Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Maybe it’s just based on “who do we have an idea for” instead of the publishing cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm wondering what the odds are we'll see Vision, Sam Wilson, Winter Soldier, Shang-Chi, and Kate Bishop Hawkeyes as decks. Maybe I'm missing how marketing works, but it feels like leaving money on the table to not have the main characters of the current MCU properties as decks. Like, by all means, go get Flash Thompson Venom and Quicksilver, yes please. But also, there's a lot of marketing going on that FFG could be piggy backing on.

It is monstrous to suggest they lean more into the MCU roster for purely marketing purposes lol. The vast majority of the sets have been Avengers/MCU related stuff, getting things like Agent Venom is a gift. We do not need more of the tired MCU stuff at all.

Vision was already leaked; his art for his pack was found alongside all the others in this cycle, so he's going to be next if he hasn't already been delayed alongside the others.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

doubleposting because the Fantasy Flight people literally read this thread: just officially announced not only Vision, but also a Sinister Six box with Miles Morales/Spider-Gwen, with a hint towards "more web warriors" which historically involves Daredevil and Moon Knight.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/9/15/in-flight-2021/

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I was just coming in to post this! Super excited for this and I hope to see Venom and Carnage as villain packs soon.

Edit: I didn’t see Venom on the actual cover FML

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 16, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I got my Mad Titan Shadow box in (went super fast when Canada Post finally got their hands on it) and managed to tweak the decks for the heroes. I only put them through their paces against Rhino for now. Klaw is next and then it’s off to the new Villains.

I kept Spectrum as leadership. The card that adds +1 thw and attack if you have all avengers out is powerful. 2 thw character now doing three saved my rear end. Spectrum is pretty good. Very much need to get her cost reducers into play but when you do she can go all out and hit like a freight train. I’m looking forward to seeing how she fares on the stronger villains. Flipping energy forms feels cool, and I pulled off some sick combos.

Adam Warlock is interesting. He has so many options all the time. He really needs his cards that let him draw when he uses his ability and also the one that lets him stand when he does it. You pull of crazy stand back up combos. The one ally that stands a guardian character when defeated? Just crazy combo. Warlock knelt, so use the ally and it’s now defeated, Warlock stands. Then use Make the call, grab the ally again. Can use Warlcok, and then once again after his discard ability. He’s a jack of all trades. He won’t do any one thing amazingly well, but he can push damage and remove threat at a good clip. I’m excited to try him more.

So far the heroes feel good. We’ll see after more games.

Also excited for the new sets.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

So I got my Mad Titan Shadow box in (went super fast when Canada Post finally got their hands on it) and managed to tweak the decks for the heroes. I only put them through their paces against Rhino for now. Klaw is next and then it’s off to the new Villains.

I kept Spectrum as leadership. The card that adds +1 thw and attack if you have all avengers out is powerful. 2 thw character now doing three saved my rear end. Spectrum is pretty good. Very much need to get her cost reducers into play but when you do she can go all out and hit like a freight train. I’m looking forward to seeing how she fares on the stronger villains. Flipping energy forms feels cool, and I pulled off some sick combos.

Adam Warlock is interesting. He has so many options all the time. He really needs his cards that let him draw when he uses his ability and also the one that lets him stand when he does it. You pull of crazy stand back up combos. The one ally that stands a guardian character when defeated? Just crazy combo. Warlock knelt, so use the ally and it’s now defeated, Warlock stands. Then use Make the call, grab the ally again. Can use Warlcok, and then once again after his discard ability. He’s a jack of all trades. He won’t do any one thing amazingly well, but he can push damage and remove threat at a good clip. I’m excited to try him more.

So far the heroes feel good. We’ll see after more games.

Also excited for the new sets.

Nice, my MTS and Nebula just shipped out today. Eager to try Nebula because she looks like a better version of Black Panther.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PaybackJack posted:

Nice, my MTS and Nebula just shipped out today. Eager to try Nebula because she looks like a better version of Black Panther.

