Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Frankly, I am bored shitless of narratives insisting that either people are 110% irredeemable or the only possible way for a terrible person to even begin to make amends is a heroic self-sacrifice resulting in immediate death. Even if it didn't always provide all the answers or reach a satisfying conclusion, I found Megatron's change of heart to be a wonderfully interesting direction and I appreciate that they at least had the ambition to try instead of just playing it safe.

The nature of justice, punishment, rehabilitation et al is a fascinating concept to me, and much less common than FOREVER WAR and smashing your action figures together. Given these are relatively ageless beings, on a long enough timeline, Megatron might have gone on to do countless good things and save who knows how many lives. It wouldn't make up for all the ones he took but it's surely better to have him do some good than just executing or dumping him in a cell for all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

The "Megatron as Autobot" arc is the best Transformers story ever told. Yeah, there's a lot of weird poo poo around it, and a lot of aborted storylines due to the reboot happening when it did, but that's the risk a writer takes when he goes for the long game, as Roberts did. The mutiny is not a knee-jerk response to readers pointing out the (very obvious) fact that Megatron is an impossible monster that the command crew was getting far too buddy-buddy with, it's a very obvious planned plot. Getaway may be a narcissistic rear end, but the Autobots that join and support him do so out of a genuine belief that Megatron doesn't deserve redemption. And the end of the series more or less supports that idea, while remembering that nobody is all one thing.

Is it all 100% successful? No, but the fact that someone got to tell that story with toy robots is pretty amazing. And that's leaving aside the massive numbers of new fans, especially LGBT+ fans, who were brought into the fandom by the representation and inclusiveness Roberts always injected into the storytelling. I've given those comics to people who have never even looked at a Transformer before and all of them had some plastic version of their favorite character on their desk or dresser within a couple months. MTMTE is an extraordinary work.
Honestly for me the only thing about the Getaway arc that didn't sit right was that he had to use the Nudge Gun (IE: a blatant critique of David Cameron's government in a robot story) at all. Once we started seeing how the mutiny came together it just felt a bit too precious about keeping the good characters "pure" rather than acknowleding that there's a legit grievance there and making a point about seeking revenge being harmful in and of itself. A missed opportunity rather than a big failure though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Second time was the charm.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

drrockso20 posted:

Really makes me wish that Cyberverse* as a concept had lasted long enough for them to have done a G1 style line, cause those 3rd party ones are great, but they're sold at prices that are absolutely ridiculous for what you get

*Hasbro really needs to put a moratorium on reusing line and show names, cause at this point it's just getting really confusing

Are you using Cyberverse here to mean War for/Fall of Cybertron?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's the problem isn't it?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

While I'm thinking about it, anyone know an upgrade kit for Siege Megatron that fixes the giant gaping forearm voids? They really bother me and it's near impossible to get a cool pose going that isn't proudly showing one of them off. It's crazy that they didn't spring for two extra parts to put flaps on there like Earthrise Optimus has.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Sentinel Red posted:

Frankly, I am bored shitless of narratives insisting that either people are 110% irredeemable or the only possible way for a terrible person to even begin to make amends is a heroic self-sacrifice resulting in immediate death. Even if it didn't always provide all the answers or reach a satisfying conclusion, I found Megatron's change of heart to be a wonderfully interesting direction and I appreciate that they at least had the ambition to try instead of just playing it safe.

The nature of justice, punishment, rehabilitation et al is a fascinating concept to me, and much less common than FOREVER WAR and smashing your action figures together. Given these are relatively ageless beings, on a long enough timeline, Megatron might have gone on to do countless good things and save who knows how many lives. It wouldn't make up for all the ones he took but it's surely better to have him do some good than just executing or dumping him in a cell for all time.

It's this, Megatron was in the Functionist Universe for a VERY long time, and essentially got to do everything again as the Optimus Prime stand-in, and he did a lot of good, but then he came home because he never forgot that all the good in the multiverse cannot wipe out or excuse his previous actions.

