Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man, thanks for posting these. Were machine gun teams really nine people? Also I didn't realize that the P-40 was this important, you barely read anything about it nowadays.

That direct P-40 vs Zero comparison reads like it's lifted from The Donald's twitter. "Light inefficient armament. Thin skin that can't take it. Sad!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

bewbies posted:

"Ideas", Planes, and radios. The comparison of the Zero and the P-40 is my favorite thing. "Flies like a baby carriage" vs "Hard to fly"
http://imgur.com/a/pVtF5

I'm just amazed people are mentioning the P-40, it's not like it was a standout plane at anything. Didn't the US have wildcats/hellcats they could rave about?

efb

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The P-40 was overshadowed later in the war by the Mustang and Thunderbolt, but it was a pretty good fighter for its time and saw widespread use in the US, UK, Soviet Union, and probably a dozen other places.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

bewbies posted:

Finally, the back page ads on all 4 magazines:
http://imgur.com/a/Y9qsC

....seems about right.

I got the urge to smoke a smooth Chesterfield brand cigarette.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The P-40 is cool and good and nobody should ever speak ill of it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

I got the urge to smoke a smooth Chesterfield brand cigarette.

i smoked unfiltered luckies in high school because i thought that made me cool

chances are, it did not

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

aphid_licker posted:

Were machine gun teams really nine people?

A machinegun is no good without loads of ammunition, you need manpower to bring the ammo boxes with you. Applies to most heavy weapons, ammo has no legs of its own so the crew needs to be bigger than the minimum required to manhandle the weapon system itself.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 24, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The P-40 is cool and good and nobody should ever speak ill of it.
Aesthetically it might be my favorite WWII fighter. The enormous propellor bulb and giant air intake give it a super burly look, like a flying muscle car. The shark mouth ones are rad as hell too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

david_a posted:

Aesthetically it might be my favorite WWII fighter. The enormous propellor bulb and giant air intake give it a super burly look, like a flying muscle car. The shark mouth ones are rad as hell too.

Its also got so much Dakka! :orks101:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

david_a posted:

it's exactly that propeller bulb that gives it an ungainly look to me, sorry bro

zeros or shrikes or other cute planes for me

edit: weirdly enough, i loving love the warthog, so this is probably totally arbitrary

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

That direct P-40 vs Zero comparison reads like it's lifted from The Donald's twitter. "Light inefficient armament. Thin skin that can't take it. Sad!"

I don't know why I keep laughing at this

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GAL posted:

it's exactly that propeller bulb that gives it an ungainly look to me, sorry bro

edit: weirdly enough, i loving love the warthog, so this is probably totally arbitrary

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

What's your opinion on the chaika?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

spectralent posted:

What's your opinion on the chaika?

:neckbeard:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Brought to you by Mountain Dew

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Peashooter is frickin adorable and apparently had a wide variety of absolutely ssssssmoking paintjobs.

e: okay just how much Pervitin were the designers of the Ju 287 on

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 24, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
never seen a ww2 paintjob i don't love

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
The Soviets had some memorable paintjobs:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I love old magazines - I have a Life Magazine fetish I'm still working through. Reading through WW2 from the perspective of Life is P. Cool. As are the ads:

Picture: Santa Claus with an M1

Text: Hi, we're Connecticut silverware and brass. You can't buy our fine silverware or brass works this Christmas because we're building shells for Uncle Sam. SEE YOU AFTER THE WAR

Not to knock the awesome find, mr. Bewbies, but popular science, like Life, has its entire run on Google Books.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Most likely a bs camo pattern, but a source on this would be :allears:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 24, 2016

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
The Lavochkin 5, 7, and 9 are the handsomest planes don't @ me

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The Lavochkin 5, 7, and 9 are the handsomest planes don't @ me

:yeah:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

I had all those in German and they def helped make me the total weirdo I am today. Can't believe someone else remembers them.

Stumbled across the comic years ago, thought 'hey that is kind of neat! hope they translate them!'

Several years pass, creator passes on and I forget about the drat thing until somebody uploads the cartoon up on YouTube. I watch them and enjoy the more old school visual based soldier jokes despite not understanding a word of pseudo German Italian speak.

