Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Would the movie have lost anything if Zordon and Rita were speaking English at the beginning instead of gleep glop?
And if there weren't a joke about jerking off a bull followed by a screen full of bull dong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
If Bulk and Skull aren't in the sequel like, what's even the point of these movies

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Would the movie have lost anything if Zordon and Rita were speaking English at the beginning instead of gleep glop?

I think so. I liked that they actually leaned into the hey-these-people-are-loving-aliens that the show avoided.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Zordon being an alien being was kinda integral to the plot. Did he need to speak in an alien language? Maybe not, but it helps drive the point home

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also it was funny listening to Bill Hader and Bryan Cranston try their hardest to say fake words.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I must say this movie is very charming. I don't mind at all that it's been over an hour and still no actual Power Rangers to be found, and the girl they got to play Kimberly looks identical to Amy Jo Johnson

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Hhhhhhholy gently caress I never knew how much I wanted to see the Megazord loving suplex a monster to death fffffuck yes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4CU2HEKJzk

Why did no one tell me this exists?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Calaveron posted:

Hhhhhhholy gently caress I never knew how much I wanted to see the Megazord loving suplex a monster to death fffffuck yes

Movie was fun. Shame there's probably not gonna be a sequel.

edit: Here's the deleted cameo from Jason David Frank and Amy Jo Johnson spying on Kimberly and Trini's date in the training montage:
https://www.facebook.com/jasondfrank/videos/10154745916451687/

Senerio fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 16, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Senerio posted:

Movie was fun. Shame there's probably not gonna be a sequel.

edit: Here's the deleted cameo from Jason David Frank and Amy Jo Johnson spying on Kimberly and Trini's date in the training montage:
https://www.facebook.com/jasondfrank/videos/10154745916451687/

I thought that sales from the toys alone made them enough money to make a sequel?
And now I want like a little megazord or red ranger to put on my desk at work. I was iffy on the zords and suits designs at first but seeing them all in motion changed my mind

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Calaveron posted:

I thought that sales from the toys alone made them enough money to make a sequel?
And now I want like a little megazord or red ranger to put on my desk at work. I was iffy on the zords and suits designs at first but seeing them all in motion changed my mind

Get the Megazord that's like two feet tall.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The Japanese have gone a little crazy in Halo 5's Forge mode.

https://twitter.com/xb1webrider/status/873875152022388736

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have

So many questions

Just

How is this even

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's the sequence we should have gotten in the film...

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kids these days can do amazing things like that while all I had was that crappy megazord

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

That's the sequence we should have gotten in the film...

I liked the version we got with the zords fusing with fire and energy just exploding all around but it definitely could have had some more electrifying guitar riffs

I loving loved the sequence homaging the original zords running while the kickass main theme played.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The Stand by Me scene was probably my favorite scene in the film, and honestly I didn't mind the lack of rangers for the first 3/4 of the film, because they spent the time building the characters first.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Calaveron posted:

I liked the version we got with the zords fusing with fire and energy just exploding all around but it definitely could have had some more electrifying guitar riffs

Basically anything can use more Ron Wasserman. At the time his soundtrack was a part of the "oh, this feels very 90s and will be dated in five years" effect of the first few seasons, but it's such a part of the franchise identity at this point that even the currently aired stuff actually feels more Power Rangers-y if you just play MMPR music over it.

Seems like there was a falling out. Too bad. (Also too bad we're not going to get an X-Men theme remaster, but that's more to do with Marvel.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hey, if anyone wants my Legacy Ultrazord set, I have it up on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222548617571

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You doing ok?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Me? Yeah...as much as I love having the Zords around, they just kinda sit on a shelf and gather dust. And I have some debt to take care of. Nothing, like, threatening to leave me destitute or whatever, but I'm tired of credit card interest.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

jivjov posted:

Hey, if anyone wants my Legacy Ultrazord set, I have it up on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222548617571

God that price, I mean I know that's probably a decent price for a complete Legacy set, but jeeze that's like 90% of what I get in a month

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Watched the movie tonight and actually really liked it. Totally got nerd pumped when the theme music played.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Watched the movie tonight and actually really liked it. Totally got nerd pumped when the theme music played.

