Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sharknado is a so bad it's bad and also kinda good movie. Seems perfect for Rifftrax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree
I was worried about it to, before I saw it. It's far more competent and less 'wink-y' than I had feared, it'll work just fine for us and be a lot of fun. It's certainly no Birdemic 2. *shudder*

In case you want to read six more paragraphs about my thoughts, including some bold claims, I wrote them up here: http://lastowka.tumblr.com/post/80986292678/rifftrax-live-sharknado

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

rereedrumr posted:

I was worried about it to, before I saw it. It's far more competent and less 'wink-y' than I had feared, it'll work just fine for us and be a lot of fun. It's certainly no Birdemic 2. *shudder*

In case you want to read six more paragraphs about my thoughts, including some bold claims, I wrote them up here: http://lastowka.tumblr.com/post/80986292678/rifftrax-live-sharknado

Oh come on, Birdemic 2 is hilarious if only because Whitney Moore gives absolutely zero fucks anymore.

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh come on, Birdemic 2 is hilarious if only because Whitney Moore gives absolutely zero fucks anymore.

Oh yeah, you weren't coming back to shoot Birdemic 2 with any illusions about what you were getting into. (I'm sure those illusions lasted about 10 minute on the first day of shooting Birdemic 1, but at least you went into the project not knowing how bad it could possibly be.)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Ah, but good ol' wooden Rod wanted it to work sooo bad that he demanded the right to fight the birds hand-to-hand. He definitely had illusions.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Disagree. Making an intentionally "hilarious" sequel to an unintentionally hilarious movie is like slowly, repeatedly explaining a joke.

e: Also, here's Weird Al and Whitney Moore and HDTGM Crew talking about Birdemic.
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/birdemic-shock-and-terror-live/

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ah, but good ol' wooden Rod wanted it to work sooo bad that he demanded the right to fight the birds hand-to-hand. He definitely had illusions.

Yeah, I don't pretend to understand Rod. I'm guessing that this is the closest any of us will ever get to knowing what it's like to be him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2bFX2_xlkM

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SRrrR Pannerrs

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

weekly font posted:

SRrrR Pannerrs

No no, you're not slurring it enough.

"Sl pnls."

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

weekly font posted:

Disagree. Making an intentionally "hilarious" sequel to an unintentionally hilarious movie is like slowly, repeatedly explaining a joke.

See also: Hobgoblins 2.

rereedrumr posted:

I'm not rage filled, and I totally get why that would be picked. I just don't get what people saw in that movie in the first place. Beyond that name, what else is there?

I watched movies like Birdemic (Birdemic 2 does not exist, nope. It does not.) and The Room before Rifftrax made any commentary tracks for it because they were hilarious on their own. A movie like Birdemic is bad, really bad, but it has enough insane elements in it to keep you interested and going "What the gently caress is going on now?". Sharknado is just boring. It tries to inject "insanity" with its stupid premise, but I see it as cynical.

If it was not for the name and the stupid social media explosion, I'm pretty sure no one would still care about this movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Drastic Actions posted:

See also: Hobgoblins 2.

I'm not rage filled, and I totally get why that would be picked. I just don't get what people saw in that movie in the first place. Beyond that name, what else is there?

A dude jumping directly through a shark with a chainsaw.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

weekly font posted:

A dude jumping directly through a shark with a chainsaw.

Now now, that's not correct.

He jumps into the shark's open mouth and then cuts his way out after it lands. Oh, and he rescues a girl (not Tara Reid) who was still alive inside with out killing her with the live chainsaw.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Now now, that's not correct.

He jumps into the shark's open mouth and then cuts his way out after it lands. Oh, and he rescues a girl (not Tara Reid) who was still alive inside with out killing her with the live chainsaw.

Yeah, I saw that and rolled my eyes.

To me it's just a bit too much "wink at the camera" shlock for my taste. They knew it was stupid.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I was so frustrated by the buzz that Sharknado got, because you just need to have seen any other Asylum film to know that it's not the kind of shlock you should get excited about.

