Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Just wear dark-colored compression shorts or compression leggings. Cycling stuff works well. I wear my bike shorts for hours outside on a bicycle - briefly slipping athletic shorts over them after taking leathers off does not even cross my mind. I can also fit mildly-slim athletic shorts (such as for running or soccer...no pockets) inside my leathers with no serious bunching or chafing.

That's a good idea, definitely gonna pick some of those up. I'm the only guy at the track walking around in leathers there.

I'm actually surprised at how well I nailed the sizing on the track pants. Everything I've read points to off-the-shelf stuff being hard to fit, but with a few emails to Newenough I got tight fitting leathers that I could wear from 8-5. I actually drove my truck to the track wearing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

JP Money posted:

Probably not for a street bike. Maaybe sumo. They're stiffer in the ankle region than sport bike type boots and made to lift your leg to shift. Street boots flex a bit more in the ankle so you aren't lifting your whole leg up to shift.

To be more specific - what kind of riding do you do?

Between May and September I ride my DRZ on a gocart track once a week, and that was mainly what I had in mind for these. Otherwise my riding is mostly gooning around town on the DRZ or small country roads on the SV combined with one or two longer trips (2000km+) each year.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Z3n posted:

There are a few companies out there that make custom leathers for really cheap. I have a friend who just got some, and I can find out the name from her if you're interested.

Another option is waiting around for sales and closeouts, my wife has a Frank Thomas one piece that we picked up for $200. With some better armor it should protect quite well. Women's gear can get really cheap on sale , but fit is much more finicky, so a good return policy is essential.

Thanks for the info - looks like I might wait around for some jacket/pants closeouts.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Between May and September I ride my DRZ on a gocart track once a week, and that was mainly what I had in mind for these. Otherwise my riding is mostly gooning around town on the DRZ or small country roads on the SV combined with one or two longer trips (2000km+) each year.

I think for the go-cart track they'd be fine since you're riding aggressively anyway but for longer trips you'll probably want street boots. MX boots are kind of a pain to walk in for a while imo since they're so drat stiff in the ankle. Most of the good ones don't let your ankle flex all that much when properly ratcheted up so they can be kind of weird to get used to.

If you really want MX boots for the track I'd go for a comfortable street boot and a used pair of MX ones off craigslist or something. That being said I've never really felt like my A* SMX-Plus's weren't adequate safety for my ankles on the sumo and they at least give you a little wiggle room when wearing them around town.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

If it helps, I just got some Sidi Vertigo boots in my size off of Craigslist and I've found them quite comfortable for riding and decent for walking around. Almost like a ski boot the way they clomp when walking but a lot easier to maneuver.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I wore A* Tech 3's on my KTM and they were very secure feeling but I did feel less connected to the bike. I also had to do the whole "move leg to shift" thing. The bike is nicely set up for them, though, with grippy large pegs and generous lever clearance.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
If you are going to drop that money on MX boots, look at the fancy sidi ones as well. They offer a SM sole and I think are double hinged so they are a bit more flexy than the tech10s. I have the Tech7 SMs and love them for when I am going for a ride or something, but if you are commuting they are a pain. They break in after a while and flex some, but not much.

I find that lifting my whole leg to shift gives me a cramp at the very top of my thigh after a while if I'm way up on the tank, so I started shifting by rocking my boot onto it's left edge by swinging my knee away from the bike instead. Less effort and quicker, but takes some getting used to.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
motorcycle gear 10% coupon, expires tomorrow. somebody use it

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/code/F13BA7067B2A

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Ghost Cactus posted:

Is there a specific women's jacket/pant setup you'd recommend? It looks like if I want to stick with Alpinestars, these pants and this jacket are my options. I don't really care about styling - I'd wear men's gear if it fit - I just want to be safe & comfy. :)
Ohh, did not realize you were a girl!

Unfortunately I can't give any personal recommendations for women's jackets because to be honest I very rarely see them. But, one thing that I will say is if you do decide on a one piece don't don't don't buy it without trying it on first (or buy it somewhere where you can return it without hassles). Women's gear can be a pain in the butt because every woman is proportioned so differently. I know for a fact that the A/S Stella 1pc have a VERY odd fit.

