Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Floob posted:

Now I'm curious because that's been standard on any game I play windowed, and switch out to change a play list or something. I just assumed it was a Windows 10 thing.

Many games either pause or slow down when the focus is off of them. Sometimes they just minimize which is rather annoying on multiple monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I'm probably going to pick up the Grissom because I love the derpy little Oberth, but the Clarke does nothing for me.

Oh the Clarke does nothing for me as the Clarke, but I'm tempted to pick one up because it can be skinned to be the Miranda but a command battlecruiser with a hanger.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Make sure to roll a Gamma recruit next week (starting after reset on the 24th) even if you're not going to level them right now. Some of their recruitment rewards are really good, including a gold-quality DOff that's a flat damage bonus (slot into your ground roster).

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 18, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

To be clear, the damage bonus applies to both ground and space regardless of where it is slotted

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Which IIRC works with any of the damage boost DOffs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Note that it's also something you're going to have to grind for a while. It's a LOT of doff'ing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I made one a week or two ago and just got it to level 62 last night. Do I have to make a new one for these rewards?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

CainFortea posted:

I made one a week or two ago and just got it to level 62 last night. Do I have to make a new one for these rewards?

You would indeed need to make a new one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Stats on the new boats.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

Make sure to roll a Gamma recruit next week (starting after reset on the 24th) even if you're not going to level them right now. Some of their recruitment rewards are really good, including a gold-quality DOff that's a flat damage bonus (slot into your ground roster).

If I bought the Gamma starter pack, would that work for that?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
No. You have to start a new character during the recruitment event, and get through the tutorial. There's a special item you get when you finish the tutorial that keys you track and collect the recruitment rewards.

There's no way to short-cut or buy out the tasks. Only new characters created (and completing the tutorial) during the recruitment event window can make progress on the tasks.

Once you have the gamma radio item, you can take however long you want to finish the tasks. I still have some outstanding tasks from the TOS recruitment event however many years ago that was.

ETA: Cryptic normally grants a new character slot during recruitment events. That's probably why the current character slot problem has popped up this week.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

No. You have to start a new character during the recruitment event, and get through the tutorial. There's a special item you get when you finish the tutorial that keys you track and collect the recruitment rewards.

There's no way to short-cut or buy out the tasks. Only new characters created (and completing the tutorial) during the recruitment event window can make progress on the tasks.

Once you have the gamma radio item, you can take however long you want to finish the tasks. I still have some outstanding tasks from the TOS recruitment event however many years ago that was.

ETA: Cryptic normally grants a new character slot during recruitment events. That's probably why the current character slot problem has popped up this week.

They haven't been for the reruns I don't think. I didn't get an extra with the Delta rerun, I'm not even sure I got one with the KDF recruitment either.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think those extra slots are filled into the base 9 now?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

That could be. Once they confirmed that there wasn't a difference between an OG recruit and a rerun recruit, I pretty much ignored the last recruit rerun. I'm completely stockholmed into this tire fire of a game and thus have all the recruits already unlocked.

The original point stands: You only get the (pretty powerful) bonuses if you create a character and play up to getting the Dominion Transponder. Once that's unlocked, you can take as much time as you want to finish up the recruit tasks.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

On the subject of gamma recruit stuff, it's really weird to me how there is no vorta race for dominion, just jem hadar and jem'hadar but 6$ better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hooray for a completely all-male faction. :(

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

That could be. Once they confirmed that there wasn't a difference between an OG recruit and a rerun recruit, I pretty much ignored the last recruit rerun. I'm completely stockholmed into this tire fire of a game and thus have all the recruits already unlocked.

The original point stands: You only get the (pretty powerful) bonuses if you create a character and play up to getting the Dominion Transponder. Once that's unlocked, you can take as much time as you want to finish up the recruit tasks.
They're not completely identical, cryptic has been updating the old recruit objectives and rewards a little. But you can do all the new stuff with an old recruit, so there's no need to make more recruits if you already have one.

Eimi posted:

On the subject of gamma recruit stuff, it's really weird to me how there is no vorta race for dominion, just jem hadar and jem'hadar but 6$ better.
Those $6 JH are great for a new account that wants rep gear. They auto-sponsor the majority of the reps in the game. Cuts way down on grind time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

g0del posted:

Those $6 JH are great for a new account that wants rep gear. They auto-sponsor the majority of the reps in the game. Cuts way down on grind time.

So the fancy version of jemhadar come with the sponsorship thing fully enabled? Nice, sounds like a good deal.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How far along is Starfleet Dental and Nerds of Prey on the Colony World?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
NoP is done with it, iirc, but I haven’t checked in years.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah they've both been done for ages.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SplitSoul posted:

How far along is Starfleet Dental and Nerds of Prey on the Colony World?

Both fleets maxed out those not long after each one came out.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody willing to invite @draeth84 and @belenul for Starfleet Dental?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Hooray for a completely all-male faction. :(

The part of me that wants to see more diverse representation in video games and thinks people should be able to make whatever fantasy space avatar they want 100% agrees.

The part of me that just had to wade through suspiciously child sized anime waifu aliens and bikini wearing Orion’s to check the exchange on drozana would be ok if they made everyone play as a fat, male Klingon. Or a Horta. Whatever.

Fake edit: years back someone made a comment about getting salty DMs in game because their female Orion wasn’t dressed sexy so I rolled one. Gave her a sensible haircut and body armor. She looks pretty awesome tbf.

Twice I’ve gotten those weird DMs, and she’s just a dill farmer. People will apparently get weird and mad if you aren’t showing enough digital green cleavage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Trek Online: completely stockholmed by this tire fire of a game

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

So the fancy version of jemhadar come with the sponsorship thing fully enabled? Nice, sounds like a good deal.
All except Gamma and Disco. Which kind of sucks, because a lot of good gear is in the Disco rep. But it still saves weeks on all the rest of the reps.

