Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

bawk posted:

Just to check, that's not "start at the last obstacle room", that's start over. It sends you back to the last bench you rested at, right?

Yep! Happened to me and I just walked away from the Path of Pain. I beat it in every way that mattered. I was not doing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

Curse of the time period where everybody tried to shoehorn in Souls mechanics into every single indie game, mostly ones that didn't benefit from it in the slightest

The most copied mechanic is probably dropping your souls on death and honestly not even Souls games benefit from that. It's even worse when some games like Salt and Sanctuary put a fun spin on it and spawn an enemy made of yours souls that you have to defeat. Now there's this annoying bat thing with too much hp in the middle of a challenging platforming area you're trying for the 8th time to clear. Even just having a bloodstain in the middle of a boss arena that makes a prompt come up every time you walk near it is annoying.

Just have me lose some amount ranging from none of them to all of them when I die.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Bee posted:

Yep! Happened to me and I just walked away from the Path of Pain. I beat it in every way that mattered. I was not doing it again.

Imagine going all the way back through it, finally finishing it, only to get basically the same information that you get after finding the secret area in the abyss :v:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is that Salt and Sanctuary sequel still a mire? I remember much griping about mage enemies during release.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it sort of landed with a thud because everyone was expecting another 2d souls like when it was actually monster hunter with giant zombie wizards

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oxxidation posted:

it sort of landed with a thud because everyone was expecting another 2d souls like when it was actually monster hunter with giant zombie wizards

Which would be fine - the problem is that it sucked. The non-wizard fights felt pretty good, but actually the combat design of the wizards was absolutely terrible, their attacks patterns, their AI, everything about fighting them felt like garbage. And the design of the monster-hunter-like elements, that is, getting armor sets to use to fight to get better armor sets, was also bad. The armor sets were basically one of five elements, and that was all that differentiated them. If you imagine MH armors like a branching tree of possibilities, with skills and such, the armor in Salt and Sacrifice was basically five straight lines, one of each element. So fighting the wizards wasn't fun, the rewards weren't worth it, and in the end it felt like a huge waste.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just finished Crisis Core, and the ending is touching but man, the idea that this super soldier, who has just (in my playthrough, anyway) fought a literal goddess, regenerates health every turn, can nuke everything around him with a rise of his hand, would be taken down by some soldiers is bunk. If they really wanted to have this happen, what should've happened is have the fight with the final boss drain him of all his strength, leaving him strong enough to fight, walk around, and put on a happy face for the person with him, but not strong enough to fight off an army.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Jun 20, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Morpheus posted:

I just finished Crisis Core, and the ending is touching but man, the idea that this super soldier, who has just (in my playthrough, anyway) fought a literal goddess, regenerates health every turn, can nuke everything around him with a rise of his hand, would be taken down by some soldiers is bunk. If they really wanted to have this happen, what should've happened is have the fight with the final boss drain him of all his strength, leaving him strong enough to fight, walk around, and put on a happy face for the person with him, but not strong enough to fight off an army.

That's something I liked about Type-0 - it ends with the class successfully killing a god, but they are so badly injured by the experience that they aren't going to last much longer

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Type-0 had one of the most bizarre and interesting facets about its world; that when you die, all memory of you is erased from everyone else's mind. This is handled clumsily and not really explored at all but super interesting anyway!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Many games do this but I’m replaying Ghost of Tsushima so: having to stand in a specific spot to initiate dialogue is very annoying.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

credburn posted:

Type-0 had one of the most bizarre and interesting facets about its world; that when you die, all memory of you is erased from everyone else's mind. This is handled clumsily and not really explored at all but super interesting anyway!

Yeah this makes absolutely no sense in any way that the game tries to explain it. The world's history would simply cease to be. Everyone would keep journals on them at all times to remind others of who they were, like dog tags. Murderers would be able to get away with everything while simultaneously having no idea what they've done or why. It's such a truly bizarre concept.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Yeah this makes absolutely no sense in any way that the game tries to explain it. The world's history would simply cease to be. Everyone would keep journals on them at all times to remind others of who they were, like dog tags. Murderers would be able to get away with everything while simultaneously having no idea what they've done or why. It's such a truly bizarre concept.

this is why killing enemies doesn't grant any experience, since from your characters' perspective battles never happened

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I finally bought Lightning Returns and I already hate it. It is on one hand interesting that the characters from the first game are now like a thousand years older and gods or whatever it is also the thing that just makes me not want to give a poo poo about anyone.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

credburn posted:

I finally bought Lightning Returns and I already hate it. It is on one hand interesting that the characters from the first game are now like a thousand years older and gods or whatever it is also the thing that just makes me not want to give a poo poo about anyone.

