Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I should see if it's possible to generate a page with the video embedded and tell SVC to show that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasonReese
Oct 8, 2004

This is gross misconduct!
Can we get support for link peeking? Also, I wish YouTube links opened in YouTube instead of Safari.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

MasonReese posted:

Can we get support for link peeking? Also, I wish YouTube links opened in YouTube instead of Safari.

Long press and choose "Open in YouTube"

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

MasonReese posted:

I have uninstalled Youtube recently, as the new layout is horrible, and it offers nothing over the web interface.

Plus, it doesn't let you use PiP on an iPad.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The latest Tweetbot update somehow fixed both the 'open in YouTube' issue as well as letting you swipe-to-dismiss Safari View Controller

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

That Robot posted:

also I can no longer view videos within the Awful app -- it prompts me to open the YouTube app, which I'd rather not do. I'd rather view it within the Awful app.

Yes please to this.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Got everything up to here, thanks y'all.

Subjunctive posted:

Do we still support ios8?

Nope.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Whoa are the pause/play buttons on gifs a new Awful thing or a new imgur thing or a new iOS thing or what? Never noticed that before and it owns

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

goferchan posted:

Whoa are the pause/play buttons on gifs a new Awful thing or a new imgur thing or a new iOS thing or what? Never noticed that before and it owns

Diabolik900 made that happen, and I agree it is awesome! Works for Imgur-hosted images.

I wonder if the pause button should fade away, as it covers up a significant portion of smaller GIFs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Diabolik900 made that happen, and I agree it is awesome! Works for Imgur-hosted images.

I wonder if the pause button should fade away, as it covers up a significant portion of smaller GIFs.

Yeah, I think it should, and yeah it is loving amazing.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I'm also getting that crash problem when replying to threads or quoting posts while using SwiftKey, like the problem mentioned in the to-do list. The editor pops up for just a moment and then the app vanishes. When I restart it, it's usually at some place on the forums I was reading earlier, well before I tried to write a post, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with where I last posted. Closing the app from the task switcher does not fix the problem.

It's on an iPhone 5s, iOS 9. If there's a way for me to generate a debug log or an error message or something I can try it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Heresiarch posted:

I'm also getting that crash problem when replying to threads or quoting posts while using SwiftKey, like the problem mentioned in the to-do list. The editor pops up for just a moment and then the app vanishes. When I restart it, it's usually at some place on the forums I was reading earlier, well before I tried to write a post, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with where I last posted. Closing the app from the task switcher does not fix the problem.

I'm having the same issue with Swype on a 6 w/9.0.2. I know you've already got it listed, but I figured I would try to give you a little more detail in case it helps.

After the crash it will reset my position in the forums and my last read part counter on the thread I was trying to reply to to the top of its last page. It seems to happen more frequently if I click reply, or quote, right after I finish scrolling. If I wait a second or two and let the view "rest" it sometimes won't crash. That's how I got to type this reply actually.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
To answer the question in the TestFlight notes, 3D Touch is fixed on this Goon's 6s.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

lelandjs posted:

To answer the question in the TestFlight notes, 3D Touch is fixed on this Goon's 6s.

But it does not refresh the thread if you pop the thread open, so the thread is not read.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Posting threads in BYOB makes my app freeze when I press Preview.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I just noticed that it works tapping anywhere on the image now, which was my original intention. When I first built it, it only seemed to work when tapping the button, and I didn't try very hard to fix it. I guess that the stuff you changed when you merged my pull request fixed it?

The fact it only worked when tapping the button did inform my design direction a bit though. Now that I realize it's working with taps anywhere on the image, I'd like to center the play button and make it disappear entirely when the gif is playing. Look for me to push that change up tomorrow hopefully.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Thank you for adding the Haruhi thread tag to awful.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The tag of the smiley holding a beer. Thank you for adding that as well.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Certain threads seem to give the "share" panel (don't know what you actually call it but see screenshots) a tiny visual bug. Seems to always happen in these threads.

See the arrow-y thing coming from the Share symbol.

Also this happened immediately after I pasted in the picture (upload via Awful from Library):

That's disconcerting.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd love it if smiley gifs played automatically without hitting a button.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

I'd love it if smiley gifs played automatically without hitting a button.

Do they not? Only GIFs hosted at certain domains should have the new play/stop functionality. Since smilies are hosted on SA they should keep playing like normal.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Diabolik900 posted:

Do they not? Only GIFs hosted at certain domains should have the new play/stop functionality. Since smilies are hosted on SA they should keep playing like normal.

Ok I must be tripping I'm sorry. Could have sworn I just saw a couple that had play buttons. Must not have been real sa smilies. :blush:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

Ok I must be tripping I'm sorry. Could have sworn I just saw a couple that had play buttons. Must not have been real sa smilies. :blush:

In the current beta, it should only be GIFs hosted on imgur (I've added a few more hosts but they're not in the beta yet). If you're seeing it on smilies it's either not a real SA smilie or it's a bug. If you see it again, a link to the post would be appreciated so we can confirm.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

smoobles posted:

Same

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

smoobles posted:

Should be fixed, although it looks like the class might be refactored soon anyway.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Never mind I turned off the phone and turned it back on and it's working now.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 20, 2015

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I can't say I'm a huge fan of the new thread view layout. The number of pages in the thread seems like a superfluous metric to me.

