyeah:

How many mortars is that?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

tuyop posted:

4 will do that in a lot of situations, especially if you've got an incendiary dropped in there so even a near miss can inflict injuries

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
A slightly cheat-y solo tribal->spaceship in 19 days

http://imgur.com/a/mJt2L

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's more than just slightly cheaty, he rerolled the map until he had an ancient danger without mechanoids or badass pirates, a lot of surface steel, plasteel, and machinery, and specifically used a trader bug that the dev has promised to fix in the next alpha

it's an interesting look especially at the power of drugs, but if he had been missing any one of those elements this would have fallen apart spectacularly at one stage or another.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 6, 2016

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

tuyop posted:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Danaru posted:

I had a guy at 52% withdrawal since I'm sick of him getting no bonuses from the beer supply. He ended up going on a booze binge without me noticing, taking away the withdrawal effect. Next time I checked, he was sober and his withdrawal was at 51%. So it's good to know you don't lose all your progress if your colonist cheats :v:

Addictions have a slowly decreasing severity (except for luciferium), and each dose your pawn consumes increases the addiction's severity. For the harder drugs, a single dose is a pretty big setback (like 5-6 days, IIRC), but not so bad for the light stuff. If I've understood everything correctly, you can (slowly) break a smokeleaf dependence while still consuming it every other day, never hitting 100% withdrawal.

Electric Shoes
Oct 21, 2010
Just picked this up recently and am loving it!
It's scratching the Dwarf Fortress itch but with nice graphics and a more laid-back mood.

After a few failed colonies, I'm enjoying the tribal start. It's fun to not worry about power for a while, and just mass mob a group of bow-toting tribesmen at whatever threat gets thrown my way.

The mods look cool, but it seems like a lot of them aren't working right now. A lot of the mods I grabbed are waiting on CCL to update, but the comments make it sound like they're gonna sit out a few builds.
Is this typical whining, or should I just play vanilla until I'm bored and come back to find mods later?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you just got the game, it's better to play on vanilla first anyways.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
There's a lot of mods that no longer need CCL because it's taken so long to update. I just installed like 50+ mods that don't need it however personally I'm waiting for CCL to update before I play again because there's a few mods I love that absolutely need it -- all of Skullywags basically: Extended Storage, which pretty much makes the stack sizes unlimited (if you edit the xml), Thermals Stuffed which allow you to construct higher tiers of thermal reactors, and Roof Bomb... which lets you bomb out roofs under mountains.

edit: actually it looks like the only one that doesn't work with 15 is the Extended Storage mod... which sucks because that's the best one out of all of them

Garfu fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 6, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i really really want combat realism

what the gently caress are the CCL peeps waiting for

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Baloogan posted:

i really really want combat realism

what the gently caress are the CCL peeps waiting for

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16599.msg268159#msg268159

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I think the biggest problem with A15 from A14 CCL was that Tynan overhauled some of the modding systems. Also A15 was released really quickly after A14.

Good news if you bought from Ludeon after the 'no steam keys' fiasco. He has now reinstated giving out steam access to the game, but it will register directly to your account rather than giving out keys.

A16 will include UI scaling, cirrhosis and lung cancer. It will be a big game changing update apparently. There will be other things than those 3 additions.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 6, 2016