Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

We are never gonna get rid of the UK, aren't we? :(

Out! Out! Damned Brit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Thank you, UK, for shooting every European countries in the knee, devaluating the Euro and the Pound over your fear of polish people, energizing the far rights and then panicking when the foreign banks started of talking about leaving you and then suddentlyu politely saying "Oh sorry, my bad, it was a mistake, i want to stay now". That was totally worth it.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Toplowtech posted:

Thank you, UK, for shooting every European countries in the knee, devaluating the Euro and the Pound over your fear of polish people, energizing the far rights and then panicking when the foreign banks started of talking about leaving you and then suddentlyu politely saying "Oh sorry, my bad, it was a mistake, i want to stay now". That was totally worth it.
Can we not do a reverse empty chair crisis by just refusing to invite Britain to anything anymore? Most of the stuff is majority rather than unanimity now and their conspicuous absence in Slovakia was already noted.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Hambilderberglar posted:

Can we not do a reverse empty chair crisis by just refusing to invite Britain to anything anymore? Most of the stuff is majority rather than unanimity now and their conspicuous absence in Slovakia was already noted.
It would open so many :can: from a legal standpoint. Also it would be kinda dickish to do that to poor hyper-confused-i--can't-take-a-decision UK. :jerkbag:

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Toplowtech posted:

and then suddentlyu politely saying "Oh sorry, my bad, it was a mistake, i want to stay now". That was totally worth it.

You don't understand British humor at all

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

You don't understand British humor at all
No, i get it's hilarious for the rest of the world. We just never asked for this brilliant joke at our expanse. Also i am French and we accepted UK entry in a referendum in the 70s so it's going to be our fault all over again. “Depuis Adam se laissant enlever une côte jusqu'à Napoléon attendant Grouchy, toutes les grandes affaires qui ont foiré étaient basées sur la confiance.”

vvvv Also i am sure it will fix the deficit in confidence of the English people toward its politicians.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 3, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If this kills Brexit it's going to be loving amazing. Talk about just completely blowing all your diplomatic capital and making yourself the laughingstock of the world.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress that, leave means leave. :argh:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

YF-23 posted:

If this kills Brexit it's going to be loving amazing. Talk about just completely blowing all your diplomatic capital and making yourself the laughingstock of the world.

You mean they weren't already?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I think a lot of people outside Europe did not realize the magnitude of the problem, at the least.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

YF-23 posted:

Well, we decided that if we were going to be a laughing stock then by jove, Grate Britane would be the biggest laughing stock in the world, we could settle for nothing less.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

In other (French) news, major newspaper Le Monde is currently pushing the story about how Sarkozy's 2007 campaign was probably partly financed by Gaddafi and Libya. They've had access to the investigation files and while there's no damning concrete evidence, there are lots of small elements that once put together paint a pretty explicit picture.

But facts are useless and this rear end in a top hat won't lose any support from his rabid base (Juppé is still gonna trounce him).

Also Renaud (the singer) is still alive and his current tour is p. cool. He sings like poo poo but the crowd is good.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

It's a terrible place and ran by a cabal of paedophile cannibals but there are worse places. Such as inside a volcano or a toilet full of poop. We count our selves lucky everyday we haven't fallen to those levels.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yes; let that clown car comes to the European Court of Justice.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If parliament annuls a popular referendum you can be sure the clusterfuck that is this whole thing will only grow bigger.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

YF-23 posted:

If parliament annuls a popular referendum you can be sure the clusterfuck that is this whole thing will only grow bigger.

Since when have the results of popular consultations in re: the EU ever mattered?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Because no one in the EU wants to go through this poo poo all over again in 10 years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

War? The world pre-ww1 was about as globalized as todays according to some economists and that sure got killed fast, this was in finnish economists Christer Lindholms book on the myth of globalization cannot be stopped, is a force of nature etc. It's not, it's a distinct set of treaties that needed to be brought into existence, which happened in the 90s. Remember all those anti globalization demonstrations back then, I do, this was what it was about.

Those "some economists" are either retarded, or you only read some popular interpretation on par with "Romans invented globalization because there are Roman glass vases in Korea"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

I've never known a people to be as insanely xenophobic as the Brits. There are quite a few Poles in Belgium, maybe not as many as in Britain even proportionally, but still a respectable number. I've never heard anyone talk poo poo about them specifically.

If they don't want them we should let them come over here. Balts too (hot chicks get moved to the front of the queue).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I've never known a people to be as insanely xenophobic as the Brits. There are quite a few Poles in Belgium, maybe not as many as in Britain even proportionally, but still a respectable number. I've never heard anyone talk poo poo about them specifically.
A decade back, the french anti went full "THE POLISH PLUMBERS will steal our french jobs" during the EU constitution referendum, it was quite stupid and the following years i had to read how england got a full 1% growth thanks to the polish migrantion there (instead of France) because RACISM(when it was more about France lack of attraction on the market/job side versus england for migrants if you ask me but whatever). Honestly i know my immigration history of France and i wasn't surprised, the golden rule is always target someone not from here and say they STEAL UR JEBS, even if it makes historically or culturally no sense.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 3, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ardennes posted:

I don't know how successful it is in the states looking at the current Democratic Party. The Democratic Party has been shred at the local/state level and it isn't doing so well at the federal level either. (I am taking this as literal considering this forum.)
Isn't that more due to structural issues than the will of the voters? Like, the system favors low population states full of Republicans, and even in states where the population is more balanced, gerrymandering has ensured a Republican grip on power which they then use to suppress minority voters, further entrenching their power.

