Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Finland is supposed to be the happiest country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OSP's Blue does a quick dive into Brutalism

And why it sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Dc5vaEJfY

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

mycot posted:

Finland is supposed to be the happiest country.

It's because they made botl post here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Reading his posts in that thread is a real blast* from the past.

*:gas:
but. kingpin is still a crime lord?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

mycot posted:

I mostly agree with this that it was really just trolling + the posting stamina to carry on a tedious argument till infinity I just remember the Spider-verse thing because it got, dare I say it, really white. Honest to god "I'm European and raceblind, maybe you're the real racist for noticing the color of people's skin" being pulled out.

i swear some of the most racist poo poo i've read has been from white northern europeans who think that being racist is just an american thing and that's always the reason why, lol

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Runa posted:

OSP's Blue does a quick dive into Brutalism

And why it sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Dc5vaEJfY

Don't know if I agree with his opinion on Brutalism. I admit, a lot of the critiques can be true and a lot of Brutalism can look bad, but the example he gave of what Brutalist architecture he liked seemed... So much bleaker than a lot of the other ones he disliked (the plain, flat concrete slab separating the flats was just... Grim looking to me).

The one thing I remember about BotL was one time when I made a snide remark that they DIDN'T respond to, which caught me so off-guard, I wondered if they actually were stung by it.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The internet really has it out for brutalism.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brutalism gets unfairly villainized when it's hostile architecture deciding we don't get public benches because an unhoused human might sleep on them that's the real antagonist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the design of the DC metro is still a masterpiece of 20th century public architecture, imo. though i will definitely admit that a lot of it above-ground was the result of a kind of 20th century modern utopianism that has definitely aged poorly

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

RareAcumen posted:

Brutalism gets unfairly villainized when it's hostile architecture deciding we don't get public benches because an unhoused human might sleep on them that's the real antagonist.

Why focus on an actual real example of hostile architecutre that has a negative effect when I can rant about how a style that hasn't been in vogue for years if not decades is evil and bad and offended me personally.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mercury Hat posted:

i swear some of the most racist poo poo i've read has been from white northern europeans who think that being racist is just an american thing and that's always the reason why, lol

How dare you Zwarte Piet is a noble, proud tradition dating back

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Racism ftw.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dawgstar posted:

How dare you Zwarte Piet is a noble, proud tradition dating back
Wrong racism, The Netherlands aren't northern Europe.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
content creator doing a tier list of europe's most racist countries

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Can Tony Reclaim the Championship?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

content creator doing a tier list of europe's most racist countries

the holy see :bustem:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TuxedoOrca posted:

Why focus on an actual real example of hostile architecutre that has a negative effect when I can rant about how a style that hasn't been in vogue for years if not decades is evil and bad and offended me personally.

Blue likes to talk about architecture, both in terms of its history and its aesthetics. Which is only a slight digression from his usual role on the OSP channel where he talks about history in general. Eventually people asking him about Brutalism would lead to him articulating his opinions on it.

If the fact that he has an opinion that differs from yours personally offends you, well, I think you're telling on yourself more than anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY5B2jZnocQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WJparOD6H8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkvTdgrK7CU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ1I0RY0Oxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlpGelZItY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55zii75q3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROm8YuAty4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8TYei9c-XU

RareAcumen posted:

I think the video is being incredibly fair, especially since it calls out both its role in revolutionizing housing and the works of Lou Kahn as positives. But it's not unfair to identify its aesthetics and impact as being almost the exact opposite of what its original ideological foundations were meant to evoke.

Runa fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 11, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As a response to "why doesn't this youtuber make videos about current events instead of wasting time on architecture that hasn't been relevant in decades?" I could've just posted the Ziggurat of Ur video to be glib, but I decided to post a number of other architecture videos to illustrate where OSP Blue is coming from and what he finds aesthetically pleasing and historically interesting.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

Runa posted:

If the fact that he has an opinion that differs from yours personally offends you, well, I think you're telling on yourself more than anything.

I was making a sarcastic remark. It didn't personally offend me.

I am aware of both Blue and OSP, but I'm also aware they have a long history of getting stuff wrong and being boneheaded about it. Blue is rather notorious for being about history but often his videos and takes being deep in pop history.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TuxedoOrca posted:

I was making a sarcastic remark. It didn't personally offend me.

I am aware of both Blue and OSP, but I'm also aware they have a long history of getting stuff wrong and being boneheaded about it. Blue is rather notorious for being about history but often his videos and takes being deep in pop history.

