Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not "suddenly or abruptly," they spent years planning it together.

Well, since they did that, that must perforce preclude any deception or misdirection.

quote:

Iji in particular has a better grasp of the setting's metaphysics than we do as an audience. He's the one who pieces together every resource they'll need and every obstacle that'll have to be removed to complete the plan when it's not obvious to anyone else, Ranni herself included.

Does he ? Where are you even getting that stuff ? The game merely states that he's old and he's been counseling Ranni for a long, long time. That's it. Everything else you say is projection and plain invention.

quote:

The only way to arrive at what you're suggesting is a Drax-level literal reading of a single badly translated line in a sentence where it's supposed to modify a different clause.

Ah. I see where the problem is. You trust what people say.
Rather than what they *do*.

quote:

Nothing else supports the idea that a character -- who frets that her friends-verging-on-family who have known her since birth are too willing to sacrifice for her, who asks you to relay her love to them after she's already won, left, and no longer needs them for anything -- is secretly planning to reduce everything to constituent atoms.

Well, nothing besides the fact that she does, in fact, go on her journey and leaves them all behind. Oh, sure, she "'frets". Or pretends like she frets. In the actual world, Seluvis gets murdered by his puppets, Wolfboy goes insane with grief, Iji keeps on gooning because now YOU'RE THE ONE, PLAYER, isn't it great ? How she casts aside pets that aren't useful anymore in favor of a guy she met yesterday ?! And she has not ONE word for them.
Truly she cares, though, for real this time.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think you have a very cogent understanding of the game

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Lol if you don't think all the gods are sociopaths.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

SkeletonHero posted:

I love Goldmask. STEM kid Jesus rules-lawyers the gods with math, it's beautiful.

I loving hate his simp Corbyn so I literally just left him at the Mountaintops without giving him the tonic.

I was thinking of doing a faith build next run but now I am feeling like doing a Gurranq build and just going straight beast mode.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

War Wizard posted:

Lol if you don't think all the gods are sociopaths.

Real or imagined this seems to be the case.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

I loving hate his simp Corbyn so I literally just left him at the Mountaintops without giving him the tonic.

I was thinking of doing a faith build next run but now I am feeling like doing a Gurranq build and just going straight beast mode.

Corbyn is a great cautionary tale about letting close-minded fanatics near revolutionary thinkers.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

War Wizard posted:

Corbyn is a great cautionary tale about letting close-minded fanatics near revolutionary thinkers.

Yeah he really should have purged the hard-right out the party when he had the power imo

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think it rules that you can get so many varied responses from the endings.

Chaos Man: What if we burned everything down, total destruction, a new big bang? It's for the best. HAHAHAHAHAHA EVIL CACKLE I ATE YOUR FRIEND AND I'M WEARING HIM AS A SKIN SUIT.
Melina: You're an idiot. You're an impossible moron, so unbelievably stupid I will murder you myself.
Player: *on fire* Boy, everyone is stupid except me.

Ranni: The Great Will and their Fingers stink. Lets get a new world order. How do you feel about the moon?
Player: Yeah but can I marry you.
Ranni: Sure.
Other Players: Hah, simps.
Ranni: After all, you're the only reason my plan succeeded, powerful enough to defeat the standing Elden Lord and take his place and you pretty much saved my life 3 times over(doll mode, the shadow sent to kill her, revived after killing that Finger went pretty badly!)
Other Players: Do you think that bond is real, she's sociopathic!
Ranni: Hey, I don't know what lies ahead and it's the symbolic darkness of the series representing unknown and uncertainty, but you came this far because you're devoted to me and agree that the Great Will stinks, and I'm not Varre and his Blood God, yeah?
Player: Sounds cool. I guess that leaving the realm in darkness or under moon influence is cool compared to the guaranteed rot we had, and since everything is themed around immortal beings I have faith we'll actually come back in a thousand years in my head canon.
Other Players: IF SHE BREATHES, SHE'S A THOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I think all interpretations are valid and cool, these are just how I picked up on those particular endings and the chuckle I have at some of the pushback or support they get. As part of Marika it's plausible that Melina isn't a 100% truthful and benign actor, and as the orchestrator of so much Ranni isn't squeaky clean either. And Chaos is surprisingly reasonable for a burn it all down ending, as in at all.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 19, 2023

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Player: *covered in diarrhea* Boy, everyone is stupid except me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There's something about Demon's Souls that none of the other games quite captured again and the remake completely whiffed on. Atmosphere is probably the right word for it - Souls of Mist has to be the best song to put you in the right mood for a game ever. There's a strangeness missing from the other entries - I've always enjoyed how weird it was in comparison to the more solid medieval fantasy of the other games.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Doomykins posted:

Player: Boy, everyone is covered in diarrhea including me.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Hey guys, its been a month since I've posted here, please fill me in with the vast amounts of information we have for the upcoming DLC for this hit video game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

Hey guys, its been a month since I've posted here, please fill me in with the vast amounts of information we have for the upcoming DLC for this hit video game.

