Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

iyaayas01 posted:

I can't emphasize enough just how expensive purpose built PGMs like the Maverick and AGM-130 were/are...the loving AGM-130 costs over three quarter of a million dollars a pop. Think about that for a second. One shot, $750K+ up in smoke. The latest version of the Tomahawk is something like that as well. Per shot.

Why the hell is the AGM-130 so expensive? Isn't it just a GBU-15 with a strap-on rocket kit, just like the GBU-15 is just a Mk84 with a strap-on LGB kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Phanatic posted:

Why the hell is the AGM-130 so expensive? Isn't it just a GBU-15 with a strap-on rocket kit, just like the GBU-15 is just a Mk84 with a strap-on LGB kit?

GBU-15 alone had a 200k-300k unit cost, though that appears to have dropped to 60k recently.

It's 30 years old, so all of the electronics would be that much more expensive when it was first introduced.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I took the Coast Starlight railway from LA to Seattle over the weekend, and had some time there yesterday to hit up their Flight Museum. I'd heard it was underwhelming, but I had a fantastic time.

My camera's getting long in the tooth (D50), and my only real photography experience was with film, so digital post-processing is something I've yet to master, but these should at least be decent.

This guy has the best name ever.

Another of the A-6

For use when travelling the highway to the Danger Zone, or when playing volleyball.

Concorde Engines

Concorde thrust reversers

Connie!

B-47

I was super pumped to see the B-29, but it's apparently in its ghost costume this time of year.

Harrier thrusters

Mig-17

SR-71 with D-21 drone. I'd never seen an SR-71 in person before, it was way too cool.

Mig-21

F-4 Phantom II

Group photo of the last two, also with their respective pressure suits.

Mig-15

CF-86 Sabre

NASA F-104

YF-5 (I think), with F-104. Also a yellow thing, and a helicopter (don't know those).

P-51

Love the nose-art on this Yak-9. I didn't notice the Hitler face until my friend pointed it out.

Run...Live to fly...fly to live....

BF-109

727 tail. Who doesn't love that bare-metal AA color scheme?

B-17. They do interior tours of this thing, but they didn't have any available tourguides yesterday. drat shame.

I'm a layman, but had never seen a Corsair in this all-black color scheme. Totally super-villain.

V-1

Huey. Cue Ride of the Valkyries please.

So on their website, they claim they have a B-52, which I didn't see. Is it not out for viewing right now? drat I hope not, I'd be pissed as hell if I missed that.

edit: Pulled these from my Facebook album, and their compression really did a number on the quality. Oh well, I'm not some super awesome photographer, but if anyone (for some drat reason) wants a cleaner/larger copy of any of these, it can be done.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 21, 2013

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I think at one time they had a setup where you could actually sit in the SR-71 cockpit. It's been years since I was down to the Museum of Flight though; they've expanded massively since then. I really ought to go back.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

priznat posted:

I wasn't even thinking of capability of launching more than two, just it seems like an extra bit of hardware that could futz up for not really much benefit.

The touching on the fact that the maneuverability of the first couple gens were that bad and needed to be pointed directly at where they were going is more along the lines of what I was thinking.

Makes me wonder what they could actually hit if they couldn't get on to course without the aid of being pointed directly at a target that is hopefully pretty drat far away at that point.

NightGyr posted:

The Talos is a solid-boosted ramjet with the mass of a fighter jet. Designing for maneuverability at launch velocity doesn't have a lot to do with its terminal accuracy, which is probably more a matter of guidance abilities.
This is probably a large part of the answer. Look at first gen SAMs like Nike/S-75/Talos compared to current systems. The legacy systems are mostly two-stage, rail launched missiles steered by fins. I'm sure they were maneuverable enough once they got up to Mach 4 or so, but I doubt the airframes had the capability to radically maneuver during the boost phase. Even if they could, it would eat deeply into the missile's total energy, and the gap between missile and target performance was much narrower than it is today. Compare that with modern systems like Patriot or S-300, which are single stage missiles that are half the size and mass, accelerate quicker, have several times the range and steer by reaction motors or thrust vectoring. If something like a PAC-3 has to orient itself to the target during launch or boost, it's going to do so more quickly and expending less energy, and since engines have improved so much since the 50s, it's still going to arrive at the terminal phase with enough kinetic energy to defeat any endgame maneuvers by the target.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Hasn't the Air Force been trying to get rid of the A-10 since, well, the A-10 existed? I think there was a line in the manual for A-10 Attack! about the AF trying to foister them on the Army or something.