Double post to say that Team Covenant has an advance copy of The Hood pack and will be doing a playthrough at 1pm Central on their channel. Unclear if they're spoiling the entire pack or just whatever cards pop up from the sets they use.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My local shop is getting Nebula next week so I’ll wait for them.

Hall of Heroes has the Hood spoilers up. The sets look cool and can add some tough minions to stuff.

I absolutely despise the standard II set. Added difficulty because of surges. No thanks. I’ve been fine with normal standard. For those who didn’t want expert or wanted a harder standard it might give them what they need.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
I was able to pick up Nebula a day early at Gencon but sadly won't really get a chance to play her soon because well...Gencon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

My local shop is getting Nebula next week so I’ll wait for them.

Hall of Heroes has the Hood spoilers up. The sets look cool and can add some tough minions to stuff.

I absolutely despise the standard II set. Added difficulty because of surges. No thanks. I’ve been fine with normal standard. For those who didn’t want expert or wanted a harder standard it might give them what they need.

yeah, a lot of the Hood stuff is pretty nuts, but I'm extremely glad that FFG is deciding to give people expert/insane difficulty stuff via modular encounter decks. I felt that this was always the best path to take when it came to adding expert-level challenges as opposed to flat-out creating things like the Nebula/Ronan encounters which were miserable to play as is. I'm hoping this is the design philosophy going forward wherein we get creative, moderately challenging villains and pumping up the difficulty can be addressed via optional modular decks; The Hood basically gives you a whole season of them to decide how the game will play out.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Took Spectrum and Adam Warlock through their paces.

Both took on Klaw with little issues. Spectrum is all about hitting heavy and switching forms with her superpowers when you need to. Deft focus in the deck is an absolute must. Her weakness is that when you don’t have cards to get her to switch forms you can be caught with your pants down, but I’ve gone ally heavy and put in team training to help with the ally +1 thw and attack card. When those two are on the field my allies not only thwart and hit tough but they can stay out while Spectrum defends.

Adam Warlock though, I think might be sneakily a bit better. He’s super weak at first, but when you have his full kit out he’s a beast who will just rip through any threat. He’s not Dr.Strange levels of power, but I think it’s all about how you build his aspect cards. I can post my deck with him if anyone wants, but I think it works well. I’d highly recommend DON’T take out the +1 permanent thw, atk, and def cards because he goes to 2,2 and 3 and he has multiple ways to stand back up.

I did the first Mad Titan scenario with Ebon Maw. It was really fun! The spells made it so you had to think about incoming damage and activations. He’s a little like Drang but with different effects being thrown out. It was a interesting fight. I’ll probably pause on Friday and do more Sat.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think warlock definitely wants a plus one to at least one of his stats to make the Cape effective.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

I think warlock definitely wants a plus one to at least one of his stats to make the Cape effective.

You could always sack a leadership to give the +1 but yeah, having the permanent +1 especially with the cape makes more sense. I usually block with Adam, toss a card and then have him do a thing. That way I can keep allies out longer if needed, and he’s not taking as much damage.

It’s especially good when you have Major Victory out. Block, use Victory and he stands Warlock back up and now you still have double stands.

The cards that gets shoved into an enemies deck I fine are actually not as good as I thought. If the deck is huge, the help usually isn’t as immediate as you would like. If the deck is small you gotta hope they don’t get it as a boost. It’s great when they work, but it feels like a 50/50 of them actually firing off.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

A zero boost just always useful and it stays in the deck until you get it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Yeah, I'd much rather get it as a boost multiple times, maybe because so many villains have unexpected overkill these days and I've mostly stopped blocking with allies when possible.

It is extra nice as a boost because you know it is going to be a +0 before you declare yourself a defender.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

KPC_Mammon posted:

Yeah, I'd much rather get it as a boost multiple times, maybe because so many villains have unexpected overkill these days and I've mostly stopped blocking with allies when possible.

