Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Problem with arcades right now is I haven't found a good middle ground. Everything I've seen is either pinball/80's Atari arcade games and the like, or Dave & Busters-style shooters and racers. I miss the days of big old arcades that had a bit of everything, especially fighting games. I'm a filthy casual and I don't play fighters online or have my own fightstick or anything, but I really miss playing Street Fighter and whatnot at an arcade.

When I was in China a few years back there were arcades everywhere that were amazing, brand-new cabinets for the latest SF and Tekken games, old-school sit-down cabinets for King of Fighters and such, and a whole separate room for rhythm and music-type games, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Problem with arcades right now is I haven't found a good middle ground. Everything I've seen is either pinball/80's Atari arcade games and the like, or Dave & Busters-style shooters and racers. I miss the days of big old arcades that had a bit of everything, especially fighting games. I'm a filthy casual and I don't play fighters online or have my own fightstick or anything, but I really miss playing Street Fighter and whatnot at an arcade.

When I was in China a few years back there were arcades everywhere that were amazing, brand-new cabinets for the latest SF and Tekken games, old-school sit-down cabinets for King of Fighters and such, and a whole separate room for rhythm and music-type games, etc.

The few places in Portland are kind of like that. A good middle ground. They have a fair amount of 80s games, some pinball, and a couple of newer things too. Mostly centered around things you can do with other people, which is great because it dovetails nicely into a lifestyle of PC gaming, where you don't sit down in front of the same screen very often.

I think the barcade that invests fully in nostalgia will die quickly from a lack of people consistently going there. The barcade that invests in the ultra modern arcade cabinets won't make enough money. But if you find a happy medium and offer events (like pinball tournaments, constant high-score tournaments touted on social media, nerd-focused drink and trivia), you can do well.

I've never seen Ground Kontrol empty after 4, for example. And on a Friday night around 8 it's positively packed.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

Three-Phase posted:

Some of those old arcade cabinets were absolutely awesome as far as how they were built and designed.

I used to have one of these:

Good times. How I miss that old beast. I hope some arcade hobbyist has it and is giving it the love it deserves.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

SquadronROE posted:

The few places in Portland are kind of like that. A good middle ground. They have a fair amount of 80s games, some pinball, and a couple of newer things too. Mostly centered around things you can do with other people, which is great because it dovetails nicely into a lifestyle of PC gaming, where you don't sit down in front of the same screen very often.

I think the barcade that invests fully in nostalgia will die quickly from a lack of people consistently going there. The barcade that invests in the ultra modern arcade cabinets won't make enough money. But if you find a happy medium and offer events (like pinball tournaments, constant high-score tournaments touted on social media, nerd-focused drink and trivia), you can do well.

I've never seen Ground Kontrol empty after 4, for example. And on a Friday night around 8 it's positively packed.

It's really about the market and location. People will say that they love barcade-style stuff but really, they're only going to go occasionally. You have to have the walk-in traffic and new blood to keep it going - you aren't going to have regulars the same way a cocktail or local dive bar will.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

Ground Kontrol in Portland is indeed cool good and I wanna say most everything in there is 25c and generally working.

Hell they even got one of those crazy Tetris grand master machines after all the noise about those were being made. It is as loving hard as it looks if you've ever seen it in action. but someone else was right it's not something I do too regularly, but when I'm there at night it's never fully empty. Plus they are smart and have a couple nights a month in the middle of the week that are $5 entry but everything is free play. Course everyone instead drinks & eats bar food while the place is so packed there is a line going out the front.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

LethalGeek posted:

Ground Kontrol in Portland is indeed cool good and I wanna say most everything in there is 25c and generally working.

Hell they even got one of those crazy Tetris grand master machines after all the noise about those were being made. It is as loving hard as it looks if you've ever seen it in action. but someone else was right it's not something I do too regularly, but when I'm there at night it's never fully empty. Plus they are smart and have a couple nights a month in the middle of the week that are $5 entry but everything is free play. Course everyone instead drinks & eats bar food while the place is so packed there is a line going out the front.

Yeah everything is $.25 except for a couple of the machines. Pinball is usually $.50, with the really new stuff being .75. I never feel ripped off. They get a massive amount of walk-by traffic during the week and weekends.

Their current competition is Quarterworld. Little walk-by traffic, a larger number of games (most of which are .50, but some are up to $1) but some are broken, and there's a cover. I seriously don't think it's gonna make it in the long run. It's just too expensive for what it is.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

I guess I should feel lucky to live in New England, it seems like all the big arcades around me have a really good mix.

Joe's Playland in Salisbury, MA, while definitely teeming with little rear end kids during the summer, has a second floor with tons of classic cabinets and machines. Surprisingly there aren't any good photos of the place, but they do have this:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
About 10 years ago we saw sort of a boom in places that had a bunch of consoles and PCs, comfy chairs, and would let people play games by the hour on those systems. It was probably at its height when Rock Band/Band hero were big as you'd have a big 55" TV, and audience and a lot of room and no one cared how loud the music got. This was after the more or less death of arcades, though.

