Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
If I remember correctly, you need to behead him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zombie Samurai posted:

This is the last MGS ever and the last Hideo Kojima game for who knows how long, so it's going to get passes on just about everything.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Endrion posted:

I'm running a GTX 750, hence the confusion. There are things that, as of late, a lot of benchmarking sites and software say I should have no business running, but I still pull off. MGS5 being my best example, runs like butter at medium to high. Everything else on this rig is reasonably hefty, no shortage of disk space, ram, etc.

It will run at low quality on a 1GB 750, medium/PS4 quality on a 2GB 750ti.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Centipeed posted:

I've been playing Shadow of Mordor.

I'm a little confused. There's one warchief or captain or whatever he is that keeps coming back. I've killed him FOUR times, according to the runes I've collected from his dead body, but I'll be swanning around doing something light and suddenly he'll appear over a hill. His bio says he has a burning hatred for me.

But is that enough to bring someone back to life? Also why is he coming back to life.
He will stop coming back when you decapitate him, he also probably has an "unkillable" trait which lets him come back to life harder (but not after decapitation).

Orv
May 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Not Steam but since this is the de facto pc gaming thread: has there been much activity for Rainbow Six: Siege? It seems like it might be cool when I briefly tried it before but it has flown almost entirely under the radar.

Closed beta starts the 24th. The alpha was abysmal.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hellburger99 posted:

Not sure what part of MGS is shonky game design aside from all the clearly tacked-on multiplay/microtransaction/daily reward bullshit that I'm sure was forced on them by Konami. Most of the criticisms of gameplay I'm seeing on line are outrage that it isn't just "walk down this 5 minute hallway to trigger an hour long cutscene about technobabble" like MGS4 was.

Hour long monologues are what MGS has done until now so I can relate to the people who missed it. I got to the part where you're riding in a Jeep with Skull Face and I was like yea this is what I remember from MGS, long monologues. I think the gameplay itself has gotten a lot better with this installment. I also think that the open world probably did MGS more harm than good. The resources and staff stuff is grindy, but its also not necessary to grind it to beat the game.

Its not by any means a stinky piece of poo poo, but it has flaws and I think that a lot of the flaws pointed out are correct. The AI is pretty dumb, you can beat almost any mission that doesn't involve blowing up a million tanks by just crawling along the ground to the objective even if you're crawling right in front of enemies they're pretty much blind as bats. But that was also almost always part of metal gear, I think I spent most of mgs2 and 3 on my stomach crawling from one boss to the next. The tapes are a neat idea, but I really miss the codec stuff because the codec was part of the stupid poo poo that you could do and it just isn't there with the radio.

If you are playing it, its best to skip the stupid grindy poo poo because that will burn you out and just go for the main missions until you beat the game, but that is pretty much true for all open world titles. They are all full of bloaty poo poo and dead space but being able to have 'open world' and '80+ hours to beat' are the buzz words to sell games so publishers really push for them. At least you can skip most of it and just play the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Slate Action posted:

If I remember correctly, you need to behead him.
Nah, orcs can get better from that too. They'll come back sporting a stylish metal collar.

You're probably stuck with the guy; just play on, you'll eventually unlock the ability to turn orcs to your side and then the real political backstabbery begins.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A great many of my early MSG hours were spent deciding between holding W towards some waypoint(at some base I've been at several times to do slightly different things) several km away for a few minutes or going to my helicoptor to waypoint closer to there but having to go through several loading screens and burn my money.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rainbow Six Siege seems like it might be fun if I didn't know that it is going to be a $60+ multiplayer only title with a $20-$30 season pass, customization DLC sold for ridiculous prices, and a life that will be measured in weeks on the PC.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

He will stop coming back when you decapitate him, he also probably has an "unkillable" trait which lets him come back to life harder (but not after decapitation).

If only it were possible to mod in decapitated enemies appearing with screws and metal splints holding their heads on post decapitation.

Really though, I loved the guys that I murdered half a dozen times or more, and just kept coming back. It was always a little sad when one of them finally did bite it.

anilEhilated posted:

Nah, orcs can get better from that too. They'll come back sporting a stylish metal collar.

You're probably stuck with the guy; just play on, you'll eventually unlock the ability to turn orcs to your side and then the real political backstabbery begins.

Wait really? I have never seen that happen.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kibayasu posted:

Rainbow Six Siege seems like it might be fun if I didn't know that it is going to be a $60+ multiplayer only title with a $20-$30 season pass, customization DLC sold for ridiculous prices, and a life that will be measured in weeks on the PC.

Yeah, it was fun enough for trying it during the alpha but it certainly was...shallow? It's basically the battlefield engine in close quarters, plus some minor destruction.