Did you play Final Fantasy XII-2 before hand? It doesn't bridge the difference much, but should have lowered your expectations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
You shouldn’t care about Snow in any game. But lightning returns is cool. My little thing bringing it down is that some of the costumes are embarrassing to look at

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

kazil posted:

Did you play Final Fantasy XII-2 before hand? It doesn't bridge the difference much, but should have lowered your expectations.

Yeah that was all around a trainwreck but I could put hats on monsters

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Meowywitch posted:

Curse of the time period where everybody tried to shoehorn in Souls mechanics into every single indie game, mostly ones that didn't benefit from it in the slightest

It's still going on and doesn't show any sign of going away. My least favorite iterations are the ones like Hollow Knight which decided dying needed to actively punish you somehow and so your bloodstain becomes a hostile obstacle or enemy that can really gently caress you up before you get your stuff back

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Fil5000 posted:

Batman Arkham Knight got a lot of poo poo for the Batmobile and while it IS overused, it didn't get on my nerves until the "now kill seven Cobra tanks" section before you go after the cloudburst tank. The Cobra tank has exactly one gimmick (shoot it in the back!) and adding more doesn't make the game harder, it just makes it take longer. It's not a test of your skills or of anything the previous encounters taught you, it's literally just padding. The fighting and the predator sections you can at least try out different weapons or impose rules on yourself (like, I dunno, every guard has to be taken down from a floor grate), the Cobras have no variation whatsoever. You get behind them, you shoot them, you run away from the other ones for a bit.

I am finally at the end of Arkham Knight (I'm not doing all the riddler poo poo, gently caress that) and I just fought Deathstroke.

It's another loving Cobra battle with Slade in another loving big tank. Rocksteady why. The Origins fight with him is great, why would you do this?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Which would be fine - the problem is that it sucked. The non-wizard fights felt pretty good, but actually the combat design of the wizards was absolutely terrible, their attacks patterns, their AI, everything about fighting them felt like garbage. And the design of the monster-hunter-like elements, that is, getting armor sets to use to fight to get better armor sets, was also bad. The armor sets were basically one of five elements, and that was all that differentiated them. If you imagine MH armors like a branching tree of possibilities, with skills and such, the armor in Salt and Sacrifice was basically five straight lines, one of each element. So fighting the wizards wasn't fun, the rewards weren't worth it, and in the end it felt like a huge waste.

Honestly even the non-mage enemies weren't great. It was like they forgot how to design good Souls style fights in general. You know those giant knights in the Dragon Shrine in DS2? And there's one with a two handed mace? And his moveset and poise is such that there's virtually no safe way to attack him making trying to fight him an annoying slog? Imagine if that was like a third of the enemies in the game. It was heartbreaking because I loved Salt and Sanctuary, but Salt and Sacrifice was just bad. The Monster Hunter style bit was ok conceptually but they did NOT execute it well.

I haven't been following the game since launch window, but if I were the developer I would either a) work on a massive overhaul and hope for a strong second launch on Steam (it was an Epic Game Store exclusive iirc) or b) just accept that the game was a dud and move on.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Fil5000 posted:

I am finally at the end of Arkham Knight (I'm not doing all the riddler poo poo, gently caress that) and I just fought Deathstroke.

It's another loving Cobra battle with Slade in another loving big tank. Rocksteady why. The Origins fight with him is great, why would you do this?

That whole storyline was so uninspired.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Spoilers for the end of Stray and the beginning of Tears of the Kingdom: I beat Stray right before starting TotK It's a little weird that the end of one game and the beginning of the other feature a silent protagonist exploring the ruins of a dead civilization, where constructs are unnervingly continuing their functions without their creators. And also your guide is a dead guy from the lost civilization.

Come up with original ideas, video games

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Philippe posted:

That whole storyline was so uninspired.

Slade is very much crowbarred in. It's like they went "Uh, this character disappears from the plot at this point but we still have these militia missions to go so... Deathstroke is in charge now."

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Professor Wayne posted:

Spoilers for the end of Stray and the beginning of Tears of the Kingdom: I beat Stray right before starting TotK It's a little weird that the end of one game and the beginning of the other feature a silent protagonist exploring the ruins of a dead civilization, where constructs are unnervingly continuing their functions without their creators. And also your guide is a dead guy from the lost civilization.

