Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My screen already had some ultra fine scratches but I finally got it replaced for dust so I wanted to protect it. Guess I'll just suck it up though, not worth dropping another $30 just to gently caress up another protector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RhoA posted:

I use the hot shower trick. Run a hot shower without the fan on to get steam built up, turn the shower off, wait about 10 minutes for the mist to bring down the dust with it, and then give it a go. I've done this with every screen protector I've installed and it's worked perfectly.

Also try buying a really cheap thick case from Best Buy or something so you can apply it perfectly using the lip on the case as a way to guide how perfect the protector will go on. Then you can just return the case. Or borrow a friend's case. I mean, it really doesn't matter how you go about getting the case.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The glass protector I got actually came with a guide which I intend to keep. It went on pretty drat straight, just didn't matter how much I used tape to remove dust.

I'll just buy a shitload of cheap $0.50 ones and practice.

Selane
May 19, 2006

TheBoyBlunder posted:

I'm still rocking an iphone 4s on tmobile and it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm a bit disappointed to see tmobile has been buying up LTE band 12 spectrum and the iphone 6 does not support it. As a result, I have two questions:

1) I realize this is probably way too early, but do we have any way of knowing if the 6S (7?) will support band 12? I imagine it will, since the galaxy s6 does support band 12, but I'm not too eager to jump to android right now. I also like to keep my phones for as reasonably long as possible (2-3 years), so if I have to wait, I'll wait.

The reason the iPhone 6 doesn't support Band 12 is because they only started using it in the second half of 2014, so most phones released before or around then had no need to support it. A lot of major flagships released since last fall, including Nexus 6 and Galaxy S6 support it since they had time to add it, and there's no reason to assume that phones going forward including the next iPhone wouldn't support it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Anyone know if Proclip is running any sales right now on their car mounts?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Biodome posted:

Anyone know if Proclip is running any sales right now on their car mounts?

They do for pretty much every holiday.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just to make sure I'm not missing something: if I'm participating in a couple of shared photostreams, I have to keep them in local storage, right? I'm at a point with my 32GB unit where I'm basically forced to choose between pics or music. I'd like to clear pics off my phone and still be able to view the associated streams on Apple TV or my wife's phone (that's the whole idea behind cloud storage right?), but I'm under the impression that I'd be yanking my pics off the shared stream too by doing that.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Minidust posted:

Just to make sure I'm not missing something: if I'm participating in a couple of shared photostreams, I have to keep them in local storage, right? I'm at a point with my 32GB unit where I'm basically forced to choose between pics or music. I'd like to clear pics off my phone and still be able to view the associated streams on Apple TV or my wife's phone (that's the whole idea behind cloud storage right?), but I'm under the impression that I'd be yanking my pics off the shared stream too by doing that.

I'm relatively sure it just keeps thumbnails on your device for the most part, and only downloads photos when you go to view them but I could be not understanding properly.

I'm on a 16gb device and probably have ~1500 photos across multiple shared albums and my photos library is only about ~500mb.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nope, shared photo streams seem to r separate and don't need a local copy. There's actually nothing anywhere to tell you this so it's very confusing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I have an old iPhone4 I want to give to my 7 year old to use as an iPod and such and would love for him to have a data connection and am considering adding him to our group plan since it's so cheap to do so. Can you disable the phone portion of the iPhone either through traditional means or jailbreaking? We want to lock the phone down as much as possible and don't see the need for our 7 year old to have a cell phone at this age but being able to stream music and videos would be great in our opinion.

Appreciate any insight offered.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, I have an old iPhone4 I want to give to my 7 year old to use as an iPod and such and would love for him to have a data connection and am considering adding him to our group plan since it's so cheap to do so. Can you disable the phone portion of the iPhone either through traditional means or jailbreaking? We want to lock the phone down as much as possible and don't see the need for our 7 year old to have a cell phone at this age but being able to stream music and videos would be great in our opinion.

Appreciate any insight offered.

Just connect his phone to your hotspot and he always has data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aren't there SIM cards provisioned specifically for data for tablets? Might that work? Or would it detect the IMEI when it connects and recognize it as a phone?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Suqit posted:

Just connect his phone to your hotspot and he always has data.

I'd benefit greatly from having another 2.5gb and if he streams YouTube and burns through it on his own it only punishes him when he is throttled or I'd definitely do that.

Endless Mike posted:

Aren't there SIM cards provisioned specifically for data for tablets? Might that work? Or would it detect the IMEI when it connects and recognize it as a phone?

Generally carriers will punt you off once they detect the tablet Sim in a phone.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Try just putting the phone app in a random folder and don't tell him about it?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

dutchbstrd posted:

Try just putting the phone app in a random folder and don't tell him about it?

That will work for a good 6.9 seconds with a 7 year old.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Also won't prevent incoming calls, if any should come. Not interested in my son getting a free cruise or hearing his windows PC has a virus.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I'm more surprises that you're worried about giving your 7 year old access to a phone but have no qualms about letting him have unlimited access to the internet.

