Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pirate Radar posted:

turning people’s abdomens into “take a penny, leave a penny” dishes

That sounds like an offal idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Outrail posted:

'Organs for organ doners' would be a good first step.

"Hmm, let's see. Well sir it looks like you're not an organ doner so you go to the back of the waiting list. What do you mean 'that's not fair?'"

“I’m being discriminated against for being a sociopath!”

—Sociopaths, probably

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pirate Radar posted:

turning people’s abdomens into “take a penny, leave a penny” dishes

I already have sooooo many pennies in my abdomen

Because of pica

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/ChristiesInc/status/1055479790361370624

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
*consumes a roll of pennies like Lifesavers*

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, say you're watching an XFL game and a player on your favorite team makes a ridiculous, "highlight reel" worthy touchdown catch. You would be able to hop on Venmo and "tip" him, so to speak. For those who don't know, Venmo is a money-sharing app owned by PayPal. So imagine watching the XFL and your favorite defensive player just sacked the QB off a sweet spin-move. Job well-done here's a fiver! Just won the game on a walk-off tuddy? Let me hook you up with a couple of Jackson's, you earned it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Do rich people not know this has been a thing for literally decades or something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the fine art market is an enormous tax dodge fyi

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wow fat white pasty men yelling in defense of their favorite consumerism practice is really insufferable

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the fine art market is an enormous tax dodge fyi

you see, I bought this painting for $500,000 and now it has been appraised for $1.5MM so I donated it to my charity to be hung in my office's executive shitter and saved a butt load on my taxes

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

Do rich people not know this has been a thing for literally decades or something
no rich people are actually really stupid

it's really good to bilk rich idiots out of money imo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Siljmonster posted:

wow fat white pasty men yelling in defense of their favorite consumerism practice is really insufferable

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i goto the gamer throne of the gamer god and break him over his own controller

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Outrail posted:

'Organs for organ doners' would be a good first step.

"Hmm, let's see. Well sir it looks like you're not an organ doner so you go to the back of the waiting list. What do you mean 'that's not fair?'"

Some people that need organs would be bad or ineligible deceased donor candidates.

But even if that were implemented it wouldn't do much. Having opt in be the default is good.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

actionjackson posted:

Some people that need organs would be bad or ineligible deceased donor candidates.

But even if that were implemented it wouldn't do much. Having opt in be the default is good.

I'm pretty sure he's not advocating "you give up your kidney to get that liver you need", but instead the whole donor list you sign up for at the dmv where if your brain meats die the rest of your cadaver can be used to save lives.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Platystemon posted:

Describe “a little monastic”.

everyone has to live like a buddhist monk in tang dynasty china. everyone.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm pretty sure he's not advocating "you give up your kidney to get that liver you need", but instead the whole donor list you sign up for at the dmv where if your brain meats die the rest of your cadaver can be used to save lives.

The guy you're replying to means, it would be pretty lovely to go "no otherwise healthy 25-year-old with herpes or well-managed juvenile diabetes or a :420: habit, you can't have that liver and another 60 years of life because we don't consider you a valid donor".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A person can still put themselves on the list even if their organs aren’t likely to be suitable for transplant.

If there is a blood drive with an incentive, anyone who shows up gets that even if their blood is never drawn because of their history or health. It’s bad policy to encourage people to fake the system.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

opt-out instead of opt-in organ donation would make a huge difference all by itself

A few European countries have this.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Art is unique. When you are mega rich status symbols are more important than liquid value.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qkkl posted:

Art is unique. When you are mega rich status symbols are more important than liquid value.

The disgusting bit is the new art which is sold for millions but literally brings nothing to the artists themselves, because of brokering.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tashilicious posted:

The disgusting bit is the new art which is sold for millions but literally brings nothing to the artists themselves, because of brokering.

Remember, most of the value of the art comes from how good it makes rich people feel about themselves for buying it. The artist isn't the one who provides that value, but rather the promoters of the art who use fancy words to make rich people want to pay a lot of money for the piece.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tashilicious posted:

A lot of artists are broken and feel nothing, it's true.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I took a class on Abstract Expressionism and never heard anything about it being a manufactured movement to de-radicalize art. That's an interesting angle.

Not sure how true that is... Jackson Pollock was a lefty and outspoken critic of fascism and wall street... IIRC Mark Rothko was a marxist who frequently got in trouble for his politics.

Giving those guys gov't subsidies to stick it to the ruskies seems a bit unintuitive... But it's not totally unbelievable.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Tashilicious posted:

I hate how this is a real thing. Its so backasswards.

I reckon if it wasn't a thing people in charge of the budgets would be like 'Oh hey we only spent about 10% of our budget this financial term, the financial department deserves a bonus!'