Here you go:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There will be multiple mounts.

One is a turtle. How does it go fast? It spins in its shell like Gamera. You're welcome.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Here you go:

From Software, I didn't believe it at first but you've done it again!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kobal2 posted:

Ah. I see where the problem is. You trust what people say.
Rather than what they *do*.

Your entire argument hinges on believing a single spoken line over what people do all game, you illiterate.

I don't know why I bother.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You guys are both more than welcome to stop imo

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
How come you can’t just become Elden Lord and fix the shithole Lands Between yourself? Like, you already proved you can kill anyone nbd so like, they bow to you now—no?

Tell them to bend the knee or purge them.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

How come you can’t just become Elden Lord and fix the shithole Lands Between yourself? Like, you already proved you can kill anyone nbd so like, they bow to you now—no?

Tell them to bend the knee or purge them.

You do. That's most of the endings.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i found ranni's quest hilarious because she's about one "baka" away from being the stereotypical tsundere archetype. the final shot of her ending is literally reaching out her hand to the player character, which clashes with the reading "she wants a nhilistic world in which everyone is alone" so hard it's hilarious. it's pretty blatant that ranni doesn't actually want to be alone, as much as she insists on it

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's something about Demon's Souls that none of the other games quite captured again and the remake completely whiffed on. Atmosphere is probably the right word for it - Souls of Mist has to be the best song to put you in the right mood for a game ever. There's a strangeness missing from the other entries - I've always enjoyed how weird it was in comparison to the more solid medieval fantasy of the other games.

i think having each stage separated and only connected by the nexus created a sense of claustrophobia and actually being trapped in a way none of the more open games could quite replicate

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If you have to bust out "perforce" in an attempt to win an argument over video games, you lose by default. Sorry, them's the rules.

Shyrka posted:

I loving love Melina's dialogue on the mountaintops and down in the three fingers basement. She's just so loving firm about, "Look, this isn't anyone's destiny or anyone's plan, it's my decision and I refuse to let anyone decide for me." Yass queen, you go off!

I've never been able to do the Frenzied Flame, or even the take-backsies with Miquella's Needle because I'm just so swept up in Melina's energy.

The level up waifus are always internally referred to as "heroine" and Elden Ring is the first time it really feels like it fits.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Shyrka posted:

I loving love Melina's dialogue on the mountaintops and down in the three fingers basement. She's just so loving firm about, "Look, this isn't anyone's destiny or anyone's plan, it's my decision and I refuse to let anyone decide for me." Yass queen, you go off!

I've never been able to do the Frenzied Flame, or even the take-backsies with Miquella's Needle because I'm just so swept up in Melina's energy.

I felt like that until I gave myself to Chaos. It's liberating to free yourself of your Maiden. It feels like a significant meaningful choice beyond choosing the middle finger.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

I felt like that until I gave myself to Chaos. It's liberating to free yourself of your Maiden. It feels like a significant meaningful choice beyond choosing the middle finger.

That furled finger from Varre is dope though. No more having to buy them.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Try Shadow Tower: Abyss, it has a very unique setting and you start with a gun before moving to melee, and then back to bigger guns.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i found ranni's quest hilarious because she's about one "baka" away from being the stereotypical tsundere archetype.

She literally goes "Forgetti beam ♥" at you after she gets too candid with her feelings.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Groovelord Neato posted:

Looked this up and it was really nice

What did they replace it with

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Televisio Frankus posted:

Try Shadow Tower: Abyss, it has a very unique setting and you start with a gun before moving to melee, and then back to bigger guns.

Seconded. It's also a really quick game and is a lot more player friendly than the King's Fields. If you're going to give old-souls a whirl it's the easiest entry point.

The currency system is really neat in particular. You trade blood (health) for items, and you can really only heal by potions so you're generally trading healing for something you really want. Potions only heal you to your maximum, so you've doing a weird min-max thing trying to spend as much of your blood as you can before healing. Also, a side effect of all this is that you can only buy something really expensive if you've boosted your hp high enough. It's a really neat system.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Your entire argument hinges on believing a single spoken line over what people do all game, you illiterate.

You're lying, and you're rude. Stop that.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Kobal2 posted:

You're lying, and you're rude. Stop that.

