Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

I would play the poo poo out of that game. I once stumbled upon a Gamemaker demo/proof of concept where you could move around in four dimensions - I've never been able to find it again but it was very very fun and intriguing.
I think a 4D maze might be a better game. The main problem I foresaw with 4D spaceships is that the fourth dimension turns into basically just an additional axis to align without adding anything really to what you have to understand. It just becomes "line up four scanner dots before you fire" instead of "line up three scanner dots before you fire". The fourth dimension being rotated into would just [generally] make your 2D target representation bigger as the 3D cross-section that you can see approaches the larger center of the target whatever-you-call-a-4D-polyhedron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

You mean like these? :) http://www.geometrygames.org/TorusGames/

Also, I have so few places to go on this rant: Antichamber is NOT non-Euclidean geometry! It is a game in which the levels change as you move through them... that's all! It bugs me so much (and much more than it should, I know) every time I hear people describe it as a game with non-Euclidean geometry :emo:
(Credentials: did my thesis on, basically, four-dimensional objects so I feel like I am one of those experts who can speak on it)
The only one I am aware of is HyperRogue http://www.roguetemple.com/z/hyper.php which takes place in hyperbolic space.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
If anyone here is familiar with Behaviors in Construct 2, I've happened on a problem that is annoying me. Basically what I want to do is set the angle of a ball towards the mouse position, then press Spacebar to fire the ball in said direction.

The events and ball info.

However when I run the game it doesn't work the first time. I know the game registers the click because I added an opacity event to make sure it works, but for some reason it only sets the angle horizontal either left or right of the ball depending on where I click. If I click again once the ball is moving, it then properly changes the angle towards the mouse pointer in any direction. Can I not have a bullet behavior start with 0 speed?

e: And of course I manage a work around immediately after a half hour of not figuring things out. I think the bullet behavior was changing the angle every tick to a flat horizontal one when it was set to speed of 0, so I added an event for it so when the speed is 0 it disables the bullet behavior and then enabled the behavior once I hit Spacebar to fire and it works properly now.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 11, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I'm looking for any resources which outline architecture for setting up parent/child entity hierarchies. I'd like to have the ability to position (and scale, rotate) entities relative to parent entities. I have a design in my head on how I want to set this up flexibly, but I'd like to read anything I can get my hands on before implementing. I'm not entirely sure what to search for when it comes to these concepts, so if anyone has any articles they thought were useful, it would be much appreciated, thanks!

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

WaterIsPoison posted:

The only one I am aware of is HyperRogue http://www.roguetemple.com/z/hyper.php which takes place in hyperbolic space.
My life is forever changed :fap:

roomforthetuna posted:

I think a 4D maze might be a better game. ... whatever-you-call-a-4D-polyhedron.
That's actually really feasible, I think. Make descent-esque controls, with buttons to toggle which axes are moved by what other buttons. The biggest challenge would be to present information in a concise and useful fashion, but man it'd be awesome to pull it off.

Also, wikipedia has the name "polychoron" but no one actually calls it that. The best name is "4-polytope" :)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

WaterIsPoison posted:

More game developers should investigate non-Euclidean geometry. Exploring a non-orientable manifold would be such the mindfuck.

A sphere is non-euclidean, right? I once experimented with making a Civ clone on an actual globe, I got about this far with it:

Screwing with the world size was kinda fun

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

A sphere is non-euclidean, right? I once experimented with making a Civ clone on an actual globe, I got about this far with it:
Yes, spherical geometry is non-euclidean, but it's definitely the most tame example of it!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
All games are 4D.

Unless you've got pause mode on. :c00lbert:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
All games are 4D, but some are more 4D than others. :shepface:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Shalinor posted:

All games are 4D.
Time is only a half dimension or less in most games though - you generally can only move pushwards, never popwards, and generally (which is why I say "or less") you can't even move directly perpendicular to the time axis, only northpush, southpush etc.

