Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Das Boo posted:

If people wanna say it's one of the most important films ever made, you might as well take a hard look.

Important almost always doesn't translate into being entertaining/enjoyable. If you're interested in the history and development of film then fine, watch it, but I don't want to feel like I'm doing a homework assignment when I sit down to watch a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Jesus, it's not a difficult movie to watch. If anything the abstract nature makes it easier. Just watch it and don't try to create a narrative out of the images, instead take it as a form of relaxing meditation that doesn't have to have a structure.

People who think art is "hard" and "pretentious" generally think so because they are insecure and try to overthink things, when the correct way to enjoy such things is with as much naivite and childlike wonder as you can muster. Let your primal, uninformed feelings guide you.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Jul 29, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it's OK you don't like something.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it's OK you don't like something.

no

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And that's OK!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Jesus, it's not a difficult movie to watch. If anything the abstract nature makes it easier. Just watch it and don't try to create a narrative out of the images, instead take it as a form of relaxing meditation that doesn't have to have a structure.

People who think art is "hard" and "pretentious" generally think so because they are insecure and try to overthink things, when the correct way to enjoy such things is with as much naivite and childlike wonder as you can muster. Let your primal, uninformed feelings guide you.

Art is art but I'm not going to go out of my way to look at/watch it if it is not entertaining to me. It is pretentious if you have to explain to people how they are supposed to enjoy it (implying they don't know how), but pretentious doesn't necessarily mean bad. But movies are primarily entertainment. If I want to watch something after dinner to unwind I'll be much more likely to put in jurassic park or bad boys 2 than citizen kane or schindlers list or some obscure french art film.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Citizen Kane is dull and horrible. I don't know why people think it's the greatest movie ever made.

It's reputation is based on innovation more than entertainment. I think it's decent enough.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Citizen Kane is dull and horrible. I don't know why people think it's the greatest movie ever made.

Ted Rall?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Is this guy a gamer

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's reputation is based on innovation more than entertainment. I think it's decent enough.

It's plot structure, strictly speaking, is antiquated, but it still has plenty of spectacle to make up for it. It is a beautiful movie, in a way that compliments its story.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Is this guy a gamer

No, he's the worst political cartoonist ever.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WampaLord posted:

No, he's the worst political cartoonist ever.

You wouldn't know it from that particular strip though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

You wouldn't know it from that particular strip though.

Would you say you agree with his obituary of Ebert that he used to glorify his own ego?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Would you say you agree with his obituary of Ebert that he used to glorify his own ego?

Yeah sure why the heck not :confused:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Because that cartoon is completely repugnant.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

im sure thats exactly how his conversation with rogert ebert went down and he's not "misremembering" the details at all, and that regardless of the details, he is completely right to poo poo talk a dead guy, let alone one of the most well-known critics in the US who had recently passed of the time of this comic.

its me, im the guy saying "calm your tits" to zelda williams after her dad died

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

I don't know who that is. Ebert was alright. He was a simple man who liked boobs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

spit on my clit posted:

im sure thats exactly how his conversation with rogert ebert went down and he's not "misremembering" the details at all, and that regardless of the details, he is completely right to poo poo talk a dead guy, let alone one of the most well-known critics in the US who had recently passed of the time of this comic.

its me, im the guy saying "calm your tits" to zelda williams after her dad died

He is right to do so, but if his "criticism" is "he dumb", he's just an rear end in a top hat.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

spit on my clit posted:

im sure thats exactly how his conversation with rogert ebert went down and he's not "misremembering" the details at all, and that regardless of the details

even as is it seems pretty bad

"there was this time i told ebert (a dummy) that an older, widely acclaimed film was boring and unwatchable in modern times and he didn't even argue against my subjective experience of the film! he just provided historical context for why the film receives the praise that it does and why others might see its merits and he did it in a way that i couldn't dispute! he actually sat with me for an hour on this! truly, he was an idiot"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

steinrokkan posted:

I guess we just disagree entirely on Kubrick films, but I can promise you from industry experience the fine art community is as pretentious and elitist as all loving get out to the point of revulsion.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Art is art but I'm not going to go out of my way to look at/watch it if it is not entertaining to me. It is pretentious if you have to explain to people how they are supposed to enjoy it (implying they don't know how), but pretentious doesn't necessarily mean bad. But movies are primarily entertainment. If I want to watch something after dinner to unwind I'll be much more likely to put in jurassic park or bad boys 2 than citizen kane or schindlers list or some obscure french art film.

It is your fault if you don't know how to enjoy it. Weather you think so or not. You have to recognize your personal tastes and biased attitude. If something is obtuse and slower and it doesn't entertain you it's because you've decided to not enjoy it. Also citizen Kane isn't some complicated art film or anything. It's not even slow. It's very fast moving and has very traditional storytelling about broad themes of hubris and greed. Just admit that you don't really feel like thinking hard when watching a film and want to watch dumb fun movies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I haven't seen the whole movie but I've always thought Jurassic Park was boring. (Which is why I haven't seen the whole movie.)

e: I mean that's not exactly an opinion but anyway. If I am bored by something it is, by definition, boring :shrug:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I haven't seen the whole movie but I've always thought Jurassic Park was boring. (Which is why I haven't seen the whole movie.)

e: I mean that's not exactly an opinion but anyway. If I am bored by something it is, by definition, boring :shrug:

That's fine but you've really just said nothing, and you have made it impossible to talk about the movie with you. That's why saying something is boring is boring criticism.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_Rob posted:

you have made it impossible to talk about the movie with you.