If you get it as a boost it goes back to your discard and you have to pay for it again.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

In what's becoming a regular couple of games on Sunday afternoon today, we took Captain America and my newly opened Venom against Drank and Nebula. Cap did Captain stuff while assembling YonduTron and Venom aggression did... well... a lot. Honestly, I was shocked how good Venom played. Loads of damage but also really versatile with those guns. I went first as Venom against Nebula and yoinked the power stone from her and never lost it for the rest of the game.

Consistently, strong, defense while still dropping solid damage with some huge turns in between. I didn't run C.I.T.T. because I was a bit worried his own cards were a bit too expensive. I also didn't run any extra guns/restricted cards opting to just try and get his own guns out asap; mulliganing into one, using his power for the other and then hitting the third either through draws or his tutor.

I'm really kind of shocked, because I didn't expect to like playing him as much as I did but I felt like he was very similar to Gamora just not quite as versatile but had bigger burst turns. Really, really good, and I can't wait to get those Sonic Guns into Iron Man.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah Venom is a beast. His multi-gun makes him incredibly versatile. Combine that with a lot of his other cards and he can handle so much.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Plus, activation cancels are some of the best things you can do.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
so MTS arrived today and I've got a question about Spectrum, can she only have one energy form active at a time? The only reason why I'm questioning it is because of Power Down says upgrades face down. The reason why I feel like it only one active at a time is because it's a form. Is it just you aren't able to switch back to a face up form? That sounds right but I just want other opinions.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You can’t switch forms unless you have it from a effect or by going into alter ego and coming back.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Correct, one turn I drew 2 out of 3 of her Speed of Light cards which allows you to change form and draw 1 card. At no point does it say to turn the other form face down. So is it just an oversight in the wording/rules or does the other forms stay active? Can I switch from Gamma to Photon back to Gamma?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You can only have one active form but you could theoretically switch back-and-forth between two as many times as you get the effect. If Kang had made your deck three cards and they were all change form, you could very slowly win the game that way.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah it’s only one form active at a time. It can be tough sometimes, but the good thing is all her superpower event cards have her change form in some way.

I took on Thanos today. Whew, that was a long fight. I took in Venom and Adam Warlock. Venom was slightly a mistake because I have a bunch of confuse stuff in the deck and Thanos with Stalwart means a bunch of cards were useless, but the multi gun and is core set of cards meant he was still very effective. Adam Warlock absolutely helped carry the game though. When you have his engine running he can have so much options available. The only thing I still don’t like is when you get the cards into the deck and it ends up turning into a boost. It feels like such a waste when I was going to defend with an ally regardless. I got 1/4 of those events to actually fire off though the encounter deck. It feels amazing when that happens, but you have to get lucky for it to do so.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, you should pair it with things like falcon they give you deck manipulation.

Went from custom hulk with black widow to Black widow with hulk. Man, so many upgrades. And fighting off frost giants with a sniper rifle never felt so good.

Don’t make the mistake I made while fighting the gauntlet: you get a stone every other activation generally, not every single one.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Does anyone have decent storage options for Marvel Champions? I am ideally looking for a 2 box solution, one for heroes and one for villains/campaign stuff. I want something that looks a little better than the plain white cardboard boxes but also not expensive and handles sleeved cards well.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have the hobby lobby art box with an insert that works quite well

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep

nordichammer posted:

Does anyone have decent storage options for Marvel Champions? I am ideally looking for a 2 box solution, one for heroes and one for villains/campaign stuff. I want something that looks a little better than the plain white cardboard boxes but also not expensive and handles sleeved cards well.

Hall of heroes has a whole section about storage solutions https://hallofheroeslcg.com/2020/05/04/marvel-champions-lcg-storage-solutions/ Personally I use the white cardboard boxes and with all content currently available and most sleeved (only sleeving basics when I need them) it takes up almost the entire 3200 count box.