Also, 2D games are not 4D even if you count time as a whole dimension. :colbert:

(The "half dimension" idea is also fun for making many 2D games only 1.5D, since in vertical-scrolling shoot-em-ups you can rarely move back down, and some scrolling platformers sometimes won't let you go back, eg. certain Mario levels.)

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 12, 2013

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
Only plebeians refer to time as a fourth dimension. True mathematicians only work with spatial dimensions!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

Only plebeians refer to time as a fourth dimension. True mathematicians only work with spatial dimensions!
Though, using time as the fourth dimension that you can rotate through in a space combat game would be pretty trippy. (Rotating such that eg. 'future' becomes 'right' and 'past' becomes 'left'.)

(Also doesn't really make sense because you need time in which to be performing that rotation so it gets all confusing.)

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
There was this terrifying/sickening game engine out of MIT a bit ago:

http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

devilmouse posted:

There was this terrifying/sickening game engine out of MIT a bit ago:

http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/
This would be such a great multiplayer shooter - run away from someone so that when the light finds them, you are in a different position than what they see and can shoot them unimpeded.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

There's also Achron, an RTS with time travel.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

This would be such a great multiplayer shooter - run away from someone so that when the light finds them, you are in a different position than what they see and can shoot them unimpeded.
I was toying with an idea like that a long while back but could never get the gameplay to feel anything but clumsy, I think I need a real game designer for my toy projects haha. More disjointed-time than speed-of-light though, toughest part was trying to pick and choose what mechanics to throw out in favor of better gameplay... I just didn't have the heart to trash things I thought sounded cool or the creative talent to fix them to not play really, really terribly.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I think it's impossible to have a multiplayer game with true time dilation.

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 24, 2020

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

I think it's impossible to have a multiplayer game with true time dilation.
You could do it in a turn-based game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I know the original FEAR used it slow time effect in multiplayer. It worked by picking up a powerup and everyone else's or everyone on the other team's movement and shooting would slow way the hell down. It worked actually worked really well but sadly (like everything else fun about FEAR's multi) was stripped from FEAR 2.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

Also, I have so few places to go on this rant: Antichamber is NOT non-Euclidean geometry! It is a game in which the levels change as you move through them... that's all! It bugs me so much (and much more than it should, I know) every time I hear people describe it as a game with non-Euclidean geometry :emo:
(Credentials: did my thesis on, basically, four-dimensional objects so I feel like I am one of those experts who can speak on it)

Obviously the way it works is that the levels change as you move through them (when you're not looking) but the technique is used to simulate non-standard R^3 topology, which is what people generally mean by "non-euclidean", even if that's not exactly technically correct.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm not so sure that Slower Speed of Light models time dilation at all.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'm not so sure that Slower Speed of Light models time dilation at all.

From the video, it looks like all the game does is change the color through a filter to a relative-accurate color per your velocity. I suppose it's doing a barrel distortion effect as well. It looks like they just plugged in two simple formulas into the game, and changed C to a very low number.

I'd want to see what happens when other stuff moves in the game. It looks like the game doesn't even do that - everything is standing still. (understandable, since modeling anything else moving would involve creating 3d model sweeps and possibly doing some super-expensive Monte Carlo integration - think motion blur on steroids)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
It's difficult to tell, but from the video it appears there are character's walking around (check around 0:40). They claim to be doing time dilation.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Goreld posted:

From the video, it looks like all the game does is change the color through a filter to a relative-accurate color per your velocity. I suppose it's doing a barrel distortion effect as well. It looks like they just plugged in two simple formulas into the game, and changed C to a very low number.

I'd want to see what happens when other stuff moves in the game. It looks like the game doesn't even do that - everything is standing still. (understandable, since modeling anything else moving would involve creating 3d model sweeps and possibly doing some super-expensive Monte Carlo integration - think motion blur on steroids)
I gathered the same thing, looked just kind of gimmicky.