If you can get a good fit with men's gear, go for it! I don't know your proportions and I won't ask, but A/S does make some pretty tiny men's jackets (36" chest on some models) if you need that. The main difference between men's and women's gear is that women's gear has more tapered hips and more room in the chest to accommodate boobs. There's also more pricepoints and different styles with men's gear, but other than that there is no inherent difference.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Are there any dB reducing earbuds (>20 at least) that have passable quality and volume? I'm looking for something for music and bluetooth communication that I can hear over highway wind and obnoxious slipons while not going deaf.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Bixington posted:

Are there any dB reducing earbuds (>20 at least) that have passable quality and volume? I'm looking for something for music and bluetooth communication that I can hear over highway wind and obnoxious slipons while not going deaf.

There's a pretty good headphone thread in the A/V arena. Lots of earbud talk there.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Some google-fu with that thread pulled up some options, thanks. If anybody has experience with any, though, I'd still like to hear.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Bixington posted:

I used Klipsch S4 earbuds for touring, really decent sound insulation and they're actually great earphones too.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I have a $5 pair of RCA ear buds from Family Dollar. They are ear plug like, but not foamy material like canal phones. Work good now that I have a helmet that doesn't jam them into my ears. And, when I eventually break them I won't care.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Etymotic ER6is are still my favorite, but I'm not an audiophile. Great noise reduction and good quality, slim profile and fit very well under a helmet.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I also have a pair of ER6i's and I'll say they're quite good. Be wary of the connector, though: mine went out after about six moths of use. I still have them and plan on re-cabling them very soon.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Does anyone have experience with the Teknic Supervent Mesh Jacket or Teknic Supervent Pro Jacket? I'm hoping to take a long motorcycle trip this summer, and I'd like a jacket that's suited for summer riding but also would be prepared for a spontaneous rain shower just in case. I really like that these are basically mesh with a removable waterproof/liner.

[edit]
Reviews seem excellent, so I went for the Supervent Mesh. I'll report on how I like it once it arrives.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 23, 2012

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Bixington posted:

Some google-fu with that thread pulled up some options, thanks. If anybody has experience with any, though, I'd still like to hear.

No problem, I personally use Sony EX-35B's. They are cheap, have multiple bud sizes and hold up well. My first set lasted 6 months before I caught the cord with a sawzall and my second set are well into their second year. I regularly hike, work construction, bike and motorcycle with them so if that's not a testament to durability, I dunno what is.

Also, my Kriega backpack and tank bag came today. Shoot some shots and post more when it's now snowing/raining all day.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Ohh, did not realize you were a girl!

Unfortunately I can't give any personal recommendations for women's jackets because to be honest I very rarely see them. But, one thing that I will say is if you do decide on a one piece don't don't don't buy it without trying it on first (or buy it somewhere where you can return it without hassles). Women's gear can be a pain in the butt because every woman is proportioned so differently. I know for a fact that the A/S Stella 1pc have a VERY odd fit.

If you can get a good fit with men's gear, go for it! I don't know your proportions and I won't ask, but A/S does make some pretty tiny men's jackets (36" chest on some models) if you need that. The main difference between men's and women's gear is that women's gear has more tapered hips and more room in the chest to accommodate boobs. There's also more pricepoints and different styles with men's gear, but other than that there is no inherent difference.

Thanks again! From here, I'm just going to try as much on as possible, and not be afraid to try on men's gear. Your info about fit differences is super helpful. :cheers:

Edit:

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

What do you want to use the leathers for? Two-piece for street, one-piece for track, one-piece if you want to do both. I rock a one-piece on the street and it's fine. There's not much to it, really - how badly do you want to be able to remove the jacket when stopped? I don't give no fucks so I just bought the most protective option.
Thanks for this - I was replying on my phone and missed your comment. :ohdear:

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 23, 2012

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Scorpion Strike textile jackets, $43
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/scorpion/strike_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Wow, holy poo poo. I paid $130 for mine (from motorcyclegear) and thought it was a good deal.

I'm really happy with it. With the liner in, it's quite warm, to the point that for my (pretty short, pretty slow) winter riding I never need to think about it. All the rest of me freezes before my core stops being cozy. It feels very well-made, and I'd trust it in a crash. My only complaint about it is that the stock armor is not great - CE rated, but its the same soft padding in both the elbows and shoulders, and they just aren't well-shaped. They are replaceable, so I swapped them out for better Knox armor from another jacket, and I'm happy. Foam padding in a back protector spot. The jacket is waterproof - the outer shell will soak, but nothing will get in. It is not great for warmer weather as the "vents" don't go through the waterproof barrier.