From what I've read, I'm no expert, the AF was trying to replace A-10's with special F-16's (which couldn't handle a 30mm cannon) and later with just strike variants of the F-16 before trying to replace everything with the F-35. Also, the Air Force was so pervasive in their hatred of the A-10 they actually did almost get the Army to take them instead. I can't find the link now but there was a move in the 80's to revise the Key West Agreement and have the A-10 included as an Army air asset like the AH-64. Then Desert Storm happened and the plan was scrapped because the Air Force needed the A-10 for certain niches.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LP97S posted:

From what I've read, I'm no expert, the AF was trying to replace A-10's with special F-16's (which couldn't handle a 30mm cannon) and later with just strike variants of the F-16 before trying to replace everything with the F-35. Also, the Air Force was so pervasive in their hatred of the A-10 they actually did almost get the Army to take them instead. I can't find the link now but there was a move in the 80's to revise the Key West Agreement and have the A-10 included as an Army air asset like the AH-64. Then Desert Storm happened and the plan was scrapped because the Air Force needed the A-10 for certain niches.

This is so wrong I don't even know where to start.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Corbeau posted:

I think at one time they had a setup where you could actually sit in the SR-71 cockpit. It's been years since I was down to the Museum of Flight though; they've expanded massively since then. I really ought to go back.

When I was there last in 2004, they had a section of SR71 that's just around the cockpit, separate from the complete display plane. Here's one of my cousins sitting in it:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LP97S posted:

Also, the Air Force was so pervasive in their hatred of the A-10 they actually did almost get the Army to take them instead. I can't find the link now but there was a move in the 80's to revise the Key West Agreement and have the A-10 included as an Army air asset like the AH-64. Then Desert Storm happened and the plan was scrapped because the Air Force needed the A-10 for certain niches. was loving terrified of the Army putting warrant officers into jets, and making congress question the Air Force's (And Navy, to be fair,) "ALL PILOTS MUST BE OFFICERS AND GENTLEMAN ENLISTED MEN ARE ICKY" line.

Fixed that.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Craptacular posted:

When I was there last in 2004, they had a section of SR71 that's just around the cockpit, separate from the complete display plane. Here's one of my cousins sitting in it:

They had a couple sample cockpits you could sit in. Unfortunately, I was too chickenshit to do so for a photo, as a grown man. Totally regret that.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 21, 2013

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Capn Jobe posted:

They had a couple sample cockpits you could sit in. Unfortunately, I was too chickenshit to do so for a photo, as a grown man. Totally regret that.

Still the SR-71 and F-18L cockpits?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tremblay posted:

Still the SR-71 and F-18L cockpits?

Yes, MOF has both of those. I posted some photos from it back in March. That SR-71 cockpit is difficult for tall people. It's a salvaged nose section from a crashed SR-71, so it's really the real deal, which is more than kind of awesome. Their display plane is actually an M-21/D-21 combo if you want to get really pedantic on it.

Capn Jobe posted:

YF-5 (I think), with F-104. Also a yellow thing, and a helicopter (don't know those).