I've come to realize I don't know what other spaces exist besides Euclidean :smith:

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

It's difficult to tell, but from the video it appears there are character's walking around (check around 0:40). They claim to be doing time dilation.
I downloaded and played it, there are things walking around but basically it isn't fun or interesting at all and just looks like psychedelic colors tied to your movements. Maybe that's what it would really be like to approach relativistic speeds, but it doesn't really help with understanding it or make it interesting or anything.

Probably not helped by it being slowing light down rather than speeding the player (and your perceptions) up, so the movements of other things become equally relativistic so it doesn't really change how the movements appear. You'd really have to be outrunning the light to actually see interesting effects like things seeming to move backwards when you approach them.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

roomforthetuna posted:

I downloaded and played it, there are things walking around but basically it isn't fun or interesting at all and just looks like psychedelic colors tied to your movements. Maybe that's what it would really be like to approach relativistic speeds, but it doesn't really help with understanding it or make it interesting or anything.

Probably not helped by it being slowing light down rather than speeding the player (and your perceptions) up, so the movements of other things become equally relativistic so it doesn't really change how the movements appear. You'd really have to be outrunning the light to actually see interesting effects like things seeming to move backwards when you approach them.
Do things get time dilated?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Nothing really moves enough to be able to tell. The guys walking around basically look like they're standing still as soon as you start going fast enough and everything else is stationary. The shapes of things start warping if you turn sideways to your motion and if you turn to look opposite your motion near the end, everything goes black, so there are a few interesting things to see, but that's about it.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
It's not meant to be a game I don't think, it's more of a simulation or educational tool. Imagine you were trying to think about what would happen to your vision at close to the speed of light: it's easy to say that things are red- or blue- shifted, but it's something else to imagine what it looks like. I think that the "game" also has other, more subtle, effects that we are probably not noticing. After you beat the game it has a screen explaining "what happened" and points out that if you move sideways, and are moving to the left, then things on the left are brighter than on the right. So I'm guessing there are a lot of small bits that physics people probably notice.

Physical posted:

I gathered the same thing, looked just kind of gimmicky.

I've come to realize I don't know what other spaces exist besides Euclidean :smith:
Gather round children, while I try not to derail this topic further than I already have. Euclid gave five axioms (things that are true but cannot be proved nor derived from something else, basically) for how geometry works:
1) You can draw a straight line between two points; 2) You can create/extend a straight line continuously;
3) You can create a circle with any center and radius; 4) All right angles are equal to each other; and
5) (the parallel postulate) Given an infinite straight line and a point not on that line, there is exactly one (infinite, straight) line you can draw which goes through that point and never intersects the original straight line. (This is not actually what Euclid said, but it is equivalent and a lot easier to understand.)

Turns out this fifth axiom is not necessary in order to create a working model of geometry. The common geometry models are:
* Spherical (and its related cousins Elliptical and Projective) Geometry, in which there are "0 parallel lines"
* Euclidean Geometry, in which there is one parallel line
* Hyberbolic Geometry, in which there are infinitely many parallel lines

Now you know. :themoreyouknow:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

My current space game started life as a game with an element of time / light lag between opponents (e.g. you are 4 light minutes from an opponent) inspired a bit by the novel 'Lost Fleet' which makes such things the cornerstone of space combat. However, in early screwing around phase I could never get it to turn into anything but a guessing game of battleship (opponent is x distance away moving at whatever speed and assuming no change in heading fire at blah position or guess heading will change at fire at blah2). Pretty boring, but maybe it would make a decent word problem math game for kids. I'm physics and math stupid so this was a bad fit for me anyway though.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
I'm thinking of trying my hand at programming a text-based RPG. There'd be a GUI with buttons and whatnot, but otherwise just text - no music, no images or video. I'm guessing Python would be up to the task, but just wanted to confirm first. Are there any better languages for such a purpose?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Goreld posted:

I mean I downloaded and played the game, and it appears that the people move at the same rate regardless of the fraction of c you're traveling at. Other than that, the effects are really well done and the video doesn't do them justice. That said, the actual effects of special relativity aren't anything new or exciting. It's nothing you didn't see in Half-life 2.