SplitSoul posted:

Anybody willing to invite @draeth84 and @belenul for Starfleet Dental?
Fleet invites are per char, not per account. Hopefully someone in here who has channel permissions will invite you to TheNextGooneration. Once you get into that channel, ask in chat and if anyone is on you'll get an invite.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

g0del posted:

Fleet invites are per char, not per account. Hopefully someone in here who has channel permissions will invite you to TheNextGooneration. Once you get into that channel, ask in chat and if anyone is on you'll get an invite.

Ah, gotcha. Only play on one so mine is Draxxan@draeth84, I'll have to check with my friend in the morning for his, otherwise the channel invite would be cool.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

On my delta recruit, I skipped ahead and did missions out of order to get the device for my main first. For other story arcs this didn't cause a problem, but given I've just completed every delta mission (ie. everything has a replay button on instead of hail), I don't have credit for playing through that story arc. Should I replay the last mission again? How do I get the game to recognize I did do it? Or am I hosed on this char because :cryptic:?

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sorry, I worded my question terribly. Would that starter pack get me access to a Gamma character, or does everyone get access to them by default?

Edit: Disregard all, I'm a dumb.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Behotti posted:

Sorry, I worded my question terribly. Would that starter pack get me access to a Gamma character, or does everyone get access to them by default?

That actually is a good question. Dominion captains start at level 60, but I don't think there's anything you have to do to unlock the basic captains.

There are also Jem'Hadar Vanguards which is technically a "species" distinct from the base Jem'Hadar. You get access to the "Vanguard" species with the Gamma c-store packs.

For the recruitment event, either Base or Vanguard works. The other recruitment events all work like that (so far): You can pick any species within the recruiting faction. All they really care about is pumping numbers in the faction. The only reason my Klingon Recruitment event character isn't a Talaxian is because I already had a Klingon Talaxian, and they added new space barbie options for Discovery Klingons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek Online: completely stockholmed by this tire fire of a game

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Are the Gamma event unlocks all doable on one character or do you need to complete faction-exclusive content from multiple factions like with Delta?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

They're all doable on one character, but the character has to be a NEW Jem'Hadar captain. JH Captains can ONLY be part of the Dominion.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

On my delta recruit, I skipped ahead and did missions out of order to get the device for my main first. For other story arcs this didn't cause a problem, but given I've just completed every delta mission (ie. everything has a replay button on instead of hail), I don't have credit for playing through that story arc. Should I replay the last mission again? How do I get the game to recognize I did do it? Or am I hosed on this char because :cryptic:?
It's not as clear as it should be, but you need to complete all the kobalistan missions before the Delta arc unlocks. For some reason that wasn't required for KDF recruits but is for the updated Delta recruits.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

g0del posted:

It's not as clear as it should be, but you need to complete all the kobalistan missions before the Delta arc unlocks. For some reason that wasn't required for KDF recruits but is for the updated Delta recruits.

:negative: drat ground combat. Though aside from that Delta's way better than Klingon....once I force myself through that it' just admirality 10 which is only a matter of time, meanwhile drat Klank still has a mountain of poo poo to slog through.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
What’s the best way to grind dill on alts now? Admiralty using small craft to blow off anything that doesn’t award dill?

Also queues seem to have more sophisticated afk detection, I can’t just shoot a bit at the start and then afk.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

wdarkk posted:

What’s the best way to grind dill on alts now? Admiralty using small craft to blow off anything that doesn’t award dill?

Also queues seem to have more sophisticated afk detection, I can’t just shoot a bit at the start and then afk.

More or less that.

Some queues are better at afk detection than others. To Hell with Honor you just jet forward, blow up ships at the first yard and that works. Defense of Starbase One you can just cloak and gently caress off and it'll finish on its own.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

Contraband and admiralty. Contraband alone is by far the most time efficient, but unless you feel like making lots of accounts the max dil you can earn is limited since it's only 2k per day. If you do admiralty, you want to concentrate on hitting the ferengi ToD daily - it no longer directly rewards dil, but does give a useful dil boost. If you've got enough good admiralty cards you can pretty easily make 5-6k per day doing that. If you can build up a reserve of unrefined dil without too much effort, that will keep you refining 8k per day on that alt for a long time.

You should note that this is time-consuming, and earns zen slower than working even a minimum wage job and just buying zen directly. Don't let yourself get into the trap of turning the game into a job that you hate.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I just heard about Event Campaign 3. If I start whenever part 3 begins for PC, is it still possible to get the T6 starship choice thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

I just heard about Event Campaign 3. If I start whenever part 3 begins for PC, is it still possible to get the T6 starship choice thing?
Probably not without spending zen.

Assuming the next events will be the same as the previous two, they'll be 21 day events and you can get 50 points per daily. That's 3150 points, well under the 3500 necessary to finish the meta-event.

There are two ways around this, one of which is much easier than the other. Since the daily resets 20 hours after you last run it, not 24, you can technically fit 25 runs into a 21 day event. This requires setting a 20 hour timer daily, and being willing to run the event at some very odd hours. If you no-life like that for the next three events, you could earn up to 3750 points, enough to get the meta prize.

The easier way involves spending zen. If you buy out an event, you receive a number of points equal to the days you bought out. So, if you buy out the next meta-event on the first day, you'll receive 700 points immediately. And you can still receive points for doing the daily. 3150 (points for doing it daily for three events) + 700 (points for buying it out the first day) is 3850, more than enough to get the starship choice prize.