Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

swickles posted:

They explicitly say that Detmer and Owo were.
leading the team flying the ISS back to Federation HQ.

And again, that's fairly reasonable in-universe, universe altering mission notwithstanding, but still pretty lovely for a show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This season is the Season of Rhys, because all the other minor characters got Thanos snapped

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh for real? What a lovely way to send off a show and its characters

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Owo and Detmer are on the ISS Enterprise taking it back to star dock.

Now I don't expect this to happen but what would be awesome would be if they showed up to save the day in a new 32nd Century retrofitted ISS Enterprise no bloody A

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
You can't really blame the show as far as writing and such. You have the actors you have, and if the studio can't/won't lock them up (in this case won't) then they are going to find other work and get blocked out of production.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

swickles posted:

You can't really blame the show as far as writing and such. You have the actors you have, and if the studio can't/won't lock them up (in this case won't) then they are going to find other work and get blocked out of production.

No no no, you don’t understand. The actors’ schedules are also somehow a writer’s problem.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

At least the characters just disappearing is much kinder way to get rid of characters and their actors than what they used to do in the 90's. Force them to contract with veto rights, forbid them from taking any side gigs, and then bench them so that their careers stalled.

Maybe even spread rumors that they are difficult on set, when they were justifiably voicing out their frustration and bad treatment.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Lol at all this game of thrones drama where all the characters look like identical Boba Fetts

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I liked when there were the dudes who were banging their sticks on the ground like a mile away from the actual area where the thing was happening. I feel like all this has done is make the Breen dumber.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The show becoming a Star War was weird but I guess unavoidable with 1000 Bobas and heavy use of Volume but it's not the worst Star Wars show

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

CLUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1lBosIAPDA&t=34s

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh for real? What a lovely show and characters

Fixed :smug:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

swickles posted:

it looks like Owosekun's actor was starring in an indie film while Season 5 was filming, didn't see anything about Detmer's actor but I imagine it's the same thing

same reason Saru's been offscreen since episode 3, Doug Jones had to do a publicity tour for a movie

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
According to IMDB, this is the only thing Detmer's actress has done since 2021, so maybe they just don't like her.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are somehow only two episodes left of this show

If I didn’t know that I would think we were like halfway in the story

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Halfway through a story they probably should've told in 2 episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Halfway through a story they probably should've told in 2 episodes.
Same as last season, except thankfully this one is shorter

I'm also pretty convinced after watching this episode that they are going to resurrect Book's homeworld in the finale

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Book and Burnham will be the only two people left on the ship in the finale.

This will not be elaborated upon or explained.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are somehow only two episodes left of this show

If I didn’t know that I would think we were like halfway in the story

Don't worry, discovery can wrap up any story no matter how complicated or involved in like five minutes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

Well they already got rid of a lot of people off-screen, so probably yeah.

At least in this episode there was a written reason as to why Book was involved in the plot. Most of the season he just kind of Kramers into the situation. Especially in last week's episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Don't worry, discovery can wrap up any story no matter how complicated or involved in like five minutes.
Yeah that's fair, I mean they did completely get rid of a major antagonist in a season finale monologue

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Gonz posted:

They've never needed a crew before.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hey remember when in episode 1 they set up a potential plotline about Stamets feeling like he was not going to have a job anymore because they were phasing out the spore drive research? I think the show forgot about that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Same as last season, except thankfully this one is shorter

I'm also pretty convinced after watching this episode that they are going to resurrect Book's homeworld in the finale

I forgot why it was destroyed and wish it wasn't, but like, it being wished back in-universe isn't really the resolution.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
It's not the writers' fault those actors moved on (well, I mean kind of maybe in a way since they were usually glorified set dressing) , it just sucks for the show in a way that's somehow very appropriate for the show

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's exactly the writers' fault. They put all those people on the bridge, gave them names, and then treated them like background extras. I guess they were a step above background extras because they each got one fun fact about themselves they got to say. Sam Kirk on SNW gets more lines and I don't even know what he does on the ship.

Rhys is tactical, I don't really remember anything about him. Who else has been tactical? Worf, Tuvok, and Reed, all main characters. Owosekun is ops, a position held by Data and Harry Kim, both characters with tons of their own plots. Detmer is helm, which was Paris, Mayweather, Navia, and whatever main character on TNG needed to be on the bridge that day. Nilsson/Airiam operates the spore drive and we didn't get anything about Airiam until the actress playing her couldn't stand doing the makeup anymore so they cast an entirely new person as Airiam, gave her a story, killed her off, and then replaced her with the original Airiam actress but without space makeup, and then continued to do nothing with the new character.

Maybe if they didn't make every season "THE UNIVERSE IS ENDING! RACE TO THE MACGUFFIN AND DO THE THING BEFORE THE UNIVERSE ENDS!" there would have been time to explore literally any of these characters besides a few minutes of "*Character*, you come from a planet that does *thing right*?" "Yeah, back on my home planet we-" "Great, we'll plug that into the plot and then the problem is solved. Next episode."

Maybe the conference room scenes in TNG are too boring for TV these days, but it allowed a lot of the characters to be fleshed out which got them their own episodes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe the conference room scenes in TNG are too boring for TV these days, but it allowed a lot of the characters to be fleshed out which got them their own episodes.

No way. I don't buy for a second anything about the style or pace of the classics wouldn't work today. If they made a show like that today, we'd be talking about it forever. It's not like contemporary television is an organic result of audience demands shifting over time.

Even if these companies had a good grip at reading their own tea leaves of data, it would be only for hilariously short sighted and obtuse metrics that certainly are not geared towards making good TV people will be watching and caring about for decades after.

