Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

just do the usual quest of having 1 of each press, also have the duplication quest, too many people don't know how to copy their presses.

They already just get the presses already. I just wanted a spot to explain how it works when they play a less-generous pack.

FWIW I learned that chunk boundary meteor hunting trick from you awhile back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I've seen sky stone and skystone chests in quests before...

...please tell me someone didn't permanently give me the bonzi buddy avatar. I'm seeing a new noob avatar but mine didn't change?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 31, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I dunno what really was doing it. I had the crafting quest for the compass. No problem. I add the stub for detecting meteor stuff. When I specifically added sky stone stuff and back out of that screen, it would crash. I tried dirt, and it didn't. I worked on a completely different quest, and no crashy.

I mostly just wanted a spot to explain the trick of using chunk boundaries to isolate the meteors, so I crammed that in the compass crafting subquest text on the right-hand side.

There is a chunk boundrie trick to find meteors?

And i didnt know you could copy presses. (Because bligthfall had a quest to get more if you lost yours)

And meteor hunting is kinda boring when your setting up inscribers. Sky stone needs to not be obsidian lvl mining and taking forever to get through :/

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

There is a chunk boundrie trick to find meteors?

And i didnt know you could copy presses. (Because bligthfall had a quest to get more if you lost yours)

And meteor hunting is kinda boring when your setting up inscribers. Sky stone needs to not be obsidian lvl mining and taking forever to get through :/

The trick is to find a chunk when the compass is twirling, but then go in all directions out of chunk (f9 to see borders)
as usually its spinning in 2-4 chunks, and if its spinning in 4 then the meteor is directly under the meeting corners so just dig down to the meteor its easy to find

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

You need to have them to copy them, and it's a block of iron in an Inscriber with the press to make a copy.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

The trick is to find a chunk when the compass is twirling, but then go in all directions out of chunk (f9 to see borders)
as usually its spinning in 2-4 chunks, and if its spinning in 4 then the meteor is directly under the meeting corners so just dig down to the meteor its easy to find

Oh i as doing something similar but not using the chunk boarders to make it easier.

The compass sucks though. As soon as the chest it opened the meteor should stop effecting the compass ><

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

Oh i as doing something similar but not using the chunk boarders to make it easier.

The compass sucks though. As soon as the chest it opened the meteor should stop effecting the compass ><

its the sky stone, a single block works as the magnet

so if you are making a hidden base - don't use skystone as it will draw everyone to your base

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

its the sky stone, a single block works as the magnet

so if you are making a hidden base - don't use skystone as it will draw everyone to your base

But if you wanted to be an arse you could mine a big one then bury a stone in every chunk :)

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

But if you wanted to be an arse you could mine a big one then bury a stone in every chunk :)

This is brilliant.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The chunk method has a few more details. If two you find it goes off in two chunks, then dig down at the middle of the boundary between them. If it is just one chunk, then aim for the dead center of the chunk.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, I'm trying to get a Botania tree farm going, and everything's going swimmingly well, except for the saplings and the Rannuncarpi. I can't them to plant non-vanilla saplings. All the vanilla ones either drop non-vanilla saplings due to mods, or grow branches that cannot be trimmed due to the way the tree farm is set up. Is there a config setting I'm missing somewhere that I can change to let the Rannuncarpus plant non-vanilla saplings, like from Forestry, or Pam's Harvestcraft, or BoP?

EDIT: Also, is there any way to use hopperhocks(or anything else vanilla or Botania that not a hopper) to insert logs into the upper slot of a furnace instead of as fuel?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 1, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My most recent pack died, apparently some ender IO didnt get along with some AE2 and im too lazy to figure it out.

So im doing an new BFSR.

So far ive died by falling into lava at least twice. Is there something about this pack that make pools of lava so hard to see?
I admit the first one was my fault, A single block of lava was hidden in some gravel and i wasnt paying attention, but a few others, i swear im getting scared to explore on foot now.