I tried Nebula today and she's interesting. I ran her against Klaw with the precon deck and it definitely struggled. Her kit is pretty solid and allows for some flexibility but doesn't deal well with minion swarm for sure. The precon deck was an odd justice one as it didn't have any thwarting events that didn't require you to actual thwart. Probably the weakest precon I can remember. Though I did get a lot more use out of By Any Means Necessary than I thought I would.

Losem fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 21, 2021

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

nordichammer posted:

I'm a big fan of Burger Token's boxes, along with dividers I found on Etsy. I use these together to create grab-and-go heroes. I do the same with scenarios. These are mostly in a hobby lobby box, but I need to plan for the future. I cannot fit many scenarios in there so those are all free floating in their Burger Token boxes and I'm thinking after the Spiderverse 'cycle' I'm going to be out of room for all the heroes.

I might get different colored bigger boxes to sort the heroes by main aspect (and maybe a fifth box for weird ones like Adam and SW). Then similar boxes for the scenarios based on campain/theme.

If you want, I can take a picture when I get home from work.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!
Hey thread, I ended up with an extra copy of the Dr. Strange hero pack. I'll happily give it to a good goon home if you're willing to pay shipping. PM if you're interested and I'll edit this post when it has been claimed.

*EDIT* It has been claimed.

OurIntrepidHero fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 22, 2021

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Thanos and Nebula have arrived! Like the new resource cards although they could have used a bit more oomph. The leadership ally resource card is absolutely great though and exactly what that deck needed.

Slightly off topic rant: I've been printing out comic covers to put beneath my token boards to help liven up the table top and found that Spectrum has not appeared on that many covers sadly. I ended up using a great pic from her Captain Marvel days but it's sad because I always thought she was a cool character from seeing her in stuff Avengers: Under Siege, NextWave, and Ultimates.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Leadership is already a great color, this triple resource makes it indisputable. Hopefully vision can add more for protection which is the most passive.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Trip report from the new box: took Thor and Spectrum up against Maw, Thanos, and Loki.

Maw was kind of a push over. I soloed him with Spectrum the night before to see how Spectrum played and stomped him into the ground doing 12 damage on the first turn with barely a finger lifted. So yeah, Spectrum is very good. I built her for justice and she handled threat real nicely while still being able to output some great damage. Friend came over, handed her off to him and I took up Thor.

While a lot of the new cards make Thor a lot better, that god drat 4 hand size is just such a pain in the rear end. I wish they'd just not printed Asgard and given him 5 hand size. Also Lightning Strike is a god drat terrible card, what a waste of space. It's like they designed it then never bothered to look at how decks actually play. Asgard, obviously great. Resource cards are nice but it feels like because he has those everything else in the deck has to cost more. Hammer Throw should probably cost 2 given that you have to replay the hammer and overkill isn't really worth that extra step. Thor's Helmet is great but it's also another card that's balanced around the fact that you're going to be attracting a lot of attention and power creep has really hurt his gimmick, a point I'll come back to. The long and short of it all is that while Thor is better, that loving 4 hand size is just crippling and he has no reason to futz around in alter-ego while at least Captain America has a strong ability and a good support to take advantage of in that form. If this was like Arkham, where attacking a minion allowed you to engage that minion then he'd be a lot better.

First matchup was against Maw since I had him out from the night before. He managed to stack up some spells but once we weathered them it was smooth sailing. Thor's ability got to put in some nice work since the 'Armies of Thanos' modular set had a nice little group of low threat minons to beat on; Black Order less so but still manageable. Very fun set, Maw plays not extremely uniquely but the gimmick is simple and manage-able while still being threatening.