I'm sorry, Bumblebee!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

drrockso20 posted:

God that price, I mean I know that's probably a decent price for a complete Legacy set, but jeeze that's like 90% of what I get in a month

Yeah, I've seen titanus alone go for $600+

Edit: if nobody bites on eBay, I'd be willing to work something out with a goon; like an installment plan or some poo poo.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 17, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Craptacular! posted:

They probably made a mistake in going for PG-13 instead of PG. What they would have had to change in order to get a PG would probably not have been substantial. It felt the PG-13 was simply because of a couple gags (jacking off a bull, "pee in that cup") and the sexting thing, all of which feels like making content to push the rating up and not the other way around.

Craptacular! posted:

I just don't see what PG-13 provided except a couple jokes about bodily functions, a few throwaway lines about sex, and a few scenes of dental-related violence. Maybe you need it if you want to stab a monster with a giant sword?

http://screenrant.com/power-rangers-rating-success/

ScreenRant posted:

Power Rangers failed to set the box office alight, despite decent enough reviews and praise for its young cast. With a rating of PG-13, it seemed as though many assumed the movie would not be suitable for children, and so stayed away. Speaking to Screen Rant, when Israelite was asked if  he thought the rating had affected Power Rangers‘ box office success, he was emphatic in his response:

“Yes, definitely. Definitely. And not only do I think it, but there’s been market studies on it, and the findings have been that if the movie were rated PG- I don’t want to go into the specific numbers- but if the movie had been rated PG, there would have been more traffic. I think parents were unsure if they could bring their kids to the movie, which surprised me, because the movie is a tame PG-13.
We did a lot of preview screenings, and to me, it felt like a seven-year-old might be scared, but in a good way. They liked that they were scared of Rita, but they still came out of the movie enjoying it, they liked what was going on. I think we really tread that line well, so it was disappointing that parents didn’t know that they could take their kids to it. I’m hoping now, with it coming out on DVD and Blu-ray, and On Demand, that parents will feel more comfortable. That maybe they’ll check it out for themselves and then see that it’s suitable.”

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Having watched it, I can tell you for a fact that it wasn't the rating.

It's the fact that it's a poo poo super hero story. There's like, 1/3rd a good movie in there, and all of it is front loaded and none of it is super heroics. We do not get a single big hero moment from anyone, at any given time, we don't get a single memorable or cool fight scene, there is nothing. We get more gags than anything from the finale.

Like imagine if you took Iron Man, ripped out all of the stuff of Tony being Iron Man in the first two thirds of the movie, and added a lot more jokes and weird poo poo to the final fight and have it end in an anti climax of anti climaxes.

There's just no two ways about it. This isn't a bad Power Rangers movie- it's just a bad movie. It had all of its eggs in the human story basket, and did not give a single gently caress about the rest. And this isn't touching on the really stupid plot holes, like how these super strong super teens can't break rope, or why Rita literally LET THEM GO instead of killing them all. Like, literally let them go. They didn't escape, they were at her mercy, she just let them go.

But that's neither here nor there. They do nothing cool as Rangers. There is like, one big moment they ahve with the Zords, and it's ruined by it being a joke because Billy is going backwards.

The movie is too insecure and too scared to embrace its own source material in any way.

Also the only action scenes are in the last loving twenty minutes, which is an atrocious scripting idea.

How would I do it better?

It's a pretty simple set up. First act, We meet the Rangers, Rita is freed, starts poo poo, Rangers get brought to Zordon but they leave not believing it. Second act, Rita attacks them specifically thinking they're now the Power Rangers, Jason transforms since he's the only one with a morpher from Zordon, maybe it escalates into revealing the Tyranosaurus Rex Zord. Goldar kicks his rear end. They manage to fall back to the command center while their town is ravaged by Goldar and the Putties. Act three, the Rangers join together as a team and take on the Putties and Goldar, Goldar goes giant sized and they have the big fight with their Zords, going into the Megazord.

Throw in the human drama and plot lines
Whatever relationship stuff you want to build
Backstory stuff to explore

You can even run that with a PG rating.

It's not even THAT far off from what we got.

