Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

corona familiar posted:

:same:

i guess it’s too lofty an expectation to hold trek actors to the same values their characters portray
Or expect them to learn very basic moral lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://x.com/ansonmount/status/1790076065936810012

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:geno: oh good, he's just a 'both sides' guy

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Anson please stop please stop just stop.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Oh gosh he's even dumber than his first tweet.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I was planning to do a full binge of SNW.

I'm going to axe that now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

corona familiar posted:

:same:

i guess it’s too lofty an expectation to hold trek actors to the same values their characters portray

idk i feel like transporters and translators would really change the dynamic. if it was as easy to go to Shanghai or Mombasa and talk to people there as it were to go to your neighborhood bar i feel like cultural intermixing would be a lot more common and organic than it is now

You can go to any major city and you're going to see that people have segregated themselves into parts of the city where other people of their culture live. Maybe it's easier if you can just travel anywhere on the planet and have a universal translator, but we already have cities that are technically very diverse but also very segregated.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God gently caress you Anson Mount. I don't feel like it's both sides if you're cheering the Israeli eurovision act as well, no matter what he says.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The armor is what is giving me the most Klingon vibes

She could be multiple species, like how the UFP President is part Human, Bajoran, and Cardassian

Are they really, that just feels stupid to me, like it's the perfect mix of stuff almost.
It's wild that we've not heard from the Klingons in this future but I guess at the same time we've really not learned much of anything about the future so eh whatever.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I feel like Anson should Dismount his keyboard and log off

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Stop caring about what actors think.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ashpanash posted:

Stop caring about what actors think.

It's never okay to support genocide, thanks. There's no way I can watch him now knowing he thinks that.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Taear posted:

It's never okay to support genocide, thanks. There's no way I can watch him now knowing he thinks that.

That'll show him

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Taear posted:

He pretty obviously doesn't think that. He appears to be operating from a different set of assumptions and information than you are. To be clear, he IS supporting it, but he doesn't think he is.

One of the biggest issues today is that instead of having different opinions, most people we disagree with have different facts because of the fragmented information landscape. I want to see how this goes now that he's publicly stepped on his dick like this before I call him nuHitler

I'm NOT going to get any farther into the specifics of I/P in this thread but suffice it to say I think he's wrong, but that isn't going to stop me thinking Star Trek is something good. Actors are just charismatic idiots.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ashpanash posted:

That'll show him

One of the very few ways a normal citizen can exercise power is by choosing not to consume something for moral or ethical reasons.

BDS is such a problem for capitalism that 37 states have made anti bds laws for organizations.

But sure be a condescending prick about it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am personally doing it. Anson Mount is cancelled.

Yeah :sigh:

apatheticman posted:

Its not fraught at all.

gently caress Anson Mount.

Also its not just that tweet he's being a condescending gently caress in a bunch more.

https://x.com/Eve_Barlow/status/1789779030184472970

I don't get the tweet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rubber Chicken posted:

He pretty obviously doesn't think that. He appears to be operating from a different set of assumptions and information than you are. To be clear, he IS supporting it, but he doesn't think he is.

So, like JK Rowling, then?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I don't get the tweet.

Consider yourself lucky.

Eve Barlow is an insane zionist who posts horrible poo poo constantly and gets dunked on constantly.

Having her in your corner is basically poison.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, like JK Rowling, then?

If he persists, yes

Anyone can be wrong and not be Hitler. I'll wait a bit and see what happens when he's confronted with what he's about to be

Either way, it's not as though I thought everyone at Paramount was a paragon. I'll not sing his praises personally, but I'm not flushing Trek over it unless a lot more happens

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Not very Trek to treat someone as a supervillain the moment they say or do something you hate. I'm much more interested in a dialog than forcing people further into their corner

For famous people with no actual power in the situation especially. Him having an about face mea culpa would be valuable but that won't come from saying he loves child death and then putting your fingers in your ears

With Rowling it's far too late to give any benefit of the doubt but even so she'd be more valuable as a converted ally to trans folk than what she is now, so I appreciate anyone who takes the effort to engage in good faith. It's fine to say "I think you're wrong and the results are evil" the whole time, though, which is where I am with Mount rn

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I don't get the tweet.

Seeing as how Eve Fartlow is replying to it, I'm guess it's some kind of TERF poo poo. God dammit, Anson. Social media was a mistake.

e: Upon further research Eve Fartlow is not a TERF, she's just an extremely pro-Israeli government/Palestinian genocie rear end in a top hat

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 14, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

apatheticman posted:

Consider yourself lucky.