And another question, i often see images of minecraft with super awesome looking graphics, how do i get that?
(ive downloaded a few but cant seem to get them to work. Is there something special i need to do with them? somewhere int he mod pack files?)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

So far ive died by falling into lava at least twice. Is there something about this pack that make pools of lava so hard to see?
I admit the first one was my fault, A single block of lava was hidden in some gravel and i wasnt paying attention, but a few others, i swear im getting scared to explore on foot now.
I added in the configuration something that generates extra pools of lava. It's supposed to put a crust of basalt around them, but in reality, it rarely does even just one side. So yeah, surprise! Using RTG, I spawned in some flower meadow, which heavily obstructed my view, and I gleefully fell into one a mere 20 blocks from my spawn. I had added all those pools back when ATG was what I wanted people to use, but I think most people were using other generator settings. I don't know if it's still the default. I am trying RTG in the beta candidate.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I added in the configuration something that generates extra pools of lava. It's supposed to put a crust of basalt around them, but in reality, it rarely does even just one side. So yeah, surprise! Using RTG, I spawned in some flower meadow, which heavily obstructed my view, and I gleefully fell into one a mere 20 blocks from my spawn. I had added all those pools back when ATG was what I wanted people to use, but I think most people were using other generator settings. I don't know if it's still the default. I am trying RTG in the beta candidate.

I noticed - Lava seas near spawn

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

I noticed - Lava seas near spawn

I couldn't make them *that* big. That would cause the generator to run away and stack overflow because it would just keep running out to more and more chunks. I had something like that happen when I tried to add something to the CoFH terrain rules to create mini Nether Dungeons so people could encounter blazes and skeletons in The Nether more regularly.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Died a few more times to lava.

Ohhhh gold on the surface, i need that. Stands on top of it while mining. Oh, lava pool directly underneath the gold ore.

You need to put in a quest for the enrichment chamber. (for the digital miner quest) Letting people know that 1 redstone = 10 in the metalluric infuser thing. (and 1 diamond = 10, and 1 refined obsidian = 10, and 1 coal = 10) And that people probably need 3 or 4 metalluric infusers.

Oh and an edit here- is the 8 glowstone (reward) meant to be pulverised gold to make energy upgrades?

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 1, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I'm just going to say it, since Botania is in a lot of modpacks: I do not understand the Gaia Guardian fight. At all.

Like, I get the basics. You run around trying to smack your doppelganger while avoiding the glowing pink patches that randomly appear on the ground with essentially no warning. If you don't avoid them, you get Wither II and lose half your health no matter what armor you're wearing (cool!!). After smacking the Guardian around for nearly 800 loving health, it spawns enemies. You kill them until it's done, then resume dodging the ground patches and kill it. It's not great, but I get it.
Also, there's basically no good weapons to use here. Crossbow would be my normal choice, but hey, it's immune to ranged attacks.

What I don't get is that even while doing everything right (as near as I can tell) I still take damage. I have no idea why. I don't know where the damage is coming from or what's causing it. But I take a chunk of damage, usually every few seconds, and as far as I know there's no way to avoid it. I don't stand in the pink withering poison and I don't get hit by mobs, but no matter how quick I am I always just get smacked around by invisible forces and usually die. Awesome boss.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

So I'm just going to say it, since Botania is in a lot of modpacks: I do not understand the Gaia Guardian fight. At all.

Like, I get the basics. You run around trying to smack your doppelganger while avoiding the glowing pink patches that randomly appear on the ground with essentially no warning. If you don't avoid them, you get Wither II and lose half your health no matter what armor you're wearing (cool!!). After smacking the Guardian around for nearly 800 loving health, it spawns enemies. You kill them until it's done, then resume dodging the ground patches and kill it. It's not great, but I get it.
Also, there's basically no good weapons to use here. Crossbow would be my normal choice, but hey, it's immune to ranged attacks.

What I don't get is that even while doing everything right (as near as I can tell) I still take damage. I have no idea why. I don't know where the damage is coming from or what's causing it. But I take a chunk of damage, usually every few seconds, and as far as I know there's no way to avoid it. I don't stand in the pink withering poison and I don't get hit by mobs, but no matter how quick I am I always just get smacked around by invisible forces and usually die. Awesome boss.

