Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Social Dissonance posted:

My bet on the Wii U is that it tracks historically like the virtual boy, especially when every game worth playing gets ported to the switch. Some people will want to collect it for the scarcity it will definitely have later on, but not much else.

I've been calling the Wii U Nintendo's Saturn for a while now.

And that makes the Switch the Dreamcast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Charles Get-Out posted:

This would've been perfect. Especially since the Switch might actually have a 64-bit processor compared to the Wii U's 32-bit, this would be a more legit claim than the N64 branding.

Wait really? It's like every time I hear about the Wii U's specs they're worse than expected.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

Prettttty sure later models emulate PS1 rather than play from real hardware, anyone know for sure?

Actually I think all model PS3's treat PS1 games identically, but I tried to find verifiable info and came up empty.

The PS2 definitely has 3 different ways they're handled on PS3: "full hardware" (CECHA and CECHB PS3's), hybrid hardware/software emulator (CECHC and CECHE PS3's) and then no disc compatibility at all, only the PS2 classics which are full software emulation solutions (and which run identically on all PS3 models).

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

TheRedEye posted:

Prettttty sure later models emulate PS1 rather than play from real hardware, anyone know for sure?

All PS3's emulate PSX games.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mentioned last page, but Kinda thinking of selling my SNES Everdrive and getting a SD2SNES. Would anyone buy the Super Everdrive I have if I made a SA Mart thread? It has the chip that adds DSPI support to it.

Or is it just worth it to keep the Super Everdrive. The rest of the chip game support and soundtrack support do sound nice through.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Instant Sunrise posted:

All PS3's emulate PSX games.

Even the early models that do native PS2? I guess I always assumed native PS1 came with that.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

TheRedEye posted:

Even the early models that do native PS2? I guess I always assumed native PS1 came with that.

The PS2 used a PSX CPU as an I/O processor while emulating the PSX GPU on the Graphics Synthesizer. The launch PS3's didn't include that chip, so they used software emulation of the PSX from the start, even if they were natively running PS2 games.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Instant Sunrise posted:

The PS2 used a PSX CPU as an I/O processor while emulating the PSX GPU on the Graphics Synthesizer. The launch PS3's didn't include that chip, so they used software emulation of the PSX from the start, even if they were natively running PS2 games.

The controllers were USB at that point, not PSIO, so the PS1 APU didn't have that much purpose anymore for PS2 games and even the Cell could brute-force the PS1.

The PSP didn't really brute-force the PS1 processing because it didn't really have to: the PSP's instruction set was a clean superset of the PS1's - although it still had to account for PS1 quirks the PSP didn't exhibit. The graphics were likely different and I don't remember the story with that part.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 26, 2017

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

fishmech posted:

Wait really? It's like every time I hear about the Wii U's specs they're worse than expected.

I'm pretty sure the PS4 and Xbox One processors were x86 as well. Consoles are just behind the times.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm pretty sure the PS4 and Xbox One processors were x86 as well. Consoles are just behind the times.

x86 has been mostly 64-bit (AMD64/Intel EM64T), with the exception of netbooks and the occasional Intel phone attempt, for over a decade.

The PS4 and Xbone are built around customized 64-bit APUs.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Random Stranger posted:

The Dreamcast was the one with the screen on the controller though.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The Wii U's CPU is essentially a triple-core G3 with some extra CPU cache.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

But the Saturn was good and popular in Japan. The Wii U isn't really good and isn't popular anywhere.

Edit for Sunrise response: it did? I did not know that. Especially given how Japan seems to both not like home consoles at all and the sheer volume of JPN Ps4 titles that rarely get a USA release. I shall stand corrected. Even if it's funnier to bash on the Wii U for childish reasons.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 26, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Charles Get-Out posted:

They're x86-64, just like PCs have been for ages.

Instant Sunrise posted:

The Wii U's CPU is essentially a triple-core G3 with some extra CPU cache.

Well, yeah, but with about 15 years of changes from the original 1997 G3 750 model they built the GameCube CPU off of, despite keeping the basic design.