And the alignment for the "killed by" text is inconsistent and I am incredibly picky about that.

I'm fully aware I'm being that guy complaining about change, though, so feel free to ignore me!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Why not just put "pages" instead of "pp"? There seems to be lots of space between that and the "Killed by" part.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Mo0 posted:

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the new thread view layout. The number of pages in the thread seems like a superfluous metric to me.

And the alignment for the "killed by" text is inconsistent and I am incredibly picky about that.

I'm fully aware I'm being that guy complaining about change, though, so feel free to ignore me!

The only reason I actively look at the number of pages is really to check if a thread is relatively new or if it's an old huge one. It's irrelevant info for the bookmarks view or any thread in which you've got a last read count on. I wouldn't be against removing that all together but different people have different browsing habits so who knows if it's useful to someone else.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Why not just put "pages" instead of "pp"? There seems to be lots of space between that and the "Killed by" part.

Not on my 5s there isn't.

The page count isn't new, it just changed from a page icon to "pp" recently because we can't have nice things.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'm totally biased but not sure why the page icon is gone or redesigned if not liked visually. It was more than just a label it was a way to break up the text into two sections without needing another character.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Really sorry if this is already known but I just updated to 9.1 and it seems to have thrown off the spacing a bit:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

jojoinnit posted:

Really sorry if this is already known but I just updated to 9.1 and it seems to have thrown off the spacing a bit:

Is that the app store version?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

carry on then posted:

No, latest beta.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

The buying/selling badges on SA-Mart threads seem to have disappeared at some point on the beta.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

I see the same thing.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I posted about this once before I think.

If you hit the share button on an embedded YouTube and then go to copy the url it pops up the text selection context menu and the share context menu for tapping the YouTube link

baram. fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 23, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Why does uploading a picture no longer work? I keep getting "An unknown error occured"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

It's on an iPhone 5s, iOS 9. If there's a way for me to generate a debug log or an error message or something I can try it.

You can check for a crash report on your phone and, if it's there, send it over:

1) Open Settings app
2) Go to Privacy, then Diagnostics & Usage
3) Select Diagnostics & Usage Data
4) Locate the log for the crashed app. The logs will be named in the format: <AppName>_<DateTime>_<DeviceName>
5) Select the desired log. Then, using the text selection UI select the entire text of the log. Once the text is selected, tap Copy
6) Paste the copied text to Mail and send to an email address as desired

(I didn't even know this was a thing until just now. Found it over here if anyone else is interested.)

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm having the same issue with Swype on a 6 w/9.0.2. I know you've already got it listed, but I figured I would try to give you a little more detail in case it helps.

After the crash it will reset my position in the forums and my last read part counter on the thread I was trying to reply to to the top of its last page. It seems to happen more frequently if I click reply, or quote, right after I finish scrolling. If I wait a second or two and let the view "rest" it sometimes won't crash. That's how I got to type this reply actually.

Thanks! I have no idea what'll make the fix appear so I'm happy for the detail.

Fedule posted:

Certain threads seem to give the "share" panel (don't know what you actually call it but see screenshots) a tiny visual bug. Seems to always happen in these threads.

See the arrow-y thing coming from the Share symbol.

Also this happened immediately after I pasted in the picture (upload via Awful from Library):

That's disconcerting.

We do something kinda hacky to turn that arrow-y thing the right color, so I'm not too surprised that it fails sometimes. But that keyboard is something else entirely. I'm not really sure what's going on there, but I'll make a note and check it out!

Mo0 posted:

That's a fuckup, should be fixed in the next beta.

The Dave posted:

Yeah I'm totally biased but not sure why the page icon is gone or redesigned if not liked visually. It was more than just a label it was a way to break up the text into two sections without needing another character.

I like the idea of having an icon I just didn't like that icon :)

baram. posted:

I posted about this once before I think.

If you hit the share button on an embedded YouTube and then go to copy the url it pops up the text selection context menu and the share context menu for tapping the YouTube link

Maybe I missed it. It's probably buried in my todo list somewhere. If so, now it's in there twice!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why does uploading a picture no longer work? I keep getting "An unknown error occured"

I got nothing for you, sorry. Every now and then I look around for a better Imgur library to replace my piece of crap, or for the official Imgur app to take over. I'm afraid we might be stuck with random image uploading issues until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I looked into the the problem with third-party keyboards a little while back using my own crash logs, and I think it might be a problem out of our reach. Most of the matches I could find were problems with an interaction between a WebView and a third party keyboard like us.

Interestingly, for some reason it never happens on the version built from source, and I'm wondering if it's a race condition that building for debug happens to just barely duck.

• Locked thread