But... that's the perfect outcome for me, isn't it?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

But... that's the perfect outcome for me, isn't it?

Yeah but that's why you're better off just not saying anything about it at all really.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Now let me tell you what I think about Bad Boys 2

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It's really bad, and relies entirely on shock humor to make up for lazy writing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have not seen bad boys 2

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i haven't seen bad boys II, but i've seen Hot Fuzz

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should stop splitting restrooms, sports, and award ceremonies by sex. Sports teams should include men and women, and there should be no best female or best male actor category. It's just best actor, period. I mean if you're splitting it already, why not have best male director and best female director categories. Best male CGI studio and best female CGI studio, and best male or female composers. Make it so the academy award ceremony can be done in half the time.

It might be a little unfair when it comes to sports but it will be way more interesting.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Aug 1, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

It might be a little unfair when it comes to sports but it will be way more interesting.

Yeah it'll be super interesting to watch men punch women in the head or tackle them while weighing 100 more pounds. Or less problematically, just dunking on them over and over because they can't do anything about a 7 foot, 280-pound guy.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

They should stop splitting restrooms, sports, and award ceremonies by sex. Sports teams should include men and women, and there should be no best female or best male actor category. It's just best actor, period. I mean if you're splitting it already, why not have best male director and best female director categories. Best male CGI studio and best female CGI studio, and best male or female composers. Make it so the academy award ceremony can be done in half the time.

if they just had a "best actor" category, and a man won that, there'd be so much outrage that a female did not win.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also legalize steroids for athletes under medical supervision. The movie stars do it already and kids look up to them. I guarantee Ben Affleck took them to bulk up for Batman. Stop pretending sports people are heroes for children and instead let's find out how far we can push our bodies through hardcore science.

Yeah it'll be super interesting to watch men punch women in the head or tackle them while weighing 100 more pounds. Or less problematically, just dunking on them over and over because they can't do anything about a 7 foot, 280-pound guy.

This will never happen because teams will only recruit the best players. Why would they have female players that are underweight? They would have someone that's like Brienne of Tarth. They could just make more league categories like in soccer for lesser players.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Aug 1, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Also legalize steroids for athletes under medical supervision. The movie stars do it already and kids look up to them. I guarantee Ben Affleck took them to bulk up for Batman. Stop pretending sports people are heroes for children and instead let's find out how far we can push our bodies through hardcore science.

This will never happen because teams will only recruit the best players. Why would they have female players that are underweight? They would have someone that's like Brienne of Tarth. They could just make more league categories like in soccer for lesser players.

I am completely ok with all this. If people want to gently caress themselves up on steroids so they can do the 100 metres in 3 seconds, I want to see that.

As for the problem of women competing with men, wouldn't weight categories go a long way to solving that? Plus, it opens up the possibility of the 100 metre sprint for people weighing over 400 pounds.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

I am completely ok with all this. If people want to gently caress themselves up on steroids so they can do the 100 metres in 3 seconds, I want to see that.

As for the problem of women competing with men, wouldn't weight categories go a long way to solving that? Plus, it opens up the possibility of the 100 metre sprint for people weighing over 400 pounds.

Weight classes in football at least would ruin the game. I think you need all weights from the skinny short dudes to punt the ball and the 350+ pound behemoths on the defensive line for the game to be played at its highest level.

Anyway the system is fine as it is (for most sports - maybe it'd work in something like tennis but who cares about tennis). All you'd do by making just one league is keep 99.9% of women out of professional sports. There's clearly a market for them (albeit not as large) at least in basketball and sports like that, so why get rid of them so the tiny handful (if any) that would be qualified could play in the NBA? I get the idea but it falls apart immediately if you start considering it objectively.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

This is already happening. Only cycling has taken anti-doping at all seriously.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sunswipe posted:

As for the problem of women competing with men, wouldn't weight categories go a long way to solving that?

Not at all.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Weight classes in football at least would ruin the game. I think you need all weights from the skinny short dudes to punt the ball and the 350+ pound behemoths on the defensive line for the game to be played at its highest level.

Anyway the system is fine as it is (for most sports - maybe it'd work in something like tennis but who cares about tennis). All you'd do by making just one league is keep 99.9% of women out of professional sports. There's clearly a market for them (albeit not as large) at least in basketball and sports like that, so why get rid of them so the tiny handful (if any) that would be qualified could play in the NBA? I get the idea but it falls apart immediately if you start considering it objectively.

Fair enough. Not being into sports, I haven't put a lot of thought into it. I just really want to see ridiculously unsuitable people doing events. Feel free to make a joke about your least favorite sports team at this point.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd agree on merging best actor/actress category if Hollywood could make it about the actual acting and not social and political wanking.
Which it can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

"Supporting Actor" is a joke too. JK Simmons isn't a "supporting" in Whiplash.