I guess it's tricky doing the tactical stuff for multiplayer, but it was certainly a lot more "blow everything to poo poo" and less "squad tactics"

The house was fun but the airplane was garbage.

Oh well, Hardline is on sale for like 20 bucks so I'll try that instead.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Underwhelmed posted:

If only it were possible to mod in decapitated enemies appearing with screws and metal splints holding their heads on post decapitation.

Really though, I loved the guys that I murdered half a dozen times or more, and just kept coming back. It was always a little sad when one of them finally did bite it.

Wait really? I have never seen that happen.

I like the system since it prompts more of a connection with named enemies (I especially like that if ordinary enemies manage to kill you they can be promoted), I just don't like that this guy will suddenly appear out of nowhere.

It seems he just follows me around, whereas I'd rather he only be a nuisance if I'm in his territory.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I look forward to, in a year, buying four copies of Siege for $15 a pop and getting a bunch of time out of Terrorist Hunt with friends, and that's about my interest in Siege at this point.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its a shame no other game has yet copied the nemesis system. It would've been a good addition to the Mad Max game, for example.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Reason posted:

Hour long monologues are what MGS has done until now so I can relate to the people who missed it. I got to the part where you're riding in a Jeep with Skull Face and I was like yea this is what I remember from MGS, long monologues.

You mean the Jeep scene where Snake awkwardly stares at Skull Face for a good few minutes, not saying a thing?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its a shame no other game has yet copied the nemesis system. It would've been a good addition to the Mad Max game, for example.

It was released not even a year ago and most triple A games are probably locked in feature wise during their last year of development.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You mean the Jeep scene where Snake awkwardly stares at Skull Face for a good few minutes, not saying a thing?

yea. it was classic MGS.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mierenneuker posted:

It was released not even a year ago and most triple A games are probably locked in feature wise during their last year of development.
You would think seeing is that WB owns both Mordor and Mad Max they could have pulled it off.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Orv posted:

I look forward to, in a year, buying four copies of Siege for $15 a pop and getting a bunch of time out of Terrorist Hunt with friends, and that's about my interest in Siege at this point.

At which point the gaming executives of the world will go "oh I guess people just don't want tactical shooters anymore" and pump out more battlefield games.

drat it all, I just want SWAT 5 :negative:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Centipeed posted:

It seems he just follows me around, whereas I'd rather he only be a nuisance if I'm in his territory.

He's following you because you killed him four odd times. Orcs are vindictive fuckers.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

socialsecurity posted:

A great many of my early MSG hours were spent deciding between holding W towards some waypoint(at some base I've been at several times to do slightly different things) several km away for a few minutes or going to my helicoptor to waypoint closer to there but having to go through several loading screens and burn my money.

Hey! There were probably numerous scary enemy outposts between you and those checkpoints!

That you can completely avoid by running any further out than a 45m radius around them. Which will be easy because of loving huge empty map.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No it's difficult because of my compulsive fulton disorder.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i will take the unpopular opinion and say that mgsv is a fantastic game and you should really get it even at full price.

I'm also not a mgs fan this is literally the first one i've played. judging just on the gameplay it's a really really good game, and the fact it doesn't stick to the ubisoft formula of open world games is incredibly refreshing.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

socialsecurity posted:

Or just going to the ACC which is free and can drop you off anywhere :eng101:

Edit: Dang that's a good point. I'm early enough where redeploying at "full price" doesn't bother me much tho.

Morter fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 13, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Morter posted:

If you go to the command center via the menu you have to redeploy all your equipment at full price (even if you still had max stock of it) and still sit through the same amount of loading screens.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Morter posted:

or airdrop a vehicle, or use the box delivery system

a large amount of the criticism i've seen in this thread about mgs5 is baseless. the world is as empty as required to give you multiple approaches to outposts and bases. if you weren't allowed to avoid outposts then people would complain about being forced into taking them out every time they passed one (see far cry 2). the core gameplay is great and the online systems are far from the worst implementation i've seen. the servers were having trouble a couple of days past launch but the trouble lately has been more steam than the servers.

The Iron Rose posted:

i will take the unpopular opinion and say that mgsv is a fantastic game and you should really get it even at full price.

I'm also not a mgs fan this is literally the first one i've played. judging just on the gameplay it's a really really good game, and the fact it doesn't stick to the ubisoft formula of open world games is incredibly refreshing.
same

e: if you think GMP is an issue sell some of those plants you see everywhere, or any of the defensive structures you can fulton which sell for more than the cost to fulton them, or precious metals

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

or airdrop a vehicle, or use the box delivery system

a large amount of the criticism i've seen in this thread about mgs5 is baseless. the world is as empty as required to give you multiple approaches to outposts and bases. if you weren't allowed to avoid outposts then people would complain about being forced into taking them out every time they passed one (see far cry 2).