Says the weirdo replying to actual lore analysis with "pussy got you acting unwise" quips. TC can be prickly and argumentative at times, but they're consistently willing to think critically and source poo poo - provided the person they're talking to isn't dropping bizarre, smug, unsubstantiated clapbacks in an effort to appear cool. You can disagree on lore interpretation if you like (we all do so constantly, it's a From soulslike for christ's sake), but this thing you're doing now sucks and it'd be nice if you could knock it off.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Angry Diplomat posted:

Says the weirdo replying to actual lore analysis with "pussy got you acting unwise" quips. TC can be prickly and argumentative at times, but they're consistently willing to think critically and source poo poo - provided the person they're talking to isn't dropping bizarre, smug, unsubstantiated clapbacks in an effort to appear cool. You can disagree on lore interpretation if you like (we all do so constantly, it's a From soulslike for christ's sake), but this thing you're doing now sucks and it'd be nice if you could knock it off.

So far they've made a number of assertions (about the game, AND me) without sourcing *poo poo*. Whereas I've quoted the game multiple times and never insulted anyone (that quip was just that - a quip. Meant to make people (well, mostly myself, but I assume other people also, possibly) laugh, not "appear cool".).

EDIT : I did make a mistake, however, when I said "she leaves without ONE word for her posse". She *does* tell you to tell Bleidd she loves him. Why she couldn't bother doing it herself/leaving him a note before hitting the bricks, eeeeh something something she cares.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 20, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

So far they've made a number of assertions (about the game, AND me) without sourcing *poo poo*. Whereas I've quoted the game multiple times and never insulted anyone (that quip was just that - a quip. Meant to make people (well, mostly myself, but I assume other people also, possibly) laugh, not "appear cool".).

Angry Diplomat posted:

It'd be nice if you could knock it off.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

It would be nice if people stopped insulting me and lying, too, but here we are.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

It would be nice if people stopped insulting me and lying, too, but here we are.

Dude you're being lame and making the thread about yourself, just stfu and post normally

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Looked this up and it was really nice

What did they replace it with

Like with a lot of songs they added extra poo poo to make every song more "epic". Souls of Mist is a perfect song so any deviation would've been lesser but the sparseness of the piece is what makes it so powerful and they added vocals and extra instrumentation. I think it detracts from the mood the original set. And I'm not someone who was an early Demon's Souls adherent I didn't play it until I'd already played Dark Souls I and II and Bloodborne (I was late to the Dark Souls train too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdtGbNhbtaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeH8XGopDGU

The soundtrack is full of poor replacements and some don't sound anything like the original and often iconic pieces but this one bugs me the most because of how much I love the song.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 20, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

No Dignity posted:

Dude you're being lame and making the thread about yourself, just stfu and post normally

*I'm* the one making it about me ? That's pretty loving rich.

Moving on : where are the other Three Fingers ? We of course know the one, who's presumably the Kaathe to the Round Table's Frampt ; but there are other pairs of fingers out there divorced from the rest of their original whole hand - the one Ranni killed, the dead one atop Stormveil blessed tower, probably others I haven't found yet. It's pretty clear (even if you don't listen to all the Frenzied Flame malarkey) that they were once whole, but now apart for... Reasons (murky, unclear).

But it follows that for each Two Fingers, there must perforce (yes, *perforce*, John Murdoch.) be a Three Fingers out and about. Are there any in the game however, besides the Frenzy one ?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I support Ranni (even if I really like the Frenzied Flame ending) because after she leaves, the world will evolve into Yharnam... :getin:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Groovelord Neato posted:

The soundtrack is full of poor replacements and some don't sound anything like the original and often iconic pieces but this one bugs me the most because of how much I love the song.

Yeah the remaster sound design in general pales to the OG.

The most glaring example is whatshisname you free from the Prison Tower. In the OG you could always tell how far away he was by how much you could hear him. And it was SUPER CREEPY to hear him screaming from far away and realize you are getting closer and closer and oh god what is that? The sound attenuates 1:1 with distance and it’s perfect.

The remaster is: he always sounds maximum distance away until you are literally right in front of his cell. Then he sounds close up. The attenuation curve is completely flat then shoots to the sky once you’re with 3 steps of him. It sucks and takes away a lot from the experience.

So what was one of the coolest parts of the atmosphere of what is perhaps considered the most atmospheric Souls level was just completely tanked in the remaster.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think much of it is the audio for me. The ambient background sounds is a huge part of the atmosphere of des, something the entire rest of the series don't quite have. It really does sound like you're in a damp, oppressive shithole

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
it's a perfectly technically capable remaster bringing the games up to the modern graphical sensibilities, it's just that the original level design was v characteristic of DeS and now it feels like every game ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

goblin week posted:

it's a perfectly technically capable remaster bringing the games up to the modern graphical sensibilities, it's just that the original level design was v characteristic of DeS and now it feels like every game ever

Also "modern graphical sensibilities" means it looks like every game ever. Apologies if that's what you meant and I missed it.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think much of it is the audio for me. The ambient background sounds is a huge part of the atmosphere of des, something the entire rest of the series don't quite have. It really does sound like you're in a damp, oppressive shithole

That's true and Tower of Latria in the remake has the same absence sapping it of its atmosphere.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 20, 2023