Just, any kind of effort or attempt to make a good super hero movie. Thta's all they needed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How do you do that with

1) Zordon's manipulations of the team so he can open the grid and reclaim his powers

2) make it work with the whole issue that morphing relies on them working as a team and to come together and sync with each other

because those are huge parts of the narrative and the themes the movie is trying to express

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't think the things you're pointing out are related to the marketing or pre-release material at all. Most of the advertising was related to the superheroic stuff and the reviews weren't negative. A lot of people who did walk in did like it, and I don't think it's fair to say that the people who didn't walk in should be counted on your side there.

Simple truth is though, that if you're taking your kids out to the movies at that moment of the year, you had PR and you Beauty & The Beast. One is rated PG. The other is rated PG13. That does make the decision for a lot of parents flipping through their phone or staring at the ticket booth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

How do you do that with

1) Zordon's manipulations of the team so he can open the grid and reclaim his powers

2) make it work with the whole issue that morphing relies on them working as a team and to come together and sync with each other

because those are huge parts of the narrative and the themes the movie is trying to express

1) You abandon that for the dead duck that it is, or actually tie it into the human plotline instead of Zordon just being a mysterious rear end in a top hat and not telling the Rangers anything until Jason found out and got pissy about being 'used'. Zordon is a selfish rear end in a top hat in the movie, and unless you're going to do something with it, and they didn't, you should try again. If you have to keep the plot line, pair it up with Zack. Zack has an ailing mother at home who may not live another month. Zordon is a ghost who clings to the vain hope that he may one day come back to life through magic bullshit. Let Zordon learn some humility by Zack tearing him a new one, giving Zack ANYTHING to do in the script other than sit with his mom, and put things into perspective. Hell it's a kids movie, maybe have it help heal Zack's mom instead of that just being this whole plot nugget that went nowhere.

2) Morphing relying on them working as a team is a stupid plot point and should be abandoned. Believing in themselves, being true to themselves, embracing their inner power, sure fine. Team work as a theme is also a great idea. Tying it directly to their power source is hideously stupid, so stupid that the original show didn't even do that. And I'll remind you, the original show had Pudgy Goddamn Pig. TWICE. The team work theme comes together when they start fighting together. Jason fights alone, gets wrecked hardcore. Team fights together, they turn the tides. The Megazord is also the metaphor for their team work coming together. Them at their strongest, together, makes the difference.

Even the movie doesn't like the idea that they have to be in synch and have perfect teamwork to transform, because RITA is a thing. Unless she was in synch with the others to kill them all, her having her powers at the start makes no goddamn sense, and is only excusable because it's a stupid kids movie that got a higher age rating than it should because they thought it'd make them more money. You keep her as the Green Ranger, and you keep her drawing on the Green Ranger power, which she very much is, and you run into the problem of that idea being unworkable with the very logic you have.

It also raises all sorts of questions about how Billy morphed to begin with, since that certainly wasn't the feeling of teamwork that he tapped into, and raises problems for how to approach Tommy, assuming they're going to have him be evil from the start again.

Team work is The Lesson to learn. But you do that through actual team work, not by gimping their powers to it.

Instead have them reject their powers due to personal failings. Jason is the only one to embrace it to begin with, but he cannot fight alone. The others come through, learn to over come their own issues, and bam. Power Rangers.

And this is a super simple, super straight forward way to tackle the idea. You could go any number of other ways with it. This is just approaching it from the idea of making a super hero movie that would appeal to people

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

The movie is too insecure and too scared to embrace its own source material in any way.

I think the movie would've been a lot weaker had they done that. If anything, I'd argue the film elevates the source material by not embracing the more embarrassing elements of it.

Hell, I've said it before; the very state of Power Rangers as a fundamentally embarrassing source didn't do the film any favors.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm beginning to think that, deep down, there are some people that really don't want depth, especially character depth, in their Ranger content. They watched this series for the robot fights, and how dare a film spend any degree of its runtime on those scenes in-between. Instead of Our Rangers having to become friends and work together to morph, just slap a Power Of Friendship line somewhere.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 24, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zordon being a mysterious rear end in a top hat is quintessential to his character in all iterations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

I think the movie would've been a lot weaker had they done that. If anything, I'd argue the film elevates the source material by not embracing the more embarrassing elements of it.

I'm beginning to think that, deep down, there are some people that really don't want depth, especially character depth, in their Ranger content. They watched this series for the robot fights, and how dare a film spend any degree of its runtime on those scenes in-between. Instead of Our Rangers having to become friends and work together to morph, just slap a Power Of Friendship line somewhere.