The biggest and most often-spoken complaint about the open world that you have ignored for some reason (the reason is selective hearing) is that there are large stretches of nothing inbetween outposts that may as well just be corridors. They're single-width long and winding roads with hills on either side in Afghanistan, and big open plains full of trees and non-scale-able hills in Africa. They're just lines connecting circles on the map.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 13, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The biggest and most often-spoken complaint about the open world that you have ignored for some reason (the reason is selective hearing) is that there are large stretches of nothing inbetween outposts that may as well just be corridors. They're single-width long and winding roads with hills on either side in Afghanistan, and big open plains full of trees and non-scale-able hills in Africa. They're just lines connecting circles on the map.

Ah yes, the sprawling high-density metropolis that is Afghanistan.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

And is that supposed to justify the empty space? Make the roads shorter. Tighten up the map. Knock away some of Afghanistan's huge inexplicable impassable mountain range. Make there be interesting stuff to do or look at or literally anything on the paths between outposts that isn't plants for you to stop and collect.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Just popping in to post the Witcher 3 contest I have going on in the contest/gifting thread...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513572&pagenumber=926#post450165973

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, they should be realistic about how sparse real life Afghanistan is in a game that has a teleporting sniper boob woman, a guy who is literally on fire and giant robots.

It's not just more lazy, lovely padding like a large chunk of the game.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Quote is not edit ;nvm

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CJacobs posted:

They're there to accommodate side-ops. If you guys don't care about being spoiled then there's informed criticism going on in the spoiler thread, you can ask questions there from people who have beaten the game and are more than happy to poke holes in things.

Just don't expect much informed discussion here because it requires context, and it isn't fair to give that context and spoil things for people who haven't beaten the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

And is that supposed to justify the empty space? Make the roads shorter. Tighten up the map. Knock away some of Afghanistan's huge inexplicable impassable mountain range. Make there be interesting stuff to do or look at or literally anything on the paths between outposts that isn't plants for you to stop and collect.

Even if you think there's too much empty space... you don't have to interact with it at all? Maybe it's just there to give a sense of verisimilitude? You can just infil/exfil by chopper everywhere and not have to deal with it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Also I'm a fan of "More things to shoot/kill in open world games". For example, I find the open world of GTA5 very unengaging. However in this game I feel like you'd spend a lot more time belly crawling everywhere or just popping heads and using up resources if there were more enemies or "things to do" in terms of human interaction. On more than one occasion has the wide expanse of land between outposts saved my rear end.

I'm not saying it's the best but for what this game is, it's certainly worked out as intended for me.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Even if you think there's too much empty space... you don't have to interact with it at all? Maybe it's just there to give a sense of verisimilitude? You can just infil/exfil by chopper everywhere and not have to deal with it.

The problem is that you do have to interact with it if you don't want to waste a bunch of time on loading screens because the hills are actually impassable skyscrapers, which is why it seems like most of the chopper rides follow the allowed paths instead of flying in a straight line. And a lot of the better landing points require an ubi-esque task to unlock.

Like the bear capture mission, if you look at the map, has two entry points into the canyon. Except one of them is actually sealed off because there's no way to jump or climb unless the game explicitly lets you and they dumped a chopper wreck in front of the Official Climbing Crack. Whereas for its faults, Far Cry 4 just gave me a goofy travelling helicopter to throw dynamite off of as I puttered around the map.

There are other ways of getting around but all of them are time sinks that, for me, cross the line between fun and tedium. Using horse means no dog. Summoning a vehicle eats cash and honestly I find the driving engine to be pretty poor after Batman. Witcher 3 would have these problems but the world design is better for travelling around and you can jump/climb at your leisure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zachack posted:

And a lot of the better landing points require an ubi-esque task to unlock.

... Huh?

Unless you mean blowing up the AA guns (which is pretty far from an 'ubi-esque' task) I can't figure out what you mean by this.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

You can have the dog dropped in if you want the horse to start with.

Also Jesus people will never be happy

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

people will never be happy

Yeah that's pretty much the concept of goons distilled into a single sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Centipeed posted:

I like the system since it prompts more of a connection with named enemies (I especially like that if ordinary enemies manage to kill you they can be promoted), I just don't like that this guy will suddenly appear out of nowhere.

There's an ambusher trait orcs can have that does that. They are the nemeses you will end up hating the most precisely because they always show up when you're already half-dead and surrounded.

• Locked thread