Okay, fair enough.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm watching the Super Eyepatch Wolf video about fake videogames and the only other thing of his I've watched is the one about Fear and Hunger... is having a five minute existential crisis because he feels old a normal event in these? I've seen people talk about his histrionics, this just felt like it was crowbarred in, like something he had to do for an advertiser or something.

The stuff he's covering is interesting and I liked his delivery aside from that.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Runa posted:

As a response to "why doesn't this youtuber make videos about current events instead of wasting time on architecture that hasn't been relevant in decades?" I could've just posted the Ziggurat of Ur video to be glib, but I decided to post a number of other architecture videos to illustrate where OSP Blue is coming from and what he finds aesthetically pleasing and historically interesting.

Blade Runner kind of left me unprepared for the relatively little amount of giant flaming Ziggurats that would be around in 2019 :/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I'm watching the Super Eyepatch Wolf video about fake videogames and the only other thing of his I've watched is the one about Fear and Hunger... is having a five minute existential crisis because he feels old a normal event in these? I've seen people talk about his histrionics, this just felt like it was crowbarred in, like something he had to do for an advertiser or something.

The stuff he's covering is interesting and I liked his delivery aside from that.

hes a guy with an extremely surface level understanding of the stuff he covers that he mostly compensates for by inserting 'drama' into the video with fake histrionics and sounding like hes always on the verge of tears

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

Endorph posted:

hes a guy with an extremely surface level understanding of the stuff he covers that he mostly compensates for by inserting 'drama' into the video with fake histrionics and sounding like hes always on the verge of tears

he's irish

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

"Super Eyepatch Wolf has an existential breakdown mid-video" does seem to be a recurring gimmick, yeah. In his Garfield creepypasta video he spends... oh, probably a good five or six minutes melting down because his mom found a picture of him wearing a Garfield shirt as a kid despite his very emphatic denials that he was ever a Garfield fan before the video. It's a weird tangent and honestly felt uncomfortable. The rest of the video is fine, it's an interesting look at an internet subculture hell-bent on crafting surreal horror from the banal, but I can't watch it again because we hit that stretch and I can't help feeling like I'm watching a guy try and talk himself into some kind of mental illness. Because of a picture of him as a six-year-old wearing a Garfield t-shirt.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Didn't SEW pretend to have an existential breakdown because he ordered the wrong PC after admitting he knows nothing about computers and didn't ask anyone what should he buy?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

TuxedoOrca posted:

Didn't SEW pretend to have an existential breakdown because he ordered the wrong PC after admitting he knows nothing about computers and didn't ask anyone what should he buy?

thats actually normal

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thats actually normal

Actually you're right.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thats actually normal

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

if you've ever spent a lot of money on something only to realize you spent it on the wrong thing and didnt have a mental breakdown you arent normal

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBPTD8feXOw

War in Europe is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh5eEnU-YmM

Jonathan looks at Ghost Recon guns.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 11, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thats actually normal

I'll go further, I DO know what to buy and I check the parts picking thread before I buy anything and I STILL have an existential breakdown the second I click buy in case I've somehow got it wrong

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you've ever spent a lot of money on something only to realize you spent it on the wrong thing and didnt have a mental breakdown you arent normal

Yeah, the problem with that SEW video is that he repeatedly just bought the most expensive option w/o checking with anyone who knows and kept blaming everyone else when it wasn't actually what he wanted. Also inventing codenames like " The fixer" for customer service/ Brand reps. The mental breakdown is just a general problem with all his videos.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've contacted the fixer about our... predicament.

His estimated time of arrival is four hours. Until then, nobody is allowed to use the downstairs toilet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

super eyepatch wolf is a very stupid guy who got a lot of money because he made youtube videos about naruto and has mistaken this for intelligence and emotional resonance with people

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he made a video about gantz and for that i respect him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

but he also didnt really go over anything of importance with gantz or mention all the really hosed up poo poo in it except for one sentence in a 30 minute video lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

you see in gantz theres a serial killer school shooter guy that really wants to get back into gantz and kill aliens so the way he does this is dress up in black face and shoots a bunch of innocent people in public until he is killed by a martial arts master

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
IMO his best video was about Simpsons fan projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that video is one of his worst because he acted like hed discovered some unspoken, unknown thing when hes a loving anime youtuber. being an anime youtuber whos never heard of doujins or fangames is completely insane