I then made the mistake watching the live action movies. Brrr.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Italians had the best comics/cartoons.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

holy poo poo, a militarized Gee Bee Sportster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you can fly those in war thunder, that whole game is pretty hilarious because by the time everyone else has a typical looking WW2 plane the russians are still doing loops in what look like cartoon biplanes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kinda funny considering the I-16 was the first operational fighter with the classic low-wing, retractable gear, monoplane look.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HEY GAL posted:

me irl

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I think you can fly those in war thunder, that whole game is pretty hilarious because by the time everyone else has a typical looking WW2 plane the russians are still doing loops in what look like cartoon biplanes.

They are vicious bastards in that game too.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Mil Hist squad, I need your help. 13 year old nephew needs a book for Christmas. He loves WWII, tanks, and building models of WWII tanks. Any ideas of what would be a good book for the guy?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

"My Tank is Fight"?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Smiling Knight posted:

Mil Hist squad, I need your help. 13 year old nephew needs a book for Christmas. He loves WWII, tanks, and building models of WWII tanks. Any ideas of what would be a good book for the guy?

Something to prevent wherabooism asap.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Would "Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1941-1942: Schwerpunkt" be age inappropriate?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
To be quite honest I'm not sure how much I'd want kids to be interested in war, especially in this current political environment.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

by the time everyone else has a typical looking WW2 plane the russians are still doing loops in what look like cartoon biplanes.

So it's pretty accurate then?

Thing is the I-153 Chaika set a speed record for land-based biplanes which still stands (275mph at altitude). I have a strange fascination with the 'biplane hangover' in WW2, ever since seeing the RAF Museum's Fiat CR42 in the Battle of Britain Hall. You wander round it's all "Spitfire...Hurricane...Bf109...Ju87...Defiant...Bf110...." and then at the back there's a taildragger radial-engined open cockpit biplane and you realise that people actually went up to fight Spitfires in these things!

I've always liked the strange mix of old and new tech in the last generation of the biplane fighters. The Chaika has retractable undercarriage, the Gloster Gladiator and the Avia B-534 had enclosed cockpits and the Avia also had a V12 engine. And of course the Gladiator and the CR42 had a few good scraps in the Mediterranean and North Africa, plus the Finnish Glads put up a good fight against the USSR's I-16s in the Winter War. The Chaikas and the CR42 duelled on the Eastern Front while the B-534 and the Fiat CR32 fought it out in the Slovak-Hungarian War too.

And the Canadians, bless 'em, had the last laugh, getting CC&F to build an all-metal, bracing-wire-free, retractable-undercarriage, closed-cockpit, 700hp....biplane....in 1938. It's like something out of Crimson Skies:

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/445/The-Last-of-the-Biplane-Fighters.aspx

It's just the last ditch attempt to keep what, up to then, had been the definitive style of single-seat fighter on a technological par that I find so interesting. The biplane had numerous well-understood tactical advantages and watching some air forces (the Italians especially - they crammed the engine from a Bf109 into the front of a CR42 to make it do over 320mph!) find ways of giving monoplane performance with biplane advantages, or to just desperately cling to the old ways (in the case of the Soviets, a love of open cockpits for 'pilot sensitivity' reasons) is just :allears:

Oh, and the P-40 both looks and is awesome :colbert:

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 25, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Y'know its a good question. I'd suggest maybe a year's subscription to AFV monthly? Finding a book on tanks that is general, factual, but not "You've most of your way through a history undergrad" weighty is difficult.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/tanks-of-the-second-world/9781473859326-item.html?ikwid=Tanks&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=34

?

Thread, this is coming out soon:

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/for-want-of-a-gun/9780764352508-item.html?ikwid=Tanks&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=3

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SeanBeansShako posted:

They are vicious bastards in that game too.

gently caress, the Chaika in that game was a murderbeast. Other planes still done up with bunch of wood stringers and stuff and the Chaika rolls in with something like 8 machineguns blazing away at something like 1000rpm each on a platform still fully as maneuverable as the earlier biplanes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Smiling Knight posted:

The Encyclopedia of Tanks and Armored Fighting Vehicles: The Comprehensive Guide to Over 900 Armored Fighting Vehicles from 1915 to the Present Day by Chris F. Foss

Literally any Panzerwrecks volume, if he likes German stuff, or dead German stuff.

Images of War has a large selection of books, with a few dedicated to "Armoured Warfare". They are good, if factually incorrect at times.

Want a book on a specific series of tanks? Armor in Action has a large selection of stuff that goes into a lot of detail for whatever tank is the subject. It does sacrifice excruciating detail you may find elsewhere for larger/more photos Note: Depends heavily on age/date of production of the volume. (Goes well when paired with a model ;) )

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Smiling Knight posted:

Ordinary men.

What