Thanos gave us some trouble, but we ended up lucking out when we pushed his second phase. From the 'snap' effect Spectrum only lost a single shield card and none of her other cards. I, as Thor, lost a whole bunch of attack cards and a large amount of extra support/upgrades. So the result was that it massively thinned both our decks to the point where Spectrum was eating through hers in 2-3 turns. Both of us had a lot of resources and upgrades out by this point so it really ended up speeding us along. I did make a change and kept 'Armies of Thanos' instead of using 'Children of Thanos' because I wanted to give Thor more chances to get minions out. Thanos was lots of fun those, some of his turns where he was blasting off stone effects were very engaging and fun. Probably the best set I've played since the Collector - night at the museum.

Then we took on Loki. This was just brutal. I didn't add in more minions for Thor so there were only 4 total. My ally pulled 2 of them as encounter cards, which left 1 getting brought out by me and the other ended up in the discard pile on a boost or something. I also drew into For Asgard but couldn't play it to go get Asgard because it was turn 2 and I didn't have any resources out, so instead I used to get his helmet and then had a turn where I took 12 damage. I can pretty safely say that I don't think I'm going to play any hero that comes out with a 4 hand size unless whatever bullshit gimmick they have in their hero form, that could possibly get them to 6 or better cards in their hand, is 100% easy to proc with 0% downside. This was just a slaughter. Spectrum once again performed very well and Thor did basically gently caress all. The Loki deck itself was tough but not particularly interesting. Since the different versions of Loki all basically played the same way outside of having different stats there wasn't really an interesting shift moving from one to the other. Kind of disappointed with him since Thanos already had done the gauntlet game in a more enjoyable way.

Conclusion: Like Hulk, Thor suffers greatly from his low hand size. While his hand size can be boosted through his hero ability, having to play a card to go get a minion still means he effectively only has one extra card in hand and 3 thwart which isn't bad since he has no other means of thwarting effectively. Unfortunately, even though he has some great new options for handling minions, villains such as Loki/Thanos command ones that extremely tanky and hit equally hard. His large life pool, just like Hulk, is a counterbalance to him having turns where he does nothing but attack for what they apparently felt at the time was "good ATK" at 3. I'm sure that there are some scenarios, like Ultron say, where Thor really shines because you've got minions dropping on you left and right but sadly the last couple boxes don't really offer those kind of fights and poor Thor with his now power crept hero-cards just finds himself relying on some great newer cards like Dive Bomb and Fusillade to do the heavy lifting.

Anyway, Spectrum was real good and Adam Warlock looking freaking amazing. Looking forward to running him next!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

While a lot of the new cards make Thor a lot better, that god drat 4 hand size is just such a pain in the rear end. I wish they'd just not printed Asgard and given him 5 hand size. Also Lightning Strike is a god drat terrible card, what a waste of space. It's like they designed it then never bothered to look at how decks actually play. Asgard, obviously great. Resource cards are nice but it feels like because he has those everything else in the deck has to cost more. Hammer Throw should probably cost 2 given that you have to replay the hammer and overkill isn't really worth that extra step. Thor's Helmet is great but it's also another card that's balanced around the fact that you're going to be attracting a lot of attention and power creep has really hurt his gimmick, a point I'll come back to. The long and short of it all is that while Thor is better, that loving 4 hand size is just crippling and he has no reason to futz around in alter-ego while at least Captain America has a strong ability and a good support to take advantage of in that form. If this was like Arkham, where attacking a minion allowed you to engage that minion then he'd be a lot better.

Conclusion: Like Hulk, Thor suffers greatly from his low hand size. While his hand size can be boosted through his hero ability, having to play a card to go get a minion still means he effectively only has one extra card in hand and 3 thwart which isn't bad since he has no other means of thwarting effectively. Unfortunately, even though he has some great new options for handling minions, villains such as Loki/Thanos command ones that extremely tanky and hit equally hard. His large life pool, just like Hulk, is a counterbalance to him having turns where he does nothing but attack for what they apparently felt at the time was "good ATK" at 3. I'm sure that there are some scenarios, like Ultron say, where Thor really shines because you've got minions dropping on you left and right but sadly the last couple boxes don't really offer those kind of fights and poor Thor with his now power crept hero-cards just finds himself relying on some great newer cards like Dive Bomb and Fusillade to do the heavy lifting.