In comparison the 64 bit PowerPC design used for the main core of the PS3 Cell CPU, and the triple core of the Xbox 360, is based on the PowerPC G5 chips released in 2003, though with some significant changes in each. And so it was only a more or less 3 year old design when it shipped to customers.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

But the Saturn was good and popular in Japan. The Wii U isn't really good and isn't popular anywhere.

Actually, until September of last year, the Wii U had sold more consoles in Japan than the PS4.

And the total number of Xbox one sales over there amounted to a rounding error.

So yeah, the Wii U was more successful in Japan, making the Saturn comparison valid.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 26, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Mentioned last page, but Kinda thinking of selling my SNES Everdrive and getting a SD2SNES. Would anyone buy the Super Everdrive I have if I made a SA Mart thread? It has the chip that adds DSPI support to it.

Or is it just worth it to keep the Super Everdrive. The rest of the chip game support and soundtrack support do sound nice through.

I've gotten plenty of use out of my SD2SNES. This topic comes up every once in a while so here are the added bonuses:

- Automatic region patching
- MSU-1 patch support
- Fast loading times, nice menu
- More game support (personally I dig Mega Man X2 and X3 chip support the most)

I totally understand going through with the process of thinking about what's the best bang for buck. But personally I got the most advanced models on all of the flashcarts I bought from Krikzz (SD2SNES, N8 Everdrive, Mega Everdrive X7) because if I'm gonna make a purchase I might as well get the best I can - all the little details and quality of life improvements add up for me.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Triggered. PS4 and XBone are 64 bit x86 processors.

Wii U is a tricore power pc 750 based processor with modernization such as enhanced instruction set and edram for more and faster cache make it much faster than a g3 processor. PowerPC architecture is also different from x86 in which the limitations of 32 bit such as register starvation that occurs within a 32 bit x86 application do not exist. Switching to 64 bit on powerpc only really benefits for large memory addressing which is irrelevant with 2 gb ram.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah. I don't regret skipping the advance N64 Everdrive as the only improvements for that are just Animal Crossing and Pokemon Stadium 2 support and auto SRAM, which isn't worth 100 more for those two things.

What the difference on the Genesis? Right now that is the only one I still have a bootleg Everdrive (Everdrive MD) which I got from Amazon. It works fine and seems to function as a proper Genesis Everdrive, so I probably don't need to get rid of it for now, but if I did I probably get the advance one you mentioned.

What was the NES difference as well?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The biggest problem with the Everdrive series is the use of B to select and A to cancel :argh:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zamujasa posted:

The biggest problem with the Everdrive series is the use of B to select and A to cancel :argh:

Latest FW on some (not all) of the everdrives are able to reverse it in a setting.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

actually gonna agree w/rufus here, saturn has a large library with many excellent games. the wii u is more like nintendo's PC-FX

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

actually gonna agree w/rufus here, saturn has a large library with many excellent games. the wii u is more like nintendo's PC-FX

you leave my beloved baby-pc-tower anime console out of this :argh:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's only 197 physical release Wii U games counting all known announced games that aren't out yet, and not going to be many more than that. So at least it'll be easy to collect for!

(In comparison, there were about 596 Sega Saturn releases)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

Uhh Virtual Boy would be Nintendo's PC-FX

Wii U would be like maybe an Atari 7800 in my opinion. An upgrade to a console with no real purpose and heavily underutilized.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Are there any Japanese Wii U exlcusives that americans will be clamoring for down the road?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

cosmicjim posted:

Are there any Japanese Wii U exlcusives that americans will be clamoring for down the road?

Big Drum Master: Wii U Version (Rhythm game)
Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Collection (action RPG. PS2 HD port)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 with Power-Up Kit (Historical strategy)
Dragon Quest X (MMO)
Monster Hunter Frontier G (MMO)

Not really since all of these are on other systems and also the Wii U is still region locked.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

There's only 197 physical release Wii U games counting all known announced games that aren't out yet, and not going to be many more than that. So at least it'll be easy to collect for!

(In comparison, there were about 596 Sega Saturn releases)

Jeez, the Saturn had a lot of games. Always wanted to try the system too.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
e. can't read

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Big Drum Master: Wii U Version (Rhythm game)
Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Collection (action RPG. PS2 HD port)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 with Power-Up Kit (Historical strategy)
Dragon Quest X (MMO)
Monster Hunter Frontier G (MMO)

Not really since all of these are on other systems and also the Wii U is still region locked.

