Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
haki is goal oriented fight magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

key party favors posted:

It's literally a word. But yeah, people like to troll and fight about it for some reason. It's not really like dragonball Ki, nobody is shooting Haki blasts... but the word ki is the second part of ha ki, so yes, it's an implied part of the human spirit.. which is Will, which I'm pretty sure Oda made clear in an early interview one of the Key themes in One Piece is Will. Will of D, inhereted Will, Haki, etc.. it's not some loony fan theory, it's kind of obviously right there in the story, and the literal language being used.

all that "imposing your will on the world" stuff was more convincing back before the timeskip made haki explicitly magical

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anime was right posted:

haki is goal oriented fight magic

Yeah pretty much this. I mean we just saw Reiju put on a magic de-swelling facemask salve on Sanji, the guy who can kick people in the face and re-arrange bones. One Piece World where Dugongs can learn Kungfu.

Law Cheetah posted:

all that "imposing your will on the world" stuff was more convincing back before the timeskip made haki explicitly magical

Yeah it's magical, like Muscle Wizard Casts Fist. Haki is Will Wizard Casts Invincible Balloon Stomach Full of soggy crackers which got soggy by a lady who can somehow call down the weather with a weird stick. A lot of One Piece is magical. I don't get why people get up in arms over it though.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 5, 2016

KoB
May 1, 2009

Law Cheetah posted:

its basically ki

a lot of people in this thread have been obsessed with the idea of it being some kinda willpower thing but its not really

Thats because in OP its basically the same thing.

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I just finished Enie's Lobby.

This might be favorite storyline of any comic I've ever read. So many amazing moments, awesome villains. One badass baddy in Lucci and one utterly hatable piece of poo poo in Spandam (Robin busting his back was incredibly satisfying."

My only real complaint was the Kalifa fight seemed like pure unadulterated fanservice. Though in fairness she has an interesting power and it's like the fanservice was integrated into the fight and wasn't just weird poo poo.

One Piece owns really really really hard guys.

Is the next arc just as good?

Enis Lobby is satisfying narratively, emotionally, etc but the next arc is just a ton of fun.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Haki literally runs out and has to be recharged and people talk about how other peoples Haki level is higher it is literally magic/ki/whatever its not a bad thing but it's silly to pretend otherwise.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV3l23pO6G4

this explains haki

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That one dude who was Roger's old buddy that had pretty much given up on influencing the world had tons of haki while guys trying to make their own empires didn't have any so it's really not about goals or ambition. It's literally magic that people have or they don't.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Invictus posted:

That final page is the loving best

there are a lot of tough dudes lined up there

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dazoner posted:

Gear 4th is thoroughly ridiculous
It has to be, if he is going to stand a ghost of a chance against any world-class fighters.

verbal enema posted:

there are a lot of tough dudes lined up there
no not that page!!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what are some of the good anime only arcs / movies. i got that one piece hunger now

Captain Invictus posted:

no not that page!!!

gently caress you!!!

also what is the average amount of gears in a domestic japanese car

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Cracker really should have thought his attack through better. He was in no danger and would have won had he just simply kept sending biscuit soldiers at him.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

verbal enema posted:

what are some of the good anime only arcs / movies. i got that one piece hunger now

The G8 arc immediately after Skypiea is the only good anime-only filler. Also the extra stuff around Logue Town, I guess.

Movies 6 (Baron Omatsuri) and 10 (Strong World) are good, and I've heard good things about Z and Gold too but I haven't seen them. The rest are different flavors of terrible.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

4 is the best movie. Dead End Adventure.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
so the same poo poo as it was before >:c

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cracker really should have thought his attack through better. He was in no danger and would have won had he just simply kept sending biscuit soldiers at him.

Clearly the man creating biscuit soldiers out of thin air should have taken a moment to consider the implications of performing a thrusting sword attack named after a pretzel flavor on the over-inflated rubber man that just got done eating far too many soggy biscuit soldiers.

verbal enema posted:

Anime: G8 arc (post-Skypiea) is widely considered the best filler.

Movies: 4 (Dead End Adventure), 6 (Baron Omatsuri), 10 (Strong World), and Film Z are all good. The rest are mediocre to bad. No opinion on Gold yet.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That was loving great! Loved how Nami managed to play a vital role in defeating Cracker

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, "Respect women, you twat" is a pretty good example of why I'm subscribed to WSJ. I'll read it because I'm an addict and have to have my fix early, but jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XYgyDP9iM8&t=24s

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Haki has much different characterization than standard Ki and can have different uses, but they fill the same narrative role in that they are the fuel for muscle wizards. Haki basically lets you locally break the rules of the universe in minor ways (increase strength and durability, touch things that are intangible, cut things that shouldn't be able to be cut, limited pyrokynesis, battle sense that basically amounts to limited precognition, etc) and certain people can use it to knock people out. It doesn't let you sense other Haki users (at least not directly), it doesn't let you fly, and it doesn't let you shoot Haki beams. There are multiple, overlapping devices in place to fill those rolls. It does, however, run out, and you can have more of it than someone else. At least it hasn't been explicitly quantified a la "over 9,000".