I'm not sure how I feel about them riffing it. I've avoided watching Sharknado up til now... but I can't resist a good Riff.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Sharknado (2013) isn't that winky, but it does have some nice gimmick kills if you are into that sort of thing. The major problem is it takes too long to get to the actual sharknado, before that it's just LA flooded and sharks swimming in the streets. I have been assured by people working on it that this will be fixed in the sequel, which will air on SyFy about the time this RiffTrax Live event happens. I preferred Ghost Shark (2013) as the superior SyFy shark gimmick movie of 2013, both due to better gimmick kills and a progressive female lead.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Drastic Actions posted:

To me it's just a bit too much "wink at the camera" shlock for my taste. They knew it was stupid.

I maintain that Tara Reid did not. She operates at the same level as Rod.

edit: See also - Alone in the Dark

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 28, 2014

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Drastic Actions posted:

Yeah, I saw that and rolled my eyes.

And Starship Troopers is a satire. Go read Conor's take on it, he sums it up better than anyone since he's involved in the process and all.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I maintain that Tara Reid did not. She operates at the same level as Rod.

Absolutely. Part of the goodness is that about half the cast is in on the joke and the other is going all in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Any of the case that is alive at the end signed on for Sharknado 2. No Joke.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Talking of schlock has me thinking of them riffing Army of Darkness...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

GreenNight posted:

Any of the case that is alive at the end signed on for Sharknado 2. No Joke.

They should have signed John Heard and made him a Force ghost to give Ziering sage, drunken advice.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Xylorjax posted:

And Starship Troopers is a satire. Go read Conor's take on it, he sums it up better than anyone since he's involved in the process and all.

I did and again, I get why it's being done and why it could/will be a good riff. I'm just saying the movie itself baffles me as to why it was so popular.

It's an Asylum movie. It's just like nearly all the other ones they've done. It has a kinda funny name, that's it.

GreenNight posted:

Any of the cast that is alive at the end signed on for Sharknado 2. No Joke.

Because what else would they be in?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
If there's an Asylum movie I'd like to see done it'd be "Clash of the Empires", or sometimes known by its Legally Problematic Alias, Age of the Hobbits. Now that is an honest to goodness trainwreck in every way.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Drastic Actions posted:

I did and again, I get why it's being done and why it could/will be a good riff. I'm just saying the movie itself baffles me as to why it was so popular.

It's an Asylum movie. It's just like nearly all the other ones they've done. It has a kinda funny name, that's it.

The way I understood it, it wasn't the movie itself that was popular, just the funny name/concept.

But maybe I'm wrong; I tend to avoid Asylum films out of principle.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget the "How Did This Get Made?" episode about Sharknado.
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/sharknado/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is it normal for a single specific gag in one Rifftrax to make you literally almost have a heart attack with laughter any time you see/hear/think about it?

I saw the Star Wars prequel trilogy riffs very recently. At one point a clone trooper says to Mace Windu "We are ready to accept your orders, sir." and Samuel L. Jackson shouts something to him while pointing in a different direction. The Rifftrax addition to his performance is an exclamation of "Yeah! Let's have some falafel!"

It's, like, his acting is so monotonously mildly annoyed throughout the movies. And the way he points and "shouts" this order out while pointing is like, literally someone ordering some street food. Like I've done this, the way his voice is raised but just enough to be heard over a crowd of people walking around, the way he points kind of indifferently in the general direction of where stuff is, it's like one of the best matched things ever, I have a huge grin on my face right now just writing about it.

Sorry to have wasted all of your time, I just had to mention this.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

Is it normal for a single specific gag in one Rifftrax to make you literally almost have a heart attack with laughter any time you see/hear/think about it?

I saw the Star Wars prequel trilogy riffs very recently. At one point a clone trooper says to Mace Windu "We are ready to accept your orders, sir." and Samuel L. Jackson shouts something to him while pointing in a different direction. The Rifftrax addition to his performance is an exclamation of "Yeah! Let's have some falafel!"

It's, like, his acting is so monotonously mildly annoyed throughout the movies. And the way he points and "shouts" this order out while pointing is like, literally someone ordering some street food. Like I've done this, the way his voice is raised but just enough to be heard over a crowd of people walking around, the way he points kind of indifferently in the general direction of where stuff is, it's like one of the best matched things ever, I have a huge grin on my face right now just writing about it.