The only person who's first reaction was an attempt to change Megatron's fate was Rodimus, who had long been established as someone with a lot of things to feel intense guilt over, including bombing civilians at the outbreak of the war, the other were sadly resigned to the same truth the Megatron still had to answer for his crimes, and this time he couldn't pull the "Only God can judge me, and you can't martyr me" trick, because he knew it was a bullshit excuse to begin with.

Rodimus' fantasy of escape was just that, like the end of Brazil.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The_Doctor posted:

Are you using Cyberverse here to mean War for/Fall of Cybertron?

I mean the subline the toylines for DOTM and Prime had that were focused around the small scale bots

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My Core Soundwave's gun doesn't go deep enough into his shoulder so it never looks right, and I'm not sure how to fix that.

Anora posted:

This is mostly my opinion.

The idea of a huge cartoon villain seeing that their villainy is wrong and them having to deal with it is a fascinating idea. While I think a bunch of the moments of Megatron seeing his actions as explicitly wrong from the end results of them was well done, like the flowers, but there was an over all cohesion that was not there.

I always have had a lot of misgivings about his pre-war sympathetic side though. There really wasn't enough back story from that base to see where he went from guy with beliefs that were "we should all be equal," to ones that were corrupted through either the cruelty of the rulers of cybertron or just his own ego to justify his shift to super-tyrant narratively. I always kinda felt like the Senator Shockwave thing should have been with him instead of Optimus.

I think a lot about IDW Megatron specifically is that often the extent of his wrongdoings isn't fully explored, so it's hard to atone for offscreen stuff, but also since the IDW comic was meant to evoke all of G1, IDW Megatron also has to carry the weight of alternate continuities.

He's also supposed to evoke like historical revolutionaries (many of which got out of hand), although it gets pretty weird at points. The robot caste system is something weird, and then there's the thing with the special, special brand of spark?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlothfulCobra posted:

My Core Soundwave's gun doesn't go deep enough into his shoulder so it never looks right, and I'm not sure how to fix that.

Maybe trim the handle or try drilling the hole deeper?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I saw the new Studio Series Starscream at Target today. Didn’t get one, but they’re out there if you’re looking.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there a list of the Transformers comics you guys recommend and what order to read them?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Medullah posted:

Is there a list of the Transformers comics you guys recommend and what order to read them?

If you want something not tied into a larger continuity I'd heavily recommend Transformers vs GI Joe and Go-Bots, both by Tom Scioli

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dabir posted:

While I'm thinking about it, anyone know an upgrade kit for Siege Megatron that fixes the giant gaping forearm voids? They really bother me and it's near impossible to get a cool pose going that isn't proudly showing one of them off. It's crazy that they didn't spring for two extra parts to put flaps on there like Earthrise Optimus has.

Yes, I bought one like this from eBay.

That was the first result, I'm sure you can find a better/cheaper one now that you know what it looks like/they exist. Maybe you can get the files and get someone to print one for you.

The world of aftermarket upgrade kits is a pricy one, to be sure.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yes, I bought one like this from eBay.

That was the first result, I'm sure you can find a better/cheaper one now that you know what it looks like/they exist. Maybe you can get the files and get someone to print one for you.

The world of aftermarket upgrade kits is a pricy one, to be sure.

That looks like exactly what I wanted, cheers! It's a little unclear how it attaches from those photos, but I'm sure I'll work it out. Not easy to find on the UK version of the site, either. How well does it stay closed when posing? And how does it stay closed? Just a stiff hinge?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Medullah posted:

Start with Last Stand Of The Wreckers, it's a largely stand-alone story with mostly B/C list characters, but gets you started in the universe quite nicely.

Then go to the IDW Phase 2 books and follow along.