So you didn't read the parts where the only thing I liked about the film were the human drama bits and character building, and not the super hero crap?

Okay then good to know.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

TFRazorsaw posted:

How do you do that with

Instead of Zordon trying to appeal to Jason, he appeals to Billy, who would naively get excited at the prospect of bringing someone back from the dead Morphing Grid until logic prevailed. Tie Zordon's surreptitious resurrection plot even closer to Billy's sacrifice and his realization that he doesn't miss his dad as much because of his new friends.

quote:

Have Trini's coin alert the others that Trini needs help immediately. The others TELEPORT to her side as she desperately fights a losing battle against Rita. The suits flash on and off as they help each other against Rita and her Putties. Rita gets progressively more nervous as she realizes that these punk kids are way closer to fully Rangering up than she would have ever thought and she needs to get her Krispy Kreme squared away.

The bones of an amazing movie are there but only half of them are from anything approximating the same skeleton.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not sure how I feel about grabbing the low hanging fruit of Billy of COURSE being the one who's the most manipulated by the more intelligent and competent mentor figure with the ulterior motive.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Zach would be a better choice, but the movie would have to remember he exists, so...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It of course could have been a much better movie but it wasn't terrible. It was received generally positively by critics and viewers. It had it's strengths and weaknesses. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback a movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about grabbing the low hanging fruit of Billy of COURSE being the one who's the most manipulated by the more intelligent and competent mentor figure with the ulterior motive.

That's why I'd want to do something with Zack and Zordon, because seriously. Nothing comes from his relationship with his mom. Nothing comes from what is wrong with her.

And here's this rear end in a top hat who has been dead for millions of years, wanting to use them to bring him back, when perfectly good people are suffering in illness?

I think working Billy around that would be interesting. One thing I can't believe they didn't explore was Billy poking at the command center technology, or hanging out more with Alpha.

For the record, Billy was my favorite character in the film. His actor knocked it out of the park. Of course all of that was just to make you feel bad for when Rita kills him like he's a humanized puppy for her to kick. But props where it is due

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It of course could have been a much better movie but it wasn't terrible. It was received generally positively by critics and viewers. It had it's strengths and weaknesses. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback a movie.

I have to admit, part of this just comes from me as a story teller. I want to make movies, I want to make comics. I am presently writing a comic book series. I want to work on an original tokusatsu project.

So it's extremely easy for me to be extra harsh on this, because its failings to me are all the more grating.

Also, just to put this to rest. There is nothing in Power Rangers that is any sillier than any other major super hero running around today. The Power Rangers started life as, and has primarily been, a kids show, but one of the most popular characters in the MCU is loving Rocket Raccoon and Groot. Don't even get me started on Batman and the poo poo he got up to when he was, and is, being made for kids. Power Rangers doesn't have to be, and isn't, any more embarrassing than those properties, and I actually do applaud the film for not going grim and gritty bullshit with it.

Never forget there is an actual story in Batman's history where he dressed up like a Zebra for some loving reason.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 24, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Billy has a dead parent, but it's a small part of his character. Zack has a dying parent, but it's a large part of his character. If you're going to do a "how far would you go to save your family" story there's room in there.

Honestly I thought the movie was too Billy-focused already, but anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm going to be honest. I don't think Zack's mom is a plot that needs to go anywhere beyond informing who he is and why he acts the way he does. He's a very realistic portrayal of how a lot of asian american youths have to grow up in poverty, especially in smaller communities, as well as averting a lot of the usual stereotypes that attach to such characters like him.

And I think it's unfair to boil what they did with Billy being temporarily killed. Yeah, it's stereotypical to kill the disabled character, but it's frighteningly rare for them to be the one who absolutely gets things like friendship, who is the one who understands everything that matters, and then to have it all add up in a way that ISN'T just informing the betterment of other people. The fact that Billy is not only someone everyone cares so much about, but someone the story BRINGS BACK, is an invocation of all the horrible things that characters like him are used as sacrificial lambs for, and says that no - no, someone ELSE has to make the sacrifice and that he is worth surviving, and remaining, and being loved by the people around him.

You absolutely need Zordon giving up his chance at freedom to bring Billy back. It's essential.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 24, 2017