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only good thing about haki is the flame tats in gear fourth

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Radish posted:

That one dude who was Roger's old buddy that had pretty much given up on influencing the world had tons of haki while guys trying to make their own empires didn't have any so it's really not about goals or ambition. It's literally magic that people have or they don't.

Well it's a particular application that seems to be able to be trained. Luffy did it by accident a few times when he got serious, but can do it with intent now that he was trained by a strong guy

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haki is like the Force. Were you born with haki midichlorians? Oh you can be trained in magic powers and maybe do some raw stuff before that. Otherwise you are out of luck, stay in East Blue scrub.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Radish posted:

Haki is like the Force. Were you born with haki midichlorians? Oh you can be trained in magic powers and maybe do some raw stuff before that. Otherwise you are out of luck, stay in East Blue scrub.

Anyone can be trained in Observation/Armament haki. Conqueror is the one you have to be born with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Radish posted:

or eat a devil fruit and go smash the poo poo out of the grand line if you got lucky

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't really care how haki works tbh

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsterEnvy posted:

On the other hand he was obviously growing tired and exasperated with doing that and had no reason to suspect stabbing the bloated balloon man wouldn't work in his favor.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't really care how haki works tbh

i care how haki works in the sense that if a character does something, it makes sense without me having to think about it real hard or come up with some backhanded justification.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

did you need that when you read dragon ball, where ki was never explained and was just a thing people had

I doubt it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Manatee Cannon posted:

did you need that when you read dragon ball, where ki was never explained and was just a thing people had

I doubt it

nah what im saying is haki just needs to be explained enough that i go "cool" instead of "zuh?" if it can be done without going "here are the 6 colors of haki and your chakra points use your soul power to" the better the system is imo.

dragonball introduced many of its crazy ideas very slowly, one piece does the same thing, which is why i don't really question the fights much.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the best moment of this chapter is when nami said "any complaints?" btw

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I always fanboy out when somebody declares that Luffy will be the Pirate King. Nami is doing everything I ever wanted her to do.

Love the juxtaposition of Luffy being pushed to his limits right out the gate, Zoro being absent, and Sanji being powerless while Chopper, Nami, and Brook start taking control of the island immediately. Oda is at his best with a strange new world to explore and his comedy as always is top-notch. Loved the woman applying her makeup.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

On Biscuit should have stayed back etc... he did, for three days and it didn't work. And once wet the biscuit army stopped being all sharp and stabby and thus not really able to hurt luffy.

Tankman is bestman... and will be at the wedding as sanji's Best man!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
This might be one of my favorite examples of Luffy getting sidelined because Nami gets to be a badass and get him unstuck. And more rescue arcs need to be written about someone who isn't a powerless sadsack but is still in need of rescue because this is a drat good rescue arc.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mulderman posted:

That was loving great! Loved how Nami managed to play a vital role in defeating Cracker

Yeah, this was actually really satisfying.

Nami played to her strengths: she weakened the biscuit men, she held off and manipulated the Homeys, and encouraged Luffy while putting Cracker on edge at the same time.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'm pretty sure anyone can have haki, just not conquerors haki, which is a special thing tied to Will of D /Celestial Dragons or whatever.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dr Subterfuge posted:

This might be one of my favorite examples of Luffy getting sidelined because Nami gets to be a badass and get him unstuck. And more rescue arcs need to be written about someone who isn't a powerless sadsack but is still in need of rescue because this is a drat good rescue arc.

yeah see the strawhats are at their best when they have to work together towards a goal and their stengths oriented at different points in the arc. usopp shooting the keys to franky while luffy stops the most powerful dude which they got because nami fought a dude that sanji couldn't.

this fight is really cool.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

key party favors posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone can have haki, just not conquerors haki, which is a special thing tied to Will of D /Celestial Dragons or whatever.

i actually wonder what the criteria are for conqueror haki, we only have like 3 confirmed Ds and 1-2 celestial dragons with it out of 9 people total (though several people we can assume have it).

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anime was right posted:

i actually wonder what the criteria are for conqueror haki, we only have like 3 confirmed Ds and 1-2 celestial dragons with it out of 9 people total (though several people we can assume have it).

My guess is it's something most celestial dragons have, and the Will of D is probably just a family of fallen celestial dragons who constantly cause trouble with the Celestial Dragon Establishment. But... anyone seems to be able to learn Haki at some level. It's just kind of a narrative device to be like "yeah you can do this badass thing that makes no sense otherwise..."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just one world noble: Doflamingo.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My only fear with the outcome of this fight is that Oda is going to drop a bad poop joke as the coda to the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

AradoBalanga posted:

My only fear with the outcome of this fight is that Oda is going to drop a bad poop joke as the coda to the fight.

Same here, but he's done this kinda stuff before and it always ends with super fast digestion. Like after he was healed in New Kama Land.