Even they vanished before the WiiU, PS4 and XBone launches, if I recall.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
For the few years that large, high definition TVs were expensive and reliable high speed internet was rare, gaming cafes/lounges/whatevers were definitely A Thing. Cheaper TVs and better internet killed them off. There's a holdout in Seattle called PLAYlive Nation up by Northgate, I have no idea how they stay in business.

Arcades and pinball are surely making a comeback which is pretty nice. I don't mind that they're pandering to a generation of nostalgia addled nerds. There's something nice about the tactile nature of old school arcade and pinball games.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

JediTalentAgent posted:

About 10 years ago we saw sort of a boom in places that had a bunch of consoles and PCs, comfy chairs, and would let people play games by the hour on those systems. It was probably at its height when Rock Band/Band hero were big as you'd have a big 55" TV, and audience and a lot of room and no one cared how loud the music got. This was after the more or less death of arcades, though.

Even they vanished before the WiiU, PS4 and XBone launches, if I recall.

There was one of those in my town in the Genesis/SNES era, not sure when it closed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's too bad you guys aren't as old as me because in the 1970s you could still find pinball machines going back to the 1950s. They'd be in some forgotten spot, like the rec room of a Holiday Inn. My dad would be stoked since they were the ones from when he was a teenager.

Although I played my first video arcade game around 1971 (Computer Space) electro-mechanical ones were the most common. This video is lousy but it's of a machine I played plenty of times back in the early seventies. It had a rifle stock as a controller and you'd take shots at little mechanical animals flitting back and forth across the playing field. It's hard to believe that something so hokey came out the same year as Computer Space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz5NJGuuzNs

It wasn't until around 1978 that video games really took over, pushing the old fashioned ones to the periphery. Digital upgraded pinball machines were still going strong when I was in college (God knows how many quarters I poured into ones like "Whirlwind" but the mechanical ones faded away until they took on a retro cachet.

EDIT: Heh, found a video of Whirlwind. Best part is when the fan on top of the cabinet starts to blow on you as the twister arrives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb-HoYSb9FY

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I'd love to play an original Wild Gunman cabinet that used 16mm film.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'd love to play an original Wild Gunman cabinet that used 16mm film.

There were film based quickdraw games in the 1970s. You might be familiar with those. The gunman's eyes would flash and that was your cue to draw and fire. One had a pistol, another cabinet had a rifle and during one sequence you'd fire at a row of bottles. Around 1977 I played a film arcade game that featured Japanese Zeros flying across the screen and a mini .30 cal machine gun. I loved that game since it came out around the same time as the movie Midway.

EDIT: D'oh! We're talking about the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzxcsaIxaZg

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Sep 12, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

Yeah everything is $.25 except for a couple of the machines. Pinball is usually $.50, with the really new stuff being .75. I never feel ripped off. They get a massive amount of walk-by traffic during the week and weekends.

Their current competition is Quarterworld. Little walk-by traffic, a larger number of games (most of which are .50, but some are up to $1) but some are broken, and there's a cover. I seriously don't think it's gonna make it in the long run. It's just too expensive for what it is.

lol if you're running an arcade and you let games go for more than a day broken you deserve to be going broke

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I guess I should feel lucky to live in New England, it seems like all the big arcades around me have a really good mix.

Joe's Playland in Salisbury, MA, while definitely teeming with little rear end kids during the summer, has a second floor with tons of classic cabinets and machines. Surprisingly there aren't any good photos of the place, but they do have this:

drat, I lived in Boston for 8 years and never found a place that quite scratched my itch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How could they have a gunman game like that with film? how would it switch whatever film it had for winning or losing?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Two reels and two lenses, running in sync, light switches on win/loss?

edit: I remember a very large arcade in the early 90's (now it's an indoor golf course I think) at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk that had a ton of aging machines. I think I saw Night Driving there once, and there was a large shooting gallery in a corner. Related to the gunslinger game, I believe there was also a cartoon racing game that ran on film, and when you crashed, it would somehow flip a slide that said CRASH in front of the film. It was enormous as well.

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Sep 13, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am actually so paranoid about arcade machines no longer existing in their classic form that after four years of searching, I finally found a guy who managed to find brand new 25" arcade crts. In 2007 when I began getting interested in making a MAME cabinet, you could get these Wells Gardner monitors for $50. Now only a few years later and you're looking at $400 with burn-in.

I bought two of them off the guy and now I have 3 total like some kind of dorky doomsday preper. I don't even remotely regret it though because I know if I have to replace the monitor in even ten years from now, it will be literally impossible (never mind finding one new which took me four years). These arcade monitors are not the same as CRT TVs that people used to watch TV on. Using those in an arcade cabinet does not look correct (though obviously way more correct than LCD). God bless these people hell bent on preserving arcade machines because me doing it to only one was an excruciating process.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
They are about to open a Dave&Buster's around here. Worth going to?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No pinball, and like I spent $120 there without blinking on lovely games and lovely food, yesterday.