Phlegmish posted:

If they don't want them we should let them come over here. Balts too (hot chicks get moved to the front of the queue).
Ironically, the Brits have already considered this solution.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

steinrokkan posted:

Those "some economists" are either retarded, or you only read some popular interpretation on par with "Romans invented globalization because there are Roman glass vases in Korea"

No u

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Did you not listen to the deathbed prophecy of the Finnish Prime Minister at all?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Toplowtech posted:

Yes; let that clown car comes to the European Court of Justice.

This is hilarious because I don't think the Court of Justice could really intervene here. Their case would most likely result in a polite "The procedure to trigger article 50 is not set out in the Treaties and thus up to every Member State to decide individually, in accordance with their internal laws" to get them to gently caress off.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Indeed, the only thing they could rule on would be to determine whether A50 notification is reversible or not. Both parties in the case take the position that it isn't, so there's no need to refer that question the CJEU.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Phlegmish posted:

I've never known a people to be as insanely xenophobic as the Brits.

A while back I remember reading a thing a Finnish reporter wrote about the rising xenophobia in Britain and how she was verbally accosted for being "Polish" because of her accent. It was truly shocking to be accused of being a slav!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

australians?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NTcndxuwOA

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phlegmish posted:

Corsicans are pretty awful, from the anecdotal evidence I have. (As in having bouncers tell you "you can't go inside, not with your black friend" in multiple places.)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Isn't that more due to structural issues than the will of the voters? Like, the system favors low population states full of Republicans, and even in states where the population is more balanced, gerrymandering has ensured a Republican grip on power which they then use to suppress minority voters, further entrenching their power.

It is part of it, but at the same time Republicans have been able to take over state/local governments in areas that were almost entirely Democratic (especially the Midwest/Rustbelt).

The fact that Trump has a real shot at winning at this point speaks to that decay (even with a electoral map that presumably favors Democrats).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 3, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

YF-23 posted:

And then the Brexit idiots are going to vote all the people who nullified the referendum right back in, because they barely think at the polls.

Perhaps it should be a big deal, but it won't be. I'm sure Thatcher Junior there is going to find a scary boogeyman to distract attention.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A bigger part of why Trump has a chance is that Hilary is widely hated, considered corrupt and part of the establishment, and is under FBI investigation.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

Perhaps it should be a big deal, but it won't be. I'm sure Thatcher Junior there is going to find a scary boogeyman to distract attention.
What's Mauricio Macri's position on the Falkland Islands?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

marci is a bootlicking neoliberal who probably worships thatcher

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

doverhog posted:

A bigger part of why Trump has a chance is that Hilary is widely hated, considered corrupt and part of the establishment, and is under FBI investigation.

Isn't "part of the establishment" more or less the same thing as the issue being mentioned? Trump uses trade policy in his speeches at lot and it has always found resonance.

Also the Democrats are struggling across the map, I think it is fair to say there is more than going on.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Sure, but Trump specifically has a chance despite all the poo poo he has on him because Hillary is seen as being terrible also.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

doverhog posted:

Sure, but Trump specifically has a chance despite all the poo poo he has on him because Hillary is seen as being terrible also.

The issue is that he is even in a range of a victory at this point, a big part of it has to be "third-way" turn the Democrats did. Trump is more scandal ridden than any candidate in history and Hillary's scandals helped him quite a bit but there is a question of how even got into the race in the first place.

I think the Democrats are supported by the fact there are no other parties them to challenge their dominance of the political spectrum from the center to the left, but the outcome has been disinterest and apathy by much of the electorate. It is also why Bernie Sanders, a relative no-body, gave Hillary a serious run for her money.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

In a parliamentary sense, Imagine the Democratic and Republican parties as quasi-permanent coalitions of parties and you will be more accurate. There's a reason why TechnicallyNOTademocrat Bernie Sanders was even able to run for the nomination in the first place - noone even batted an eye about that.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In a parliamentary sense, Imagine the Democratic and Republican parties as quasi-permanent coalitions of parties and you will be more accurate. There's a reason why TechnicallyNOTademocrat Bernie Sanders was even able to run for the nomination in the first place - noone even batted an eye about that.

In that context, it is very clear that the "extremes" of both parties/coalition are becoming more dominant but ultimately the Democrats kept a much tighter lid on their side (maybe to their own detriment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Sanders was able to run but he was sabotaged by the DNC at every turn, as the email leaks have revealed. It's part of why people, many of them Democrats, hate Hillary.