PlatinumJukebox posted:

I'm thinking of trying my hand at programming a text-based RPG. There'd be a GUI with buttons and whatnot, but otherwise just text - no music, no images or video. I'm guessing Python would be up to the task, but just wanted to confirm first. Are there any better languages for such a purpose?
First, check out Twine and see if it isn't exactly what you want. If that doesn't work, you can do it all with the amount of HTML5 and jQuery you'd learn of Codecademy in a few days.

roomforthetuna posted:

It actually illustrates really well that you can't actually see a Lorentz contraction. Unfortunately the best way of modelling this is to do nothing, rather than wasting about of CPU time on running calculations that produce no effect.

Did you collect all 100 orbs? Once you do that you're traveling at c.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

First, check out Twine and see if it isn't exactly what you want. If that doesn't work, you can do it all with the amount of HTML5 and jQuery you'd learn of Codecademy in a few days.

Nah, I mean an RPG with a combat engine etc. Nothing in-depth, just some basic number-crunching going on behind the scenes. HTML5 looks interesting though, thanks for the heads up!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Well, you'd be coding the game in Javascript, but the rendering engine would be handled entirely by HTML5's <canvas> and jQuery. If you don't know the languages, you can power through the first three or four Codecademy tracks pretty quickly.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I mean I downloaded and played the game, and it appears that the people move at the same rate regardless of the fraction of c you're traveling at. Other than that, the effects are really well done and the video doesn't do them justice. That said, the actual effects of special relativity aren't anything new or exciting. It's nothing you didn't see in Half-life 2.

It actually illustrates really well that you can't actually see a Lorentz contraction. Unfortunately the best way of modelling this is to do nothing, rather than wasting about of CPU time on running calculations that produce no effect.

Did you collect all 100 orbs? Once you do that you're traveling at c.

At 99 orbs, sit still in traffic. The guys moving towards you are slightly blue-shifted, and the guys walking away are slightly red-shifted. They move at the same speed, and the speed of light slows down. They're just not moving at the same (relatively large) fraction of light. If you stand and follow one, you can see that their size DOES perceptibly change as they cross in front of you, as does their color. Lorentz contractions don't really appear significant until .95c or so, and I think the other dudes are only walking at .6c with 99 orbs.

That's the thing about relativity, the really cool stuff doesn't happen until you're REALLY fast, and until then, everything is just kinda a little bit (<1%) away from Newtonian.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

It would've been interesting if the game provided you with some kind of slider for the speed of light so you could crank it down to just above the speed of the walkers.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
e: VVVVV Yes I did, sorry friends, wrong thread.

Xik fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 14, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I can only guess you meant to post in the Retro Gaming Megathread?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
It makes my heart glow with pride that indie devs with experience can whip out amazing mods like this, literally the day of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-kDyWU5Jos

Hopefully my skills will be up to par when the next tragedy opportunity strikes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
... I really shouldn't have laughed at that as hard as I did. Hmm.

Unrelated: I have a graphics algorithm quandary, related to dynamic shadowing.

Normally, the goal is PCFed soft shadows, that blend with lighting conditions... but what if the aesthetic demands razor sharp edges, and shadows that are either monochromatic, or at the very least probably not alpha blended.

Imagine shadows in a cubist painting, basically.

Right now, it has me thinking I might actually want to dust off shadow volumes, but can anyone think of a better approach? Bonus points if it supports self-shadowing? I'd love to use something newer and fancier, but most recent shadow algorithms focus on realism rather than style.

That said, it would also need to run on "any old gaming rig", so I guess cutting edge wouldn't be ideal anyways. Turning these shadows off wouldn't really be acceptable, they're critical to the scene composition. Even better, would be if I could get the algorithm running on mobile.

EDIT: also, if I'm thinking this through right, shadow volumes would let me do palette-driven shadow colors. That is "if color A shadowed, output color A_SHADOW." Which would be fantastically neat.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 14, 2013