Production
Jun 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hey remember when in episode 1 they set up a potential plotline about Stamets feeling like he was not going to have a job anymore because they were phasing out the spore drive research? I think the show forgot about that.

You would think it would tie together with his husband's existential crises more than it does, but they're doling it out at a TNG "Worf has a son in some of these 26 episodes" pace so I'm expecting it's dropped, or we're going to get a really abrupt wrapup with Stamets and Culber in the last episode. Adira will be there to regret getting time bugged.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Breed are real jerks.

No Wonder L'ok didn't wanted to die than to have anything to do with them.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

The last test was silly but I thought Sonequa knocked it out of the park with that last scene in the library.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

It's exactly the writers' fault. They put all those people on the bridge, gave them names, and then treated them like background extras. I guess they were a step above background extras because they each got one fun fact about themselves they got to say. Sam Kirk on SNW gets more lines and I don't even know what he does on the ship.

Rhys is tactical, I don't really remember anything about him. Who else has been tactical? Worf, Tuvok, and Reed, all main characters. Owosekun is ops, a position held by Data and Harry Kim, both characters with tons of their own plots. Detmer is helm, which was Paris, Mayweather, Navia, and whatever main character on TNG needed to be on the bridge that day. Nilsson/Airiam operates the spore drive and we didn't get anything about Airiam until the actress playing her couldn't stand doing the makeup anymore so they cast an entirely new person as Airiam, gave her a story, killed her off, and then replaced her with the original Airiam actress but without space makeup, and then continued to do nothing with the new character.

Maybe if they didn't make every season "THE UNIVERSE IS ENDING! RACE TO THE MACGUFFIN AND DO THE THING BEFORE THE UNIVERSE ENDS!" there would have been time to explore literally any of these characters besides a few minutes of "*Character*, you come from a planet that does *thing right*?" "Yeah, back on my home planet we-" "Great, we'll plug that into the plot and then the problem is solved. Next episode."

It's just they aren't important and aren't the cast. The cast members are Michael, Saru, Culber, Tilly. Stametz, Adira, and Book with regularly occurring Jet, Admiral Dad, Vulcan lady, and Cronenburg.

It's about the same number of mains as any other Trek series, it's just the bridge crew are not the mains.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It is weird though that they care enough about their actors to kill one off just so they could have them play a new character without restrictive makeup, but don't care about them enough to give them a character, or lines

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Technowolf posted:

All the tests should have been Indiana Jones-style death traps.

Phantom Book admonishing Burnham for not remembering that Jesus starts with an 'I' in the original Klingon.

Wait - you mean they weren't? That's some loving bullshit.

"Let's pick up the super secret precursor clue. Hmm where could it be? Oh there it is sitting on that bench. Well, okay, let's go home then"

/episode ends.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I have to say, as someone who gave up on Disco early in season 3, reading some of these comments without any context is absolutely wild. Thank you to everyone who stuck with it to provide this surreal amusement.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's just they aren't important and aren't the cast. The cast members are Michael, Saru, Culber, Tilly. Stametz, Adira, and Book with regularly occurring Jet, Admiral Dad, Vulcan lady, and Cronenburg.

It's about the same number of mains as any other Trek series, it's just the bridge crew are not the mains.

it's a structure that can work in Trek -- in DS9 only two of the main cast were the equivalent of "bridge crew" and we never got to know any of the random Bajorans who ran ops most of the day, for example -- but then you have to structure the show so that you're not spending the climax of every plot on the bridge with one or maybe two of your main characters surrounded by a dozen featured extras who can only contribute by meaningfully gesturing

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I have to say, as someone who gave up on Disco early in season 3, reading some of these comments without any context is absolutely wild. Thank you to everyone who stuck with it to provide this surreal amusement.

I dipped out earlier than that and have absolutely gotten far more enjoyment from reading the comments here, from the exasperated to the despairing, than I ever would from having directly suffered through the show.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

The Chairman posted:

it's a structure that can work in Trek -- in DS9 only two of the main cast were the equivalent of "bridge crew" and we never got to know any of the random Bajorans who ran ops most of the day, for example -- but then you have to structure the show so that you're not spending the climax of every plot on the bridge with one or maybe two of your main characters surrounded by a dozen featured extras who can only contribute by meaningfully gesturing

Yeah the difference is DS9 never acted like we should know or care about them

Discovery has more than once done what I guess might basically be cargo culted bridge crew togetherness scenes where we were clearly intended to feel feelings about them individually

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm just getting bored with this season and we are supposed to be ramping up to the big finale

I think last season was worse because it was longer and even less was happening, but part of it for me is that once again this has turned into the Michael and Book Show. At least in prior seasons we had more Saru, but he has only been in what, 2 episodes this season?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I still would've been down to watch a Michael and Book Courier show, it would just need to be a show about that. Problem is they seem to be trying to make a Star Trek, and for that to work you need an A and B plot each episode, typically focusing on different combos of characters each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I still would've been down to watch a Michael and Book Courier show, it would just need to be a show about that. Problem is they seem to be trying to make a Star Trek, and for that to work you need an A and B plot each episode, typically focusing on different combos of characters each time.

that's been my main conflict with S5 so far -- I've been enjoying the majority of it so far, and it feels like they've finally managed to write a season that isn't 8 episodes of wheel spinning bookended by frantic premieres and finales, but they still haven't really found the Star Trek voice yet and there's a lot of opportunities to engage with it that they keep leaving on the table

the only episode I've really disliked so far is the ISS Enterprise one, that one very clearly felt like "we have this existing standing set and we need to balance the season budget" and has a bunch of convenient coincidences to make it fit in the overall season