Sorry to have wasted all of your time, I just had to mention this.

I always start laughing when I think of the part in the Star Wars Holiday Special where it some bad music video and they start talking about Family Affair and start talking about Mr French for no reason and just wondering why they are even talking about him.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umezn9sD2cY

Especially because of the kart he drives up on. "Whoa kids, almost lost a few of you there!"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

IUG posted:

Especially because of the kart he drives up on. "Whoa kids, almost lost a few of you there!"

Yep. Bill's maniacal laughter makes me lose my poo poo.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Neo Rasa posted:

My wife completely lost it at the "I'm sorry!" towards the end of Super Mario Bros. I mean, the whole "boner apology" bit was great, but that pushed it over the top. We've used it a few times since then.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Neo Rasa posted:

In Daredevil there's a part where Matt Murdock meets the Kingpin at a function and Kingpin talks about possibly hiring him as a lawyer.

Matt: Sorry, I only represent people who are innocent.
Kingpin: From my experiences, I've found that nobody is truly innocent.
Bill (deep voice): Except this baby I met one time.
Mike (laughing to himself): He "met" a baby.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Neo Rasa posted:

Five actually.

1 - Bill's "I WANT A MUFFIN." and "I WANT SOUP." during different shots of Old Man Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith

2 - Mike's "oh GOOD one, Gary." as a bird just drops dead after dive bombing the motel room in Birdemic

3 - Jaws is my favorite movie of all time and the Riff is pretty unmemorable....except for Kevin's operatic singing as the tiger shark's mouth is winched open

4 - A close second is in "Safety: Harm Hides at Home" when the departing UFO makes this ascending "WUBWUBWUB" synth note and the guys briefly break out into "Lucky Man"

5 - The all-time winner, and I can't rationally explain why, is when the fake dog bursts into flame in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It's such a brief throwaway shot but Kevin's anguished "MITTENS!!!!!" reduces me to helpless giggling that will not stop.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

The joke that does this for me in the prequel riffs is in Episode 3, when Obi-Wan is riding on a giant lizard... "Here comes Goofy-Wan Baloney on his Galumphasaurus!"

Also, the ending of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets kills me every time... when the kids are clapping and cheering for a ridiculously long time.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 29, 2014

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

IUG posted:

I laughed out alone just seeing the picture of the part you were posting. Yeah I have at least 1 or 2 of those moments the instant I put on any Rifftrax because I know it is coming and love it.

HERRR HERRRR HERRERRERERRR

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

3 - Jaws is my favorite movie of all time and the Riff is pretty unmemorable....except for Kevin's operatic singing as the tiger shark's mouth is winched open

"I leave here fully confident you've heard every word I said."

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.
Anytime I watch Return of the Jedi and the stormtrooper gets shot in the face near the end of the movie I hear Kevin's voice in my head saying "My sinuses!".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So according to Mike's Tumblr the Super Mario Bros Movie was literally the worst time he's ever had with a riff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this? posted:

So according to Mike's Tumblr the Super Mario Bros Movie was literally the worst time he's ever had with a riff.
They've done tons of lovely movie over the years. I wonder what makes that one the shittiest of them all? I mean, it was bizarre as gently caress but still enjoyable in some ways. I'm sure they've done worse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They've done tons of lovely movie over the years. I wonder what makes that one the shittiest of them all? I mean, it was bizarre as gently caress but still enjoyable in some ways. I'm sure they've done worse.

Here's the direct quote:

quote:

The writing and production of our riff for Super Mario Bros. nearly broke me. I love what I do, feel entirely blessed, happy, fulfilled, work with wonderful, talented people who I respect, and I will continue in it as long as I am fortunate enough to do so: but God in heaven I hated every second of my life I spent looking at that film. Noisy, shrill, filled to bursting with John Lequizamo’s loathsome, spittle-y presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Lost in the Rifftrax Live discussion, Terror at Tenkiller! Probably the least suspenseful thriller ever where the killer is known within like 15 minutes. Also annoying continuous high-hat playing.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 29, 2014

• Locked thread