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Platystemon posted:

A person can still put themselves on the list even if their organs aren’t likely to be suitable for transplant.

If there is a blood drive with an incentive, anyone who shows up gets that even if their blood is never drawn because of their history or health. It’s bad policy to encourage people to fake the system.

I can check but I'm guessing most recipients are opted in to deceased organ donation themselves.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the transgenic yeast guy is also breeding worms that eat styrofoam

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the transgenic yeast guy is also breeding worms that eat styrofoam

its gonna be hilarious when all these wonder materials like plastics and polystyrenes are just as unreliable as traditional organic materials for shipping and packaging because we bred pollution eating bugs :allears:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

maybe we'll get our steel playground equipment back

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Former DILF posted:

its gonna be hilarious when all these wonder materials like plastics and polystyrenes are just as unreliable as traditional organic materials for shipping and packaging because we bred pollution eating bugs :allears:

We'll start using silicones and making the same mistakes again, because thread title.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Apparently some mealworms have gut flora that can deal with styrofoam so he has a colony that he only feeds foam and nothing else, I guess he's breeding them to turn garbage into compost or something.

According to 2 seconds on google this gut bacteria evolved naturally and the bacteria can decompose styrofoam by itself, but the combo of the worm chewing it up and the bacteria giving nutrients to the worm is far more effective.

He also has been working on the silk yeast and needs to recalibrate his equipment because the DNA gets smeared or something, and he built some kinda fluorescent microscope to look at tissue samples

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Former DILF posted:

Plastics is a pretty broad category though, it would depend on enzymes being broad enough to handle a whole bunch of different catalytic states, or humans to be dumb enough and committed enough to engineer enzymes for every different type of polymer that has been used in packaging. The dumbness I buy, but not the commitment

e:
https://twitter.com/M_Osborne1/status/1055970621862096904

Failed Imagineer has issued a correction as of 01:29 on Oct 27, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Apparently some mealworms have gut flora that can deal with styrofoam so he has a colony that he only feeds foam and nothing else, I guess he's breeding them to turn garbage into compost or something.

According to 2 seconds on google this gut bacteria evolved naturally and the bacteria can decompose styrofoam by itself, but the combo of the worm chewing it up and the bacteria giving nutrients to the worm is far more effective.

He also has been working on the silk yeast and needs to recalibrate his equipment because the DNA gets smeared or something, and he built some kinda fluorescent microscope to look at tissue samples

Yeah we've known about bacteria that eat plastic for a while, both in the gut of those worms and also because something is consuming the plastic in several parts of the ocean. Plastic's got a ton of chemical energy locked up in it so any bacteria that figures out how to eat that poo poo efficiently is gonna have a big advantage, I'm surprised it hasn't happened faster tbh.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

The dumbness I buy, but not the commitment

so you're telling me there's a chance

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah we've known about bacteria that eat plastic for a while, both in the gut of those worms and also because something is consuming the plastic in several parts of the ocean. Plastic's got a ton of chemical energy locked up in it so any bacteria that figures out how to eat that poo poo efficiently is gonna have a big advantage, I'm surprised it hasn't happened faster tbh.

wow that's fascinating, if you have a link on this? i'd like to know more

e: bacteria have another thing that makes them strong, they can pass around snippets of DNA and immunize or otherwise empower anything that can use the genes they emit like, all the time.

Former DILF has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Oct 27, 2018

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Former DILF posted:

wow that's fascinating, if you have a link on this? i'd like to know more

If you think about it, it's not so crazy. We all rely on our gut flora to help us digest things. If humans don't have any gut bacteria you basically can't extract calories from your food very efficiently and you suck. That's when you need to get someone else's poo poo shoved into a capsule and cram it up your hole

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I will finally metamorphose into the ultimate trash man and survive by eating literal garbage instead of grade D meat approximate substance

The greenest way

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Plastics is a pretty broad category though, it would depend on enzymes being broad enough to handle a whole bunch of different catalytic states, or humans to be dumb enough and committed enough to engineer enzymes for every different type of polymer that has been used in packaging. The dumbness I buy, but not the commitment

e:
https://twitter.com/M_Osborne1/status/1055970621862096904

lol

The Autoblow A.I. is loaded with a lot of math, and the sweat, tears, and potential carpal tunnel syndrome sacrifices of many people. But at the end of the day, despite all the statistics and machine learning, it’s still just a plastic can with a silicone sleeve that goes up and down on your dick.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
drat automation is finally coming for my job, i can only hope to go down as the john henry of sucking dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

lol

The Autoblow A.I. is loaded with a lot of math, and the sweat, tears, and potential carpal tunnel syndrome sacrifices of many people. But at the end of the day, despite all the statistics and machine learning, it’s still just a plastic can with a silicone sleeve that goes up and down on your dick.

loving machines made with free labor