Do not go.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tactlessbastard posted:

Food is TGI Friday's quality at double the price

The arcade's decent

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
^^I actually don't mind TGI Friday's but I found Dave and Buster's to be so much worse.

tactlessbastard posted:

They can be OK. Good times with a date. But don't expect any decent arcade games because they are usually just loaded with crap like Fruit Ninja. Though one I went to had the rare Mario Kart arcade game so your mileage may vary.

The food is absolutely horrible though and I am not a food snob.

Bowling and drinking and skiball can be good fun. Not the worst place in the world. But what I wouldn't give for a barcade that had Mortal Kombat 2/3 and Killer Instinct.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dave & Busters has all the shooting games like Time Crisis and House of the Dead if that's your thing. No fighting games and no old-school Simpsons/X-Men type beat-em-ups.

I've also noticed a disturbing new trend where literally cell phone games get big-screen arcade versions that are exactly the same game. Fruit Ninja was first, nowadays you see Angry Birds and Crossy Road and Cut the Rope and poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, it was disgusting.

Air hockey is always fun, though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There was a place in NJ where I grew up that was loving incredible. Indoor blacklight minigolf, candlepin bowling, laser tag, bumper cars, skeeball, and every drat kind of arcade game you could think of. All the standard racers and fighters, and those gun games where you sat in a car like the Lost World one and poo poo. They had all the cooler less popular stuff too, like those awesome Virtual On cabinets, Star Wars Podracer, the Punch-Out arcade game where you rotate the handles like actual fists to throw punches, etc. Man I loving miss that place so much. It closed years back, right around when Dance Dance Revolution got super-popular among high school goths; I remember they brought in a few of those machines right before they closed.
IIRC they also did punk and metal shows on the second floor, though the place was long gone by the time I hit that phase.

also Virtual On was/is a loving awesome game and both the arcade cabinet and the Saturn/PC ports were way ahead of their time as far as fighting games went

e: the worst thing is it closed so far back that I can't even find pictures of it on peoples' defunct Flickrs and poo poo, it sucks :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only good thing about Dave & Busters is that if you are with a large group, they usually forget to give someone a bill. One time I ate for free and another time my friend ate for free. I don't really feel bad because I've probably spent enough money on drinks and lovely games to make up for it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dave & Busters has all the shooting games like Time Crisis and House of the Dead if that's your thing.

Half of them will be broken or uncalibrated.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dave and Busters is more or less equivalent to Chuck E. Cheese if memory serves. Both are not good.

This place was good, but apparently no longer exists. Arnie's Place arcade in Westport, Connecticut. It was one of the highlights of the time I spent on the East coast as a kid.

http://www.arniesplacearcade.com/aboutarnies.html

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Dave and Busters is more or less equivalent to Chuck E. Cheese if memory serves. Both are not good.

This place was good, but apparently no longer exists. Arnie's Place arcade in Westport, Connecticut. It was one of the highlights of the time I spent on the East coast as a kid.

thank you for my new sig

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am actually so paranoid about arcade machines no longer existing in their classic form that after four years of searching, I finally found a guy who managed to find brand new 25" arcade crts. In 2007 when I began getting interested in making a MAME cabinet, you could get these Wells Gardner monitors for $50. Now only a few years later and you're looking at $400 with burn-in.

This is basically what made me not finish my MAME cabinet. The 25" CRT that came with the cabinet itself wouldn't sync to the required rates for various games and the OS, and trying to find a WG or similar multi-scan CRT in Australia was too hard. I'll finish it one day and use an LCD instead, but I'll be dirty about it the whole time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My local arcade had Star Wars Pod Racer and 18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker, two unique takes on racing games :thumbsup:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Those were both great-rear end games

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Hooooooooly poo poo! I used to go there all the time when I was younger, it's been probably 20 years since I last even thought of it, so thanks for posting this!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
there is a pretty cool story on ars technica about crazy people that still use OS 9

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09/an-os-9-odyssey-why-do-some-mac-users-still-rely-on-16-year-old-software/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I spy a goon being quoted in it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

These arcade monitors are not the same as CRT TVs that people used to watch TV on. Using those in an arcade cabinet does not look correct (though obviously way more correct than LCD).

Is it a difference in resolution, or something else?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Refresh rate I believe.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

thathonkey posted:

there is a pretty cool story on ars technica about crazy people that still use OS 9

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09/an-os-9-odyssey-why-do-some-mac-users-still-rely-on-16-year-old-software/

I have a pair of G4 Towers that run it because I cannot find OS X Drivers for my Formac ProFormance 3 video card which drives my sweetass SGI 1600SW

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

This was mentioned in the SA sagas thread. The schadenfreude is off the loving charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqhyHuKVKA

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

To this day I'm not sure what the difference is between the Ouya and those $20 Android boxes, except the Ouya has a decent-looking controller.

e: also those cheapo boxes never started a several-hundred-page thread full of hilarity as goons desperately tried to defend their sinking crapware ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Refresh rate on arcade monitors are only 15hz, also they are much lower resolution than even an SD CRT. When I tried arcade games on a standard CRT TV (like one you had in the 90s) everything had a slight fuzziness too it and it just looked wrong. Also if you go the MAME cabinet route you need a special video card so you can run Windows at 15hz and 320x240.