Do you have thaumcraft inthe pack too?

Infernal wand (forbidden magic mod) removes wither as long as it is in your inventory.

Shock focus on wand (upgraded if possible) chews through anything.

Though i remember doing that fight using my xbow.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

The Gaia Guardian also spawns pixies, like the Elementium Armor, but dark grey. They're fast and drat near impossible to see, and almost certainly what keeps hitting you. Unfortunately, they're hard to deal with and there's no real way to prevent them (I find continually attacking with the Terra Blade kills some of them with the beam, but you're better off focusing on health Regen than that.)

Make sure you're giving yourself every advantage you can. You can put other beacons nearby for buffs(especially Regen). If you want stronger Regen, you can put Fallen Kanades around your arena or use the incense sticks to do the buffs. The absorption botanical brew is useful as hell and if you make it with the alfglass flask you get six hits of it. If you've managed to beat the GG once, the Rod of the Unstable Reservoir is an extremely handy tool, particularly for when the mobs spawn. Don't forget stuff like milk for removing the Wither effect.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Do you have thaumcraft inthe pack too?

Infernal wand (forbidden magic mod) removes wither as long as it is in your inventory.

Shock focus on wand (upgraded if possible) chews through anything.

Though i remember doing that fight using my xbow.

To add on this: enchanted thaumium(or void if you have it) fortress armor (if you have any mods that let you customize what enchants you put on it, I suggest you use them), for shock focus go potency 4/chain lighting 1, so you can always hit something, and DO NOT have extra jumping height because you can jump out of the arena and end all your hard work.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
And if you have RFTools in your pack, you can just get yourself an environment controller with the appropriate modules (I use the health+ and the hunger+ modules), to keep you topped off. Then it's all about taking it down with some hardhitting weapon.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, I'm trying to get a Botania tree farm going, and everything's going swimmingly well, except for the saplings and the Rannuncarpi. I can't them to plant non-vanilla saplings. All the vanilla ones either drop non-vanilla saplings due to mods, or grow branches that cannot be trimmed due to the way the tree farm is set up. Is there a config setting I'm missing somewhere that I can change to let the Rannuncarpus plant non-vanilla saplings, like from Forestry, or Pam's Harvestcraft, or BoP?

EDIT: Also, is there any way to use hopperhocks(or anything else vanilla or Botania that not a hopper) to insert logs into the upper slot of a furnace instead of as fuel?

I found answers to my questions late last night. Vanilla jungle trees grow straight upwards. They're a bit tall, so I had to increase the height of my tree farm, but that wasn't a huge deal. Also, a corporea funnel above a furnace will insert logs into the top slot to be smelted.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

You need to put in a quest for the enrichment chamber. (for the digital miner quest) Letting people know that 1 redstone = 10 in the metalluric infuser thing. (and 1 diamond = 10, and 1 refined obsidian = 10, and 1 coal = 10) And that people probably need 3 or 4 metalluric infusers.
Oh this is hardly a problem anymore in the beta:

quote:

Oh and an edit here- is the 8 glowstone (reward) meant to be pulverised gold to make energy upgrades?

...but this is. Fixed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the gaia guardian fight is one of the few things i don't like about botania, and that's probably because of of everything in the mod it's the only one focused around notoriously lovely minecraft combat. the mechanics are kind of poo poo.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

the gaia guardian fight is one of the few things i don't like about botania, and that's probably because of of everything in the mod it's the only one focused around notoriously lovely minecraft combat. the mechanics are kind of poo poo.

I agree. The dev tries to force you into fighting "fairly" but there seems to be no skill involved where you'd get better at it by practicing. It's just a click fest. Every response to "how do I fight it" is to use some other mod's item that hasn't been nerfed for the fight yet. It's not fun or interesting at all. I have more fun fighting those tree monsters from witchery. You can dash in and attack, you have to be careful with range, you have to keep moving to avoid the attack charges, it feels more like a fight.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

VegasShirtGuy posted:

Every response to "how do I fight it" is to use some other mod's item that hasn't been nerfed for the fight yet.