Anyway, Spectrum was real good and Adam Warlock looking freaking amazing. Looking forward to running him next!

So Lightning Strike is amazing. If you have his resource generators out it’s a guaranteed 2 damage you’ll usually have some other stuff to get it to 3-4. This can take care of a boatload of minions and if you have his hammer out it ignores tough. That’s the kicker. You’re doing massive spread damage. If you have martial prowess out that takes care of payment for the card itself.

Hammer Throw I’m fine with. It can overkill and getting the hammer back to hand isn’t a huge deal and is sometimes nice because if you know you’re going to be flipping you can toss the hammer for a free resource and just grab it again with his ability. The hammer can also be played again at no cost if you’re running team building exercise (and you should be running team building because it reduces the majority of cards in his deck and a bunch of Asgard allies)

I can post my Thor deck if you wanna see how I approached it, but I ran it yesterday against Hela and I thought it was a mistake because there was only 5 minions in the entire deck. Well, knowing that you have a chance of grabbing a minion by checking the encounter discard means you can use the minion draws knowing you’ll get the extra 2. If your ally gets a minion, running “Get over here” is imperative in his deck as you take the heat off. He did amazing against her and I think
he pulled his weight if not slightly more than spectrum did.

His hand size is his biggest negative and it means that Thor takes a bit to get running. However once you have his entire engine firing on all cylinders. I argue he’s by far one of the best heroes in the game at this point. There’s only a few I would put above him like Dr.Strange.

Hulk sucks not because of his low hand size, Hulk sucks because you cannot plan whatsoever with him. Drew a 3 resource card? Nothing you wanted to play it with? Well it’s either flip to banner so you can try and salvage a dead card or use it on some
1 cost poo poo because whoops goodbye hand in hero form. Hulk is a gigantic turd and literally could be salvageable if they kept his kit but reworked the hero because his downside is the worst downside in the game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

So Lightning Strike is amazing. If you have his resource generators out it’s a guaranteed 2 damage you’ll usually have some other stuff to get it to 3-4. This can take care of a boatload of minions and if you have his hammer out it ignores tough. That’s the kicker. You’re doing massive spread damage. If you have martial prowess out that takes care of payment for the card itself.

Hammer Throw I’m fine with. It can overkill and getting the hammer back to hand isn’t a huge deal and is sometimes nice because if you know you’re going to be flipping you can toss the hammer for a free resource and just grab it again with his ability. The hammer can also be played again at no cost if you’re running team building exercise (and you should be running team building because it reduces the majority of cards in his deck and a bunch of Asgard allies)

I can post my Thor deck if you wanna see how I approached it, but I ran it yesterday against Hela and I thought it was a mistake because there was only 5 minions in the entire deck. Well, knowing that you have a chance of grabbing a minion by checking the encounter discard means you can use the minion draws knowing you’ll get the extra 2. If your ally gets a minion, running “Get over here” is imperative in his deck as you take the heat off. He did amazing against her and I think
he pulled his weight if not slightly more than spectrum did.

His hand size is his biggest negative and it means that Thor takes a bit to get running. However once you have his entire engine firing on all cylinders. I argue he’s by far one of the best heroes in the game at this point. There’s only a few I would put above him like Dr.Strange.

Hulk sucks not because of his low hand size, Hulk sucks because you cannot plan whatsoever with him. Drew a 3 resource card? Nothing you wanted to play it with? Well it’s either flip to banner so you can try and salvage a dead card or use it on some
1 cost poo poo because whoops goodbye hand in hero form. Hulk is a gigantic turd and literally could be salvageable if they kept his kit but reworked the hero because his downside is the worst downside in the game.