Come up with original ideas, video games

That idea has been present in like every single legend of Zelda game since Majoras Mask? I can’t think of it showing up in Ocarina of time but all the 3D ones since that have had at least one dungeon themed around it.

or on the case of skyward sword the entire game. It’s supposed to be the very beginning of the series and it’s STILL feels like you’re playing after the apocalypse while it’s completely obsessed with all the poo poo that happened before.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I guess it's not really bringing it down. Zelda's going to Zelda, and the game is really fun so far. But it was really weird playing the games back to back and seeing the similarities

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Memories of playing Breath of the Wild and Horizon: Zero Dawn back to back.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I remember someone else mentioned this in here but I didn't really appreciate it then having not played the game in ages. But I'm playing through the Spyro Reignited trilogy and 3 is really quite rough with how often it makes you do stuff other than play as basic Spyro. Between flying missions (which have always been mediocre) and other characters and swimming and skateboarding I'm just constantly wishing the game would just let me play as Spyro in this Spyro game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Spyro 3 goes kinda overboard with all the play modes.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Crash 3 had the same problem. For whatever reason they thought the way to go was adding in as many game types as possible rather than focusing on the core.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That idea has been present in like every single legend of Zelda game since Majoras Mask? I can’t think of it showing up in Ocarina of time but all the 3D ones since that have had at least one dungeon themed around it.

or on the case of skyward sword the entire game. It’s supposed to be the very beginning of the series and it’s STILL feels like you’re playing after the apocalypse while it’s completely obsessed with all the poo poo that happened before.

Pretty much all the temple dungeons in OOT have that vibe to some extent. E.g. the Shiekah are (nearly?) extinct but their ancient temple beneath Kakariko (the Shadow Temple) still has functional laser robots and spinny blades and stuff in it. One must assume that all the traps are maintained and powered by the ghost/zombie population.

Also totk directlty lifted the name of its spirit guide (Rauru) from oot's.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zinkraptor posted:

Crash 3 had the same problem. For whatever reason they thought the way to go was adding in as many game types as possible rather than focusing on the core.

At least with Spyro, insomniac was done with the series after Year of The Dragon pretty much because they felt the well had run dry wrt new ideas, so from that perspective it’s not that weird that Year of the Dragon was just chock full of new gimmicks; Insomniac was burnt out on vanilla Spyro gameplay, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Naughty Dog felt the same way.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I started playing Fallout 4 on Xbox after exploring everything in Fallout 76 (both are on gamepass). I have spent so much time exploring and building up my settlements that I have burned out before even making it to the institute.

Also when this game crashes it crashes hard. A full 5 seconds of blaring crash noise

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I wish you could make anything as cool as the pre-existing buildings and clutter.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Zinkraptor posted:

And that's why I never 100%ed the third one.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I just finished my first playthrough of Borderlands 3, which concludes with Lilith (who was a playable character in the first game and the key NPC of the second and third) sacrificing herself to save the world. As hackneyed and forced as the moment felt, there was still a small part of me that appreciated it as the finale for a series that I've poured hundreds of hours into. So I was smiling as the game faded to the credits, a smile that disappeared when this song started playing over them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J91ti_MpdHA

:nallears:

Borderlands has never been known for its subtlety, but picking some random-rear end pop song just because it has the words "fire" and "girl" in the title (because Lilith has fire powers, you see) to punctuate what's supposed to be a touching moment is the series at its absolute bluntest.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

Also totk directlty lifted the name of its spirit guide (Rauru) from oot's.

This is Tears’s new biggest example but both TotK and BotW are packed with nods to the rest of the games; another example comes in the form of a marsh in the center-east region featuring a bunch of little islands with names lifted straight from Phantom Hourglass of all things.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands:
Too many threats are close to the ground. Small enemies, energy blasts travelling across the ground, damaging element puddles, etc. Trying to aim down sights to target enemy weak points is really annoying when I need to be constantly aware of things happening below my eyeline. Headcrabs in Half-Life were kinda like that, but they weren't omnipresent. It gets even worse at higher levels and with the Blightcaller class, since there's just so many effects happening on the screen at once.

I'm also not super impressed by the supposed improvements to melee so far. Even playing a dedicated melee build, I find it pretty underpowered and uninteresting, as well as practical suicide against bosses. Making it too good would probably be weird in a shooter, but considering how many melee weapons I pick up as loot, it feels weak.

Suleman has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Jun 21, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just beat Axiom Verge after getting every item on a guide showing all the items I'd missed, and all the areas had the little circle showing that all the items were collected, but SOMEHOW I STILL MISSED ONE! I think it's a health shard or something but it's so annoying. 99% items, 100% map.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Philippe posted:

I wish you could make anything as cool as the pre-existing buildings and clutter.

There's a lot that the modding community has been able to squeeze into the settlement building over the years, to the point that you can level out the entirety of a preexisting settlement and build however you'd like. I fired all of that up and then got to Sanctuary, started flipping through options, and got burned out between getting the mods working and planning out what I want to build before implementing much at all :v:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Little thing dragging down every fighting game: when I'm playing online multiplayer why can't I choose my starting side and if my opponent chooses the same side that's fine too because how the location you're fighting in displays should be completely arbitrary and you should both seem like you're starting on the P1 side if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

you gotta learn how to hadouken to the left