Eve Barlow is an insane zionist who posts horrible poo poo constantly and gets dunked on constantly.

Having her in your corner is basically poison.

nine-gear crow posted:

Seeing as how Eve Fartlow is replying to it, I'm guess it's some kind of TERF poo poo. God dammit, Anson. Social media was a mistake.

e: Upon further research Eve Fartlow is not a TERF, she's just an extremely pro-Israeli government rear end in a top hat

Double eww

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

Modern Star Trek Megathread: Anson should Dismount his keyboard and log off

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

nine-gear crow posted:

e: Upon further research Eve Fartlow is not a TERF, she's just an extremely pro-Israeli government/Palestinian genocie rear end in a top hat

Almost positive that Ms. Fartlow has terfed it up prior.

Anyway:

CPColin posted:

If he's just going to double down on the worst possible answers, yup.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Taear posted:

I have bad news for you regarding the ethical conduct and activities of the entire mainstream media industry

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nichael posted:

Almost positive that Ms. Fartlow has terfed it up prior.

She's a middle aged British media figure so it should practically be taken as read

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone else hearing a muffled screaming coming from paramount's publicity and media department?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Lol seriously, this is a full on Level 5 Carano Scenario

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Barry Foster posted:

Eh, maybe I’m naive but I think this is unfortunately way, way less controversial among most mainstream Americans, doubly given to my knowledge there isn’t a parallel to the literal star of the show telling him to “kindly please knock it off that’s my sister you’re talking about”. It’d be cool if I’m proven wrong, but I expect this’ll be ignored

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is just classic 'twitter is the worst for discourse'. Anson's starting position was 'I'm going to cheer on any artist who needs police protection and faces death threats just for wanting to put on a performance'. This isn't just a reasonable position for someone to take (I do have to note the conflict with my 'gently caress russian artists/sportspeople everywhere' stance), judging from the public voting in Eurovision it seems likely it's the majority view out among the public. For expressing this view he gets a barrage of 'gently caress you why do you support genocide'.

Any non terminally online person with a spark of backbone (or even the terminally online) is going to respond with some version of 'no actually gently caress you' and move towards the position that doesn't have people screaming at them.

As for Paramount PR I bet they are mostly happy that Anson did not declare that Israel is committing a genocide, which from a PR standpoint is the worst possible can of worms he could open.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, this is ultimately gonna be a "Terry Matalas hung out with a bunch of white supremacists while promoting Picard Season 3"-level PR "crisis" for the Paramount PR team. Just a "I wish you didn't do that :manning:" email and that's about it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Alchenar posted:

This is just classic 'twitter is the worst for discourse'. Anson's starting position was 'I'm going to cheer on any artist who needs police protection and faces death threats just for wanting to put on a performance'. This isn't just a reasonable position for someone to take (I do have to note the conflict with my 'gently caress russian artists/sportspeople everywhere' stance), judging from the public voting in Eurovision it seems likely it's the majority view out among the public. For expressing this view he gets a barrage of 'gently caress you why do you support genocide'.

Any non terminally online person with a spark of backbone (or even the terminally online) is going to respond with some version of 'no actually gently caress you' and move towards the position that doesn't have people screaming at them.

As for Paramount PR I bet they are mostly happy that Anson did not declare that Israel is committing a genocide, which from a PR standpoint is the worst possible can of worms he could open.

Well this post aged poorly, though no fault of the OP's

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Not really, he's aligning with the dominant position of most of mainstream politics from both parties in the US.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’ll get a raise for supporting the IDF

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Here, have some lower decks. First time she's posted in two months was with this yesterday.

https://x.com/TrondyNewman/status/1790235116700377493

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hope that SNW and Henry Alonso Myers is brave enough to do a Israel/Palestine episode.

Maybe write it into canon that it becomes one democratic secular state before United Earth.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

xerxus posted:

I hope that SNW and Henry Alonso Myers is brave enough to do a Israel/Palestine episode.

Maybe write it into canon that it becomes one democratic secular state before United Earth.

" the Palestinian reunification of 2024"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

punishedkissinger posted:

" the Palestinian reunification of 2024"

Followed ironically by the Palestine-Ireland War, which directly led to World War 3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There was a unification conference and a fight broke out over who was more unified.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Israel got loads of televote points by cheating like Azerbaijan did - they got loads of people in various countries where it's cheap to vote to vote 20 times.
It's not some groundswell of fascism across western europe or anything.
https://x.com/yonatan_touval/status/1790416886716399857?s=46

There's no excuse, at all.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
So America isn't the only place where Israel buys votes.