I think you meant Deft Focus instead of the Martial Prowess because Lighting Strike is just a superpower and not an attack. I was running a copy of both of those and Team Building. Deft Focus is not actually very good because he only has 5 total cards that work off it and you don't always want to try to play Lightning Strike like you do with Hammer Throw. I can see Lightning Strike being good in some matchups, like say against Ultron or Zola, but this was not it. Ignoring tough was in some ways very problematic as I'd much rather spend 1 on it and let it knock off the tough so I could just attack normally for 3 against the villain. This exact scenario presented itself multiple times. Make it even better and say it doesn't just ignore tough but it's also an attack so you can trigger Jarnborn, you could play it off Martial Prowess, and it could have piercing to knock off tough itself. Then even if it only ended up doing 1 damage to everything but also knocking off some toughs I could get behind it. Unfortunately, FFG errata decided to go the wrong way on the card.

Getting the hammer back, tossing it as a resource, then pulling it back to hand with his ability is something I did maybe once or twice but certainly wasn't "good". It was a nice perk when I wanted to deal a big hit on a turn that I also needed to flip down and recover.

I did not run "Get Over Here" because again it just seems like such a waste of a card slot. I spend a card to engage an enemy so I can draw 2 cards, except that if there's no enemies in play the card is a blank, and if my ally goes first and the enemy has guard he's going to want to kill the enemy so he can punch the boss...it's just...no sorry. I'm not running it.

I very rarely try to hold cards between hands with Hulk. Obviously that's mostly due to me running him as Aggression or Justice. If you played him as Protection or Leadership his downside would be far worse. If he had a 5 handsize he would have a better chance or drawing something he could use that 3 resource card on, so there's that.

I'd like to see your Thor deck to see what you did but I felt like I made good choices in mine and Thor just wasn't very good. I think the only changes I'd make were with changing Deft Focus for another copy of Team Building, and swapping out Toe to Toe for something since I thought Toe to Toe would cause a minion to engage but it doesn't.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

PaybackJack posted:

I think you meant Deft Focus instead of the Martial Prowess because Lighting Strike is just a superpower and not an attack. I was running a copy of both of those and Team Building. Deft Focus is not actually very good because he only has 5 total cards that work off it and you don't always want to try to play Lightning Strike like you do with Hammer Throw. I can see Lightning Strike being good in some matchups, like say against Ultron or Zola, but this was not it. Ignoring tough was in some ways very problematic as I'd much rather spend 1 on it and let it knock off the tough so I could just attack normally for 3 against the villain. This exact scenario presented itself multiple times. Make it even better and say it doesn't just ignore tough but it's also an attack so you can trigger Jarnborn, you could play it off Martial Prowess, and it could have piercing to knock off tough itself. Then even if it only ended up doing 1 damage to everything but also knocking off some toughs I could get behind it. Unfortunately, FFG errata decided to go the wrong way on the card.

No, I probably was using helicarrier then. deft focus would be poo poo in his deck. Deft focus is good for Groot, Spectrum, Spider-Woman, and Maybe Quicksilver.

Outside of his main cards I run.

Angela (obvious reasons)
Wasp
Thor (Jane Foster)
Valkyrie
Brawn
She-Hulk

Genius/Energy/Strength
Down-Time
TBE
Avengers Mansion
Helicarrier

1x Combat Training
1X Follow Through (excellent for Hammer Throw and Intro the Fray to get a +1)
2x Power of Aggression
1x Lie in Wait
2x Into the Fray
2x Bring it
2x get over here (0 cost, helps me engage, worst case scenario pings tough off. You’re underestimating the card IMO)
1x Boot Camp
1x Looking for trouble.
1x Martial Prowess

———

It runs me at 2 extra cards but I’m a firm believer of “it’s okay to slightly go over for more flexibility” as with Thor he has his increased card draw, and I run so many permanent cost reducers that his deck gets cycled through very quickly.