You're right that it's a YF-5A, the 'yellow thing' is a Bowers Flybaby 1A and the the helicopter behind it is an HH-52 Seaguard. As for the B-29 it's T Square 54 and is wrapped up to preserve it for restoration work, and I too did not see a B-52 when I went there and that's a drat shame. I bet they don't have anywhere to park it. Some cursory Google work shows it's up at a Boeing facility at Paine Field, about thirty miles north. Also up at Paine is the Flying Heritage Collection, which is one of the better uses of Paul Allen's Microsoft Billions, in my opinion. At least compared to some of his other projects, if not in the grand scheme of things. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 21, 2013

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is so wrong I don't even know where to start.

Actually, http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article18.html

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Dead Reckoning posted:

(This, btw, is one of the factors behind the push to kill the A-10; tactical air defenses are so much better than when it was built it isn't even funny. The main system it was designed to beat was the ZSU-23-4.) Unguided bombs are much less accurate when delivered from medium and high altitudes, and cloud cover can compromise laser guided weapons.

And yet our air defense systems are still pretty much as they were in the 80s aren't they? Like isn't US Army tactical ADA pretty much just stingers?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is probably a large part of the answer. Look at first gen SAMs like Nike/S-75/Talos compared to current systems. The legacy systems are mostly two-stage, rail launched missiles steered by fins. I'm sure they were maneuverable enough once they got up to Mach 4 or so, but I doubt the airframes had the capability to radically maneuver during the boost phase. Even if they could, it would eat deeply into the missile's total energy, and the gap between missile and target performance was much narrower than it is today. Compare that with modern systems like Patriot or S-300, which are single stage missiles that are half the size and mass, accelerate quicker, have several times the range and steer by reaction motors or thrust vectoring. If something like a PAC-3 has to orient itself to the target during launch or boost, it's going to do so more quickly and expending less energy, and since engines have improved so much since the 50s, it's still going to arrive at the terminal phase with enough kinetic energy to defeat any endgame maneuvers by the target.

I think the other part of this is related to the guidance. I'm not sure I understand it 100% but with a beam-riding missile you basically need to 'throw' the missile into the beam. Similarly with semi-active radar-homing / command guidance it seems you need to initially get the target and its radar reflection into the seeker head's field of vision - to 'lock onto the target' - and early seeker sensors were very narrow-sighted. With a jet fighter you accomplish this by pointing the plane at the enemy, but with a warship you need a launcher that can slew a missile with an exposed seeker at the target - if you kept it in a weatherproof and EM shielded case until launch and then just hurled it straight up, it'd never acquire the guidance beam.

Newer weapons not only have much wider aperture seekers, they can also handle much more sophisticated launchtime-loaded flight plans, like "kill thing over this way" instead of just "kill thing"

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 21, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Capn Jobe posted:

So on their website, they claim they have a B-52, which I didn't see. Is it not out for viewing right now? drat I hope not, I'd be pissed as hell if I missed that.
It's just the nose of the B-52, IIRC.

Was cool as hell to sit in that SR-71 cockpit, even if they put stupid plastic all over it so I couldn't play with the buttons. :colbert:

:ninja: e: wait, the B-52 nose was at Ford Island in Hawaii, not Seattle. Is there a buff at Boeing? I don't remember seeing one.

Ford Island's restoration hanger:

grover fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 21, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Is there any other plane in the US inventory that can do the job of the A10 as well as it can? Because it seems to be about perfect for the CAS role.

AC-130, maybe, but I doubt its anti-armor abilities. Unless a buncha Hellfires were strapped under its wings. :gizz:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Oxford Comma posted:

Is there any other plane in the US inventory that can do the job of the A10 as well as it can? Because it seems to be about perfect for the CAS role.

AC-130, maybe, but I doubt its anti-armor abilities. Unless a buncha Hellfires were strapped under its wings. :gizz:
Yeah, the F-35. Low and slow is not an advantage on the modern battlefield; it's a liability.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mortabis posted:

And yet our air defense systems are still pretty much as they were in the 80s aren't they? Like isn't US Army tactical ADA pretty much just stingers?