If you're feeling retro, try Target: 2006 from Marvel UK, it's a 30+ year old story, and it shows, but it's a classic for a reason!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dabir posted:

That looks like exactly what I wanted, cheers! It's a little unclear how it attaches from those photos, but I'm sure I'll work it out. Not easy to find on the UK version of the site, either. How well does it stay closed when posing? And how does it stay closed? Just a stiff hinge?

They stay closed with, as you suggested, a stiff hinge. They attach to the underside of Megatron's forearms, if you look there are a bunch of hollow spots there that the raised areas on the upgrades fit into very snugly. It seems counterintuitive that when he is in tank mode you open the hinge completely instead closing it back over the folded fist, but it works well when you realize that's how it works (I initially didn't, the one I bought had no vehicle mode pictures.)

There are various color options floating about, pick the best one for you.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 25, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Looks like all of these kinds of things are a months long wait for them to be shipped from China. Ugh. Might just learn to deal with it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We're about to hit Chinese New Year, which basically means everything stops for a few weeks.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I just ordered this Bee movie Shockwave after watching a review. It scales with the 3Zero bots I already have. Pretty excited, but it won’t ship for a few weeks due to New Years.

https://showzstore.com/bingtoys-bt-01-silencer-shockwave_p3563.html

I’d post a photo, but I’m on mobile.

Here it is; but its sold out for now

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 26, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Been looking at my IDW Hardcover shelf today. Phase 3 volume 2 comes out in March. I think they need at least four more volumes to close out the series.

When does that license run out? I'm wondering if they'll accelerate the releases just to have a complete set out there.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The license runs out at the end of the year.

Not that I expect the trades to be impossible to get later on after some time ie: Marvel run, UK etc.

But yeah you got time to do it.

Aside from that we really need a transformer smilie that gives a thumbs up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Flattened Pipes throwing us the "I'm okay" thumb :unsmith:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Does anyone know of any cool weapons/accessory kits that might work for the core class figures? I think they have 3mm ports.

I saw a guy who had found a dollar-store pack with guns and wings and a jetpack.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
Hey BizarroAzrael did you get your Santa gift? I sent it early December from BC Canada but we were having crazy mail issues. Just wondering if it made it over there yet

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've made a discovery about Siege Megatron. (Excuse the terrible lighting)

His hands make pretty good ports to plug extra weapons into the turret if you leave them folded out. His vehicle mode is already giving up six of the ten ports he has in robot mode, so noticing that you can still use his hands is a big deal. That also means I could solve the forearm gaps with a much simpler filler plate and not even bother ever folding the hands away.

Bonus photo:

Battle Masters in his hands make decent footholds for Core-class figures.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, you will definitely be able to find a filler plate or the 3D printer files for one much easier than a hinged one.

Good idea!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If you don't have it Cyclonus is 58% off and only 19.00 from amazon.ca https://www.amazon.ca/Transformers-...08HGDNR79&psc=1

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Spike gets head articulation, at the cost of his brain.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Last Call posted:

If you don't have it Cyclonus is 58% off and only 19.00 from amazon.ca https://www.amazon.ca/Transformers-...08HGDNR79&psc=1

This was the last guy I needed to have everybody on the poster from the 86 movie, thanks!!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The crossover we didn't know we needed

https://twitter.com/cybertronicband/status/1487175070351040514

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I didn't know Blothar The Berserker was into Transformers cosplay!

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Knormal posted:

Spike gets head articulation, at the cost of his brain.

Gah!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Last Call posted:

is it possible to get this shipped to the US, or is this Canadian amazon only

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Ok Macho Magnus is pretty drat creative.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Missed opportunity for Hot Roddy Piper, but I'll let it slide

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I don't need this. I don't need this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HudH1dUiHE0

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Joe Fisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HudH1dUiHE0

I don't even have an attachment to armada megs, but drat does that toy look rad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The toy is great and I want it, but it loses points because the switchblade doesn't come out of his palm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I like that he’s a micromaster base