Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Thumposaurus posted:

I've had one of these types for years.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HX6HAK6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_F9TMWYAH6ZNJNCAH06DD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It makes quick work of parm if I don't feel like using a microplane.

yeah same

I think this is the type that they use at Olive garden but it does work pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

I. M. Gei posted:

SURELY there is a device that grates an entire rear end wedge of parmesan cheese without making my arm sore as gently caress, right?

Right?

I have one of these. They're common in italy but kinda retro. The base has a suction cup and it uses the nutmeg-style grating drum, so it's closer to powder/grit than planed shavings:

https://www.casalinghishop.com/utensili-cucina/Grattugie-e-affetta-verdure/1795/GRATTUGIA-A-RULLO-MANUALE-FORMAGGIO-.html

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

How do you clean that?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
It unscrews. Just used mine so it needs a clean.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 13, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What is the ideal size of ice cream scoop, in ounces?

Zeroll has several sizes and I can’t pick which one

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

What is the ideal size of ice cream scoop, in ounces?

Zeroll has several sizes and I can’t pick which one

Two scoops, please. Like if you aren’t eating the whole pint then there is something wrong with you.

e: More seriously. Picture a 1/4 cup measure. Is that a reasonable serving of ice cream to you? Yes? 2 oz. Too big? 1.5 oz.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 20, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Is this the thread that spent a full week talking about dishwasher detergent this summer? because there's a fairly hilarious and thoroughly half-assed mea culpa where he more or less admits he has no idea what he's talking about

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

He had the solution wrong (use two pods) but he had the diagnosis right - there is a problem for many folks who use just one pod, on a cycle which uses pre-rinse. His new recommendations are legit and I'm switching to powder as soon as my pods run out :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can someone tl;dr his new recommendations. I tried watching the video but couldn't bring myself to sit through 48 minutes of dishwasher detergent talk

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

He had the solution wrong (use two pods) but he had the diagnosis right - there is a problem for many folks who use just one pod, on a cycle which uses pre-rinse. His new recommendations are legit and I'm switching to powder as soon as my pods run out :shrug:

I have never filled the pre-wash thingy in my landlord special dishwasher (or any other dishwasher i've ever used) and I have never had problems unless my dishwasher is extremely crowded, in which case pre-wash doesn't help. I use pods because they have enzymes and the only time there are any food particles left after the wash is if i overload the chamber or have stuff pointed upwards or something similarly dumb.

I rewatched the first video and he tests the pre-wash with and without detergent, but he doesn't test (or doesn't show) the results after the full cycle, which is all anyone should care about. Detergent in the pre-wash is unnecessary in all but the most heavily soiled washes. Also he doesn't understand that sodium silicate is an abrasive.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
what dishwasher detergent should I use when I'm running my cast iron pans through?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wait so if I have hard water I should still fill the detergent pocket all the way?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

prom candy posted:

what dishwasher detergent should I use when I'm running my cast iron pans through?

Same as when you run your wooden cutting boards and utensils, but not the one you use for your custom Japanese knives.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

hypnophant posted:

I have never filled the pre-wash thingy in my landlord special dishwasher (or any other dishwasher i've ever used) and I have never had problems unless my dishwasher is extremely crowded, in which case pre-wash doesn't help. I use pods because they have enzymes and the only time there are any food particles left after the wash is if i overload the chamber or have stuff pointed upwards or something similarly dumb.

I rewatched the first video and he tests the pre-wash with and without detergent, but he doesn't test (or doesn't show) the results after the full cycle, which is all anyone should care about. Detergent in the pre-wash is unnecessary in all but the most heavily soiled washes. Also he doesn't understand that sodium silicate is an abrasive.

Powder has enzymes too. He acknowledged the issue with his earlier test.

Vegetable posted:

Can someone tl;dr his new recommendations. I tried watching the video but couldn't bring myself to sit through 48 minutes of dishwasher detergent talk

• Pods contain more detergent dose than most people need
  • The harder your water, the more detergent you need.
  • The more full & soiled your dishwasher is, the more detergent you need.
  • So if you have hard water, or only run it very full, pods may work well for you
  • Pods are inflexible so you can't adjust your dose for smaller loads
  • Dosing too high leaves residue on your dishes and can damage aluminum pans (can happen with pods if you have soft water, or with powder if you overdose)
  • If you use eco-modes, you don't need to fill the pre-rinse reservoir
  • The 4 chemicals which are in pods but not powder aren't game changers
  • Gels can't have both bleach and enzymes, so are a little worse generalists than either pods or powders
  • Pods cost 3x more at the low end and up to 5x more per load, and have lots of plastic waste associated

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well poo poo why did I switch to gel

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

He admitted gels are better than powders if your dishes block the detergent gate from opening, or if the gasket on the detergent gate doesn't seal so the water leaks in & cakes up your powder.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

Powder has enzymes too. He acknowledged the issue with his earlier test.