What problems do you think hes going to get into with phone access?

Edit: I guess there is this. Basically use call forwarding to shut down incoming calls and then hide the phone icon in a useless folder like someone else suggested.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/08/turn-off-phone-calls-keep-data-iphone/

Keystoned fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 20, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Keystoned posted:

I'm more surprises that you're worried about giving your 7 year old access to a phone but have no qualms about letting him have unlimited access to the internet.

What problems do you think hes going to get into with phone access?

Edit: I guess there is this. Basically use call forwarding to shut down incoming calls and then hide the phone icon in a useless folder like someone else suggested.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/08/turn-off-phone-calls-keep-data-iphone/

I'd be putting the parental controls to full use so that he can't get into trouble with the open internet. Safari would be blocked and he'd be only able to use the apps we decide are safe and fine. Really not that big of an issue.

I'll check out that link, thanks! I recall there being some weirdness with MVNOs and the ability to use the call forwarding codes but that could be the ticket if Cricket supports it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just get him an iPod you cheapskate.

Kids are smart enough to get rid of any call-blocking stuff you put on.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just take the sim out

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kind of getting around the original question, since the sim is out now. I want to add cell service so that the phone can get mobile data when away from WiFi but disable the phone.

I think the call forwarding option is the best option.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You're just hosed, really

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

You're just hosed, really

That's fair and what I originally figured but haven't been on iOS for a while now so thought it'd be prudent to check in and see if iOS8 brought in any changes. Thanks!

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Disable calling directly with your carrier. Most will let you disable incoming, outgoing, incoming & outgoing, long distance, etc.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I have no idea what happened but my iPhone 6 is running at like twice the speed. Apps are opening quicker and games are running faster. As an example, playing Candy Crush in one of those timed rounds of 40 seconds will make the game run 20 seconds.
Have no idea what just happened. Restarted phone but same thing. On IOS 8.3 and never been jailbroken

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Maybe you just smoked hella bud this morning

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

noirstronaut posted:

Maybe you just smoked hella bud this morning

I wish. Then at least I would have an explanation.

I made a quick video. Even if I'm going through the settings, it will open faster than it normally does. Moving between message threads in the stock message app is hella quick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flho3d9osf1ykax/video%202015-04-20%2C%208%2028%2011%20pm.mov?dl=0

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

iLikeMidgets posted:

I wish. Then at least I would have an explanation.

I made a quick video. Even if I'm going through the settings, it will open faster than it normally does. Moving between message threads in the stock message app is hella quick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flho3d9osf1ykax/video%202015-04-20%2C%208%2028%2011%20pm.mov?dl=0

Man, Candy Crush looks loving terrible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
THAT game has tons of people addicted and makes millions a day? Goddamn I need to develop apps. :psyduck:

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Bottom Liner posted:

THAT game has tons of people addicted and makes millions a day? Goddamn I need to develop apps. :psyduck:

Not going to lie. It's made a few bucks from me.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

iLikeMidgets posted:

Not going to lie. It's made a few bucks from me.

Never put any money into it, but I definitely played the hell out of it for a year or so until finally breaking the habit. Didn't realize it was still so popular.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Just got a new head unit with CarPlay capability and it's pretty great. Siri is really good at figuring out what I'm saying quickly, the maps integration is awesome, and sending and receiving texts is a breeze. I can't wait for other apps to come out for it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Biodome posted:

Just got a new head unit with CarPlay capability and it's pretty great. Siri is really good at figuring out what I'm saying quickly, the maps integration is awesome, and sending and receiving texts is a breeze. I can't wait for other apps to come out for it.

...What's the head unit make/model and what'd you pay for it?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Michael Scott posted:

...What's the head unit make/model and what'd you pay for it?

I got the pioneer avic-8100nex at a local mom and pop audio shop. It retails for $1400 but they price matches Amazon for $800. It's really great.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'd run to CarPlay the second waze is available on it but until then it's Chinese android head units for me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It's still annoying to me that the iPhone can't just pull up the drat car play interface on its own when I mount it on my dashboard.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TraderStav posted:

Also won't prevent incoming calls, if any should come. Not interested in my son getting a free cruise or hearing his windows PC has a virus.

Depending on carrier, Most carriers have a feature to like turn off calls and texts and poo poo during certain times.

You can just set that up for 24 hour blocks forever. Contact your service provider. AT&T its called or was called Smart Limits

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

I miss Apple's dock. What's the closest equivalent for the iPhone 6+? I literally want just power and line out.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

terre packet posted:

I miss Apple's dock. What's the closest equivalent for the iPhone 6+? I literally want just power and line out.

Could go with a Henge Dock Gravitas. It's the only one I can think of with a line out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone had issues with screen burn-in on an iPhone 6? My phone has all sorts of burn in and I'm wondering if this is something that's covered under warranty or will it eat up one of my AppleCare+ replacements.