Not really, you can use an array of Botania's own incense sticks to give yourself every potion buff at once for the duration of the entire fight.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So basically stack potion effects and get something to remove withering, then slog through it. Other mods are there if you need better offense, though, because gently caress charging around after that thing constantly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yeah, the trick to the gaia guardian fight is to use a terra blade, fully enchanted with protection 4 on all pieces and sharpness 5 (this is a LOT easier to do in 1.8) and make liberal use of flasks, especially absorption flasks

i make sure i have 2 full absorption flasks, a regen tainted blood pendant (fallen kanade works), swiftness, strength, resistance, an instant health just in case, and have a bloodthorne, the slowdown flower (for add phase), and the ring of far reach, great fairy ring, and the best Go Fast belt you can get

the trick is that you use the terra blade's ability to shoot projectiles to keep doing damage to the gaia guardian even if you can't get to him through all the purple fire, then chug absorption flask charges as needed, and otherwise abuse high speed to run around and whack the guardian

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

VegasShirtGuy posted:

I agree. The dev tries to force you into fighting "fairly" but there seems to be no skill involved where you'd get better at it by practicing. It's just a click fest. Every response to "how do I fight it" is to use some other mod's item that hasn't been nerfed for the fight yet. It's not fun or interesting at all. I have more fun fighting those tree monsters from witchery. You can dash in and attack, you have to be careful with range, you have to keep moving to avoid the attack charges, it feels more like a fight.

Vazkii did no such thing. The only thing that's "nerfed" is that flight is unavailable during the battle, and there is a damage cap per hit - a very generous one of like 60 damage per hit. I don't think it's actually immune to ranged attacks, it's just hard as hell to hit due to it's movement patterns.

Otherwise, nothing was nerfed. Use whatever you feel like using. When I give advice I tend to focus it around Botania and Vanilla mechanics anyway because it can be beaten that way, once you learn to use everything to your advantage, and because those are the only things I know for a fact you have to have access to. If you have access to other mods things, go ahead. HAve a blast. Personally I love having a Thaumcraft wand on me to blast the hell out of things with. It's helpful.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh this is hardly a problem anymore in the beta:

...but this is. Fixed.

Oh That looks pretty neat. How soon till that's out?

Also for the yellorite quest, or the one after.

The reward is 16 ingots, the next quest says something like ' remember the 64 i gave you, well you're going to need 64'

And i see all the mek machines in that new image, are you going to do some quest lines for the universal cable? Is that better than leadstone stuff?
I think im pretty much removing all the redstone stuff atm and putting down ultimate universal in its place.

And is that an ender io capasitator bank i see?

Oh (man i have lots more i guess)

reactor quest tells me to throw buckets of water inside, but gives a resonant ender tank.... shouldnt it tell me to bucket some of that in instead?

And do a quest for 2 rednet ports and then how to set the reactor to automatically raise and lower the rods

Currently at like 30% through going to hell, but need to set up an AE2 storage system.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serifina posted:

Vazkii did no such thing. The only thing that's "nerfed" is that flight is unavailable during the battle, and there is a damage cap per hit - a very generous one of like 60 damage per hit. I don't think it's actually immune to ranged attacks, it's just hard as hell to hit due to it's movement patterns.
I have tried the crossbow in both FTB:Infinity and in Regrowth and a few other packs and it's never worked. The arrows literally bounce off. Ditto javelins.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Not sure if it is my client or what,

but when i try to shift click the AE2 covered cable, me dense and smart cable rec to craft it i get internal server shutting down and game closes. But i can manually make the items no problem.

This is BFSR im playing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Let's talk about BFSR because I don't want to go to the gym.

