Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Elder Postsman posted:

there's way too many hidden swipes and taps in iOS, i don't like it

the interface has been trash since at least the introduction of the long press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ios is fine. what the gently caress did the home button do? i dont even remember.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I'm a big fan of the complete and utter crapshoot when I occasionally install an app and want to place it on the home screen whether the icon that's already there will move out of the way or not, or the one next to it will feel more polite, or nothing will move and it will keep trying to create a folder. but apart from that

Jonny 290 posted:

ios is fine

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

ios is fine. what the gently caress did the home button do? i dont even remember.

it takes you home. also let’s you view/close all the open apps

oh and it also unlocks the phone, which is a better way to do it than cameras or whatever the gently caress nonsense apple came up with

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it gets cold here. idk, idk.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the home button did all the stuff swipe up from below the screen does today

swipe up from below the screen used to be control panel so it got moved to the upper right

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

haveblue posted:

swipe up from below the screen used to be control panel

still is on the se3, and because i switched to horrible notchphones first it's like 50/50 on whether i'll use the right gesture lol

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I still don't know how to use windowing in iOS.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
no one does. it's all secret gestures in invisible magic zones

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ios doesn't do windowing, you're thinking of ipados

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

it doesn't help that apps need to support it and nothing tells you they do until you actually try to do a split screen on an app. stage manager kind of solved that but i don't know of anyone who has ever used it - an ipad screen is just too tiny and app UIs are just too big for it to be useful.

continuity is great though. stick your ipad next to your mac, and when you move your mouse to the right edge of your mac you start controlling your ipad, keyboard included. i use my ipad as a third monitor for stuff like teams, music, and of course app ios development

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Fool posted:

ios doesn't do windowing, you're thinking of ipados

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
on ipados "stage manager" is basically your window management, unless you have an ipados app that supports split-screen view (not all of them do). but if you enable stage manager you can resize any app regardless

problem is, switching between them loving sucks. you get a pseudo-dock on the side that doesn't function anything like its macos equivalent

e: and even if you "add new window" to group processes together (while in stage manager) to easily switch between them, it gives you a card stack kinda thing. but that's no guarantee one or both processes won't run out of memory — i usually run into this while using draw things and safari together. if you're not careful both will run out of memory, and the behavior there is exactly the same as it normally is, i.e. the app force-quits but you don't know it because the card stack just shows you a screenshot of the most recent display

it sucks rear end

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 1, 2024

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

but that's no guarantee one or both processes won't run out of memory — i usually run into this while using draw things and safari together. if you're not careful both will run out of memory, and the behavior there is exactly the same as it normally is, i.e. the app force-quits but you don't know it because the card stack just shows you a screenshot of the most recent display

it sucks rear end

lol

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow. maybe they shouldn't have tried to shoehorn windowing into a mobile device?

gently caress, even multitasking was probably a mistake

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think anyone outside of tech reviewers ever actually wanted ipad multitasking, and definitely not in its weird-assed implementation they settled on, but it got put in a bunch of articles that pitted the ipad against other tablets, which it's important to note almost none of which exist today

switching between full screen apps is sufficient, who knew?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

sometimes i like having a web browser open on one half of my ipad to reference while i'm typing something in a text editor on the other half.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm almost certain you're right, idiotic tech press dweebs kept writing ipad reviews where they lamented that it wasn't a macbook tablet.

no one who actually used the things wanted that or anything like that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

sometimes i like having a web browser open on one half of my ipad to reference while i'm typing something in a text editor on the other half.

sounds like a great job for a laptop or desktop computer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like, technically, i can remotely administer windows servers from my phone with a console or full rdp interface.

is that something i ever want to do, or something that it makes sense to design a 6-13" platform around doing? no, it isn't, because there are better tools for that job.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is like complaining that your car doesn't wash your laundry. maybe it could, but the experience would loving suck.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

the most important use case for driving new iPad sales is making it easier to do your email job while sitting at an airport/on an airplane

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

incidentally an example of such a job is iPad product manager at apple

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

What's a computer?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use my 2017 iPad Pro for Twitch, shitposting, and YouTube. I’m sure 99% of all other people also use it for those things and probably a good percentage use it as an e-reader as well. Every other advertised feature is worthless.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

like, technically, i can remotely administer windows servers from my phone with a console or full rdp interface.

is that something i ever want to do, or something that it makes sense to design a 6-13" platform around doing? no, it isn't, because there are better tools for that job.