Without experiencing it directly, I suspect the Taiko Drum Master port for Wii U is probably really good. Or at least uses the controller well.

Also, best RotTK game is X and there's no need for XII. :colbert:

Rirse posted:

Jeez, the Saturn had a lot of games. Always wanted to try the system too.

The hardware is terrible technically, probably the most ill conceived of the major systems. And the majority of the games were Japan exclusive. But there's a lot of gems in the library, mainly from Sega themselves though Capcom also provided a lot of great titles. It's also now absurdly expensive to collect.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Japanese Saturn junk is cheap as hell and SSF is a really good emulator~

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Charles Get-Out posted:

Japanese Saturn junk is cheap as hell and SSF is a really good emulator~

Wow, I am surprise Saturn has a good emulator now. I figured it would be stuck in the same limbo the original Xbox is at. Always seems to happens to any system that has a Panzer Dragoon game on it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

cosmicjim posted:

Just Dance Yokai Watch

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The hardware is terrible technically, probably the most ill conceived of the major systems.

Are you sure you want to say that about the same console generation that has the Jaguar?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

Wow, I am surprise Saturn has a good emulator now. I figured it would be stuck in the same limbo the original Xbox is at. Always seems to happens to any system that has a Panzer Dragoon game on it.

It's true. That R-Zone emulator has been stalled forever.

I'm kind of disappointed that there hasn't been a revival/remake of Panzer Dragoon for the 3DS. The two would really go together well and Sega has been willing to rework their older stuff for the system...

Instant Sunrise posted:

Are you sure you want to say that about the same console generation that has the Jaguar?

I said "major". :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

It's also the same generation that had the Amiga CD32 and the Apple Pippin, which were both horrible trashfires of design.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

drat, that early 90s SFC plastic can be eggshell brittle. Bought a dead unit on eBay to try and retrobright. Was packaged allright, but when I opened it and picked it up it just kind of.. caved in.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Rirse posted:

It won't run a few games that deal with the video playback/processing part of the hardware, but it runs the intensive 3D games like Panzer Dragoon and Burning Rangers just fine as well as pretty much any other game people would be interested in.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Charles Get-Out posted:

It won't run a few games that deal with the video playback/processing part of the hardware, but it runs the intensive 3D games like Panzer Dragoon and Burning Rangers just fine as well as pretty much any other game people would be interested in.

Intensive 3D games in this case being intensive 2D games with a bunch of weird poo poo being done to the sprites. It should have been difficult for Sega to whiff on the design of their 32-bit console as badly as they did, seeing how their Model 2 and 3 hardware ruled the high-end arcade market, but they managed somehow (although I suppose the arcade systems being co-designed by Lockheed Martin didn't help the team working on the consumer hardware). It's kind of a shame, too - the Saturn was the best console ever when it came to shoving massive amounts of sprites around, but it came along at the same time an upstart named Sony started wowing crowds with blocky, jittery 3D games. Slapping another CPU onto the motherboard and releasing 6 months early weren't enough to compensate.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 27, 2017

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Intensive 3D games in this case being intensive 2D games with a bunch of weird poo poo being done to the sprites. It should have been difficult for Sega to whiff on the design of their 32-bit console as badly as they did, seeing how their Model 2 and 3 hardware ruled the high-end arcade market, but they managed somehow (although I suppose the arcade systems being co-designed by Lockheed Martin didn't help the team working on the consumer hardware). It's kind of a shame, too - the Saturn was the best console ever when it came to shoving massive amounts of sprites around, but it came along at the same time an upstart named Sony started wowing crowds with blocky, jittery 3D games. Slapping another CPU onto the motherboard and releasing 6 months early weren't enough to compensate.

Uh...what do you mean? In what way is Burning Rangers not a 3D game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh2Ujhqzuec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Intensive 3D games in this case being intensive 2D games with a bunch of weird poo poo being done to the sprites.

In the same sense that the Sony PlayStation's rendering system was as well, sure.

• Locked thread