Err on the side of small with sizing. I thought I'd be an S, but it was much too big - an XS is perfect, though.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Fangs404 posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Teknic Supervent Mesh Jacket or Teknic Supervent Pro Jacket? I'm hoping to take a long motorcycle trip this summer, and I'd like a jacket that's suited for summer riding but also would be prepared for a spontaneous rain shower just in case. I really like that these are basically mesh with a removable waterproof/liner.

[edit]
Reviews seem excellent, so I went for the Supervent Mesh. I'll report on how I like it once it arrives.

If anyone is interested in this jacket, http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4953 has it on sale for $143.99 (red, black, and silver are also at this price). I picked it up through RevZilla, and luckily they price-matched it (props to them!).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I got my UScombo30. Looks fantastic. Test fit was pretty good.

It seems like I got two underseat/tethering straps for each bag But then there are two oddball straps that I can't figure out what they are for. And some extra mail buckles on the US20 that I don't understand either.

Pics!

The two shorter straps. Notice the two buckles on the right that are not removable. One with a removable male, and one with a removable female. What are they for?

Also, the US20 has two female buckles on the bottom side corners on one side of the bag only. (Buckle on the right in picture) They can be tucked under the mesh and are nearly invisible when you do. What are they for?

EDIT: I figured it out! The two smaller straps are combined to make a belt that attaches to US20 at the two side corners to make... A giant fanny pack! :wtf:

quote:

The shoulder strap connects to the large D-rings at each end of the pack and the waist strap connects to two fold-away buckles at the corners of the mesh pocket.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 24, 2012

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter

I knew there was a reason I was browsing CA today. Thanks a lot for posting this, I desperately needed a new jacket!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ziploc posted:

I got my UScombo30. Looks fantastic. Test fit was pretty good.

It seems like I got two underseat/tethering straps for each bag But then there are two oddball straps that I can't figure out what they are for. And some extra mail buckles on the US20 that I don't understand either.

Pics!

The two shorter straps. Notice the two buckles on the right that are not removable. One with a removable male, and one with a removable female. What are they for?

Also, the US20 has two female buckles on the bottom side corners on one side of the bag only. (Buckle on the right in picture) They can be tucked under the mesh and are nearly invisible when you do. What are they for?

EDIT: I figured it out! The two smaller straps are combined to make a belt that attaches to US20 at the two side corners to make... A giant fanny pack! :wtf:

Some people in leathers wear fannypacks on their back to store essentials.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I'd like to thank everyone that recommended Lexol. That stuff is awesome.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
My helmet arrived, pretty comfortable wearing it around the house, the removable pads for the legs of my glasses are the best feature ever, first helmet I've owned that didn't press on my glasses in any way. I'll see how its lauded antifog copes with the lovely Irish weather tomorrow morning on the way to college.
few pics here
http://imgur.com/a/ujJx7#6

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

echomadman posted:

My helmet arrived, pretty comfortable wearing it around the house, the removable pads for the legs of my glasses are the best feature ever, first helmet I've owned that didn't press on my glasses in any way. I'll see how its lauded antifog copes with the lovely Irish weather tomorrow morning on the way to college.
few pics here
http://imgur.com/a/ujJx7#6

I want this one too, tell me all about it!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=5931

Oh dammit it's on sale now. :sigh:

I just bought a helmet.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I'm loving my Vision-R too! bought it just before christmas.

Apparently it's got a much wider view than most other helmets, It does an exceptional job of blocking out noise too and the flip down shades mean I don't have to carry a spare visor any more.
I didn't get the cool ratchet strap on mine though, just plain old D-rings. I'm wondering if that's simply because of Australian regulations or if there are other options available?

I had only meant to look around and thought I'd save some more for a Shoei but as soon as I put on the helmet in the store I was sold on it!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I go the HJC IS-MAX-BT on Saturday. It was on sale pretty close to online prices so I bought it at the local giant motorcycle store. I haven't even bought the pinlock lens for it and it manages fog well. Plus, I can remove/put it on without taking my glasses off. I didn't buy it for the BT, it just came with it. Is the Chatterbox product it's meant to work with a piece of junk or worth $120?