Stingers mounted on vehicles now like some sort of G.I. Joe show brought to life. But you don't need air defense when you have the USAF :yum:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mortabis posted:

Patriot for long range and Stinger for short range, currently. The US Navy has a bunch of fancy new SAMs, though, like the Evolved Sea Sparrow and Rolling Airframe Missile, which are both fantastic at slamming into flying things across the gamut of types, speeds, and sizes.

It's also important to remember that Patriot and Stinger have seen continuous upgrades and are wholly different animals than they were in the 1980s. There were some projects that successfully employed the AMRAAM from various ground vehicles, but it never made it to production because when it comes down to it there was no real need for it. I mean, at this point it'd be silly to drop a bunch of cash on ground-based air defense platforms when we've got an Air Force that really doesn't have much competition in that game. I mean the Russians are basically the other primary innovator for aircraft and they've got a really nice modernized Su-27 in the Su-35, which is supposed to be a real threat to the current fleet of F-15/16s. However, they also only built 14 of them.

Also notable that while we're still some time away from shoving a useful laser in a plane, we've already got the first generation of mobile laser platforms on the ground that are getting really close to the "this thing can zap holes into airplanes at useful distances" category.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 21, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

Yeah, the F-35. Low and slow is not an advantage on the modern battlefield; it's a liability.

:lol: When it's got a laser that'll melt through a tank hull from altitude, I'll agree.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oxford Comma posted:

It depends on what you mean by CAS, as annoying of a question as that is. If you mean something that has long loiter time, high payload capacity, and can deliver PGMs on target quickly - that's one thing. If you mean "can it use a GAU-8 to shred the hell out of Soviet tank columns in the Fulda Gap before delivering a metric shitload of cluster munitions while laughing off 23mm AAA," that's another. And in at least one of these scenarios "making it home in one piece" is a relevant part of the CAS mission.

So I guess it's a two part answer: the A-10 isn't actually 'just about perfect' for CAS in the world of widely proliferated MANPADS but that doesn't mean the USAF has something better in the inventory. Relative measurement, after all.

in my thoroughly armchair way (so basically just like Grover with less bias) I vote F-15E and think the USAF should get some of those Ace Combaty ones iyaayas posted a while back where Boeing activated those two outermost pylons so it had like 20 missiles hanging off the drat thing. Might as well go all-in on that Ace Combat thing and paint the right wing red, too.

e: or the FB-22, I remember that looking surprisingly cool for a fat Raptor. Visual aesthetics are, of course, the most important concern for any aircraft purchasing much like enormous boner-guns on battleships are the key of any navy. (The YF-23 was robbed)

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 21, 2013

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Psion posted:

It depends on what you mean by CAS, as annoying of a question as that is. If you mean something that has long loiter time, high payload capacity, and can deliver PGMs on target quickly - that's one thing. If you mean "can it use a GAU-8 to shred the hell out of Soviet tank columns in the Fulda Gap before delivering a metric shitload of cluster munitions while laughing off 23mm AAA," that's another. And in at least one of these scenarios "making it home in one piece" is a relevant part of the CAS mission.

So I guess it's a two part answer: the A-10 isn't actually 'just about perfect' for CAS in the world of widely proliferated MANPADS but that doesn't mean the USAF has something better in the inventory. Relative measurement, after all.

in my thoroughly armchair way (so basically just like Grover with less bias) I vote F-15E and think the USAF should get some of those Ace Combaty ones iyaayas posted a while back where Boeing activated those two outermost pylons so it had like 20 missiles hanging off the drat thing. Might as well go all-in on that Ace Combat thing and paint the right wing red, too.

e: or the FB-22, I remember that looking surprisingly cool for a fat Raptor.

I'm really digging the look of this

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, the Silent Eagle is pretty slick. Obviously, this means it'll never be put into production.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Just build stealth A-10s. Everyone's happy!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Warbadger, if you want to talk modern reasonably immobile AA development, there is Iron Dome. Even then, it's a fairly niche application. On the other hand, it seems to be the only product on the market claiming counter-mortar and artillery shell capability, other than the groverlaser

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Warbadger, if you want to talk modern reasonably immobile AA development, there is Iron Dome. Even then, it's a fairly niche application. On the other hand, it seems to be the only product on the market claiming counter-mortar and artillery shell capability, other than the groverlaser

The Centurion C-RAM system has been around for a while.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Capn Jobe posted:

I'm a layman, but had never seen a Corsair in this all-black color scheme. Totally super-villain.