I could get rid of lie in wait but it helps for a lightning strike or I throw it down and use it for when I grab a minion. I could remove a looking for trouble but honestly being able to minion grab spam a ton works for how low threat Thor can be and if I have something like Into the Fray in my hand it helps.

I don’t get your comment about Lightning Strike and tough. Lightning Strike his Villain and Minions. Thor at his best can only hit for 4 with an
upgrade. Unless you’re running something like mean swing and my comment would be why? His event cards are infinitely better and don’t rely on him needing to be able to kneel. I honestly think cards that rely on your hero needing to be standing to fire them off are almost trap cards with how many effects can kneel you and how unpredictable the game state can be. Thor is a decent attack who benefits from his events doing the bulk of his damage. That also ties into Jarnborn. It’s a trap card for Thor. You have little resources and your placing your hope on him attacking, tossing a resource, just to get an extra damage? Cards that have discard effects for Thor aren’t worth it IMO.

I’ve made a tweak here and there to the deck but I very, very rarely have had a bad game with it even against villains with low ally counts. When his engine is firing. I can play Hammer Throw for free and even get the hammer back into play all at no cost.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, not a great box for Thor because of the low low amount of minions. Might be fun with venom though because he can ‘spawn’ four of his own. Shadows of the blast, more like.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I’m trying Loki, and thought I’d see how my Thor would work against him. Honestly Thor isn’t the issue. Loki just can go into turbo “well I’m just going to gently caress you now” mode at drop of a hat. I literally lost in 2 turns. 0 threat on main scheme. I flip both heroes because I wanted a bit of breathing room for card draw. One thwart he thwarts for 9, second one for 5. I’m now at 16. Not great but i still need 8 for it to pop. My next encounter cards? Swap Loki and activate. Villain schemes. 4 threat each time I get instant knocked out from scheme.

Thor himself is fine. Loki and his secondary cards just have stuff that would screw any aggression deck. Seduced will screw over any aggression deck. It’s not really a Thor problem, it’s an “any aggression deck will have some issues”

Edit: Yeah. Considering I switched out to Strange and still got taken to the cleaners it’s not a problem with Thor. Loki is just a gigantic pile of poo poo. It’s not as bad as Ronan, but if you get the wrong Loki out against you early game you get reamed and won’t come back. 3 attack, Stalwart so can’t confuse or stun, and then the gauntlet is making him actually a 4 attack, 2 scheme villain.

It doesn’t feel as bad as Ronan, but I really don’t like the +1 stats the gauntlet gives. Considering it has its own nasty effects it just feels bad.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 26, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Maybe it’s a campaign boss thing, when you face him you get some powerful +cheap allies and a 3 resource.

Are you giving him two stones for two players? He should get a stone every other activation plus what he gets from the encounter deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m not giving him a stone every activation, no. One goes and then stone fires on the second. Loki is just heavy heavy luck of the draw. I tried with strange and eventually pulled in Stalwart 4 heavy damage Loki.

You really want to be able to switch into the retaliate or piercing one. His stalwart forms are just crap to deal with. You can’t slow him down and heaven help you if you draw his high damage early game (which I seem to have a knack for).

Edit: Beat him with Dr.Strange/Venom combo.

Loki can be rough. His Stalwart forms can really ruin your day. It was touch and go at the beginning but once I got him into a form where I could stun and confuse I was able to slow him down a ton. Near end game I just unloaded with Dr.Strange and the bands and did a magic blast to hit him for 24 damage. I won the game when I drew a treachery where he would attack me and Nova’s ability finished him off as he had 1hp left. Loki is super luck dependant. I don’t think it’s as bad as Ronan, but I do think that any aggression build is going to have a rough time. He pushes threat hard and has ways of stopping attacks. I think next time I face him I’d run Gamora as I think her mixed cards and hero ability would work incredibly well against him.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 26, 2021