Meskhenet posted:

Oh That looks pretty neat. How soon till that's out?
Oh who the hell knows. It'll at least be a month. You can suffer with me in the PGS thread. However, the server's been down since I haven't really been doing too much collaboration, block lag makes it hard for me to try stuff out, and I can't edit the quest book while I'm on the server. I have at least two completely new chapters to write up, and one of them requires some goofy HQM stuff to see if I can do what I want to do with it.

quote:

The reward is 16 ingots, the next quest says something like ' remember the 64 i gave you, well you're going to need 64'
Indeed it is. Fixed.

quote:

And i see all the mek machines in that new image, are you going to do some quest lines for the universal cable? Is that better than leadstone stuff?
I think im pretty much removing all the redstone stuff atm and putting down ultimate universal in its place.
I have most of the RF stuff in the electrical power chapter, but I'm dealing with the others in the hoarding and logistics chapter. I have to also deal with Ender IO.

quote:

And is that an ender io capasitator bank i see?
Yeap. I never used one myself, but I was convinced in the beta thread to try it. It's generally superior in every way to the energy cells.

quote:

reactor quest tells me to throw buckets of water inside, but gives a resonant ender tank.... shouldnt it tell me to bucket some of that in instead?
Do not fill the reactor with water. It actually makes it worse. I discovered that awhile ago. When I was first playing with Big Reactors, I was lead to believe it was better than air. Nope! I have already fixed that in the quest book, made an announcement in the Technic thread, and added a blurb about that in the quest book just to be triple sure. When they complete the reactor now, they receive a picture book that shows how to do everything, and that includes pouring in the liquid ender.

quote:

And do a quest for 2 rednet ports and then how to set the reactor to automatically raise and lower the rods
Already did it. That is coming off the passive reactor quest. I named it "You Might Be A RedNet If..." I was proud of the gag, but I suspect it only works with Americans.

quote:

Currently at like 30% through going to hell, but need to set up an AE2 storage system.
Oh did I hear somebody mention AE2? Let me see here . . .

It's a work-in-progress. Generally, the more you go to the bottom-right, the less certain I am of stuff, but I am 90% done with it.

Meskhenet posted:

Not sure if it is my client or what,

but when i try to shift click the AE2 covered cable, me dense and smart cable rec to craft it i get internal server shutting down and game closes. But i can manually make the items no problem.

This is BFSR im playing.
I will have to try it myself. Do you mean if you shift-click the question mark, it crashes? I'd like to know the steps in painful detail. There's probably a new AE2 release to throw over everything. I was previously complaining about crashes trying to throw some AE2 stuff in the same quest together that made no sense.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The good news that there are tech mods for 1.8.9 coming soon! The bad news is that it's Industrialcraft and Buildcraft. Industrialcraft has ditched the EU system and gone entirely with RF, just like Buildcraft ditched MJ and went with RF. I don't know if Industrialcraft is still full of fiddly bullshit and needing machines to make parts to make tools to make machines, but as you can see from the second video, Buildcraft is still full of exploding bullshit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It just amuses me so much that after everyone else pitched a huge fit about needing their own special power system to be special snowflakes, or that it was too stupid easy, so many people have finally broken down and just implemented RF.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
On April 1st

edit: the joke is that IC2 is still terrible

Threep fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 2, 2016

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

When I saw the BC video, I noticed the date, and I figured "hm, possibly a joke!" But the fact that the IC2 video was posted the day before is what took me in.

I almost made it this year. Almost. :negative:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Buildcraft switching to a RF-based version of IC2's mechanics was so popular that that version was actually released so expect to see it in terrible modpacks.

Some of the other changes were real but I'm not going to link the blog post since Asie's just gonna be mad at me again.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

I have tried the crossbow in both FTB:Infinity and in Regrowth and a few other packs and it's never worked. The arrows literally bounce off. Ditto javelins.

Huh. I guess it must be, then. I wonder if it's also immune to the thorn chakrams? Ah, well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Just tried to re-create the crashes and couldnt.

WAIT, did it

Ok on a normal crafting bench

If i type in 'covered c'

then shift click the question mark (with the items in my inventory) game crashes, shutting down internal server)

But i have no such problem when using the ME crafting terminal.

And oh, i just built the first rocket,

and thought id be smart and put the 3 chests in.

and now it wants to to make another one to actually complete the quest ><

And yeah cap banks are pretty good. Does that mean there will be ender conduits in the pack?