Not just a corsair, but an F2G-1 SUPER Corsair. One of five -1s built, and two that still exist.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

The primary Army systems are Patriot and Avenger/Stinger. Patriot today is really not very much at all like it was in the 80s. We also have C-RAM (deployed), JLENS (in test), THAAD (deployed), and NASAMS (used in DC area).

SLAMRAAM worked fine and was courted by the Army and Marines, though the Marines named it CLAWS or something. It just became a thing no one really wanted to spend money on, so it was cancelled, but still sits around in a warehouse somewhere in case people want to buy it someday. I think it's safe to say that there's a lot more interest in getting any sensor any shooter working than there is in just building entirely new ground-based shooters, with the exception of whizzbang things like directed energy weapons.

MEADS stands for Maybe Eventually Air Defense System.

IAMD is Imaginary Air and Missile Defense.

A picture of SLAMRAAM:

A picture of the latest NASAMS upgrade:

edit: Somewhere there is a warehouse full of LAV-AD turrets detached from the LAV itself.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 21, 2013

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Oxford Comma posted:

Anything the Air Force is NOT flying.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mortabis posted:

Have you heard of patriot? I think it's pretty good.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Why is the NASAMS in use specifically around the DC area? I mean, it's kind of cool that they're using a system from teeny lil' us to protect the airspace around the capitol and the white house, but why not just use Patriot which is well-known, pervasive, well battle-tested and indigenous?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I thought the US would forego on deploying MEADS and only partially fund it or something, which led to some predictably icy reactions in germany.

Warbadger posted:

I mean the Russians are basically the other primary innovator for aircraft and they've got a really nice modernized Su-27 in the Su-35, which is supposed to be a real threat to the current fleet of F-15/16s. However, they also only built 14 of them.

Uhh how about the Su-30?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sjurygg posted:

Why is the NASAMS in use specifically around the DC area? I mean, it's kind of cool that they're using a system from teeny lil' us to protect the airspace around the capitol and the white house, but why not just use Patriot which is well-known, pervasive, well battle-tested and indigenous?
PAC-3 doesn't have a warhead?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Koesj posted:

I thought the US would forego on deploying MEADS and only partially fund it or something, which led to some predictably icy reactions in germany.

Uhh how about the Su-30?

It depends. The late models like the MKIs flown by India had a shitload of modernization upgrades over the Russian service models from the 90s and should be a hell of a lot more capable. They basically replaced all of the avionics and electronics with French/Israeli stuff and a bit of more modern Russian hardware to round it out. The Russians are now building 60 of them for themselves (or 30 depending on the source) while the Indians continue to upgrade them with poo poo like compatibility with the Meteor.

Edit: To clarify, the model that took part in exercises with the US in 2004 in which its performance against the F-15C was publicized (and everybody references when comparing the F-15C and Su-30) was the MKI.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 21, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Outside Dawg posted:

Anything the Air Force is NOT flying.

So, the F-35?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It's got a laser* so it doesn't need to fly it just bounces it's shots off the moon parked up :groversay:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

grover posted:

Seems like it does pretty well in Afghanistan. Can you remind me the last time an A10 was shot down, Grover? (Hint: its been 10 years.)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Oxford Comma posted:

Seems like it does pretty well in Afghanistan. Can you remind me the last time an A10 was shot down, Grover? (Hint: its been 10 years.)

Yes when I think of modern air defense systems I think of Afghanistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Flikken posted:

Yes when I think of modern air defense systems I think of Afghanistan.

The point is that the modern battlefield doesn't necessarily include modern air defense systems.