• Pods contain more detergent dose than most people need
  • The harder your water, the more detergent you need.
  • The more full & soiled your dishwasher is, the more detergent you need.
  • So if you have hard water, or only run it very full, pods may work well for you
  • Pods are inflexible so you can't adjust your dose for smaller loads
  • Dosing too high leaves residue on your dishes and can damage aluminum pans (can happen with pods if you have soft water, or with powder if you overdose)
  • If you use eco-modes, you don't need to fill the pre-rinse reservoir
  • The 4 chemicals which are in pods but not powder aren't game changers
  • Gels can't have both bleach and enzymes, so are a little worse generalists than either pods or powders
  • Pods cost 3x more at the low end and up to 5x more per load, and have lots of plastic waste associated

I truly don’t think any of the things he talks about make much difference. Unlike traditional detergents, enzymes aren’t “used up” by breaking down food material, so it doesn’t make sense to increase the dose for dirtier dishes. (What could make a difference is giving the enzymes more time to work, either by using a longer cycle or adding enzyme to the prewash.) I’ve got the softest water imaginable in nyc and have not had any problems with leftover residue at the end of a cycle. The heat of a dishwasher cycle will damage aluminum pans no matter how much detergent you use, and adding detergent in the prewash isn’t necessary to get your dishes clean most of the time. I agree that pods don’t clean better but i still use them for the convenience, and the added cost isn’t enough for me to care about. Also he doesn’t talk about the one thing that makes the biggest difference to how your dishwasher cleans, which is making sure the dishes are separated and the dirty parts are pointed at the sprayers. That’s my real pet peeve with the video.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think my dishwasher manual has a chart telling you how much detergent to use based on the hardness of your water (in grains/gallon). If you have water utility they usually publish the hardness. This random manual has it on page 9: https://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=49-4000218-1.pdf and says to use the prewash when the hardness is over 12 grains/gal. Or if it's extra dirty.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I dunno, we don't have hard water but we went from having a greasy residue and baked-on food on our dishes half the time after a complete cycle with tabs to functionally 100% perfect every time filling the prewash thing with gel.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In conclusion, dishwashers are a land of contrasts

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Sauteuse Oven, 3.5 qt, Flame, $179

https://www.amazon.com/Creuset-Enam...ef_=as_li_ss_tl

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
oh, interesting. I've been running a compete sanitizing cycle with two pods every time... powder hadn't worked nearly as well. I'll check it out. soft water here.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

torgeaux posted:

Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Sauteuse Oven, 3.5 qt, Flame, $179

https://www.amazon.com/Creuset-Enam...ef_=as_li_ss_tl
dammit it's always the smaller ones that go on sale.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How is it on sale? Camelcamelcamel says it's been at that price for months

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not at all regretting buying the bigger red Sox logo one that was on sale before. The logo is barely noticeable and I've already gotten a ton of use out of it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Re: pepper mills I think I know what search string leads you most directly to this photo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Re: pepper mills I think I know what search string leads you most directly to this photo

Is it "What pepper mill do I buy to compensate for the world's smallest penis"?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I have used that peppermill. It's finicky but it works alright.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have used that peppermill. It's finicky but it works alright.

My wife's response to this was

"wait, it's for real? It's not just a table leg?"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

My wife's response to this was

"wait, it's for real? It's not just a table leg?"

That's weird. She said the same thing to me last night.

It's 2AM and I've been working for 16 hours and I've been reduced to the mental state of a 12 year old send help

mystes
May 31, 2006

After finally getting a kitchenaid stand mixer a while ago, I decided to splurge on the name brand pasta roller/cutter attachment rather than getting a knockoff.

I had a hand cranked pasta maker a while ago that I ended up getting rid of when I moved, but man the kitchen aid attachment works so well. I made some ravioli for dinner today (specifically this: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/gorgonzola-butternut-squash-ravioli-51556041) and it was amazing and now i just want to eat nothing but fresh pasta/ravioli, lol.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It works really well as long as your dough is perfect in my experience. If it's slightly too dry it's easy to burn the motor out.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Going to the stand mixer attachment from the hand cranked roller was a game changer. But it can end up being a crutch for making mediocre dough.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Maybe my kitchenaid roller is busted or my recipe is (I use the one from SeriousEats) but my dough tears using the kitchenaid attachment when it never had such problems with my hand cranked Atlas.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am gift-shopping for my nephew who likes to cook, I consulted his girlfriend and he has mentioned wanting a salt cellar. I don't own one but have previously gifted a wooden Crate & Barrel one with a swivel lid and magnet to my mother-in-law, so I would like to get a different one; I also found the magnet fell out of that one within a week, so I am skeptical of that design generally, which a lot of similar looking ones have. Seeking recommendations. My criteria are as follows:

• This is part of a holiday gift exchange in which each person is assigned one person to give a gift. We are supposed to stick to a budget of about $25. So far the one I like is $35 and I am hoping to convince my wife to get it anyway unless someone has a better suggestion.
  • Must have a lid, and that lid must be attached and fit well enough to keep salt from clumping and other stuff from getting in. So nothing with a spoon that goes through the lid -- don't need a spoon at all etc.
  • Must be open-able with one hand. There are some weird reviews on some of them where they have a handle and they want to be able to hold the handle and open the lid with the same thumb; I do not care about that, I assume the salt cellar will stay on the counter, but I do want the lid to be secured in some way so that with one hand he can open the lid without it falling off, then reach in and get some salt, then close it. This is based on what I would want in a salt cellar, since sometimes you don't have two hands free. I do not particularly care what the mechanism is, but so far all the ones I've seen with attached lids are either a swivel or a hinged door.

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.

I just got this one and really like it. Good size, seems sturdy.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I was gifted the same type salt cellar Alton Brown used on Good Eats a dozen years ago. It’s been great, one hand, flip lid, god size and etc…

If you search Amazon for “Alton Brown Salt Cellar” there are a bunch of knock offs. I’m sure one of them is probably good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you run air conditioning, and you cook every other day or so, you don't need a lid to avoid clumping FYI. 7 years in Tallahassee which has an average morning humidity of 90%, and no issue :)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've been meaning to make myself a salt pig for years but I keep just using the box like a loving animal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I just use a delitainer. Lid comes off when I start cooking, goes back on when I'm done, delitainer lives in the cabinet when not in use.