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

thylacine posted:

I go the HJC IS-MAX-BT on Saturday. It was on sale pretty close to online prices so I bought it at the local giant motorcycle store. I haven't even bought the pinlock lens for it and it manages fog well.

When I got my HJC they gave me a pinlock lens for free and said it came with all HJCs. You might want to double check and see if your dealer doesn't do that as well. I looked online briefly to see if that was normal but I couldn't find anything that said so.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
Does anyone have a recommendation for bluetooth earphones that would work under a Shoei Multitec? Is such a thing even possible? I'm looking for music, not communication.

Edit: Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-BackBeat-903-Headset/dp/B00428N9OK/ref=pd_cp_e_1

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-WP-250-Bluetooth-Headphones-Invisible/dp/B005PQ1V20/ref=sr_1_21?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1327523764&sr=1-21

http://www.amazon.com/LG-HBS-700-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B0052YFYFK/ref=pd_cp_e_0

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 25, 2012

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

CombatMedic posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for bluetooth earphones that would work under a Shoei Multitec? Is such a thing even possible? I'm looking for music, not communication.

I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWZ9MC/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&psc=1

You can use whatever earbuds that fit under your helmet. There's a clip that's a little flimsy to use with thick motorcycle jacket fabric, but I clip it to my sleeve adjustment strap anyway. It has little tiny button controls to skip next/back/pause/etc that are difficult to use with gloves, and it has a touch-sensitive volume control strip on the side.

I used it until I lost it, and now I think it's easier to just connect my earbuds directly to my phone, and hit play before I ride off since it's one less thing to fiddle with.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

JP Money posted:

If you really want MX boots for the track I'd go for a comfortable street boot and a used pair of MX ones off craigslist or something. That being said I've never really felt like my A* SMX-Plus's weren't adequate safety for my ankles on the sumo and they at least give you a little wiggle room when wearing them around town.

Yeah, thanks. Problem is, the club that arranges the track days at the gocart track really really REALLY want people riding sumos to use MX boots for some reason. I've had no problem with my Alpinestars touring boots, but those guys gave me the evil eye every day I showed up in them.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, thanks. Problem is, the club that arranges the track days at the gocart track really really REALLY want people riding sumos to use MX boots for some reason. I've had no problem with my Alpinestars touring boots, but those guys gave me the evil eye every day I showed up in them.

My foot and ankle were killing me the last time I raced sumo cause I almost highsided and smacked my foot on the ground. I was in Sidi Vertigos too. MX boots aren't a bad idea.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Anyone have a pair of REV'IT Phantom GTX gloves? I'm really looking for a good 3-season glove that's also tolerable for short distances in the cold w/heated grips, is waterproof, and has a good amount of wrist protection, and it seems like this fits the bill and is cheaper / better looking / supposedly has a more normal fit than the A* 365 glove.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Anyone have a pair of REV'IT Phantom GTX gloves? I'm really looking for a good 3-season glove that's also tolerable for short distances in the cold w/heated grips, is waterproof, and has a good amount of wrist protection, and it seems like this fits the bill and is cheaper / better looking / supposedly has a more normal fit than the A* 365 glove.

My roommate picked up a pair 3-4 months ago and rides with them 20-30 miles daily in whatever weather we have (Knoxville). He is really happy with them and bugs me once a week to buy a pair.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

echomadman posted:

..... a flimsy justification to buy new things i ordered one of these

and one of these

and lastly one of these

Have had these a week now, had a problem with the jacket where the lining of one sleeve had been twisted during manufacture, but they replaced it for me pretty quickly.
The helmet is pretty drat good, very quiet, great venting and as i mentioned before the removable pads to make room for glasses legs are the best feature ever. No more imprints in my temples or pressure marks on the bridge of my nose from the helmet tweaking the frames.

The rain gear is nice, the jacket fits easily over my A* textile jacket and Richa leather jacket without any causing any claustrophobic panic attacks. Taking it off is easy too, far better than the generic army surplus rain gear i used to use which snagged on elbow and shoulder armour and forced you to contort unnaturally to take them on or off.
The pants are good too, rode in heavy rain a few times and stayed dry, although they dont cinch up around the ankle so there's potential for water to get up there on long rides and wick its way up your gear. They both pack up nice and small and fit into the two outside pockets on my Kriega R35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Model info on the jacket?