i have used rdp from my ipad and the experience is mostly pretty pleasant since it is fairly high res and supports windows' native touch gestures (if you turn them on). i've also used it on my android phone since it's 2160x1080 (21:9), you can fit basically a normal desktop display there and only need to scale it to like 125%, and it's truly full screen since there's no stupid loving notch in the way

otoh i'd never do that on my se3, even though there's no notch. the resolution is just too low. forget about it on a notch/dynamic island phone either, they don't let you utilize the full display and that's garbage

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

wow. maybe they shouldn't have tried to shoehorn windowing into a mobile device?

gently caress, even multitasking was probably a mistake

they should just force you to buy another device for each additional app you want to use concurrently. they've already mostly solved this with the Continuity features

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Merkinman posted:

What's a computer?

a miserable pile of bits

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

What's a computer?

something with a mouse and keyboard

for example

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

the most important use case for driving new iPad sales is making it easier to do your email job while sitting at an airport/on an airplane

let me just reply to emails all day on this touchscreen keyboard

oh, it sucks for that? well i guess i can get a type cover.

congratulations, you just invented a laptop that can't sit on your lap

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

let me just reply to emails all day on this touchscreen keyboard

oh, it sucks for that? well i guess i can get a type cover.

congratulations, you just invented a laptop that can't sit on your lap

honestly i've been doing most of my recent posting on my ipad (in portrait mode, typically), and it's really not terrible. i can hit maybe 50 wpm, which is much slower, but my typo rate is way higher than on a normal computer anyway so it's fine. it gives me a chance to proofread lol

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Pinterest Mom posted:

I mostly want to do this or reference information stored in the 1password app in situations when there isn't a autofill option. It's a rare case but jesus gently caress it sucks when you realize you need to swap between 1password and something else a bunch of times.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Internet Old One posted:

I mostly want to do this or reference information stored in the 1password app in situations when there isn't a autofill option. It's a rare case but jesus gently caress it sucks when you realize you need to swap between 1password and something else a bunch of times.

yep, that and reviewing account information side-by-side are the two primary cases i use it for

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 1, 2024

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
ipad multi tasking has always sucked poo poo and always has

macos full screening has always sucked poo poo and is more proof that osx lion was the worst release of osx of all time.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Wild EEPROM posted:

osx lion was the worst release of osx of all time.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Pinterest Mom posted:

i project my iPad in the classroom and i like having my calculator app (Calculate84, ofc) open next to Notability when i do solutions so i can demonstrate the calculations. calculator is 1/3 width, Notability is 2/3. works great when it’s set up but it requires a tap on a hidden magic zone at the top, a menu select, another menu select, sometimes a swipe from a hidden magic zone at the top if I forget whether the app you select in the previous menu appears on the left or the right, and then another swipe of the divider between the two apps to resize everything (they’re half-and-half by default). solid 15-20 seconds each time i want to do it which is an eternity in a room of easily distracted teenagers, maybe this is what “stage manager” is for but I think my iPad might predate that or it’s invisible and undiscoverable or something. 3 out of 5 experience

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Wild EEPROM posted:

ipad multi tasking has always sucked poo poo and always has

it’s frankly amazing how dogshit it is

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
using my iPad to play a video while using my iPhone to google something. many such cases

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Strangelet Wave posted:

i project my iPad in the classroom and i like having my calculator app (Calculate84, ofc) open next to Notability when i do solutions so i can demonstrate the calculations. calculator is 1/3 width, Notability is 2/3. works great when it’s set up but it requires a tap on a hidden magic zone at the top, a menu select, another menu select, sometimes a swipe from a hidden magic zone at the top if I forget whether the app you select in the previous menu appears on the left or the right, and then another swipe of the divider between the two apps to resize everything (they’re half-and-half by default). solid 15-20 seconds each time i want to do it which is an eternity in a room of easily distracted teenagers, maybe this is what “stage manager” is for but I think my iPad might predate that or it’s invisible and undiscoverable or something. 3 out of 5 experience

the window splitting menu isn't quite hidden, it's the three sometimes not-very-visible dots at the top (always centered). if there's only one app/view open it'll just have one at the top, but each split window gets their own, so subsequent menus are at the top center of their view

i don't think every ipad got stage manager, but i think if it allows split view then you should also be able to get stage manager. you enable it from the control center with this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
these dots:

i cropped the video obviously so they're not centered, but ykwim